“About What I Expected” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Omni Cancun Hotel & Villas

Save Saved
You added Omni Cancun Hotel & Villas to your Saves list
Omni Cancun Hotel & Villas
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Blvd Kukulcan Km 16.5 | Hotel Zone Cancun, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
12% Off! Book Now & Save!
Ranked #64 of 174 hotels in Cancun
Pasadena, Ca
“About What I Expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

I booked a trip through Costco with 2 families traveling together for a total of 11 people during the Christmas holiday. We arrived 12/20 and stayed through 12/26/12. Arriving in Cancun International should always be with the advise of maintaining hyper-vigilance with the locals providing transportation. Just after clearing customs, travelers will the met with an army of official looking workers, wearing coordinated slacks and shirts offering services and transportation. They are timeshare sales people with official ID's designed to suggest some type of official airport affiliation. Although we had been forewarned, members of our party were nearly duped into longer than needed conversation before being pulled away. How this is condoned by airport operations is beyond me.
We found our arranged transportation through Costco and arrived at the Omni Cancun without incident. The hotel met expectations in its appearance. The front staff were friendly and efficient. Our check in was uneventful, although the dependency on paper and stenciled copies of credit cards seemed a little old school. All guest were given wrist bands to be worn during the remainder of their stay to identify their hotel affiliation and alcohol eligibility. Wifi access was very suboptimal. The signal strength made it unusable in the rooms and forced many to huddle in the lounge to gain access. Also, daily fees were $15/day, unless you are an Omni Select member. This alone did not give you registered access since the front office required a "printed confirmation" of your membership that could be stapled to your registration papers before issuing you log on code. There is nothing specifically available from the Omni Select membership site that can print out for their use, so just print out a screen shot with your name and membership number. After this, log on, one device per membership, was functional. The food was good, and on par with mid-grade cruise ship fare. The staff was hard working. The main dining room, La Paloma, could easily be overwhelmed on some nights resulting in lines waiting for seating and lines to the buffet line. Two restaurants required reservation for sitdown service, the Da Vinci and Deva, which depending on the number of nights was rationed. Other food options included a taco/burger stand, cooked to order, Sushi bar - which was quite good, and fried snacks and pizza bar near the pool. My family had a 3 room villa that was spacious but dated. It had a full kitchen, 3.5 baths, one room with two full beds, and two with 1 king bed each. Two rooms had their own balconies and views of the ocean. The stairs were a little steep and a challenge to pull luggage two flights up. Once settled down, my family of six enjoyed their stay. Daily cleaning staff services were great. Amenities included a programmable safe, hair dyers, and a fridge that was stocked daily with Coke, reg/diet, juices, 6 bottles of water, beers, etc. No extra charge. The beach was a great back drop for scenery but the dropoff from sand to water was a little steep. For smaller kids, you would have to sit at the water edge to maintain visual contact. The Omni location along the peninsula has exposure to open ocean so the waves were rougher compared to hotels located further north near Punta Cancun which had shallow and more protected water shelted by the Islas Mujeres. Another plus was the proximity to the new Mayan Museum which just opened in Nov 12 and worth the $54 pesos for a couple of hours of education. Public bus access was easy along the Kulkulcan Blvd. at $8.50 pesos. We ate all foods and drinks without consequence.
Overall, I would stay again at the Omni

3,098 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (616)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

Stayed with the family over Christmas and everything was just not as good as it could have been.
First week there were 8 of us and it was get up early if you want some beds, and even earlier for beds in the shade.
Second week with only 4 of us was a little easier, but it could have been so much easier.
The food is ok, but not great.
Had a deluxe ocean view room, the room was a great size, but can't hear yourself in the evenings as the entertainment is on that side of the hotel. Finishes fairly early, but the balcony was the only cool place outside other than the restaurants to have a drink. Only one bar to get drinks in the evening and for some reason it was always really hot.
Register as an omni select member for free wifi, but don't expect it to be fast or reliable, fortunately over Christmas it wasn't that critical.
There are 3 restaurants, one is a buffet, one on the beach and one open for evenings, along with casual dining by the pool (if you can get one of the few tables) a sushi bar which was a long wait, and a burger/Mexican place. Davinci was the best, but again it could have been so much better, and don't remember reading you could only use Davinci and Deva (Indonesian on the beach) three time per week you stay.
Service was ok.

