“Would definitely stay here again!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Krystal Grand Punta Cancun

You added Krystal Grand Punta Cancun to your Saves list
Krystal Grand Punta Cancun
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Blvd Kukulcan Km 8.5 | Hotel Zone, Cancun 77500, Mexico (Formerly Hyatt Regency Cancun)   |
Ranked #62 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
Sydney, Australia
“Would definitely stay here again!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2011

I booked this hotel for the 1st leg of our honeymoon on Gold Passport points, staying 5 nights in a Regency Suite and 4 nights in an Ocean View room.... and I was VERY VERY happy! The Hyatt has to be in one of the best spots in the Cancun hotel zone, being just a short walk from the hustle and bussle of the nightclub/restaurant strip, and even closer to bus stops to catch the bus into downtown Cancun. Yeah OK, the hotel is a little old.... but as soon as you open the blinds to the balcony you immediately forget the room behind you, with one of the best views in Cancun right in front of you, and besides that - you are in CANCUN; you should be out on the beach, in a restaurant, seeing the sights and havintg fun OUTDOORS, not cooped up in your hotel room whining about the water pressure and the dated decor (which PS, i thought was fine and very befitting of the region).

So here's my rundown in point form:
- FANTASTIC location in the Cancun hotel zone
- breakfast buffet was good, as was the free Regency Club breakfast (which you get with regency club rooms)
- FREE DRINKS between 5-7pm in the Regency Club room if you have a Regency club room
- restaurants very close (walking distance)
- nightclubs and nightlife just walking distance
- Would DEFINITELY recommend catching the bus into downtown Cancun for a more affordable and more fun dinner experience. Bus is like 8 pesos/person, and food is MUCH cheaper and better quality in downtown.
- semi-private beach, with PLENTY of shaded lounges on the beach
- very attentive staff.... you will never wait more than 5 minutes between finishing one drink and ordering another
- pools are excellent, and daily activities are available if you run out of things to do
- there is an OXXO (like a 7-eleven) across the road to get cheap beers and snacks for your room

I could write heaps about how much of an awesome time i had here... but i think most of the recent reviews echo my sentiments.

The only negatives I have are:
- mini bar fridges arent very cold. I opted to buy a bag of ice and fill up the bathroom sink with ice to chill the beers i bought from the OXXO across the road
- the housekeeping lady mixed up my laundry request... i asked for a couple of my wifes dresses to be dry cleaned, and the rest of the laundry just washed as per normal. But she didnt speak english and just washed everything normally. No big deal - if the dresses were expensive I wouldve completely separated the laundry requests (ie, call in each request 1 hour apart or something) and then clearly point out that the dresses were for dry cleaning. My mistake really for giving unclear instructions.

Overall - i had an absolutely awesome time here. Would DEFINITELY chose to stay at the Hyatt again, even if i was paying :)

Room Tip: Use points to upgrade to a regency suite!!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
HyattRegCancun, Guest Relations Manager at Krystal Grand Punta Cancun, responded to this review, July 29, 2011
Dear Guests:

Thank you so much for giving us the opportunity to host you during such an important occasion! We are very happy to learn you enjoyed your stay, and hopefully when you next plan on traveling back to Mexico, you will stay again with us.

We also want to apologize for the incident with your laundry; your comment has open an opportunity to reinforce our English program with our back of the house staff.

All of us look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Assistant to GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (353)
  • Greek first
Overland Park, KS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2011

We stayed here from March 31st to April 7th and had a great time. Many items that we were going to write in our review have recently been mentioned, so I'll just add a few other observations. Our last 4 trips to Mexico (2 in Cancun and 2 in Puerto Vallarta) had been to All Inclusive resorts. Based on a good deal we received at the Hyatt we were willing to give the non AI a try again and we were glad we did. This hotel is quiet. The mass of people at the pool playing the "chair game" does not exist here. It was very refreshing to be able to come down to the pool or go to a palapa on the beach and always be able to find one. The staff at the hotel was great and so was the food. I might also add that our bed was definitely the most comfortable bed we have ever slept in while in Mexico. While we were laying out by the pool one day the Spa staff came by and offered us a great price on a massage. My wife had one and she said it was excellent. One other aspect we enjoyed at this hotel were these Cabana type loungers that were out by the pool. In all, a great time at a great resort that was truly relaxing. We definitely recommend this hotel!

