“Loved the People!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sunset Marina Resort & Yacht Club

You added Sunset Marina Resort & Yacht Club to your Saves list
Sunset Marina Resort & Yacht Club
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Blvd. Kukulkan Km. 5.8, Zona Hotelena, Cancun 77500, Mexico (Formerly Sunset Lagoon Resort Hotel & Marina)   |
Ranked #24 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Longview, Wa
“Loved the People!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2007

We stayed the week of March 16-23rd. The people were great! There are no waiters at the pool, which the bar is not that far away. We are just used to having a waiter out by the pool and would of liked that.We thought the food was good, not great but we weren't that dissapointed. Cesar and Johnny were great! They were always planning something or entertaining you. This hotel is alot smaller version of the Sunset Royal, but we liked that. We did go over to the royal and lay out on the carribean side one day. It's beautiful! We went on a timeshare speel to get Tulum, Xel-Ha or Chetinitza free. We were told that we had a choice of either and that it was a $100 retail. We chose Tulum & Xel-ha. When we got to the tour bus we were told that all we got was the entrance to the parks. These are all inclusive trips and we had to pay an extra $50 to use all the amenities. We feel that we were misled and couldn't do anything about it but pay or we would of had our snorkel, intertube, food, drink, towels, and lockers all at an individual charge. Which would have came to a lot more. We weren't the only ones on the bus that got this also. So beware! make sure if you are going on the sales trip that you get an all inclusive on the gifts. Do not buy timeshares! You can't ever get a room if you do at the Sunset. They are selling you access to their hotels only. We talked to several people and they say you can't get in for years. We reccomend riding the city buses. They go everywhere for about .65c. We never had any problems at all. There are also no beach vendors bothering you at all here and there were only a few at the Royal. They weren't pushy at all.

Stayed March 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2007

We stayed at the Sunset Lagoon march 10-17 and the experience was nice but not outstanding

The good:
The grounds were well maintained and groomed daily
Housekeeing was wonderful. Its lots of work to keep the sand out
Activities were pretty good. My son liked the free scuba lessons and volleyball.
Staff were very curtious. We were always greeted with a smile. Jose at the towel counter was the best. He always kept us laughing with his comments. Good job Jose.
Buffet was varied daily and had some pretty exotic choices. It was OK . You cant expect Mexicans to perfect lasagna any more than I can make a proper fajita.
Free boat shuttle to the other beach was great.
The other beach (Sunset Hotel) was alot of fun but the restaraunt was hard to get into due to its small size. It was much quieter at the lagoon.
The time share vultures simply asked if we were interested in sitting through the presentation and when we said no , they were curtious and never bothered us again.
The free "jungle tour" was great but was more of a reef tour. A quick boat ride..30 minutes of snorkeling then back home. Tons of fun but my son's trip wasnt included in the all inclusive package since I didnt pay the adult price.
Never saw a bug in my room and contrary to other reviews there were no mosquito swarms, no one broke in and stole anything and the lagoon didnt "stink" Its a lagoon..its shallow, grassy and doesnt move. You want waves, go to the Sunset Hotel.

Bad:
1) All inclusive package was fairly cheap for Cancun but we certainly didnt eat $85 worth of food per person per day.
2) For whatever reason, I had one day of diarrhea and one night of vomitting and diarrheah(no I wasnt drunk) 2 and 4 days into the trip. The sunset restraunts were the only places I ate.
3) Italian restaraunt's reservations filled up fast. We only got in once for our free lobster dinner. My "steak"was literrally the size of a silver dollar and wafer thin. MAKE RESERVATIONS EARLY IN YOUR TRIP.The waiters at the Italian restraunt never smiled and seemed pretentious. Perhaps they were just trying to be formal.
4) For the free jungle trip you had to be there at 0730 even though there were later times. The attitude was..what do you want for free? For $85 a day per person, let me sleep in.
5) All inclusive means gratuities included however bellboys and shuttle boat captains always seemed to be waiting for a tip. The shuttle boat even had a tip box with a sign on it.
6) The room (a bottom level room) smelled VERY musty and had brown water leaking from behind the sink somewhere. The shower stopped up twice and the toilet twice. Each time we called, maintenance was there in a jiffy. It was obvious that in a hard rain the place would be and had been a swimming pool.
Childrens rates are "ages 6-12" but according to them that means that on your 12th birthday you are an adult. I argued and won. 6-12 to me and everyone else means at 13 you are adult., not 12. Watch that one. Nice try. Clarify and fight that battle before you go and bring the e-mail with you.
7) My wife and I dont drink beer (stocked in the room) so we asked for a bottle of red wine. just one. The bartender refused. $85 per day? Let me have the $2 bottle of red wine for gosh sakes so I dont have to balance 6 styrofoam cups on my way back to the room.
8)The airport. OH MY GOD..what a nightmare. Get your bags, keep your head down saying no senior to EVERYONE who tries to "help you" (after you leave customs) The "information" counter is a disguise for people trying to get you to go to their resort or sit through a timeshare presentation. Once outside ONLY go with the taxi driver who has your name on his list. Others will tell you they are there for you. Obviously they are not. Keep the instructions the sunset group sends you and show them to the taxi driver.Actually see your name on a list. If its not on there. You will be paying for your trip. If you want to call yourself an all inclusive resort. Pick us up AND drop us off at the airport. The trip back to the airport was $50 One way transportation is not appropriate for an all inclusive resort.
9) I arrived at 950pm but still had to pay the full day all inclusive. That was the most expensive meal I ever ate. Arrive early to get your moneys worth. Book flights later in the day (but not too late) You MUST be gone by 10am. My flight left at 11am and they made me get a taxi by 0730.
10) The toilet was hooked to the hot water line. So when you went to the bathroom, it cooked a bit before you flushed it. Thats a smell I wish I never experenced.

