“might not be what your expecting” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Crown Paradise Club Cancun

Save Saved
You added Crown Paradise Club Cancun to your Saves list
Crown Paradise Club Cancun
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd. Kukulkan Km 18.5 | Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Ranked #75 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Leicester, United Kingdom
“might not be what your expecting”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

Just got back from crown paradise, the reviews on here worried me before we went and the poor an average reviews are about right. To be honest its suppose to be a 4* but that's hard to believe. It has its good points but also its bad. The place could defiantly do with some refurbishing. The food is not to a very good standard the, best place to eat is fisherman's or the French restaurant. The phoning for a reservation is a joke unless you've paid for the purple wristband an then you have your own concierge which makes it easier. The quality of the alcohol is pretty poor, struggled to get drunk.!(every thing was watered down). It would be nice to see a menu of cocktails and drinks to see what you could have. Had paid for crown paradise club room, the room was good but pretty basic an dated but did have a nice view. The cupboard door was missing in front of the mini bar and the hinges left on for you to catch yourself on if you weren't careful. We were on the 6th floor and the floors must be pretty thin cause if anyone had heels on upstairs you could hear every step also if they used the double jet bath sounded like a plane was taking off. If your a couple and your going there, the best place to go to is the adult pool. Its the place to get away from the kids an also the barman there Melchior was a legend, mixing up awesome cocktails and serving drinks always with a big smile on his face. He was the best member off staff there, he deserves a pay rise. The only downside of the pool is the view of the abandoned hotel and the sewage works. The staff there, some are pleasant an some miserable but that's because there over worked an under paid. One of the best nights was the beach party sat on the beach and being able to drink outside and the bbq food. was good. Downside it finished at 10. There is no where to sit outside and have a drink at night. Being from the UK we don't wanna be sat inside drinking the weathers that bad at home we can do that here. Its lacking in some where to have a few drinks and some music with a atmosphere. The best part of the holiday was to meet some great friends there, that made the holiday drinking an having laugh with them and having nights out in Cancun. We only stayed at this hotel cause it was to surprise my mate for his 30th an this is where they had booked. We ended up moving to Moon Palace for the last 4 nights since we'd stayed there before and needed a bit of luxury. To sum this place up imagine Benidorm (on ITV) but situated in Cancun. If you want cheap and cheerful(not value for money) come here if you want luxury for not that much more money stay at Moon Palace or one of the Palace resorts.

Room Tip: go to moon palace
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Jaki J, Guest Relations Manager at Crown Paradise Club Cancun, responded to this review, May 26, 2013
Dear Tim S,

I would like to first thank you for sharing your experience with us. Your comments help us to find areas for opportunity of improvement so we can continue to offer improved service to our guests.

I would also like to apologize on behalf of the Crown Paradise. We are sorry you did not enjoy your experience at our hotel to the point of suggesting not only vacationers stay at another hotel but a specific hotel as well. Did you mention any of your issues with the hotel? In situations when our guests have any special comments, requests (such as the location of the room not being to your liking) we strongly encourage guests to contact our Guests Services Manager, this always give us an opportunity to give guests options to ensure a memorable vacation stay.

Thank you for the special mention of Melchior. We are very fortunate to have him on our team and thank you again for taking the time in posting.

Social Media Coordinator

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (773)
Staten Island, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

I rely heavily on reviews so I will return the favor. We stayed 5/14 – 5/20.

The place is very clean. There is always someone cleaning something all day long. The floor by the main pool could have been cleaner however.

Having to make reservations for dinner was annoying. If you decide you don’t want to eat at the time and place you chose at 8AM the morning before, you were stuck with the buffet which we didn’t enjoy much. And some of the restaurants were closed on certain days but they don't tell you that until you try to make your reservation for that restaurant.

The room:
We upgraded to the VIP club room (adults only) and it was pretty small and HOT but still worth it. I asked for a second fan for the room and they accommodated me. The patio was small and there was no door handle on the outside to get back in. Don't close it all the way when you're out there unless someone stays inside the room. I got stuck out there. The room was very humid and smelled musty. My purse and some other items still smell like the room. I’ve stayed in Cancun before and did not have this problem. The bed was comfortable. The mini bar wasn’t cold enough but we found if you left the dresser door open it got colder because the exhaust heat from the fridge was able to escape. They stocked it daily and even left a note saying they tried to stock it when we put up the “do not disturb” sign. With the VIP upgrade you can enjoy a quiet buffet breakfast on the 8th floor. There was a free computer for 15 minute use - and the friendly gal in there (Sandra?) booked our dinner reservations every morning and answered any questions we had about the hotel. They open the bar up in that room at night so it was a nice place to go and have a quiet drink in an air conditioned place as most of the rest of the hotel is way too hot. The bar with the pool tables at the end of the main hall was so hot we couldn’t stay in there.

