“Very Nice Stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sunset Marina Resort & Yacht Club

You added Sunset Marina Resort & Yacht Club to your Saves list
Sunset Marina Resort & Yacht Club
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Blvd. Kukulkan Km. 5.8, Zona Hotelena, Cancun 77500, Mexico (Formerly Sunset Lagoon Resort Hotel & Marina)   |
Ranked #33 of 179 Hotels in Cancun
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Waldorf, Maryland
“Very Nice Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We stayed here for a one week vacation to celebrate our birthdays, and I must admit that at first I was nervous about it. But the room was very clean, when a couple of things weren't working properly when we first arrived, they sent a repairman up to fix them immediately. The staff was VERY pleasant and attended to your every need. Bell Boy Jose, Front Desk man Rudy, Concierge, the Restauraunt staff including those for our wonderful Lobster dinner, and the maids were absolutely wonderful. The food was very good and the entertainment nights were fun too. I saw Pilates classes outdoors in the mornings, but didn't partake this time.
My sons loved the pool, but wished that we had more kids/teen activities to do daily. Unfortunately we weren't too keen on using the boats on the lagoon since crocs live in there, although we're told they stay mainly on the other side.
So we usually took the boat over the the Sunset Royal for teen fun activities led by staff. Over there they had independent and staff-led games for teens daily played ping-pong (ours at Sunset Lagoon was set over to the side very close to the lagoon where the ball kept going in the water they said), water basketball, volleyball, tossing a football, and other water games were set up there by staff. We enjoyed this part of the property also due to the ocean views, Jonah's wonderful cooking class, Bingo, and the Salsa classes that turned out to be so much enjoyment.
It was a great experience overall and the Sunset Lagoon overall, and I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: We stayed in the back of the resort, and for the first 2 days there was an unpleasant odor coming fr...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

Rudy and Eunice at the buffet, David pool side entertainment and Christian the pool bartender are the BEST. See you in November!!
The new marina restaurant is a nice addition.
The beach at Sunset Royal always inviting!!

• Stayed February 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

With my wife we spent a week in Sunset Marina Resort. Staff was welcoming and very helpful. We were impressed by very high quality of yoga and Pilates instructors ( Elizabeth, Debra, Victor and Aldo), their dedication and professionalism. Entertainment was good, day activities organized by staff especially Liz and David were filling our day. Great place to rest exercise and have some fun

• Stayed February 2013
Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

The rooms are very clean and kept up, the people that work there are Very friendly and helpful. We never had one bad meal in the resort. The pizzeria they put in outside is excellent. We had a very nice relaxing and fun time and would stay again anytime. The only thing i would say not to do is get your laundry done through the resort, we had 15 pieces washed and when we got the bill it was $93. It is sent out to a third party to be done and what a major RIP OFF!!! We found out the laudry mat just down the road would have done that and more for $10..that mad us very mad. The resort and people are very good at what they do. Wish they got payed more though!!!

Room Tip: lagoon view
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Shellbrook, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We recently returned home from Sunset Marina Resort & Yacht Club - don't let the name fool you. There was no hot water - after 5-10 min of letting the shower run it was lukewarm and smelled like sewer. Food was very disappointing. Staff was not very helpful when it came to asking questions - they either could not speak English or they didn't know what we were talking about. It was located on the main street and had to cross the street to go for a walk or anything. You were taking ur life in ur hands crossing that street (very busy). No beach - you had to take a boat or bus to the sister resort if you wanted to go to the beach or cross the street and walk to the public beach. My husband ended up getting sick and we couldn't find a doctor or anyone to help us. There were no travel reps there and when we ask the front desk for contact numbers they didn't know. We finally called a travel agent back home and she booked us a flight home. He saw a doctor when we got home and he had food poisoning. Will never go back to this resort again and will not recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

my husband and I, stayed at the sunset resort in January and we were very pleased with our stay.

I was a bit worried at first, after reading some of the "not so good reviews" about the impolite behavior of the front desk personel, especially, because we were NOT members fo this resort, BUT, after we stayed there, I must say, that these bad reviews did not at all turn out to be valid.

the personel at the front desk was always very kind and helpful and always smilingly replying to our request and questions.

we were very well treated, and especially the person at the front door (I do not remember his name) was extremely helpful and kind to us and was always willing to go out of his way to make our time a good one.

we did not have the all-inclusive option, since we had food allergies/restrictions, but that did not make any difference, since the kitchen in the room was enough for us to make some meals and breakfast, and there were enough places to eat outside who catered to our food needs.

maybe if there would be some detailed menu list/description, which one can get BEFORE going there, (which states what food items contain eggs, meat, fish, wheat, ect.) (as many of the other hotels/resort in other countries already do, due to the different food allergies that people nowadays have), then,
it would have been possible to find out, what and what not, one can eat.
But since nobody really spoke well enough english, this option was not possible, therefore, we had to take the non-all-inclusive option.
otherwise, maybe, we would have choosen the all-inclusive option.

what we were most happy about, was the very well maintained resort and the extreme cleanliness of the rooms and the premises. our towels were changed every day and the sheets and pillow covers too.
the quality of the towels was also excellent.

there was never any time when we were bothered about some kind of tip, as some other travellers have mentioned. everybody was very professional.

we also did especially like the boat tour to the sister hotels, where we could go on the beach. this was really really nice, and iI think, t was due to us being a member of RCI club. I am not sure if non-members of any club, have this option.

the only thing that I might want to mention, is, that the pool was really too cold, and maybe, management can look into that matter and maybe find a way to heat the pool a bit, as the weather was also not very hot.
and the only reason one goes to a vacation, is, so one can go into the pool.

because of this reason, I maybe would have given a 4 star only, but, the overall quality of the resort was so good, that, I decided against it.

the only issue that bothered me and my husband were the extremely expensive tours/activities.

due to this reason we could only take one tour, during our stay, at 200$, and later on we found the same tour, was about 30$or more, cheaper, if we would have bought the tour outside of the hotel.

having to pay 300 - 500 US $ for a family, to go on a tour, or take an activity, for just a few hours only, is really extremely costly, in my own humble opinion of course.

I would definetely come back to this resort, because I liked it, but because of the high cost of tours/activities and high entrance cost to different shows, I don't think I would come back.

one can easily spend up to 1000 US$ per day,for a family or couple, just to attend a few shows, tours and activities.

this was the only place which we found was extremely expensive.
even the prices at walmart were higher than what we pay here, in Canada.

but, for those, who do not mind to spend that amount of money, this place is very nice , very clean, and very safe too.

still take care of your cameras and purses. one man had his camera that was hanging around his neck stolen, during the day, in a bus.

regarding the time share "botherations". yes, they approached us a few times, but we already are members of 3 different clubs and we told them, that we are not at all interrested to spend any more money on any other timeshare, and they never bothered us again.

Room Tip: take the room with a view to the lagoon side of the hotel. also, rooms on the top are a bit better a...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Albany, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

“Sunset Lagoon was FABULOUS......”
Greetings Reviewers, I just got back to New York from a fabulous vacation at the Sunset Resort. I was a little nervous after reading some of the other reviews, but I have to tell you - this was perhaps one of the best times I have had. Remember,… this is not a "RIU" and the cost was half the price, but the service, the room, the food, the location...everything was incredible. From the minute I arrived, my room was ready, the gentleman behind the desk was extremely kind and helpful, and the waiter Manuel as well as the Maitre 'D Alfredo were very welcoming. Anyone out there on the fence about choosing this resort-do it, I promise you won't regret it. I will definitely stay here the next time I come to Cancun.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Been to Sunset Marina Resort & Yacht Club? Share your experiences!