Overall: Very relaxing,pretty place, grounds well maintained. Rooms and plumbing..not so much. Staff were very nice. Housekeeping terrific. My kid enjoyed the shows and activities but the beach at the other resort was the real star. A bit overpriced for the ammenities but its Cancun,. Truthfully I enjoyed the Palace resorts (Spa Palace) more but you pay more and its a longer trip to get to the beach.

• Liked — The view, the people, access to the beach but relaxing at night by the lagoon, wee groomed
  • Disliked — the plumbing, I was sick a few times, room was musty
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2007

We stayed at The Sunset Lagoon in March, '07, after getting bumped from the Sunset Royal, where we originally wanted to stay. Turned out to be the perfect resort for our family.
The Lagoon is much cozier than the Royal, better pool, and we were not surrounded by all the spring break college kids.
We did all-inclusive, and I thought the meals at the buffet were fine, you could tell they tried to change up the offerings, and everything was very fresh. They did a great job with the fish and the chicken. Breakfast was the best meal of the day, though.
The way we got our reservation we were forced to sit through the time-share spiel. They said 90 mintues - HA! Ours went 5 hours! This was the highest-pressure sales pitch I've ever sat through, and our salesperson even pulled out a weapon I hadn't seen used before - tears. Even though she cried, we held firm. After that they left us alone and the rest of our trip was fun.
The front desk staff and the concierge were friendly, but not very good at explaining things to us in English, it helped immensely that my husband speaks Spanish. The activities and shows were fun, the kids loved bingo, casino night, the crafts, scuba lessons and the water taxi.
We did the jungle tour and the Coba excursion - which I highly recommend. We rapelled off a cliff, rode a zip line over the jungle, swam in an underwater cave and climbed a pyramid. Nice.
A warning though - unless you specifically request a ground-floor room, there will be lots of stairs - up to your room and more inside your room. Not a problem unless you have someone in your party with mobility problems - which we did. It didn't occur to us to ask if they had elevators, we figured all resorts do. This one doesn't.
But we thought it was a nice place, clean and bright, with very friendly staff.

• Liked — cozy feel of the resort, lots of activities
  • Disliked — stairs, heavy-handed high pressure time-share pitch
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Leslie, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2007

We are members of the Sunset Group and RCI in which we own a timeshare at all the Sunset hotels. We have been to the Sunset Lagoon twice and have had our room flooded twice. They're batting 1000. The first time was back in 2003 in december where we had a storm come through and heard a "pop" sound about 6am and awoke to find our room under water over our ankles. The second time was this February 2007 where we were out on a daytrip only to return to the hotel to find our room under water again for the second time in two trips. I will have to add that the staff was tireless to comfort us on our stay and to assist us with anything that we needed until they could fix our room or relocate us. Kudos to the fantastic staff!! My only reservation about staying there is...

If you check in and find that your room is one on a lower lever or split lower underground, GET ALL YOUR BELONGINGS OFF THE FLOOR AND UP ON TABLES. If you receive rain and something happens to the plumbing, you WILL flood in those rooms. Their design doesn't have the water wicking properties of something you may find in an area prone to rainfall, so if it looks like rain be prepared. If you flood, let them know your room is flooded and go have a seat at the bar and they'll make sure that you are filled with spirits while you're relocated or your room is completely cleaned.

Other than that problem, it rained pretty hard both time we stayed, the staff and meals made up for everything else. That was a big reason we went back this year after the first flooded trip. I may go back again if I can book a room above ground up front.

