“Excellent Vacation at the Omni!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Omni Cancun Hotel & Villas

Save Saved
You added Omni Cancun Hotel & Villas to your Saves list
Omni Cancun Hotel & Villas
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Blvd Kukulcan Km 16.5 | Hotel Zone Cancun, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
12% Off! Book Now & Save!
Ranked #61 of 174 Hotels in Cancun
North Carolina
“Excellent Vacation at the Omni!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2007

My husband and I just returned from a 4 day stay at the Onmi. What an absolute joy it was! First we booked the trip through my husband's employer. The package came with a 'lagoon view' room. But with a little persistance at check in, they switched us to an 'ocean view' room, no charge. I'll just go through a few of the important details:

The room: Ocean View, plain jane room, 2 full beds, 19" TV, no biggie, served it's purpose...we weren't in it much. A great view though! The marble floors do magnify the noise a bit, but it really wasn't a big deal.

All inclusive vs. Not All inclusive: Should be based on what you want. We did all inclusive b/c we like the convenience and thought we got a better deal with all the food and drinks we had. But we did eat out one night.

Food: Overall, pretty good. Pina Colada restaurant on the beach was excellent! Excellent chicken fajitas. The upscale restaurant, Da Vinci, also excellent. make your res. with the concierge as soon as you get there. La Palermo, which is the main restaurant was OK. Everything was buffets. They did have menu service but basically same stuff as in the buffet. If you go out and don't want to venture too far, La Distilleria was fabulous! It's a few bus stops down from the Omni, across from the mall.

Pools; Great!

Beach: Beautiful! I've never seen water this beautiful, that mesmerizing turquoise blue!! It's 100x better than the pictures!

Service: It's what makes this place so great! EVERYONE was awesome, nice, friendly, and helpful! And definately bring plenty on1's and 5's to tip, you won't believe what a difference it makes! we spent our time on the beach. The guys working the beach are definatley the hardest working peope there! We had Frederico and David and they were great! We tipped a dollar for each round of drinks and the next day when they saw us coming, they ran and got chairs set up for us, know exactly what we wanted to drink, and made sure we always had everything we needed. Also, tip your maids. They do a great job getting the rooms cleaned! Remember, a little goes a long way.

Just be prepared, there isn't much night life. They have the lobby bar open with some music but that's about it. The hotel has buses that go downtown everynight to different nightclubs.

We will definately go back and would recommend this hotel!

• Liked — The great service, the beach,
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (632)
Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2007

My husband and I (ages 25 & 24) have just returned from a week at the Omni Hotel and Villas in Cancun Mexico. The hotel was magnificent and we have never experienced such incredible service before. The resort was so fabulous that it was hard to drag ourselves away from the hotel to go shopping. In fact we didn't bother going to Senior Frogs or Coco Bongo (as all young people do), instead we enjoyed the band that would perform everynight in the hotel lobby. The hotel offered free transportation to all the hot clubs in Cancun if you wanted to venture out.

The weather was hot and sunny everyday even though the weather forecast said it would rain for the entire week. There were many tourists there but it wasn't overcrowded (it was their high season).

Since we were on an all inclusive plan we got to try all the different foods. Each night was a different theme, steak night, Italian night, Mexican night, seafood night, etc. The presentation of the food was impressive.

After much research for our Cancun getaway, we finally decided to go with Omni out of the other 7 hotels offered. We received a fax at our work through travelcomm. No worries guys, this isn't a scam. The travel agents worked with us to get us a booking during their high season. The plan offered a free ocean front upgrade and we got it, (but not on our first night).

The rooms were VERY large and modern. We stayed in room (1550). The furiture was all new and modern. The bathrooms were very nice, clean and large as well. We had a large balcony that had a laying area on each side. It was very comfortable and relaxing to drink your morning coffee and listen to the waves crashing.

Each morning we went down to La Paloma and ate made to order omlettes and they also had fresh fruits, juices, pastries, cereal, cheeses, and all sorts of fresh dishes from their buffet. We did not eat at Da Vinci because it wasn't part of our all - inclusive package, but room service and the beachfront restaurant were VERY good.

The pools were lovely, they had entertainment by one pool everyday (loud music and different games). If you wanted to relax you could go down to the lower levels and lay peacefully near another pool area and not hear any of the noise. We got fresh towels many times a day. There was no limit on how many you could take.

