“The perfect family atmosphere!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sunset Marina Resort & Yacht Club

Save Saved
You added Sunset Marina Resort & Yacht Club to your Saves list
Sunset Marina Resort & Yacht Club
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Blvd. Kukulkan Km. 5.8, Zona Hotelena, Cancun 77500, Mexico (Formerly Sunset Lagoon Resort Hotel & Marina)   |
Ranked #28 of 172 hotels in Cancun
A TripAdvisor Member
“The perfect family atmosphere!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2004

I stayed at the Sunset lagoon Hotel for the first 2 weeks in December.
It was my first time in Mexico and I had the most wonderful 2 weeks of my life! Everyone was so friendly and hospitable, especially the entertainment staff.

One of the things that impressed me the most at Sunset was that it was very quiet and safe. There were alot of families there and they didn't have to worry about their kids 24/7. Sunset has a wonderful babysitting service. So I recommend this place if you're taking your family on a trip.

And for all of you who didn't like it because it was a time share, well......everywhere you go now, people are going to be hassleling you.
Not even in Cancun. I've been to other places in Mexico and it's the same thing. I know it's very annoying to be hassled but just say no. Or go to the presentation for the free gift and tour.

829 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2004

Wow, this place is absolutely amazing. I've been there twice now and it just keeps getting better. This years staff was better by far...
Cougar, Alexis, Jonathan, Alex, Pepe, Victor, Irma, Fernando, Cynthia, Orlando, and especially Tere. They all made my trip worth while. I can't wait till next yeat to see them again! I think everyone should experience the atmosphere there at least once.
~Mitch

sunderland u.k.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2004

my wife & i stayed here for our first mexican holiday & found it very nice. the staff were polite & very helpful, the food was pleasant, the room was very clean with a beautiful view of the lagoon & the nightime entertainment was very good. we have since been to the tucancun beach resort & the moon palace golf resort but i will always have a soft spot for the cosy sunset lagoon.

• Stayed November 2000
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2003

When we booked our trip through the Hotels web site, there was not listed anywhere that this experience was a time share! We booked our trip at the Sunset Lagoon hotel. When we arrived, and they found out we were not "members" we were told that they were overbooked & they were going to "upgrade" us. We were shipped off to the Royal Sunset hotel...very beautiful but just a high-rise hotel on a hotel strip just like Las Vegas. They did not have any knowledge that we were coming, it took over 2 hours to get a room and we were hounded by time share vultures while waiting to get a room. The next several days we were constantly hounded until we got very angry and threatened to bad mouth the hotel to everyone we saw. They finally placed a bracelet on us and we were left alone. The only saving factor with the whole trip was 2 staff members of the hotel, Jason & Anna. They really made us laugh and tried to cover over the bad experience. The food was very good, our room was nice but the whole experience was way too comercialized. It was NOT the trip we were lead to believe and we spent quite a bit of money on it. We certainly will never book through that web site again and will not be going to Cancun anytime in the near future. Puerta Vallarta is the place to go. We have had great experiences there!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2003

I really enjoyed my stay at the Sunset Lagoon. My room was excellent. I had a partial view of the beach and the decor was beautiful. The only problem...my room was located on the 3rd floor and there are no elevators. I looked at it as exercise, however for those with problems do request that floor.
The entertainment each night was great. Alex, Cougar, Terry and I can't remember everyone's name put on a good show and involved everyone at the hotel.
The girls who set up the tours, Aurora,Nareda and etc. made sure they explained each tour and gave tips on how to get the best of your money for the tours.
This was my first time going all-inclusive. I loved the ambience of the Italian restaurant. The buffets were OK, but that's at all hotels. I like the freedom to eat wherever I want.
The entire Staff of the Sunset Lagoon was not only professional, but friendly. I would recommend this hotel.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2003

This resort is full of people that are ready to pounce on you for a Timeshare! The food is very bland and the tipping is not included as it says. It was a hassel to get anything that was promised in our package (like transportation and massage) since we did not want to listen to their Timeshare speech. Basically we were ignored because of this. We decided that being ignored was a good thing for us, but we also felt that we were not given as good of service as the rest of the guests. I would not recommend this place to anyone that is wanting a nice hassel free vacation! Be careful of the guys in the building selling tours, they too want to sell you a Timeshare! The airport is also full of hundreds of sales people looking to sell you a Timeshares. Are you seeing the pattern? We won't be going back.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2003

The room is clean, food is nice, the staff is kind.You don't mention about money because of allinclusive plan. You can drink, eat and play by you want to do. I really recommend you this hotel.

• Stayed December 2003

Been to Sunset Marina Resort & Yacht Club? Share your experiences!