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — Plumbing and flooding
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2007

We spent 7 days in Jan "07 at the Sunset Lagoon. It was a surprise for my husbands 60th birthday. Our son & daughter & their spouses & our 4 grandkids. (ages 7,4,2,1) joined us there. Everyone had a great time. We all loved the resort. The rooms were great. We did have a problem with one of the three condos, but they gave us a different room the next day. The staff was the best. They were so friendly & kind to all of us. The food was yummy. We all loved the fresh fruit & salads. They were nice about fixing special orders for the grandkids. We never got tired of the food that they served. There was always lots to choose from & new things every night.
Their pool was very child friendly. They also have some fun activities for the kids. We also loved the jungle cruise that came with the all-inclusive package. The 10 min. boat trip over to their sister resort was fun. The beach there had some great waves to play in.
Our kids liked the Karaoke night. Casino night was fun too. They had a different theme every night along with a show to go along with it. It was pretty entertaining.
I'm not sure why this resort has some bad reviews. If you have never been to Mexico before you need to know that it is not as nice as a 5 star resort in Hawaii. But, it is just as fun & the ocean is the most beautiful blue you will ever see.

florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2007

We just returned from a two week vacation in Cancun. The first week was spent at Sunset Lagoon and it was wonderful. The second week we stayed at The Royal Mayan and it was average at best!

Sunset Lagoon is an intimate property, more like a boutique hotel with an incredible staff. The location is perfect. The rooms are varied in their layout depending on their location and size. We preferred the lagoon front, upper floor. The jacuzzi on the patio was delightful, especially in the evening when you could enjoy the sunset.

We chose the all-inclusive package and were extremely pleased. The food, served buffet style, was diverse, fresh, and very tasty.
The selection of wine was limited but very good. Accolades to the staff as well! They seem to really care about their guests and they are very friendly and will do their best to fulfill almost any request. We will definitely return!

D.C.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2007

We stayed at the Sunset Lagoon at the end of January 2007 and found it pleasant and comfortable. The rooms are neat and clean and the staff friendly. When we needed special room service it was prompt and courteous.

The resort facilities and grounds are well maintained and kept up on a daily bases. The facility is walled off from the street with access only through the main lobby. The resort is no more than 3 stories high and the rooms either face the lagoon or an inner courtyard. Access to the rooms is via a meandering landscaped pathway that is well lit and protected from the street. Access to second and third story rooms is by winding staircases from the main pathway. When you walk down the pathway you feel like you are meandering down a small village street than inside a resort. The walls are all white stucco and kept freshly painted. The rooms all have marble tile floors and the furnishings are well kept. The mattresses on the beds are firm and the linen soft. Furnishings may vary depending on whether you get a 1 bedroom, 2 bedrooms or studio.

The resorts offers small sail boats catamarans, and sea kayaks for use on the lagoon free of charge. Power and jet boats can be rented at rates that are comparable to other rentals along the hotel strip. The swimming pool is near the main lobby area and has a pool bar, wet slide and an area set up for water polo. The resort offers various activities throughout the day geared toward families.

If you want to go to the beach on the ocean side you can take a water shuttle from Sunset Lagoon to their sister resort, Sunset Royal, located on the Caribbean. (Note: the shuttle is free but tips are well received by the crew)

We opted out of the all inclusive package and did not eat at the resort. However, other guests said the food was good and service on par with other resorts. (If we were to do it over we probably would opt in for the 3 day all inclusive package, but not all week)

Our main reason for selecting the Sunset Lagoon was because we were looking for a resort in the hotel zone of Cancun where you did not feel that you were staying in a hotel, but had a laid back cozy feel. The Sunset Club Lagoon met those criteria. It is within the hotel zone with quick access to the night life offered along the hotel strip as well as easy access to the city of Cancun proper via bus, taxi or if you are daring enough driving your own car. The resort does have an on-site car rental office

Note: you may be subject to Sunset's '90 minute time-share presentation' depending on how you booked your week. This is a high pressure sale and is usually longer than the advertised 90 minutes - more like a good part of the morning or afternoon. (This is not unusual for time-share presentations no matter where you attend one) If you have never sat through one of these it can be quite overwhelming. 'Not interested' or 'no' is not in the sales person's vocabulary. However, don’t take it personally and don't get rude - they make their living doing this and only get paid if they make a sale. I have sat through a number of these presentations and it does not make any difference whether you are in Mexico, the USA or somewhere else - the sales pressure is the same. I own a time-share and am very satisfied with it. I use it for personal or family use and have never considered it an investment property. When I did decide to purchase a time-share I waited for the best offer, price wise, and took all the other throw-ins, such as extra weeks, 2x1 cruises, marketing weeks and such with a grain of salt. If I could sell or use them great - but they were not a factor in my final decision to buy. If resort vacationing is for you then a vacation time-share may be an option. However, go into the presentation with your eyes wide open, your hand tightly over your wallet and don't be tempted to buy at the first offer. Also, buy into a resort that you can afford realizing that if you buy at the low end then only comparable low end resorts will be available to you via the various exchange services such as RCI, SFX. If you decide not to buy, some sales persons will get rude, that is their problem, not yours. If you need to, get up and excuse yourself and be firm in your final decision. It is an interesting experience and sometimes quite exasperating sitting through one of these presentations. Just put it down as one of the planned activities during your vacation. Then go and enjoy your other activities.

Stayed January 2007

Been to Sunset Marina Resort & Yacht Club? Share your experiences!