The pool service was excellent. The staff would come around every 15 minutes to ask if you want something to drink. We always ordered 2 drinks per person.

They did have a spa which we did not utilize but we did use their tennis and basketball courts.

Overall I would say this is probably the best resort we have ever stayed in and I am extremely fussy with service and food!

• Liked — The friendly staff
  • Disliked — Nothing
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Omaha
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2007

My family had a great time at Omni!

When we checked in I asked to be upgraded to an Ocean Veiw room. No problem and no extra charge. The veiw from the balcony was so beautiful we just stood on the deck and stared. The hotel is clean and very nice. The maid service was great. (Tip the maid daily, they leave an envelope for this).

The shower did run hot and cold. I survived. There is a bit of a musty smell bucause nothing ever really dries out in this climate. This is why the floors are all marble. The door latches are loud when they close if you let the door slam. We were in bed by 10:00 pm and up by 7:00 am and never woke up from noise at night.

Definately go all inclusive. You do have to sign everytime, but I got several drinks at a time for us and was never questioned. Again, tip the wait staff, you will get great service.

They most likely have to keep track so all inclusive guests don't supply their friends. I have no problem with that.

The food and service was great and the wait staff have good personalities. The great thing is the food sits so well, I never did feel stuffed or sick even though I ate like a pig. Did not gain as much weight as I thought I should have.

Go here with realistic expectations and you will be very pleased.

• Liked — Beach and restaurants
  • Disliked — Downtown Cancun
  • Tips/Secrets — Take a lot of ones and fives for tipping. They will treat you like royalty.
  • Stayed December 2006
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2007

We found the rooms to be quite lovely, view was great, food was mostly excellent (we found the Mardi-Gras/New Orleans food very bland and un-Cajun), The themed dinners were more in the kitchen side than the music or ambiance side. They did put up different decorations as backdrops, but I thought they were going to have litte entertainment, too: local dancers or such. DaVinci is superb, though. Everything was A+ there. In general, a great variety from day to day at breakfast/dinner buffets. Best to eat lunch at PinaColada and not at the pool grill.
We did an all-inclusive. If you are big on food that is the way to go, otherwise, food is all priced very high (bowl of cereal at breakfast is $5.50) Breakfast buffet was about $22 US - you eally have to be a hearty eater at that price. Drinks were very plentiful, but I never had an inkling that I had had too much to drink, the Pina Coladas tasted the same with or without alcohol as my daughter was always ordering the virgin version. Even 2 martinis didn't make me wobble before dinner, and I am not that big of drinker.

Not advertsied ahea of time is that you are limited to how often you can dine at DaVinci ( 3 dinners in a 7 night stay; 2 in a 5 night stay, 1 in a 3 night stay). Although there were to be free boogie boards and other sport-type items, water trikes, etc,; there were none available, so if you think that that is part of the all-inclusive, it is more all-elusive to the guest.

Due to a flight cancellation, we were back at Omni one additional night in a different room paid for by the airline. Although we had all been very happy with our initial room (paid for by us in advance); there were subtle differences in the similar room paid for by the airline:
no hair dryer, no rug between the beds for cold feet in the morning, fewer towel racks and toilet paper dispensers in bath area, smaller/older TV, no cushions on outside seating area, fewer amenities in the bath. They offer a pillow menu that can accommodate almost any sleeper's wish, however, they only have one very soft and heavy fiberfill duvet (very thick and warm), we couldn't get the a/c cool enough to be able to sleep under the cover without getting too hot and without the duvet it was too cold. I asked for a light weight blanket, but they don't have any, I was offered additional sheets to cover up with, but declined. Just was a little surprised that you had a huge choice in pillows, but none in blanket options. I guess we could have slept with the doors open and had a nice tropical night with just the sheets, but not all in our group liked tropical temps.
The facility was immaculate, pools were fine, the kids entertainement "kids club" was non-existent, they asked some trivia questions and that was about it. The young men (20+) took over the water volleyball net and there were no real activities for the kids. We brought our daughter's best friend along, so they were okay, but had we just had theone, we would have been very disappointed, because even though there were lots of kids around ,there was no way to get them organized into on a day-to-day basis.
In general, a lovely facility, but not everything we expected (kids activities) compared to places we have stayed in Acapulco that were 1/5th the cost of this one. If we had not been on the all-inclusive I doubt we would have eaten there at all, but we already knew that Cancun doesn't have great food in the downtown area or outside of the hotel zone.

