“Great Value. Great location. Fantastic staff. (Shame about the Restaurant Policy).” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Oasis Cancun

You added Grand Oasis Cancun to your Saves list
Grand Oasis Cancun
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd. Kukulcan Km. 16.5, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Special Offer
Summer Sale: Over 50% Off
Ranked #92 of 179 Hotels in Cancun
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We booked our week at the Grand Oasis (3-10th Feb) on the basis that things generally go smoother between the Christmas and Spring Break peak times – which is when a lot of the less favorable reviews get posted due to the higher load factor and the clientele mix. Bear in mind that your experience may vary depending upon the number and type of guests in residence at the time of your stay.

We vacation at Cancun at least three times a year for a week at a time so we are familiar with what is or isn’t realistic to expect, and the fact that this isn’t Kansas. Over recent years the Grand Oasis has been our ‘go-to’ establishment when we want a budget priced, few frills, flawlessly-executed, week away during the off-season. In summary on this trip we had a very good week, with most things exactly as expected. Personally I won’t return so long as the hotel operates the crazy restaurant booking requirement for a la carte meals (discussed below). Cancun’s a very competitive market and there’s no need to have to get up at dawn and queue for an hour just to get your evening meal.

But starting on the plus side, our check-in was prompt and Norma and the desk staff did a great job of trying to accommodate our wishes. They went the extra mile to understand our preferences and to adjust arrangements accordingly. We were assigned a room in the Pyramid, which we prefer as they tend to be quieter (aside from the 7.30-8.30pm hour when the live show takes place in the atrium). We arrived at noon and had to return to the desk at 3pm to collect the keys, as is normal. A big thanks to them as I appreciate that the check-in time is very pressurized for the desk staff.

The room was fine with no major issues. The AC worked well, but the thermostat was mostly for show as far as I could tell - the system seemed locked to a management-defined temperature level.

Throughout the week the staff at the working level were friendly and did absolutely everything they could to accommodate our wishes. If they didn't have what we asked for to hand, they'd go off to some other part of the hotel to fetch it which we thought was excellent service for a hotel of this grade. We preferred getting our drinks from the VIP bar as they have the branded spirits – and thus access is limited to guests paying the ‘Grand’ room prices. Housekeeping was immaculate and they were happy to oblige if we wanted an extra water bottle on occasion.

We never encountered any timeshare sales types.

We generally stayed by the quiet pools. The grounds at the Oasis are large enough that they can accommodate the party crowd on one side and the quiet/family visitors on the other.

The grounds are kept immaculate and there wasn’t any problem finding some shade under the palm trees when required, although you’ll need to reserve your spot before breakfast if you want a choice (which I think is fairly normal at this price point).

Our package was “all inclusive” with additional charges of $5.50 per day for the safe in the room and $6-$10 per day for internet access – that was understood from the beginning and factored into our purchasing decision. There were optional up-charges for some menu items and for drinkable wine – which we didn’t bother with. There's no free Wi-Fi area. The purchased Wi-Fi log-in is keyed to the MAC address of the subscribing device so you can't easily share one payment between several devices. The internet service worked OK for us with only occasional slowdowns and drop outs. I’m not sure that you’d get business grade VoIP performance, despite what the service provider claims. We also take a stack of $1 bills as we like to offer occasional tips - but this is certainly not required.

The Oasis tries hard to create a resort atmosphere for example with some very elaborate shows in the Pyramid at 7.30pm each night, plus a number of other short shows in or outside the various restaurants during the evening. This is in contrast to some hotels where the nightly show is just one of the reception staff performing bad karaoke to a worn-out copy of Thriller. Do check out the show where risk-averse contortionists are winched into the rafters. There's also a troop of kids who roam around the facility 'amusing' the long-suffering guests with their antics. The locals seemed to enjoy this diversion, so maybe it's something that gets lost in translation? We really enjoyed seeing Alejandra Milan sing in the VIP bar area on a couple of evenings – she’s got a fantastic voice and seems to tailor the set to the mood of the audience. Check the entertainment listing sheet for the nights that she performs (9pm on Sun and Wed at the moment) – highly recommended, make a point of seeing her.

On the food front, the breakfast in the Market Place was one of the best that we've seen on the strip, even when compared to much more expensive hotels - and a sound something-for-everyone choice if you want a quicker lunch than the table service places. The Brazilian steak restaurant did a nice job and the wait staff were happy to chase down a particular cut/cuisson of meat, which is handy as the Mexican default for everything seems to be very well done. The top sirloin would I suggest is the piece de resistance of the establishment.

Generally the food was very good by the standards of a budget all-inclusive restaurant in Mexico. By US hotel standards that’s nothing spectacular (just to manage expectations if you haven't visited before) – but there’s plenty of choice.

