“Better than expected” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ocean Spa Hotel

You added Ocean Spa Hotel to your Saves list
Ocean Spa Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Blvd Kukulcan Km 3.5 | Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Ranked #71 of 179 Hotels in Cancun
Dallas, Texas
“Better than expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2011

I read tons of horrible reviews about Ocean Spa, so I was expecting the worst. It was actually a pretty good place to stay! I found a secret way to avoid getting dragged into the timeshare BS, so I didn't get bugged 1 single time about it. Our room wasn't bad and we had a patio where we could walk right out to the pool, etc. The food was pretty lackluster, but it gets you by until you can eat soemwhere else. The restaurants there serve better food than the daily buffet does. I loved the staff there, who were very friendly, especially the servers and bartenders. The beach there does kinda suck, but the sister resort Royal has an amazing beach and that is where you should spend your days at. I would actually stay here again. It's not super fancy, but it won't really disappoint either. Also, if you walk on the beach 100 yards to the left, you will hit a resort full of nudists on the beach. And not the good kind of nudists, The old, saggy, European kind. I wouldn't roam to far from Ocean Spa. Ha

Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

The service was more than I would ask for. We had an amazing time. They catered to our every demand without hesitation. The only thing was that the food could be better. Other than that we had an amazing time. I would go back.

• Stayed November 2011
Salt Lake City, Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

We recently stayed at the Ocean Spa in Cancun. It is a timeshare property so expect to attend a sales presentation. This hotel is older and could use some renovations, but it was clean & quiet. First let me say that the employees are all hard working & pleasant. The salesmen are pushy & are trained not to take No for an answer. My #1 advice to you is: DO NOT give the salesman you ID's at the start of the presentation. I do not know if this is common practice of all the salesmen, but ours took our ID's and stated it was policy to make copies of them so that your information stays in a file for future reference (to keep the same people from coming over & over again & saying "no" while getting the free gifts~which made sense). Well, it turns out that they ended up holding onto our ID's until we ultimately signed up for their timeshare & was ready to leave. We asked for our ID's a couple of times and told them that we really could not afford to buy their timeshare, but they never did bring our IDs back to us. I felt like we were being forced to give in. We were not about to get up and walk out without our IDs, we were in a foreign country for crying out loud! As I sat there in tears, we were trying to figure out what to do. It can be a very enjoyable vacation, just keep your guard up & be careful.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

We got this trip cheap, but it was because it was subsidized by a timeshare presentation. Regardless, one shouldn't have to live in filth as a result. So, judge accordingly. If this is your first resort, don't expect others to be like this one. This is definitely bottom of the barrel. We booked from a phone call we received and thought how bad could it be and gave it a shot. Won't be doing that again.... Long story short, you can get much better accommodations elsewhere for the same amount of money, so look elsewhere.

We were first put in the not so sweet Leguna Suites. We left there and moved to Ocean Spa due to mold and the smell of mold which was confirmed by the concierge (this was the third room they showed us).

This hotel they moved us to (Ocean Spa) is in major need of a facelift (as is Legina Suites). Mold is painted over (but there is A LOT of mold that is very visible. The bathroom ceiling if all combined into one area would make a solid black square foot of mold), drains are clogged, blankets are stained and have burn marks(smokers perhaps?). Rooms have a funny odor. Most things "appear" to be clean but when I see mold all over the ceiling and mold under paint elsewhere I think that tells the real story - it was easier to paint then disinfect and keep things healthy.

Food was fair. Not awful, but not awesome either. Service was fine in the restaurants with no complaints.

The lobby looks great but that's the end of anything looking good. The beach is also quite poor in size and bad in cleanliness. Location is average depending on what you want. It's closer to downtown, but further from the heart of the tourist attractions.

Overall, stay away. I don't know any reason why someone would choose on their own (without a wicked deal $$$$) to stay here. I believe any positive reviews must be from people who are having their first experience and have mostly stayed in old and run down hotels in the past.

Worst experience of all time? No. Would I ever come back to this "resort"? Not a chance (unless they fully updated and cleaned/replaced almost everything.

• Stayed November 2011
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2011

We stayed at the Ocean Spa Hotel at Cancun for 6 nigths stay, wasn't as good as we expected. There were mosquitoes and cockcroach in our room. The beach is muddy and there's no elevator to go up your room, you have to walk up the stairs. The water pressure was so low that one time we had a problem taking the shower.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Winnipeg, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

We travel a lot! Usually a min. of 3 family trips/year. NEVER have I been asked to sign a blank credit card receipt for possible damages! We are a family of 4 with a 10 & 12 year old. I get it if we were young and party people during Spring Break...but give me a break! I asked if we could give a cash deposit? Si! They would not accept Canadian $? What is the difference if it is just a deposit? We had to be adamant & explain that in our country asking for a signature on a blank receipt is illegal. They did not like this, but I eventually signed it with a statement of "not to exceed" certain amount. We did get a room upgrade however!
The hotel was NICE, that's all. Nothing less, nothing more. Our first day I got a rash from swimming in the ocean immediately off the hotel...in the Marina. Nowhere does it state that this hotel is actually on beachfront of a Marina that is busy & smells of gas/diesel constantly. Shuttle buses are the only thing that made this week bearable! Get up in the a.m. and get out until you're ready to drop! NOTE: You cannot count on getting a bag lunch that is actually worthwhile! My children had breakfast at the hotel before we left for Chichen'Itza. Day starts at 8am & finishes around 7pm. We did not stop to eat until 3:30pm. Our bag lunch had a guava, 1 slice balogna-like meat & margarine and a cookie - That's 7.5 hours without real sustenance. Tourists from the other hotels; Laguna Suites & Sunset Royal had better and best bagged lunches. This hotel does not have much to offer, unless you've NEVER been anywhere else.
The person that made our trip for us was the Super Star Concierge - Maureen! I can't thank her enough for setting up a trip for our family to go to Holbox & swim with the Whale Sharks. The arrangements were wonderful! IT WAS AN EXPERIENCE OF A LIFETIME, private transportation, and a better rate than offered anywhere else! Thanks Maureen!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Camrose, Alberta, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

We were unable to enter the country, as my passport had a slight wrinkle in it. When I phoned to let them know, they told me they couldn't cancel my reservations. Not only did I lose all the money for the reservation and all inclusive package, they also charge me an additional full night for a 'no show'!! They still haven't called me back to further discuss my concerns, after they told me they would, days ago.

Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Ocean Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!