Dear Guests:

Thank you so much for your kind comments. We are very happy to learn you truly enjoyed Cancun, its beautiful Caribbean sea and staying with us, and that our goal, of pleasing our guests, was achieved.

We certainly hope your next holiday plans in the not too distant future, include staying with us!

Pune
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2011

I actually stayed at the Hyatt in 2009 and I had a great time there. The rooms are super nice, the over all ambience is definitely luxury-holiday. The pool is just off the ocean and the restaurant just a little away from the pool. Hence you have a great view of the ocean and beach from your room, the restaurant and the pool - what more can you ask for. The staff are friendly, attentive and polite. The food is good if standard for such hotels. Location-wise , its a fairly straight drive from the airport as are most hotels. But it's also walking distance from other stores, restaurants and city center. There is a bus stop at the base of the hotel driveway, which is very convenient. If you book at the right times, you could get great deals.

Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
HyattRegCancun, Guest Relations Manager at Krystal Grand Punta Cancun, responded to this review, August 4, 2011
Dear Guest:

Thank you so much for your kind comments. We are very happy to learn you enjoyed your stay and hopefully, when you decide to come back to Cancun, you may stay with us for a nice R&R.

We look forward to hosting you again!

Fort Worth, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2011

Stayed at the Hyatt Regency Cancun for a family wedding. I knew the hotel was an older one, so I wasn't expecting much, but was pleasantly surprised. Expected the typical Cancun nickel & dime, but this place was very nice. Reserved an ocean view room, but I am guessing this hotel counts 3 out of a possible 4 views as ocean views. I would personally only count one (east) or maybe two (north and e) as such. Our view was down the beach to the south, but directly under our balcony was the a/c unit for the pool area, so no surf was to be heard! Food was typically expensive, but very good. A special deal at the Hyatt at that time made it basically half off (buy $200 credit for $100, etc). The drinks at the bar were somewhat weak, but were actually made with real fruit etc, not cheap syrup, and served in real glass or plastic cups, not disposable ones. We did have some issues with tiny flies in the room that were apparently coming out of the drain. The maid fixed this by plugging the sink overflow drain with tissue.

The beach was very nice, although the sand in the area is pretty shelly. They have a breakwater, so you can acutally swim most of the time, even if there is a high wind. Plenty of beach chairs, and plenty of shade to be found. Nice free beds too. Being on the point means there is always a breeze which is great! The common area inside of the hotel tends to get warm as the huge skylight at the top lets in tons of heat, but the rooms cool down nicely. Heat rises, so the higher you go, the hotter the common area. No free internet- lame! You may be able to snag a free signal from an adjacent hotel.

After the wedding was over we switched to a different hotel in Cancun- wish we had stayed at the Hyatt!

Room Tip: East view is the only true Ocean view!
Dear Guests:

Thank you very much for your comments; we take them very seriously and we assure you we will continue making the best effort to correct the opportunity areas you have kindly pointed out to us; hopefully you will consider visiting Cancun again and staying with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back!

Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2011

A new blocks wall in ocean to stop waves, currents make Hyatt beach closest , safiest of all area...Full space, large beach and biggest numbers of chair always availlable on beach and pool as well. Perfectly clean everywhere, felt like into a cathedral echoes inspiring quietness. Breakfast lunch buffet is worth it very great choices and best qualities. We got 50% discount offer on all purchase resto, bar during all month as usual every year promotion.

Room Tip: view on the beach
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
HyattRegCancun, Guest Relations Manager at Krystal Grand Punta Cancun, responded to this review, August 10, 2011
Dear guests:

Thank you so much for your kind comments.