On the negative side, my biggest complaint is that the hotel now requires reservations for dinner at several of the a la carte restaurants on the premises. These are not for gourmet/demonstration meals, but for regular, average-quality hotel meals. This means that to dine when/where you want you need to get up at 6.30am and join the queue of people waiting for the reservation desk to open (of course only one person works that station, while the other person in the office stands idly by). Also you have to book a day and a half in advance so if you’re only there for a couple of nights then you’re SOL.

These exact same restaurants operate just fine at lunchtime on a first come, first served basis and no one seemed to have a problem with that. What’s worse is that the restaurants run at under half occupancy in the evening - versus close to full capacity at lunchtime. Why not operate dinner the same as lunch? If they’re short on headcount then there’s 15 kids on the payroll riding around on a golf cart all day goofing around – is that seriously the best allocation of personnel when you’re not even delivering on the basics?

The introduction of this time-consuming, irritating and pointless reservations system bothered me to the extent that I won't return while it's in effect. Wasting an hour at dawn each day isn't how I want to spend my vacation time. Of course YMMV - if you prefer a buffet style dinner then there's no reason why this aspect should put you off booking.

There didn’t seem to be any mid or senior management walking the patch so it’s unfortunate that the only channel of guest communication in response to this retrograde initiative seems to be via Trip Advisor reviews. It’s a shame as this place was flawless when we stayed last spring. I don’t know if there’s been a change of management or if they just fell asleep at the wheel. I’m sure that if they spent time seeing the product from the guest’s perspective (and not via endless reports taken on clip boards and delivered to their office in the ivory tower) then they’d realize that a few things need fixing – i.e.

• A 15+ people at 7am waiting in a restaurant reservations line (moving at glacial speed) having already paid a premium for 'Grand' tier meal service

• Chaos with the pool towels – no one seems to go around collecting the used towels, meaning that they regularly run out of supplies and that people can reserve spaces both on the beach and by the pool for the entire day. The morning that I tried to reserve a bed, there were still yesterday’s towels scattered all over the beach at 7am so the loungers/beds just became a complete free-for-all fight. (Maybe things were different on other days - I gave up after that one morning). I have no problem with towel cards in a budget hotel, if that means that I can get a bed/lounger/clean towel when I need.

• Very slow service at the Asian restaurant – both our lunch visits took 55 minutes from seating to food service

• No chicken available in the Asian restaurant two days running – when the other restaurants seem to have plenty of supplies. This just screams lack of management attention to detail to me.

• Inadequate pool-side loungers (compounded by lack of towel management) – with people having to lie on the concrete instead

Again I would stress that absolutely none of this is the fault of the staff – they all worked very hard and did whatever they could to paper over the cracks. This is just poor management.

In conclusion the negatives are I believe are fixable and wouldn’t have arisen if the management were in touch with what the guests were experiencing. Whoever is in charge needs to get their executives out of their offices and onto the shop floor. You shouldn’t be learning about this stuff on Trip Advisor.

In fairness, I would definitely consider continuing to come back to the Oasis as it’s still fundamentally a great product, provided that future reviews indicate that management has fixed the restaurant reservation issue as that's the deal-breaker for me.

Room Tip: We've had good luck in the Pyramid - but remember that there's a show each night in the atri...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (622)
  • Polish first
North Bay, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We stayed at the Grand Oasis Cancun in the past couple of weeks. The Resort is extremely clean with a very strong security presence. It is a beautiful location. The rooms are definitely not what they show in photographs. They do say that each room has a King size or two Queens, no, the rooms that all 3 couples had were 2 double beds, there were no whirpooltubs in any of our rooms. In the 7 days that we were there our room was cleaned 4 times. We constantly had to ask for towels and water for our mini bar. The issue with the service on rooms was our only complaint. The restaurants were amazing with a huge selection. I would stay there again but be very insistent on the service provided to the rooms.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Palmar building (one of the side buildings). There was no noise issue. Things qui...
Mount Laurel, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

I am a mid 30's white middle class American. I went here with to other couples & was disappointed with this resort. Here is what you should expect at this resort

* if you choose a pyramid room, do not expect to be placed in the pyramid in the center of the resort. MANY PEOPLE, including the 2 couples we were with were all put in an outside building. I heard the rooms were comparable, but we were paying extra for nothing

* my fiance swears that someone came into our room in the evening 1 nt b/c we had the do not disturb sign on the door. When we came back it was on the other side. Nothing stolen, but do you really want to be scared of this while on vacation?

