It was very difficult for us to write this review because we actually like this hotel and the people who worked there seem really genuine, so it is sad for us to write this “below expectations” review.
We intentionally booked all-inclusive at the Le Blanc to mark our honeymoon – as the reviews looked amazing! This hotel promised to maintain high standards in both facilities and service together with a promise to exceed all expectations. But we were disappointed by a number of things, we can list these as follows:
Food, Restaurants and Beverages
We love fine dining and Le Blanc promised this in abundance! But it was very sad for us to experience that at no time during our stay was world class cuisine presented. In all honesty we would personally rate the food quality as typical 4 star standard in comparison to many of the 5 star hotels which we have stayed. We fully understand that food quality is very subjective and differs from country to country, however we can list the following concerns which we would consider as failings:
1. Illness. Together we experienced four bouts of diarrhoea during our stay. We appreciate that this could be caused by typical travel bugs, however as we are both frequent travellers (and eat various food types) we do find this unlikely. We are in no way challenging the cleanliness of the kitchens (to the contrary as everything appeared very clean) however we would perhaps question the thoroughness of the cooking, especially with meat dishes.
2. Italian Restaurant. Perhaps this was the most inept of all the meal experiences during out stay. We felt the flavours did not at all reflect the true essence of Italian food, sorry.
3. International Restaurant - evening. Honestly the food was weak on all levels.
4. Oriental Restaurant. The better of the three main restaurants, but typically missing the ‘WOW’ flavour.
5. French Restaurant. Ok - but in our opinion not great. A great opportunity to introduce exiting flavour but felt quite pedestrian.
6. Level 3 pizza. By far the best experience…but rating a small pizza area with a limited menu as the best restaurant at Le Blanc?
7. There was a real anticipation for an exciting array of drinks and cocktails. Unfortunately may tasted like any other typical hotel cocktail offerings, again quite pedestrian rather than ‘special’
8. We did have room service three times during our stay (when we were ill) Again sorry to say that it was dry and tasteless.
9. Special credit should be given to Aqualino and Marco as they effectively saved our breakfast and lunch experiences. In fairness this was good food and did save us having to search outside of the hotel for meals.
Note: The hotel is quick to rebuff any accusation of ‘food hygiene issues’ and are eager to state that they conform to Mexican food standards directives. We reiterate that we do not challenge the cleanliness of the kitchens as we did not witness the state of these areas. All we state is that we got ill on four occasions, which is very unusual for us.
The promise of first class pampering was another attraction at Le Blanc, especially for our honeymoon. It was frustrating for us to experience a totally inconsistent level of service during our stay. Again we understand that service expectations are very subjective. But it is our opinion.
1. If this note is achieve anything PLEASE can you ensure that the lifeguard keeps to his duty. Whilst he is no doubt a good lifeguard we noticed his attention was frequently distracted from watching people in the sea! Anyone who knows Cancun will understand how dangerous the sea is there…
2. Associated with the above was the apparent lack of beach staff. On most days we set up our own sunbeds.
3. Some staff seem very inexperienced.
4. Another attraction to Le Blanc was the “dedicated butler” per floor from 7am – 11pm (We had Jonathon and Frank as the butlers and both were a real credit to the hotel) however the real problem is that they are rarely at their desks. Typically (we noticed anyway) that they were working on our floor from 8am-10am and 5pm-7pm. The rest of the time they were stationed at the main reception concierge desk. Effectively this ‘dedicated butler’ appears just slightly better than any normal reception concierge service, regardless of star rating.
Quality of Amenities
I can well imagine the upkeep of a hotel is a very challenging and onerous task but we still felt that there were several aspects of amenities that seems to fall into disrepair. This did effect our overall impression and enjoyment of the hotel, generally, and on many levels, devoid of heightened 5* detail. I can state 100’s of my observations of poor quality, but I do trust them when they say they are improving these failings. Time will tell (and future reviews!)
The Le Blanc try’s to be tranquil as a normal spa hotel (lots of whale music ect!) but also trendy, vibrant and stylish. It was apparent that much of the entertainment is so very subtle it is almost non-existent. In our opinion it was just a bit boring! (sorry we have to be honest!) We appreciate that this is a completely subjective comment! So possibly heaven for many?
One thing that really annoyed us is when we did complain we often found the response was often rather shallow with generic ‘hotel responses’ (“your opinion helps us improve” “sorry, we will do better” ect ect) All said very nicely, of course.
We are certain that many members of staff found us challenging/moaners/divas ect for pointing problems out (perhaps not the “done thing” at Le Blanc!) but we are sure that many of our comments are valid and should cause concern. However, whilst we may appear as if we hated the Le Blanc in reality we didn’t! We can commend your hotel for the following:
1. Rooms were always cleaned immaculately
2. The room amenities are very good and are clearly 5* standard
3. Views (from our room anyway) was stunning
4. The rooms (whilst we were there anyway) were very quiet
5. The building interior appears well maintained
6. Check in/out was very efficient
7. The beach and gardens are well kept
8. Plenty of sunbed space
9. There are a number of little ‘unique’ things the Le Blanc does which is cute (things like the small squiggle in the cigarette sand for example) In our opinion it would be a good idea to try more?
Paul and Angela
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Introducing the luxurious adults only Le Blanc Spa Resort - the transformation of all-inclusive into all-incredible. Created for the discerning traveler by one of Mexico's most celebrated designers, Le Blanc Spa Resort elevates the vacation experience with an uncompromising determination to exceed your every expectation ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Regatta Hotels, Booking.com, Expedia, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Despegar.com, Travelocity, Odigeo, Otel, Venere, TripOnline SA, Jetsetter and Tingo so you can book your Le Blanc Spa Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Le Blanc Cancun
- Le Blanc Spa Resort Cancun
- Le Blanc Mexico
- La Blanc Cancun