The restaurants:
San Sious/French = amazing. Don’t miss that one. It’s worth getting dressed up for. Try the French Onion Soup and the chicken & mushrooms over puff pastry appetizer.

Fisherman’s/Seafood – also amazing but since my boyfriend doesn’t like seafood we didn’t re-visit. Grilled shrimp were delish.

Los Gallos/Mexican – We loved the food, ambiance, Mariachi band. The squash cream soup is amazing. We went twice.

La Piazza/Italian – Awful. Nothing you can’t get from the freezer section at your grocery store. We left hungry.

Wayne’s Boots/Steakhouse – watching the people on the mechanic bull was about the best part of this place. I had the chicken which was dry and my boyfriend had the ribs which he liked although we couldn’t quite identify what part of the animal it was from based on the oddly shaped/sized “rib” bones. He loved the beef broth soup.

The buffet: Just ok. We only went in for lunch. It’s somewhat chaotic at breakfast time. It's basically the same food every day. The guacamole was delicious but it wasn’t available every day. The stand that grilled beef and chicken was the best.

The only food we liked at the Japanese place behind the grill by the pool was the mini eggrolls.

The pool:
There are no umbrellas. We stayed under the partial covered section. We went down early and put towels on chairs (brought from home because if you lose the hotel towel they will charge you $35 USD per towel) and then went and had breakfast and our stuff was still there when we returned. It wasn’t that crowded but I could see how it might be hard to get desired chairs at busier times of the year. We got our favorite chairs every day but we were down there before 9AM. The entertainment staff tries hard but the music by the pool was repetitive … as were the “catch phrases” … and the “whoot whoot”s got old real fast. The initiated pool games (volleyball and water polo) were fun. The view of the ocean from the main pool is breathtaking. I could have stayed there all day … but we had dinner reservations …

The birds!!!
So many of them. Both my BF and I were pooped on at different times. Plus I had to change out our towels a few times since when we got back from the pool there was poop on them. This is why I like umbrellas instead of that wooden slat like covering they have. The poop goes right through the slats. Even the pool had poop in it. Not enjoyable.

The staff is very friendly, the place is clean and the food is decent but the dinner reservations, no pool umbrellas and mediocre entertainment were deal breakers for me. I’d only return if I couldn’t book anything else I wanted and if the price was right.

Tips:
Bring decoy beach towels to secure your beach chairs early AM.
Bring a Bubba Keg or larger drinking vessel because the cups are tiny.
Bring your own bar soap because the hotel soap smells nasty.
Ask which restaurants are closed upfront and plan accordingly.

Enjoy your trip! Cancun is gorgeous!

Dear CaribbeanDreamer1,

Your review on Trip Advisor is wonderfully detailed, honest and very well written. Thank you so much for your positive comments! I appreciate that you have taken the time to write about us and share your experience, not only does it help other vacationers choose their accommodations, it also helps us to keep improving.

It is our goal to provide memorable vacation experiences to our guests, your feedback helps us to do just that!

If in the future, you would conside giving us another chance to provide you with an unforgettable vacation, please do not hesitate to contact me if I can help with any inquiries you may have.

Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

We were with a large group - and this is a bit of a mixed review.

Staff in the restaurants were great. My congratulations to the management team for building a large group of very dedicated employees. Your entertainment staff were also a lot of fun - and took the time to get to know and really interact with the guests. They were entertaining and really did a good job of engaging people around the pool.

I suggest you work with your front desk team however - they do like the word "no" a little too much. It was generally their first answer to any question.

If you go - make sure you ask for a room in building 2. We had a maintenance issue in our building 1 room - and were accommodated with a move to the other building (thanks to Carlos the night manager - we appreciated your intervention). Night and day difference between the two buildings. the AC actually worked in building 2 - and the rooms have clearly been reno'd much more recently than the other building. To the ownership - you guys really need to spend some money......you have a great property - but if you don't maintain and continuously develop it - you will not have repeat customers - a critical part of the Mexican tourism business.

The other suggestion I have to people booking here - the "reservation" system for the restaurants is a bit goofy. you need to book a day before for the a la carte restaurants. The hotel takes bookings starting at 8 AM - so if you're off doing an excursion and leave at 7 AM - you're kinda outta luck. If you wait until later in the day to book - you've got options of "5 PM or 9 PM". We didnt really understand the process though - as the restaurants were never really "jammed" full - yet we had to comply with very specific times and there was little flexibility on getting an earlier or later time - even though there was clearly LOTS of room in each of the places. It seemed to me more about controlling the flow to make it easier for the staff than for accommodating the guests.

