“Awesome Pool - Cheap Liquor & Not So Good Food” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Oasis Cancun

You added Grand Oasis Cancun to your Saves list
Grand Oasis Cancun
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd. Kukulcan Km. 16.5, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Ranked #88 of 178 Hotels in Cancun
Dallas, Texas
“Awesome Pool - Cheap Liquor & Not So Good Food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

This is my 6th time traveling to Cancun/Playa del Carmen. I have stayed in so many resorts. I loved the pool in this hotel and palm trees. It's huge pool and love the activities. The rooms were always clean and we had a semi good view. We didn't mind paying for room service. Great shows and entertainment for the guests. The only thing I completely disliked was the poor cheap alcohol & tequila options. The best they had was Jose Cuervo which is like a $12 bottle here in the US. Made us sick and couldn't enjoy drinking for the remainder of our trip taking advantage of the all inclusive . The beer tasted very watery. I think because it's all inclusive they serve you cheap drinks of course. Also, I was very dissatisfied with the swim up bars hours of operation. They close by 4:30-5pm which is way too early when you're on vacation. Then you get out of the pool to get a drink at another bar and they were out of beer in all of them (this happened twice). The food was not good. Even the restaurant ones were not good. Like not much flavor. I would stay here again only if they added a little more liquor and food options and extended swim up bar hours at least for one more hour. Other than that, hotel is not that bad.

Room Tip: You can still have a semi ocean view without having a direct ocean view and pay extra for it. I will...
Atención C, RP at Grand Oasis Cancun, responded to this review, August 22, 2014
Dear Sophie,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience; this helps us recognize our areas of opportunity so we can provide a better service in the future. We will contact the departments in charge to make sure the issues are rectified.
We would also like to let you know that we are constantly innovating our food and beverage department and offer a great variety of restaurants with high quality food for our guests to enjoy.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in our hotel to change your perception of us.

Kind regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (520)
  • Polish first
Wilmington, Delaware
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

The resort grounds are beautiful. The lobby really could use air conditioning. Didnt really enjoy the food on the resort even though we had AI. After a few not so good meals on the resort, we decided to venture off the resort for our meals. I think this hotel just really needs renovation. The room itself was okay but the bathroom is really outdated. It was a lot of 1/2 "butt" fixer uppers I noticed around this resort, which gave it a low budget look and feel. Some of the staff was friendly but then others weren't friendly at all. Not too mention some of the staff English language was not good at all nor their comprehension. Just not a good experience at all. It really ruined my feelings about going back to Cancun. That may have been my 1st and last time to Cancun.

Atención C, RP at Grand Oasis Cancun, responded to this review, August 19, 2014
"Dear Patrice,

We are sorry for the inconvenience you had with the air conditioning, we have passed this information on to our maintenance department who have resolved the issue

Kind Regards.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

We were terrified by the reviews but were pleasantly surprised. We arrived at 7 AM and the hotel offered to hold our bags and give us our wrist bands so that we had full access to the hotel which was AWESOME considering we had taken the red eye and were hungry and tired. We were told we could check in at 3 but checked in at around 4 because we lost track of time having fun at the beach and pool. The check in was very fast, like 5 minutes maybe and our room was fine, nothing special but perfect for us. AC worked perfect and we were really only there to sleep. My fiancé and I are easy going and all we wanted was a great beach and pool. Oasis has a beautiful beach and pool. The grounds are amazing with beautiful landscaping. Drinks are weak unless you ask them to be stronger, you can have whatever you want. The food was hit and miss. I suggest the VIP bar for breakfast and MAKE a RESERVATION for sure. We ate at the gourmet mexican food place one night and wished we had made more reservations because it was really good! It was my fiancés birthday and the waiter brought us a bottle of champagne and sang to us. It was very nice. This hotel is not an American Ritz Carleton so if you are looking for that then pay a ton more and you can stay at one right down the beach. If you just want to have fun at the beach and pool and are easy going this place is for you. Also the staff is very very nice!!

Atención C, RP at Grand Oasis Cancun, responded to this review, August 21, 2014
Dear Kirsten,

Thank you for your kind comments. We are pleased to know that you have enjoyed your vacations in our hotel and we are delighted to have met your expectations.
We are glad you enjoyed our daily shows and activities since we work really hard to keep our guests entertained and make sure they have an amazing time with us.
It is gratifying to receive such great comments regarding our service.
We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you once again in the future.

Kind regards
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

It started on day one. We had to change rooms 3 times room 1 shower did not work. Room 2 air condition did not work. Don't think you are getting all inclusive because there is a charge for safe in room there is a charge for wi fi. The service was the worst ever. I would not stay at this resort if they let me stay free.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Atención C, RP at Grand Oasis Cancun, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
Dear Nancy,

We appreciate your comments and we are truly sorry we were not able to meet your expectations. We try to do our best to satisfy all of our guests by providing a wide variety of services.
We have forwarded your comments to the corresponding departments so that they correct the inconveniences you encountered and so that these can be avoided in the future.

