“Fabulous” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Solymar Beach & Resort

You added Solymar Beach & Resort to your Saves list
Solymar Beach & Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   Blvd. Kukulkan Km. 18.7 | Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Ranked #143 of 178 Hotels in Cancun
BC
“Fabulous”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2010

Just returned from a 3 week vaction to Cancun where we rented a condo at the SOLYMAR from wonderful people Michelle & Peter.It was our first time there and we could not have been more happy with our ammenities.Condo was ocean view absolutely stunning,clean and had everything we needed for our stay.If you are looking for a 5 star resort and want the atmospher of wall to wall people poolside,noise and drunken tourists then the SOLYMAR is not for you.We had our 15 & 19 yr olds with us for the first 7 days and they the loved their first time to Cancun.The pool and beach at our doorstep.We rented a car for a week and got to know Cancun very well.Travelled an hours drive to Playa Del Carmen during the day stayed long enough not to enjoy it.The beach was wall to wall people and no room to stroll the water .Took in the sights of 5th ave but as we found out you need to experience 5th ave in the evening so we ventured back a few days later with friends for dinner and shopping.A much better appreciation at night of Playa.There was nothing better than being back in Cancun at the solymar where new found friends awaited and the endless beach.A must is XEL HA for the best day trip full of snorkelling and sureal surroundings. Michelle & Peter were the best as they were always handy if you ever needed anything from questions to directions.Booking through Michelle & Peter is the only way to go if you want a worry free and absoultly relaxing holiday.Cancun is everything one could imagine from endless sun,snorkeling,day trips,shopping,dining,the list is endless.Our new home away from home.
Mike & Sherri Braun
Nanaimo.British Columbia

Stayed January 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Polish first
Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2010

I have been to Solymar many times. It's a great place to relax. Great ocean views, nice employees. Rooms are normal, nothing fancy. They have rooms with kitchens so you can go down to the Walmart, buy your own water, food, drinks, etc. It saves a ton of money. There is a bus stop right outside the hotel so you can easily and cheaply go to the shops and other attractions.

The food at Solymar is ok, nothing amazing. There is a nice swim-up bar and a little bar/restaurant right on the beach. I enjoyed going to all the restaurants on the strip, so I didn't eat at Solymar often.

Anyone who gave this hotel bad reviews got what they paid for. If they would have done a little research, they would have known what to expect. It's not a huge resort with a ton of amenities. You can't expect to pay $100 a night, have an ocean view and all inclusive and get the Ritz. If you want a 5* experience, pay for it. I went with two other girls one time. One was not too happay about the trip/hotel and spent most of the time in the room with air conditioning. The other loved it and came back another time. It's impossible to make everyone happy and I guess there's always a negative nancy. I also stayed at the JW Marriott last year in Cancun and I can't belive people had the nerve to write a bad review on that one. Some people are impossible to please.

If you want a hotel in a great area, with great views and cheap price, this place is for you. If you want a giant resort with a spa, fitness center, etc, then save up your money and go to the JW or Le Blanc. :)

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
MichCancun, Michelle owner and manager of 18 Solymar condos and villas at Solymar Beach & Resort, responded to this review, February 24, 2010
Thank you for your very fair and balanced review of the hotel that is managed by one owner here in Solymar.

Important fact to realize is that each owner decorates,remodels, manages their room as they wish.

Every owner runs and remodels their condo as they wish which means rooms side by side could be completely different.

Tripadvisor provides you with the facts to make your choice.

We are glad someone finally said it!!! It is overwelming at times the high expectations that come with the economic price.

Ottawa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2010

First of all I'd like to point out the people who rent condos from private owners should not be posting thier reviews here as it ups the standing of this hotel and gives a bad bad hotel and much better name the it should have.

I travel with my family, we are a family of five with children ranging from 8 months to 16 years. We booked a Wild Card 3* for Cancun Mexico with GoTravelSouth. When we arrived in Cancun we were told by the GoTravelSouth rep that we would be staying at the Solymar. This hotel is rated a 3* by thier site. However, when we booked the trip, the page that had description of the wild card 3* for Cancun said that we would be guaranteed a 3 1/2 star or better. I have email GoTravelSouth with my complaint and included this list below of this horrible hotel. But thats a whole different review.

This hotel, the Solymar, is a poor excuse for a resort in Cancun, or anywhere for that matter. We had several issues, in which I am listing

1. Our room was filthy dirty. It even had black hair all around track for the shower door. All of my family, including myself are blond.