Had higher expectations, have stayed in better. Average, average, average.

The jungle tour on the little speedboats with snorkelling on the reef was very good if you do come, can book at the towel pick up.

Right too hot in the bar again, got to go.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We were a multigenerational family of 23 people who stayed at the Omni over Christmas week. There were numerous positives about this hotel. The property was mid-size which made it easy to get around and easy for us to find one another. Unlike other reviews, we found the rooms to be quiet (other than noise from the connecting room which housed our own family members). The resort was exceptionally clean. They maintained good control of the food on the property. Guests had to wait to be seated at all the restaurants, even at the buffet. Other than the buffet, all food had to be ordered a la carte, so that it was always prepared fresh. Room service was available all day.Quality of drinks was good. We enjoyed the outdoor yoga classes, the fitness centre, the volleyball games. There were always lots of chairs available on the beach and we had no difficulty getting chairs under palapas for shade between 8 and 9 am. There are 6 "cabana beds' with thatched roofs available for rent at $25 USD per day. This was very useful for our 6 month old grandchildren who were able to spend all day at the beach napping and playing on these shaded beds.The staff was very accomodating, especially in meeting the needs of our large group. Tips were very much appreciated and at times expected (i.e. envelope in room with maid's name). Service was always excellent even at those times when we did not tip. Beach is beautiful. You can walk for miles in each direction. We found the beachfronts of nearby hotels to be so much more croweded than at the Omni.. The water is turquoise, but the waves are rough, which is fun to play in, but dangerous for little ones.

We only experienced one major problem related to check in when we were told that there were no cribs available for our twin grandbabies. It was suggested that we rent cribs for $40 per day per crib. Through our continued insistence the problem was quickly rectified and 2 cribs became available within a short time. Not sure what the issue was, as cribs were clearly available. This obviously would not be an issue for most guests.
Other small negatives included pools that were not heated and hot tubs that were lukewarn.
We noticed that for New year's Eve, the hotel was advertising a $70 supplement for a party in the ballroom. Not sure what would have been available to hotel guests had they not purchased this supplement, but from past experience, all-inclusive properties always provided a special evening on New Year's Eve.

We would be happy to stay at this property again should we return to Cancun. I would just want to be guaranteed that cribs, if still needed, would be available, or this would be a dealbreaker.

San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

My family of 4-husband and I along with 2 and 4 year old went to this resort. We were referred to it by a friend and used her timeshare for the week, adding on the all inclusive for a few days as well. Food is decent, sushi bar was excellent!! Many days we would get sushi for ourselves and take our lunch down to the beach restaurant to let our kids eat what they wanted there. One thing we encountered at every dining place was waiters and waitresses went out of their way to help or provide for us...if we asked for something and they didn't have it, they would get it. Room service came very quick and was quite well too. Loved the big pool with the sloped "beach" entrance for the kids too. Great for them, adding my opinion to another reviewer, the kiddie pool is not safe IMO, deep even for me to sit in. We mostly hung out in the big pool, ,kids could play with water and sand toys in shallow area without us worrying about them drowning and they were out of everyone's way as there are a few entrances to that pool. We would sit in the deeper area, take turns getting drinks. Worked out great! Often other families would join us as well. Never had to play the whole get up at the crack of dawn and leave a towel on a chair thing either, tons of chairs around both pools, kiddie pool and all. This is a timeshare hotel, often felt like the "sharks" wanted to pounce every morning until they saw our wristbands-pretty annoying but that's the deal with most resorts nowadays.
There is a great market across the street from the hotel along with a great restaurant, that although is a bit pricey is very good. There is also a bank if you need to exchange dollars for pesos, front desk was never able to do this for us, computer was down so this made it very convenient for us.
We took a taxi to the aquarium, very good and the mall that it is located in is nice too.
Not sure if we would return, we like to switch it up and try new resorts, been to tons all over Mexico and we still like to try new ones but I would recommend this place.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We stayed Dec. 21-26th to celebrate the holidays with my family as well as my parents' 39th wedding anniversary. Since I read all the reviews on tripadvisor before making my decision where to stay in Cancun, I wanted to share my experience too. Let me get the bad part out of the way and then let you know why we ended up enjoying our time. I have traveled to Asia, Europe and across the US so I know things do happen but I hope my review helps other travelers have a better experience at the Omni Cancun.

