“The good and the bad” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Omni Cancun Hotel & Villas

You added Omni Cancun Hotel & Villas to your Saves list
Omni Cancun Hotel & Villas
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Blvd Kukulcan Km 16.5 | Hotel Zone Cancun, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
12% Off! Book Now & Save!
Ranked #58 of 174 Hotels in Cancun
Miami Beach, Florida
“The good and the bad”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

First I booked this in January for a march trip. Had email confirmations as well as a phone call. Made guest requests of 2 beds in each room ( 6 people 3 rooms / 2 in each room) I am also a select gold guest which their site offers that gives you several amenities such as choice of drink to be delivered to you in the AM and free wifi (when the wifi decides to work) we arrive and are told oh we only have rooms with 1 bed sorry... I whipped out papers saying what I paid for how much in advance and my request. They followed up with oh that's a request not mandatory, touché. So they said "we can move you to another hotel 5 minutes away which is way higher class for 2 days and upon your arrival well give you a villa" we accepted. The hotel they sent us to was GARBAGE!!!! Grand paranassus STAY AWAY!!!!! Back to omni, they followed through with their word. Picked us up got th villa. Now here comes the good. The property is amazing and clean the food? Plenty of choices little places to eat all over on the beach piña colada is great and at night it changes names still great. The food is good no complaints. Service is great they work for you, we tipped, it's amazing how a few dollars can brighten a workers day and they'll make sure you're ok! Villa is awesome. Omni isn't bad and honestly will return next year. Only scary part is that they may move you around, couple workers said they've been doing that the passed year. Works in a sense of well move the guy who pays the most to a cheaper hotel pay for the room and still make money and they'll rent out the room you paid for, when you return they'll give you a villa no one paid for. I mean we sucked it up for 2 days to live like kings the remainder of our trip. Other than that issue which is pretty big the place is great

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (722)
Victoria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

This hotel is beautiful with it's views overlooking the ocean and seems to be well managed. The staff are very helpful and will go out of their way to assist you. There are ample food choices and the pools and beach are superb. The property is very clean. I didn't try the spa, but will next time I am there. I loved the ambience. .

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

We chose to spend Thanksgiving week at the Omni. We did not do the all inclusive because there are so many wonderful places to eat off campus. The weather and beach couldn't have been nicer. The spa was more expensive and horribly underwhelming in comparison to my previous experiences in Mexico. I would go off site for spa services. The breakfast buffet was to die for! It was excellent every morning and I wish I could take some of their recipes home!! Pool side food was so so and the drinks were weak. They had an excellent canopy on the beach that could be rented for the day for about $25 American dollars but they serve limited menu items. It's worth the money. The Omni Kids Club was my daughters fav thing. It was a bit proxy at $25 per day but the activities and new friends were priceless! The live music and shows after dinner were exciting for the little ones. The staff was wonderful, the rooms were excellently cleaned and we had no real issues but will probably not be back just because The Royal Sands fit us a bit more. Some things that the Omni did offer was on site photographer (that does come down on price if you take too long to select your pix) and the concierge was able to set my hubby up with a local fisherman for some fishing in the flats. It is a good hotel for families with kids and on a budget whom want to spend most of their time an meals at the resort. All wonderful things just not the perfect fit for us!

• Stayed November 2012
Bagram, Afghanistan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Well, we were quite surprised when we came to this resort as we were worried. Before I start the negatives I will touch on the positives. So far, this has been the nicest beach and the bluest water out of all of the resorts that we have stayed at. The beach was not rocky, you could walk into the ocean with out stubbing your toe or slipping on coral rocks. We were very happy with the beach, however this trip it was very windy and we were not supposed to go into the ocean because of the waves, we had our children with so we did not enjoy the ocean as much, which was sad because the ocean was warmer than all of the pools. Our room was fantastic with a fantastic view of the ocean, we did stay in a Villa I can not comment on the hotel rooms. But our villas was 3 floors, with 3 bedrooms, and 3 1/2 baths. Each bedroom also comes with a sundeck and patio furniture. The only thing that would have made the villa better would have been a private butler. We were happy with the villa for being able to be seperated from the kids having bedrooms with locks on the doors. The kitchen cabinents in the villa are ugly but big deal we did not use the kitchen. Our villa came with complimentary wifi for only 2 devices, and we could stock our fridge with whatever beer, juice etc.. that we wanted. I have read there is no other internet or free internet in the hotel. Now...what was bad about this hotel was the restaurants. They had two sit downs, one you could take children and one you could not. They also had a buffet, a pool side bar, along with a taco and sushi stand. But for dinner it was just buffets every night. This was the downside to this hotel was the eating. If you want a nice meal, we went out across the street from the hotel to the captains cove and had delicious fresh red snapper and carribean lobster. The beach i give this hotel 4 stars, the view of our room I give 4 stars, the restaurant options 2 stars.

Room Tip: we had a villa on the even number side it was nice and quiet
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

We stayed at the Omni Cancun during the 1st week of February 2013 and had an amazing experience. The resort is very well maintained, staff are very helpful and we really loved the resort. We are vegetarians but the staff there helped us by customizing the meals for us.
I would definitely stay in it again if possible.

Room Tip: Take a room on the higher floors. Beach view room is a must.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

I happened to go during spring break and this place is more of a relaxing resort. There are still spring breakers but its a great mix of party goers, families and couples. I liked the resort, but the partner I was with didn't like it as much.

It's definitely not a party-it-up resort.

Bus drive about 15 minutes from the main entertainment strip.

HIGHLIGHTS - clean, nice rooms, great service, food was good at buffet, people were great, nice big beach, nice pools, amazing sushi bar, not busy during the day (lots of pool chairs, beach chairs and beach space), convenience store and pharmacy across the street is significantly cheaper than the resort, fast bar service (barely had to wait long for a drink, unless we ordered on the beach)

LOWLIGHTS - no 24 hour bar(can't get alcohol past 1:00am), NO DISCO to dance, nightly entertainment was mediocre at best, a la cartes were worse than the buffet, the Mexican restaurant wasn't that great, very small lobby compared to other resorts, no liquor in the room, most desserts were not good at all, only food available after 10pm can only be done thru room service (not even a nacho stand after 10),

TIPS - I personally liked the buffet better than both a la cartes. But Italian a la carte much better than Indonesian one.
At this resort we didn't have to wake up crazy early to get a beach chair on the beach! So sleep in!!!

Also, I wanted to be very thorough. I did put a lot of lowlights but take it with a grain of salt (eg: everyone doesn't need to eat OR drink past 1am lol).

Enjoy!

• Stayed March 2013
Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I was looking for a quiet, warm spot in the sun and the Omni more than delivered. The hotel was immaculate, and I often caught the scent of bleach as maids were cleaning. The beds were comfortable and despite Cancun's party atmosphere, I rarely heard other guests. (This may be different during spring break -- there weren't a lot of partyers in the hotel in February

I mostly travel for beaches, and the one at the Omni is georgeous, however, the surf was very strong and red flag warnings were up all week, warning swimmers to stay out of the water. Many people ignored the warning and lifeguards were present to tow in those who got in trouble. If traveling with children, I would keep them out of the Carribean... it's just too rough.

The food at the buffets was pretty good. If that didn't suit, there was plenty of variety in food at various other spots throughout the hotel -- beachside, poolside, and included room service. I ordered room service a few times and service was prompt and the food was good. Drinks were plentiful, and average strength.

Hotel employees were very friendly and helpful. I would travel to the Omni Cancun again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Been to Omni Cancun Hotel & Villas? Share your experiences!