We stayed Dec. 21-26th to celebrate the holidays with my family as well as my parents' 39th wedding anniversary. Since I read all the reviews on tripadvisor before making my decision where to stay in Cancun, I wanted to share my experience too. Let me get the bad part out of the way and then let you know why we ended up enjoying our time. I have traveled to Asia, Europe and across the US so I know things do happen but I hope my review helps other travelers have a better experience at the Omni Cancun.
We booked through Jetblue Getaways and will never plan on doing that again as I felt we overpaid for our vacation through this service. My parents booked through Orbitz and my brother booked through American Express. They had no problem with their Omni reservations when they booked. Unfortunately, Jetblue Getaways did not properly provide Omni with the correct number of guests (3 and one infant) yet charged us more. I called the Omni reservation line three times to provide them with our information and yet the actual hotel in Cancun did not have any of the information (i.e. crib). I would recommend calling the hotel directly if you want to make sure your requests are entered in properly. Because my parents had a confirmation #, my requests were sent for my parents and my brother and they had great rooms (1727(lagoon view) and 1703 (ocean-view)).
We used USA transfers (based on tripadvisor reviews) for our transportation from the airport to the hotel and back(http://www.entertainment-plus.net/) and had great service (on time, friendly, reliable) and would recommend their service to others. When we arrived, we were warmly greeted by the bellmen and the hotel was very clean with a great entrance. There was a wait to check-in even though as an Omni Select guest member you are supposed to have a faster check-in. I took the advice from other reviews and signed up on the Omni website prior to my arrival. They do provide you with free wifi (save $15/day) and extra benefits in the morning for coffee/tea delivered to your room as well as extra water bottles at check-in. The gentleman working the front desk (can't remember his name) was annoyed because I didn't have a confirmation # at check-in. Of course, I tried to get the confirmation number from the Omni reservation line (3x) prior to the trip but was told on the 3rd call that I did not/could not be provided one since I used Jetblue Getaways (yet my mother had confirmation #' through orbitz and my brother through American Express).
We had a very long day of travel with an infant and 5 year old so we were exhausted. Because the hotel only had us down for 2 guests, we were told the hotel could only provide us with a king-sized bed and no crib for my family of 4 (room #1121). After I complained that we couldn't fit all in the same bed, he said that they could bring an extra bed into the room (at no additional cost, as a courtesy). He kept repeating it was because we had no confirmation #. After paying Jetblue Getaways for 3 people, I was annoyed that Jetblue only reserved our room for 2. He brushed us off and said sorry that was all that he could do and come back in the morning to try to change rooms, maybe something would be available. Our bellman that took us to the room was very kind and understanding. Even though tips were included in our all-inclusive, we still tipped. We appreciated his kindness after a long day of travel.
Well, once we were in the room, all we could hear was the techno from the pool since they had evening activities right outside of our ground-floor room. It was a terrible room for anybody with a family. The activities are located around the pool and goes until 10PM at night. If you are traveling with young children, that is the last room you want to be in if you want to put your children to sleep. Apparently, it was an upgrade since I was told by the same front desk person that it was an oceanview (No view of the ocean, but I could see the patrons of the buffet restaurant eating). Since we had no choice, we stayed. The shower head pressure in the room was so strong, it felt like bee stings. Unfortunately, no way to adjust the pressure.
The next morning, we went to have breakfast in the buffet/La Paloma and returned to find that we were locked out of our room. They had "moved" us to the same floor as my parents but did not let us know in advance so we could not get back into our original room to retrieve our items. After getting the key to the new room, we moved ourselves to the 17th floor and although we were "downgraded" to a lagoon view, we had 2 full size beds and after some waiting, a crib. The morning front desk staff was able to do what the evening front desk staff couldn't and we were so thankful that they worked hard to accommodate us. Although the Omni started on a bad note, they did do many things right. So on to the good things.
1) Hotel was very clean. The staff at the Omni work very hard to keep the grounds and hotel clean. All the common areas were always being swept, wiped down or attended to.
2) Room size was large enough to accommodate at least four people. Each of the three rooms we were in had wonderful balconies with a great ocean view (1703) and great sunsets from lagoon view (1723, 1727). The beds were comfortable and the sheets and towels were above average quality. The shower was average. The rooms on the lagoon side were quiet but you could hear the traffic on the road only when on the balcony. On the ocean side, you had a stunning view of the ocean from the balcony but could hear the nightly entertainment when outside.
3) Fantastic wait staff. We ate at all the restaurants and want to thank Jose and the others at Pina Colada, who were awesome.
4) Great soft sand (we walked along the beach and some resorts were very rocky) and wait staff (thanks Josephina/Consuela for bringing my daughter beach toys) on the beach.
5) Kids Club. My daughter had a blast and did not want to leave. Lots of variety planned for the kids (aged 5-12).
6) Clean pools. Although the pool water was cold, the pool area and pool were clean. The wait staff around the pools were great. Special thanks to Ulysses who kept the drinks and food coming all day.
7) Gym had good number of free weights and more variety than some other hotels. Bathrooms in the gym were shared with the spa and were very clean.
8) Great walking path along the lagoon side for running/walking for exercise.
9) Captain's Cove restaurant across the street was above average seafood fare.
10) Convenience store a short walk from hotel for little things.
11) Trip to Isle de Mujeres was nice (beautiful but a long day trip).
1) Food choices and limited selection of dining options. This is not a resort for Foodies (read the review from John D, he sums it up nicely). The food is average. Da Vinci is the only "nice" restaurant and it tried hard with the menu selections but did not quite deliver. I would rate the restaurant slightly above average but the best choice on the resort. The choices at La Paloma (depending on what theme it is for the night) was average. It was a decent choice if you wanted to graze on dessert or fruit between meals. My favorite out of the options was Pina Colada for breakfast. The view of the ocean while having breakfast was the best. I really enjoyed the green juice "Juego verde" and the other options of fruit juices (fresh) and fruits. If you wanted a heartier breakfast, the made-to-order eggs were nice. We ate there once for lunch and the ceviche was pretty good and a bit better option for dining than the buffet. The taco bar was a nice choice for snacks/lunch during the day when around the pool. The food was made to order and the horchata was tasty. The hamburgers were not very good though. The wings at the pool side dining area were decent. The sushi took forever to get and it was only decent. If you like cream cheese in all your sushi rolls, then you will enjoy eating at the sushi bar. The room service food was decent and did not take that long to deliver. The drink choices were average.
2) Family oriented. Not for couples or singles.
3) Steep drop-off from sand to ocean and very windy during the time of year we went. Other resorts had a more level beach. Did have to go early to get a beach lounge chair.
4) Tennis courts were strange. The ground was mesh-metal and made the balls bounce funny. Had to rent the racquets at $5/2 rackets.
There was no time-share hassle during our stay. We were treated well and enjoyed our time at the resort. It is a smaller resort (my sisters had stayed at the Grand Oasis and said it was much bigger with more choices). It worked well for families with small children as it was easy to get to the beach/pool area and back to the hotel room without a significant trek. We tried to plan something special for our parents for their wedding anniversary during our stay but the waiter forgot at Da Vinci and the event coordinator stated everything was booked for the days we were there. If you are looking for good customer service, Omni Cancun is a good choice. If you want good food and more options for an all-inclusive package, I would look for other hotel resorts.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.