We booked through Jetblue Getaways and will never plan on doing that again as I felt we overpaid for our vacation through this service. My parents booked through Orbitz and my brother booked through American Express. They had no problem with their Omni reservations when they booked. Unfortunately, Jetblue Getaways did not properly provide Omni with the correct number of guests (3 and one infant) yet charged us more. I called the Omni reservation line three times to provide them with our information and yet the actual hotel in Cancun did not have any of the information (i.e. crib). I would recommend calling the hotel directly if you want to make sure your requests are entered in properly. Because my parents had a confirmation #, my requests were sent for my parents and my brother and they had great rooms (1727(lagoon view) and 1703 (ocean-view)).

We used USA transfers (based on tripadvisor reviews) for our transportation from the airport to the hotel and back(http://www.entertainment-plus.net/) and had great service (on time, friendly, reliable) and would recommend their service to others. When we arrived, we were warmly greeted by the bellmen and the hotel was very clean with a great entrance. There was a wait to check-in even though as an Omni Select guest member you are supposed to have a faster check-in. I took the advice from other reviews and signed up on the Omni website prior to my arrival. They do provide you with free wifi (save $15/day) and extra benefits in the morning for coffee/tea delivered to your room as well as extra water bottles at check-in. The gentleman working the front desk (can't remember his name) was annoyed because I didn't have a confirmation # at check-in. Of course, I tried to get the confirmation number from the Omni reservation line (3x) prior to the trip but was told on the 3rd call that I did not/could not be provided one since I used Jetblue Getaways (yet my mother had confirmation #' through orbitz and my brother through American Express).

We had a very long day of travel with an infant and 5 year old so we were exhausted. Because the hotel only had us down for 2 guests, we were told the hotel could only provide us with a king-sized bed and no crib for my family of 4 (room #1121). After I complained that we couldn't fit all in the same bed, he said that they could bring an extra bed into the room (at no additional cost, as a courtesy). He kept repeating it was because we had no confirmation #. After paying Jetblue Getaways for 3 people, I was annoyed that Jetblue only reserved our room for 2. He brushed us off and said sorry that was all that he could do and come back in the morning to try to change rooms, maybe something would be available. Our bellman that took us to the room was very kind and understanding. Even though tips were included in our all-inclusive, we still tipped. We appreciated his kindness after a long day of travel.

Well, once we were in the room, all we could hear was the techno from the pool since they had evening activities right outside of our ground-floor room. It was a terrible room for anybody with a family. The activities are located around the pool and goes until 10PM at night. If you are traveling with young children, that is the last room you want to be in if you want to put your children to sleep. Apparently, it was an upgrade since I was told by the same front desk person that it was an oceanview (No view of the ocean, but I could see the patrons of the buffet restaurant eating). Since we had no choice, we stayed. The shower head pressure in the room was so strong, it felt like bee stings. Unfortunately, no way to adjust the pressure.

The next morning, we went to have breakfast in the buffet/La Paloma and returned to find that we were locked out of our room. They had "moved" us to the same floor as my parents but did not let us know in advance so we could not get back into our original room to retrieve our items. After getting the key to the new room, we moved ourselves to the 17th floor and although we were "downgraded" to a lagoon view, we had 2 full size beds and after some waiting, a crib. The morning front desk staff was able to do what the evening front desk staff couldn't and we were so thankful that they worked hard to accommodate us. Although the Omni started on a bad note, they did do many things right. So on to the good things.

