“Amazing view and beautiful beach” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Maya Cancun

Save Saved
You added Casa Maya Cancun to your Saves list
Casa Maya Cancun
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Boulevard Kukulcan Km 5.5 | Zona Hotelera Cancun, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Ranked #72 of 173 Hotels in Cancun
Winnipeg, Canada
“Amazing view and beautiful beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2011

Stayed for one week with my husband and in-laws in mid-January. My husband and I had our own studio room with lockable access to a suite which was occupied by my in-laws. My in-laws have been coming here for several years and they love it. This year we were able to accompany them.

Found the room to be clean and comfortable. Shower had good water pressure – no hot water in the mornings. Although that was okay with me – I always took my shower in the afternoon after hanging out on the beach all day. The bed was not super soft but I did not expect it to be like my ultra comfy bed at home. Had absolutely no problems sleeping. Amazing ocean view from the balcony on the 4th floor. Can’t say enough about the view so I’ll include pictures!

The grounds and beach are nicely maintained. Staff are very good. The servers and maids are friendly and helpful. Juan is a great server – he serves drinks by the pool and at the beach. Always smiling and very friendly. We booked our two excursions with Miguel who works in the same area where you get your beach towels. Both trips were fantastic. I’ll write separate reviews on those. The wait staff in the breakfast area are also very friendly and helpful. Our only issue was with the lady who gives you the internet pass-codes. Not exactly friendly or helpful – maybe she was having a bad day…

We had the breakfast buffet every morning which was very nice. I had the freshly made omelettes every morning accompanied by fresh fruit. The sausages, bacon, cinnamon bread, and fresh waffles were also good. Many other choices available. Fresh juices were great. The breakfast buffet was not cheap but my in-laws were members and they received a discount which made it more reasonable.

Drinks in the hotel were fairly pricey. A medium daiquiri was about $8. They were good but we ended up stocking a cooler and taking that with us most days. A lot cheaper to fill a cooler with beer, water, juice, etc. We did not eat at the hotel for lunch or dinner so cannot comment on the menus.

We ate out nearly every night (cooking and eating in the room only one night). We chose the downtown area for most of our meals. We received good to great food and great service everywhere we went. We ate near the hotel zone/strip one night out of the seven – at Calypso’s. Felippe is great. Will write a separate review on that. Went on the lobster dinner cruise one night as well. YUM. Will write another separate review on that.

This hotel is actually in a fantastic location. It’s away from the main hotel/strip area so it’s a quieter area – actually conveniently located between the main strip and downtown. Buses either way were a breeze. Cabs were also reasonable. The lagoon area is across the street from the hotel. We spent one morning walking along the water’s edge (lagoon side) and just looked at all the different types of fish.

Another good thing about the location here – the beach has very calm waters. Very beautiful calm waters. We heard the waves and water were a lot rougher on some of the other beaches. The sand was also very soft and surprisingly cool. Beautiful beach!

Overall we had a fantastic time and we would not hesitate to return.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Greenfield, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2011

We were worried by the many negative comments we read prior to our visit. Clearly they were much to do about nothing. We had a fabulous stay. Staff was friendly and accomodating. Not a place for college kids looking to party. Much better suited for family stays as well as older adult get-a-ways. The ammenities were outstanding. Free shuttle to and from airport. Other than the weather not bad at all.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2011

I found this hotel to be better than I anticipated (from reading some comments) It is great for a family, I have a 5 and 2 year old. It is NOT party central and a 10 minute bus trip to the bars if that is your scene. Really, my only complaint is it is not walking distance to anything. But the bus stop is super close and there is a bunch of restaurants in the hotel zone that are 10 min ride. I recommend a bus ride to Walmart as well to get groceries for the week to save money. Since our 1 br suite had a small kitchen, I made breakfast for my kids every morning and pb&j sandwiches for lunch. Beach is quiet and beautiful. Grounds super clean. Staff friendly. I did not listen to the timeshare seminar, we blew it off and our "guest service" lady called us about 3 times to set up the appointment. Just be firm and say no thank you. Hotel restaurant was a little pricy so check the schedule, some days buffet $10, others $20. Not worh $20 per person.

Virginia Beach, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2011

After reading some of these reviews I was concerned about staying at this resort. Let me start with the staff was great, always cleaning. Grounds are meticulously kept clean. Yes, beds are hard but after days of drinking on the beach it really didn't matter! Gym costs $10 per day per person. I did the timeshare tour and got a $100 credit so it wasn't too bad. Nice beach, great view. Since this was a timeshare exchange the room gets assigned at check in. I gave the desk clerk a $20 bill to find me a nice room. He did a great job. 4th floor oceanfront. Nothing but sand between my room and the ocean.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
janesville,WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2011

I am a member at Casa Maya and I love it! The people working there are so friendly and eager to make sure your vacation is great. Some of them have been working there for years, and they remember me with a smile and hug. Casa Maya is not a huge complex where you feel lost in a crowd. It is homey and very clean, with some of the best beach you'll find in Cancun. The location is central to everything, with easy access to the bus or cabs. When we've needed help with anything in our room, the maintenance people have been there quickly and the problem has been solved. The maids are more than willing to leave extra towels, etc. True, the beds are hard, but after reading other reviews, I'll ask for a foam pad and that should take care of that issue. I just bought extra weeks at Casa Maya last year because I plan to spend at least 2 weeks there each year from now on. I've visited Florida Keys in January (very chilly) and Puerto Vallarta(can't go in the ocean because of the undertow) and I craved Casa Maya and Cancun after missing a year! I'm leaving for Cancun in 2 days and I can't wait.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
Salt Lake City, Utah
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2011

Hotel 6 of cancun. The price of ok. Food not so good. Rooms satisfactory. Close to Bus. Pools good. Beach Good. No extras on the beach. Outside bar was extremely slow on service we waited 35 minutes for our lunch and then got up and left - we were the only ones at the Bar. Internet Access was ok not great. The person who arranged our trips was great.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Hudson, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2011

We are owners at Casa Maya. We have returned several times and really loved the place..that's why we bought! But, when we went this year, things were different. The rooms are getting very tired..yes, they are upgrading a new section..but wanting to charge a huge upgrade fee..not what we are interested in. Staff is very mediocre in service...often unattentive. And food is very so so. The breakfast buffet is great, however. We loved the Italian restaurant next door...ate there 3X that week. We miss not having the Coco Loco Bar open..the welcoming party is no longer..and no swim suit show anymore. It's the little things we really missed. We had a huge issue with our son & wife in their room..someone from staff tried numerous times to open their entry door..we told our advisor and she sluffed it off. My husband went down to the desk and asked about it a couple days later..nothing had even been said. SO...we had to explain everything again...and still not much. Again, my husband asked what is being done. FINALLY, they discovered the fellow said he was trying to fix a lock..but there was no problem reported. Anyway, supposedly he is now looking for a different job. BUT, why did we have to twice approach authorities about it? Yes, the beach is great..and the activity directors are great. We loved playing bingo..they always have something going for the people. Seems the clientele is more Mexican now than American. Perhaps that's why things are not as good as before..not the income the Americans bring in. Anyway, we do have some years left..so we will return..but we are not excited about it. We do love the bus system for getting around. MexTreme is a fantastic place to eat in the hotel zone.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family

Been to Casa Maya Cancun? Share your experiences!