It is a really beautiful property - and could be a lot more with some investment back into it.

We had a good week - but I really would want to know that it's had money put back into it before we would consider staying again.

Room Tip: Building 2. your experience will be so much better.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear travel4funCanada

On behalf of Crown Paradise I would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us while vacationing in beautiful Cancun and for taking the time to review us here on Tripadvisor. We appreciate your input as it gives us an opportunity to see where we could keep improving on providing the best holiday possible to our guests. I am forwarding your post to our management team. Please contact me when you are preparing for your next visit. I can update you on the hotel and possible sway you to return for a second visit and do not hesitate to contact me prior if you have any questions or further comments.

jjamiesoncrownparadise.com
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

We have just returned home from the most amazing holiday to the crown paradise!! To be honest after reading the reviews before we went I was a little worried, however I was so relieved when we got the to a nice clean room great pools, great food, not having children ourselves and the crown paradise being a family friendly hotel we did find it a little 'loud' but we soon found the adults pool with swim up bar where we was constantly served by melchor,, a truely kind and happy bar man, and to be honest I wanted to bring him home with me!! That guy needs recognition for his work because we really did feel welcomed every day by him! Our room was cleaned everyday to the highest standards, and I felt safe in the knowledge that my belongings were safe, as everyday my jewellery and spare cash we had left lying around was neatly placed in a pile every day! The beach party on a Saturday with BBQ was really good however I wish it lasted a bit longer as 9.30 is to early to end everyone was quite happy to stay later!!
I suppose my only down point, is the night entertainment, were early thirties, and the club attached was always empty, trafalgers is a London themed bar open till two, but we all agreed that we wished there was an outside bar at night to have cocktails, with a bit of music,, we were lucky in the fact that we made a big group of friends and we met up every night to have drinks, but if your on your own you would have to make your way into cancun for more entertainment,, all in all,, we had an amazing time and would definitely return,, infact I've just been pricing it up so may see u soon ;-) xx

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Kooper2,

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor and for your kind words regarding the hotel staff. We take pride in giving our guests the most cheerful friendly service possible and we are truly fortunate to have Melchor on our team. It is always our goal to provide our guest with a memorable vacation experience and it was nice to see we succeeded once again and that you are already planning on coming back. Thank you for the suggestions in regards to the nightlife. I will pass along your message to management for their review.

See you soon.

Norfolk United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

We returned from Crown paradise on sunday from a 2 week vacation. I'll break it down,

Check in- Quite quick and was greeted with arrival drinks which was nice.

Drinks- RUBBISH all watered down, we are big red wine drinkers and the wine was terrible, we ended up paying $80 worth of wine just to have with our meals. Disgrace

Wifi- You have to pay $80 for a week which I think is disgusting especially after paying £2800 for the holiday! Disgrace

Room- Was nice we upgraded to superior so had a jacuzzi, mini bar they didn't leave enough water and stocked with cheap beer and soft drinks, also the hindge was falling off the door and the balcony bar was hanging off the hindge (very dangerous)

Lobby- Very nice and the drinks here seemed better but still didn't feel drunk on any of their drinks

Food- Was nice, plenty of food for everyone, Italian restaurant wasn't very nice the spag bol tasted like a school dinner, also had lasagne the first time we eat their which was ok. My boyfriend had the pizza which he said it was like cardboard covered in cheese.
Mexican was nice the steak was very tender. French = AMAZING

Entertainment- Nothing for adults, a bar that resembles england pubs which you do not want to be in when you pay so much to come to mexico! And an empty disco with cheesey music. They had a fire show on the beach on thursday but that finished at 10 and the bar closes so we had to all back in and drink inside! They have shows on which we didn't go see but heard they were good. they are advertised on the left handside of reception.

The staff are worked so hard that no wonder some of them are miserable as they don't get paid as much so its good to tip them but some of the staff then treat you very nice after which isnt on! They should be nice all the time!

We also left a bottle of champagne open with only one glass drunk out of it and the maids took it but left 2 EMPTY bottles of red wine on our table?! We complained after speaking to the supervisor who was not helpful at all but eventually got a call back from someone that spoke english!! And had a replacement bottle of champagne! (cheap champagne that is)
Also we ordered breakfast for the room in the morning as we had an early excursion booked and guess what?? That didn't turn up either!