PROs:
1) Hotel was very clean. The staff at the Omni work very hard to keep the grounds and hotel clean. All the common areas were always being swept, wiped down or attended to.
2) Room size was large enough to accommodate at least four people. Each of the three rooms we were in had wonderful balconies with a great ocean view (1703) and great sunsets from lagoon view (1723, 1727). The beds were comfortable and the sheets and towels were above average quality. The shower was average. The rooms on the lagoon side were quiet but you could hear the traffic on the road only when on the balcony. On the ocean side, you had a stunning view of the ocean from the balcony but could hear the nightly entertainment when outside.
3) Fantastic wait staff. We ate at all the restaurants and want to thank Jose and the others at Pina Colada, who were awesome.
4) Great soft sand (we walked along the beach and some resorts were very rocky) and wait staff (thanks Josephina/Consuela for bringing my daughter beach toys) on the beach.
5) Kids Club. My daughter had a blast and did not want to leave. Lots of variety planned for the kids (aged 5-12).
6) Clean pools. Although the pool water was cold, the pool area and pool were clean. The wait staff around the pools were great. Special thanks to Ulysses who kept the drinks and food coming all day.
7) Gym had good number of free weights and more variety than some other hotels. Bathrooms in the gym were shared with the spa and were very clean.
8) Great walking path along the lagoon side for running/walking for exercise.
9) Captain's Cove restaurant across the street was above average seafood fare.
10) Convenience store a short walk from hotel for little things.
11) Trip to Isle de Mujeres was nice (beautiful but a long day trip).

CONs:
1) Food choices and limited selection of dining options. This is not a resort for Foodies (read the review from John D, he sums it up nicely). The food is average. Da Vinci is the only "nice" restaurant and it tried hard with the menu selections but did not quite deliver. I would rate the restaurant slightly above average but the best choice on the resort. The choices at La Paloma (depending on what theme it is for the night) was average. It was a decent choice if you wanted to graze on dessert or fruit between meals. My favorite out of the options was Pina Colada for breakfast. The view of the ocean while having breakfast was the best. I really enjoyed the green juice "Juego verde" and the other options of fruit juices (fresh) and fruits. If you wanted a heartier breakfast, the made-to-order eggs were nice. We ate there once for lunch and the ceviche was pretty good and a bit better option for dining than the buffet. The taco bar was a nice choice for snacks/lunch during the day when around the pool. The food was made to order and the horchata was tasty. The hamburgers were not very good though. The wings at the pool side dining area were decent. The sushi took forever to get and it was only decent. If you like cream cheese in all your sushi rolls, then you will enjoy eating at the sushi bar. The room service food was decent and did not take that long to deliver. The drink choices were average.
2) Family oriented. Not for couples or singles.
3) Steep drop-off from sand to ocean and very windy during the time of year we went. Other resorts had a more level beach. Did have to go early to get a beach lounge chair.
4) Tennis courts were strange. The ground was mesh-metal and made the balls bounce funny. Had to rent the racquets at $5/2 rackets.

There was no time-share hassle during our stay. We were treated well and enjoyed our time at the resort. It is a smaller resort (my sisters had stayed at the Grand Oasis and said it was much bigger with more choices). It worked well for families with small children as it was easy to get to the beach/pool area and back to the hotel room without a significant trek. We tried to plan something special for our parents for their wedding anniversary during our stay but the waiter forgot at Da Vinci and the event coordinator stated everything was booked for the days we were there. If you are looking for good customer service, Omni Cancun is a good choice. If you want good food and more options for an all-inclusive package, I would look for other hotel resorts.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We were at the Omni for 4 nights in November.

PROS:
Our favorite thing about the resort was the white sand beach with the stunning turquoise water, which we weren't expecting in Cancun. It rivaled the most gorgeous beach we've been to in Thailand. The waves were always a bit choppy for swimming, but there was always plentiful lounge chairs and umbrellas.

The service was great and waiters regularly asked about drinks etc. The food also was better than other All Inclusives we've stayed at.

Sign up for the Omni frequent guest program and you get free wifi in your room for the duration of your stay, and an upgrade if available. Definitely worth it.

There was never any trouble finding a place to comfortably sit- there were always 50% of chairs/loungers empty.