Kind regards
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

We stayed here last November - I remember going to this resort when I was a bit younger (21?) and thought it was awesome, however it's seemed to have gone a bit downhill. There were certainly redeeming qualities: the staff are very nice (although not overly helpful), the nightly shows are good and you can't beat the location..
now for the cons: we woke up to a flooded room one day (torrential rain leaked under the patio door), and this seemed to be a common theme throughout the whole hotel, towels soaking up water on the floor everywhere. The pool was very dirty, the drinks were not good (although that's to be expected throughout most of these resorts) and some of the restaurants we wanted to go to never opened in the entire week we were there.
There were some nightclubs and such on the resort, I think this would be a good resort for younger people (hence the fun I had at 21!) however, I think I'll invest a bit more money into my hotel if I ever go back to Cancun.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the main pyramid
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Atención C, RP at Grand Oasis Cancun, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Dear Guest,

We are truly sorry the weather caused some inconveniences during your stay, please accept our most sincere apologies. We want to let you know that all of your comments and opinions will be taken into account to offer a better service in the future and we will forward them to the appropriate departments in order to correct these issues.
Despite this, we still offer various indoor and outdoor shows and activities to entertain our guests on a daily basis.
We hope you can give us the opportunity to welcome you again.

Kind Regards
Fort Worth
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014 via mobile

We had many disappointing issues with this resort- check in/out were slow. We had to talk to 4 different people to move rooms b/c our first beach front (extra charge) was HORRIBLE.
The AC was awful, TV did not work and fridge was warm. They didn't seem to care much. The bathrooms were bad and our shower drain clogged.

Other issues - one bar near pool/beach. Very few trash cans, very few bath towels, subpar food and service. The beautiful beach and ocean were the only things that made this trip bearable.

• Stayed August 2014
Atención C, RP at Grand Oasis Cancun, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Dear Guest,

We are truly sorry that we were not able meet your expectations, we would like to sincerely apologize and let you know that all your comments and opinions are considered in order to improve our service.
Thank you for letting us know the inconveniences you encountered we have reported these to our maintenance and housekeeping departments who have fixed these issues.
We reiterate once again our sincere apologies for any inconvenience we caused and hopefully you can give us another opportunity to welcome you again.

Kind Regards
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

The staff here are very friendly, but REALLY DUMB. Maybe the staff are just victims of a poorly managed hotel. Just got back from this awful place on Aug. 4th.
The Pros:
Beautiful beachfront location, friendly staff, great pool.
The Cons:
*Check in: Took 45 minutes. They could not find my mom's reservation even after I told the front desk she was already there and checked in. Then they realized we had a VIP package and they sent me to another check in area where they STILL could not find our booking. Strangely this hotel is stuck in 1955 where they do not use computers to look things up. Instead they had checklists and spreadsheets and guest envelopes with key cards but NO COMPUTERS.
*Once our room was 'ready' we were given a key to someone else's room.
*Barely there AC in the restaurants (Sarape restaurant had zero AC); Waiting area for the Market Place buffet also no AC as well as the Sushi restauarnt, again no AC.
*Never Enough Towels stocked in the rooms. If you call and ask for more towels they will tell you they ran out. You must chase after housekeeping ladies with carts if you want them.
*They do not re-stock toilettries even after you leave them a note in the room. Bring your own!
*Our bathroom had a clogged bathtub so we always took showers with a tub full of bathwater from the previous person who showered.
*The late night buffet by Coyote Loco which is supposed to be open until 6am ran out of food TWICE while we waited in line for 1HOUR. No apology or announcement. We had to go to the front and ask what the hold up was. No trash cans anywhere either.
*THEFT: My sister's fiance had his watch stolen by housekeeping and it wasn't even in plain sight. They rummaged through his luggage.
*Which brings me to the next item: THE SAFE. $7USD per DAY to use it! Ridiculous.
*NO FREE WIFI. Enough Said.
*Pool closes at 8:30 but pool bar closes at 6pm. WHY?????
*We were given a dinner reservation for the wrong night and they would NOT honor our group of 9 for dinner at the White Box Restaurant. Jonathan at the Podium was not very friendly or accommodating and told us it was our fault for not looking at our confirmation. I asked him who the General Manager was and he said he "Wasn't sure". He did absolutely nothing not even apologize for not seating us. I find it baffling that the staff does not know who they work for!!
Jonathan ruined our last night and we ended up back at the Market Place Buffet and waited another 40 min with no AC in the waiting area just to get leftovers at the buffet since it was already 1030p at that point.
*Dinner Buffet: Go there right at 7p when it opens or you will wait in line for 30min or more just to get leftovers.
It's such a shame this hotel has no concept of customer service and has not heard of service recovery.
Poorly managed, under staffed, employees lack experience in dealing with conflict resolution.
I would go back to Cancun in a hearbeat, but NEVER AGAIN TO A GRAND OASIS HOTEL. JUST PLAIN AWFUL.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Atención C, RP at Grand Oasis Cancun, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us regarding your stay at our resort. We offer our sincere apologies that your time spent with us did not meet all your expectations. We would like to inform you that all your comments and opinions are considered in order to improve our service. It is important to highlight that every time you have a setback at the hotel you can contact our customer service staff to notify them so they can correct the situation. We hope you give us the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future and if there is anything you need please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards.

Been to Grand Oasis Cancun? Share your experiences!