We met some friends there that ended up staying in the moon palace for the last 3 nights and we saw them at the air port at the end of the trip, they said it would have cost £3,200 for 2 weeks which included the excursions on the resort, great food and proper drinks!! All you needed to pay was a 11% tax fee towards the excursions and everything is on resort, dolphins ect! BOOK THERE INSTEAD! We ended up eating out and drinking out most nights as the poor quality at the hotel which cost us a fortune! we must have spent about £600 on excursions and got ripped off on a boat trip we spent $75 each on! The alchohol was worse than the hotel and the food just as bad, anything extra like renting buggies to go down town which they take you to was an extra £25! And the wine with the meal was extra! RIP OFF!
Basically everyone rips you off and no one speaks english!!
Oh big up to Ismail at the adult pool he was lovely!

Just to add no one tells you nothing! I read nearly all of the reviews on this place and if it wasn't for them I wouldn't know there was an upstairs room for superior guests to book your breakfast so you don't need to ring up every morning! Also didn't know where everything was we just had to meet people and they would tell us! So all they try to do is rip you off so you don't use any of the nicer stuff there to save money! That or they can't be bothered! Oh and don't waste your time ringing room service or house keeping as they never answer or don't speak english, basically just want to get rid of you!

As we was leaving it took me alot to not slap the manager who was just standing there smiling at me! Upset that this is the only vacation we can afford to have in a long time and I couldn't wait to get home by the end of it.

If you had a great time here fair enough but I think paying £2800 to stay in this place is disgraceful WILL NOT BE RETURNING

Room Tip: If you do decide to stay here upgrade at least! And bring an extra 2K for spending money!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Jaki J, Guest Relations Manager at Crown Paradise Club Cancun, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Dear Abbie D,

I very much appreciate the time you have taken to review us on TripAdvisor. I would like to apologize on the behalf of Crown Paradise Cancun that our services and attention did not fulfill your expectations during your recent stay with us. I would have loved for you to experience the true spirit of our hotel while making fantastic vacation memories and It saddens me that you were unsatisfied with so many aspects of our hotel as our staff goes out of their way to ensure our guests have a memorable vacation experience with us and that you were unsatisfied in so many areas. The majority of our staff are bilingual, as we have a very high number of international guests, however, English is not their first language. The language barrier and cultural differences may have appeared as unfriendly/unhelpful but we pride ourselves on having the best/friendliest staff in Cancun……as so many former have posted comments about here on Tripadvisor. I am also surprised that you did not enjoy the cruise as this is a hit with everyone and have never received a negative comment about it.

You can be assured that your constructive criticism will be taken into consideration as it will, no doubt, help us to intensify our efforts and improve our services for our guests. Your comments have been passed on to the management teams of the departments of the hotel that are involved.

I would like to invite you back to try us again in the future, we would love to have the opportunity to change your mind. Please contact me directly if you would like to make vacation arrangements with us in the future; I would like to have the opportunity to show you the true spirit of our hotel.

jjamieson@crownparadise.com
Jamaica Plain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

This all-inclusive hotel was big. There where adult-only room but none where available for the days my three friends and I were visiting. There were plenty of lounge chairs with canopies on and off the beach for free which was a nice surprise. The food was ok. Service was ok. Room was ok. all in all jus okay. Our room was in the 2nd building on the 3rd floor the tub was big but the water fell all over the floor thru the shower curtain. That was awful, All the Bartenders had a great sense of humor the entertainment was mediocre but if you are the type to have fun anywhere you could enjoy a fun review of Grease and Michael Jackson. I love the music so I did not mind that they did not have all the words to the songs but the dancers where good looking and they were having fun on stage and that translated well.
One big deal was the payphones. If you were smart, you would get an international plan on your cell so you would not have to deal with calls on your credit card, or the crazy long lines at the payphone after waiting forever if the gift shops to buy a calling card.
In addition, no free WIFI, $10 for an hour/$20 for twenty-four hours and can only connect on one device.

Room Tip: Ask for Adult only if your w/o kids
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear mspeggyb,

Thank you for posting on Tripadvisor. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your time with us and for the special mention of our nightly shows. As you saw, they give their all to entertain!! Please visit us again soon.

weston super mare
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Excellent hotel, spotless, good food, perfect location. Staff superb nothing too much trouble. All booze top brands, adult only floors restaurants and pool. Food available 24/7. Beech 100 meters, towels always clean, food everywhere. Rooms kept spotless, grounds immaculate. Great for kids, excellent restaurants on site all in the all inclusive price

Room Tip: If you can afford upgrade with all things goog
Dear geoff e,

Thank you so much for taking the time in posting a short, straight to the point but wonderful review!! We are very pleased you enjoyed your time with us and hope to see you again soon.

Social Media Coordinator

Been to Crown Paradise Club Cancun? Share your experiences!