Da Vinci (Italian a la carte) is really good, and it was never hard to get a table.

The ladies at the kids club are really lovely.

The resort is super clean.

CONS:
We were there with our two year old toddler, and this resort is not toddler friendly. The kiddy pool is too deep for toddlers and our two year old went under water a few times, despite us being in close proximity. We had to watch her like a hawk. There are also many things you can't do with a child: ie they can't use the hot tub (which doesn't make sense- why not if accompanied by an adult?), and the swim up bar by the ocean didn't allow children. This really got in the way of us enjoying the resort and is the reason we will not return to the Omni Cancun.

While we were there, the options for dining were limited. Lunch time was fine: the main buffet, the pool side cafe, the Mexican casual taco stand, or the place by the ocean. But dinner time it was only the buffet and Da Vinci, which got really repetitive. The Sushi place was closed, and we never saw the advertised Indonesian place.

There is no activity in the evening!! Unlike other all inclusives, the evening entertainment is really weak. The only option seems to be to go into Cancun, which we weren't interested in. They have shows with Mexican traditional dancing, or karaoke one night, but I think people would have more enjoyed an outdoor disco (dj w/a few hrs of dancing) or something for the kids? So after dinner, there is nothing to do.

And lastly, the drinks. Day time once again it was fine, with the pool side bar making great mojitos, but in the evening the only option was the lobby bar which had horrendous cocktails that all resembled neon chemical cleaners (and tasted like it too).

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

PROs:
Beautiful beach, very nice pool area, nice staff, decent location, family friendly, variety of eating options

CONs:
Average food, a little bit resort-y, average service, terrible wifi, language barriers from time to time

We just returned from a week at this all-inclusive resort and overall, had a great time. We traveled with relatives as well as my wife and three kids. We haggled for adjoining ocean view rooms and the overall quality and condition on the rooms was excellent.

This part of Cancun tends to be very windy this time of year and the current at the beach was very strong 6 out of 7 days. It's so strong that you wouldn't want anyone below the age of 5 wading alone in the surf, so keep that in mind. The beach area is beautiful and well kept, and we felt safe at all times given that there was a lifeguard always on duty. One drawback is that the beach has a steep dropoff from the edge of the lounging area to the water...the result is that you have to sit right next to this edge or you can't see your kids in the water. Hard to explain, but it's relevant because you can't see your kids in the water if you're in the oceanfront restaurant or even under the shaded areas where the bar service is.

The overall quality of the food is average, especially in the evening hours. There is one nice restaurant (DaVinci) with a nice looking menu, but the food is not executed with any sort of gourmet flair and comes off as resort-y there. This is NOT a place for foodies, so set your expectations accordingly. Also, DaVinci is small and it's not easy to get a reservation in there.

The restaurant in the main hotel (which changes names depending on the night) is very mediocre and best-suited for bingeing. We had two episodes of VERY lax service there, which was very disappointing given that the food is buffet style and service personnel only are responsible for getting drinks.

There is a sushi restaurant on site, which surprised me given that I would never imagine sushi in an all-inclusive setting. The sushi quality was acceptable but far from memorable and again, the nature of the resort encourages gorging or simply throwing away whatever you don't want. I really don't feel great about overeating a bunch of average food.

The facilities overall are very nice and the staff was generally sweet, if typically a little slack like most beach resorts...many mismanaged food orders, mechanical issues in our rooms, etc. This is NOT anything close to a five-star type of experience a la Four Seasons or Ritz, but it fits in nice with the Marriotts of the world. The cable television selection is minor and there were reception problems most of the time, for example.

A word about the wi-fi--it is terrible and basically unusable in the rooms. I realize some people go on vacation to get away from the Internet but there are some people who rely on it for their everyday living and if that's you, don't go here without knowing how bad the wifi is. It doesn't work at the beach or pools, either.

If you can speak at least a little bit of Spanish, it will help you here as well. Many of the staff are beginner level English proficiency.

Overall, this would be a 3.5 star hotel experience in the USA.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are spectacular. Get one if you can afford it.