• Liked — Cleaniliness and the food at DaVinci was superb
  • Disliked — No kids activities
  • Tips/Secrets — All inclusive or pay dearly per meal.
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
Omaha, NE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2007

We just returned from a WONDERFUL trip to the Omni Cancun. (Dec 28 - Jan 4). Had my three children (14, 12, 10) with us. Also, my two sisters and one brother (and their families). Recipe for disaster? Could have been, but in fact, everything, I mean EVERYTHING was wonderful!
We'd visited this hotel on many prior occassions, and I have to say, that since the hurricane, it has never looked so good. Everything looks and feels brand new (probably because it is?!). They really did a fabulous job with the renovation. (Also, I might add, that Cancun in general, has never looked better).
The staff at the hotel is incredibly friendly, and are always there to help. I don't understand the dude who wrote the review about being on the A/I plan, and complained about having bad service at the pools and beach. We, too, were on the A/I plan, and had GREAT service. EVERYWHERE! At all the restaurants, at the pool, at the beach, room service, EVERYWHERE! It was all awesome.
So, if you're considering going to Cancun, what are you waiting for? GO, GO, GO..... It's truly awesome! And, the Omni Hotel is by far your best choice for a hotel. The hotel is beautiful, ahd staff and service are incredible. YOU WON'T BE SORRY!

• Liked — The Staff
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
Dallas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2007

Let me start out with the good things. Arrived Dec 31st, smooth check in. Nice touch having a check in desk and departure desk. We originally booked 4 nights, not all inclusive, went to the lobby bar saw the prices and went back to book 2 days of the 4 as all inclusive for an additional fee. Beautiful lobby, beautiful rooms. Think James Bond 1967 Thailand/Hawaii/Bali decor. I loved the mix of old school luxury and modern amenities.
Grounds, pools, bars and beach were outstanding!!!! Even better sitting on our balcony on the 18th floor overlooking the gulf and the crystal clear pools! For the 2 days we were all-inclusive we took advantage of their outstanding room service, the premier restaurant Da Vinci's and their buffet restaurant for breakfast.

Here's the downside. The wireless internet in the lobby was hit and miss. Majority of the time you couldn't connect and we
make a living by our email, we eventually paid the 55.00 peso's to connect at their business center to get on-line. Because the entire hotel is made of marble, including your room floors, the noise from the maid service, repair people and guests who like to get up @ 8am is horrible. Does anyone remember the phrase "use your indoor voice" from school?????? The other major issue was the all-inclusive package and how they handled a tab at any bar. You have to sign every ticket even though you're wearing a bracelet. Order 2 beers and the bartender has to wait for a lady sitting @ a POS system to ring up your ticket which can take a long time if there are multiple customers and waitstaff who are also serving poolside customers. You can watch your Margarita melt into a liquid slush before you get a ticket. I watched on the last day at the activities bar a woman get so ticked off that they argued with the bar staff about the wait, meantime it's the lady in her POS box whose slowing the process down. The spa was overpriced. For a Ritz, I'd pay. My boyfriend booked the "stress cure" message for $130.00 USA for 85 minutes. The little girl that had the task, weighted 85 pounds trying to work out knots in a 200 pound plus man. Needless to say she literally used the table by getting off the ground and on the table to try to work his back. Sad. I had the relaxed massage and a mini-facial. It was nice but nothing I'd rave about.

Overall. I liked the hotel, would recommend the all-inclusive feature for families. For the price when you're not all-inclusive you could bump up to Le Meriden or maybe the Hilton?

• Liked — Room & Amenties Within The Room Were Outstanding
  • Disliked — Signing tickets for every drink/ Wireless wasn't consistent/Spa
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2007

We had the opportunity to visit the Omni Cancun over New Year's. We were pleasantly surprised by the beauty of the recent renovations. The room was spectacular. We had beautiful views of the ocean and enjoyed great weather. The beach is clean, beautiful and wonderfully serviced by the staff.

We took advantage of the on property restaurants and found all of them fantastic. The food was consistently good and the service warm and friendly. Other guests were friendly and very positive about their own experiences. This is on our highly recommend list if you visit Cancun and want to be near the airport.

This vacation was everything we were looking for....relaxing, good food, good service and beautiful beaches to relax on. Enjoy!

• 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Omni Cancun Hotel & Villas? Share your experiences!