* 1/2 the resort is occupied by young 20's types. They take over 1/2 the resort during the day, and its a madhouse, club scene at night... I'm not against having fun, but dont want to deal with people that can't control themselves when drunk. We saw people stumbling around, and were also almost induced into a fight by some kid that tried to hit on my friend's wife (we are not the instigating type)

* towels are scarce
* chairs at the pool area AND on the beach were scarce

* bartenders not nearly as friendly as other resorts I've been to

POSITIVES:
* genl manager Francisco was very kind. Listened to our problems & tried to accomodate

* ocean was really great - there are conk shells all over

Room Tip: Dont bother getting a pyramid room. When you check in they put you in whatever is available, regardl...
Boise, Idaho
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

The Oasais is a good place and for the price. The thing about it is they try and get as many people to join them on Interval vacations and the way they do this is show you the best room and make you feel like you are their best VIP. Well let me tell you it is all about getting your money. Be careful of what and how they do it. Anybody going around with braclets can pretty much get VIP treatment and having a black band really means nothing but a few restaurants others can't get into without a reservation. Big deal !! The gym is really nothing to feel proud about and could use another tennis court for as big as the place is. The workers there are very nice though and they do work hard. One thing though. If you do have a problem they will try and pass it off to the employees to take care of it. As I had asked to speak to a manager It took over two hours to get anything resolved. Still no manager would come out to talk. Just watch your bill at the end of the stay, better yet do a pre check out and look at your bill to make sure you are not charged for things that you didn't use or do. That way it can be taken care of before you leave the place and not have them say there is nothing they can do at the moment because it is late or to early in the morning to do anything before your plane leaves. Just some suggestions for you. By the way there if free WIFI not no internet access there. If you use the internet there they will charge you by the hour like every place else. Even if you are a VIP........ If you are looking to relax then I would suggest an all adults hotel with no kids around.

Room Tip: The more quiet rooms are in the Grand Oasis and if you get a top floor in the outer rooms than the...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Bayonne, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

I was at Grand Oasis Cancun 3 times. Every time I loved it. Choice of restaurants are unbelievable. Food choice is great. People are very friendly. The shows in the fantastic lobby is great. They have even a little casino. I took my grand daughter for her 18th birthday and she loved it. Just make sure that you get exactly "Grand Oasis Cancun". This guarantees access to everything. Next door there is Grand Oasis which is cheaper but people cannot get to all the restaurants and bars,
The only bad experience I had was check-in. It took a very long time, but they are nice enough to let you use all facilities while you are checked in a little early and your room is not ready.
I will go there again. This place is good for any age. You do not have to live this resort. It so huge
and nice.

Room Tip: Every time I stayed in diffrent room and all of them are the same, just different views.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
La Plata, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

We were at the Grand Oasis last week. Two couples in our mid 50's. Our room was clean (most important thing). We had a wonderful time. Yes there were lots of young college kids and at times were loud, but very well behaved. We had no problems with them at all. If you want all old people, go on a cruise (and I love cruising). Bar service was great, drinks had plenty of alcohol. Beautiful grounds, pool. Food was cruise ship quality, we never went hungry. Yes occasionally there were lines at restaurants, but we waited no more that 15 minutes. OK,,,,now the little things, Our bed was short sheeted (no bottom sheet at the end of the mattress). Two days we did not get towels for the shower (we just wound up keeping the beach towels). Not enough chairs for the pool or beach. Frig in room did not get cold. Our rooms were not ready until 4pm. Just make sure you have the Grand (black band) and you will be just fine. Relax and have fun, don't let the little things ruin your vacation.

Room Tip: Get ocean front/view
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

M wife and I were supposed to go on a diving trip to the Caribbean but due to poor weather we were diverted to Cancun and after 2 days in the airport decided to stay in Cancun. We didn't have many choices available so we went with the Oasis based on price and decent reviews.

We were luckily on the grand side of the resort where it was mostly non-Americans and much quieter than the other side. The other end had more of a spring break vibe to it. Either way the entire resort is quite large and you can use the other Oasis resorts in the area making it larger.

They have one very large resort style pool with wet bars scattered throughout. Many restaurants with some being better than others. Our favorite ended up being the Marketplace which was good with fresh fruits, vegetables and a flat top grill with cook to order food. A surprising runner up was the sushi restaurant which had decent sushi and fish.

There's many other restaurants and bars but we were there for more of a quiet beach and dive trip. The Oasis has a great beach with our end being less crowded. The bar near the beach (Happy Chicken) was a short walk and although there weren't a lot of chairs, the sand was clean and we had plenty of room to layout.

Drinks were nothing special (as with many lower priced all-inclusives) but we did find a few GREAT bar tenders (names are slipping my mind right now...). We gave them a few dollars as they work extremely hard there and they really appreciate it.

All in all I probably wouldn't go back but that's in part because I probably won't go back to Cancun (we're not hard-core partiers on vacation). This is a good choice for someone on a budget or for a place to get your drink and tan on while still being close enough to main party areas in Cancun.

Room Tip: If you can, request an Oceanside room in building Playa 1 or 2. We didn't have a room there but...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Oasis Cancun? Share your experiences!