We are glad to learn you enjoyed the beach area and the calming, relaxing sounds of this beautiful Caribbean ocean; also happy to learn you enjoyed the menu, and hopefully, all will contribute to your future choice of hotel next time you come back to Cancun.

Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2011

Free in room internet -but bring your own computer. We had a regency club room for myself, my huband, and the 2 girls- 15 and 10 yrs old. We had a great time with good continental breakfast-free for regency club members free in room internet-we had our own computer, lots of activities by the pool learned some Salsa lessons, by the pool, hardeouvers and drinks, including Margarita and tequilla sun rise in the evening in the regency club room were free and the beach is phenominal. The staff are friendly The location is great for the hotel. You can walk to the down town practically in 5 minutes where lots of activity and night life in the evenining. OXXo- convenient store- 24/7 is right across the hotel is also convenient to get some milk and crackers in between for snacks.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Dear guests:

Thank you so much for you kind comments regarding your stay.

It is nice to learn you and you family had a great time, enjoyed yourselves and relaxed too. We certainly hope this will be, as you said, the first of many happy returns. Do let us know, we will be happy to welcoming you back!

Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2011

I honestly loved this hotel. My husband and I stayed there from March 31- April 4 and I was completely happy with this selection. I'll do a quick review of what I was able to experience. Next time we go to Cancun, we will be staying at this hotel again.

Hotel:
Pros.- Fantastic and beautifully decorated. I love the architecture of this building. If you get an ocean side room, you can't go wrong. Since the building has a circular design any ocean side room will have a wonderful view! It has an open atrium in the middle with a stained glass roof with offers great daylight to the inside of the building! The site itself is beautiful! Lovely landscaping, great pool locations and they have bed cabanas located in front of the beach for you to relax on. All the staff were very helpful and very attentive. They were fast and never kept you waiting. Very friendly.
Location of this hotel is GREAT! It was close to bus stops, supermarkets, restaurants, stores, etc. I noticed how far a lot of resorts are compared to the Hyatt and I was happy we were within walking distance to all these locations.
Most important for us, there were no spring breakers at this hotel. The atmosphere at the hotel is one of a tranquil and relaxing.

Cons.- None

Room:
Pros.- The bed was very comfortable! We slept like rocks throughout our stay. The view was fantastic. The room was clean. They have safe deposit boxes in the room, refrigerator/w minibar, bedroom/bed-robes slippers for your use. Extra pillows. The shower worked perfectly fine in our room and the pressure of the water was fine.

Cons.- The a/c was a little slow the first night we were there but after we called guest services and let them know that our room was a little too hot but they did something to the a/c and it was nice and fresh the rest of the days. Refrigerator was a little old and it was for mini-bar use only.

Beach:
Pros.- After reading about all the lounger hoarders on this site I was a little concerned about not being able to get a lounge chair or having to get up at a ridiculous time to save a chair but this was not the case at all. I was able to get to the beach at 11:00am and there was more than enough loungers for anyone. The loungers have their own umbrella hut for shade and there were enough of those too. All the little tables between the loungers have a note saying that "you are not allowed to save loungers" which I personally found really nice. The beach has nice white sand with a lifeguard located directly in front of our beach. I did notice that the water on our side of the beach was much calmer compared to the beach in front of the Krystal (thanks to the groin).
The beach was never packed making it for a nice/relaxing time at the beach.

Con.- There is some erosion but nothing that will spoil the stay.

Restaurants:
Pro.- They said they were going to have a buffet the entire time of April. We, were happy with the selections they had and the food was good. Like others said, it was good but nothing over the top.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
HyattRegCancun, Guest Relations Manager at Krystal Grand Punta Cancun, responded to this review, August 12, 2011
Dear guests:

Thank you so much for your kind comments regarding your stay. We are very happy to learn you found our hotel and services up to your expectations.

We have taken note of your suggestions regarding one of our restaurants and will do our best to improve it.

Looking forward to welcoming you back,

Assistant to GM

Been to Krystal Grand Punta Cancun? Share your experiences!