2. The shower was almost unusable. It was so strong it would actually hurt our skin. The shower head was green, it was so dirty.

3. The resort ran out of beer twice while we were there. We had to go into a shopping area of Cancun twice to buy beer as my husband and I are beer drinkers only. For an all inclusive resort this is not acceptable at all.

4. We were told not to drink the water, however there was no water provided in our room. I had to purchase bottled water in the store on site every day, as I have a 8 month old baby and I needed to be able to make his milk. When I left I had bought all but three bottles from the store. Imagine if they had ran out and I had not been able to make milk for my baby.

5. There was no refrigerator in our room. This became difficult with baby bottles of milk, and baby food.

6. This resort seemed to run out of items before it would be replaced. Such as tea bags and orange juice. And as said above, beer.

7. There was no day time snack bar as the web site says. There was a small bar by the beach, some days there would be food and others there would be none. It was hit or miss. And when it was, the food was just placed there in broken food trays. My husband and I would have to get our own table and chairs from a stack agaisn't the wall in order for our family to sit and eat.

8. The only buffet was filthy as well. I didn't want to even eat there, but I had no choice, it was the only place to go. The place mates were very dirty, as was the high chairs for my baby. I watched the waitress clean the table after someone had left and she just wiped the middle of the table, and replaced the utensils.

9. In our room, none of the drains in any of the sinks worked. There as a shell of a kitchen, with no working plugs for the two sinks, and the drain in bathroom sink didn't work either. I was forced to sponge bath my baby all week.

10. Our room was full of ants. My kids even got some questionable bites at night.

11. To top all of this off, the service was horrible. We actually stopped tipping after the second day as it didn't seem to matter. Most of the staff have very little english, so they seemed to not even care about providing good service.

12. Every other day we had to call the front desk for toilet paper as it was never replaced by the maid (whom was the only person that we continued to tip everyday). And we were never left with enough towels. With 4 people, and a baby in a room, she left 2 towels every day. And twice when we called for more, no one showed up with any. So we were forced to share towels.

In general, this hotel is quite run down, with electrical door cover sin rust hanging of the walls in the hallways, plaster falling down, cracks in the pool, pool chairs cracked.... I could go on and on.

This is not a case if being picky and such, as we have stayed in other resorts in Cancun and the Riveria Mayan and I have never seen anything like this. Bad food, bad rooms, bad service...

Unless you are renting a private condo and eating elsewhere - stay away for this hotel!!!

Beautiful beach though... :)

Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
MichCancun, Owner of Solymar properties at Solymar Beach & Resort, responded to this review, February 22, 2010
Just a note to clarify that Solymar Resort is 100% made up of Solymar owners who own their condos individually.

All rooms are entirely different.

Owners decorate and manage their rooms as they wish. Some very well, some terribly.

Reading tripadvisor comments can help you make a decision on who to rent from that will either have you make this your vacation home year after year or have you running .

Reading the reviews, it is simple to determine who is giving the great service and has the happy guests. This site exists so that you find that out before you book.

We are sorry to hear that you found out too late.
Vineland, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2010

In the 25 years coming to Cancun, we have finally found our favorite residential destination. Tucked away and out of the hustle and bustle of the heart of the hotel zone, the Solymar Condo units lie on the beach just 20 minutes from the airport. We have been staying here at this location for our 4th year and are so happy to rent from the owner, Lynette ([--]).Her prices are great,ocean view units are updated and include kitchen with refrig., stove, tiled shower, and bright, clean newly renovated room(s). With the newly enlarged beach, it is such a pleasant and friendly atmosphere. Many guests are owners and repeat renters who have formed friendly relationships over the years. There is a bar and restaurant, which we do not use, but it is available and the all-inclusive is inexpensive, if desired.
We prefer to sample the menus of the many wonderful restaurants available in Cancun
both in the downtown area and hotel zone. Travel by bus is inexpensive for 7.5 pesos
per person...about 55 cents US. This is a most pleasant place to spend your winter and get out of the cold weather for less than a few weeks at the Jersey shore. We recommend trying the Solymar for a vacation if you want to cook in/and or go out and try the local cusine and seafood. Massages are available on the beach for $40 an hour and are wonderful. Unless you prefer spending alot of money, you can't beat the Solymar for price and a view of one of the most beautiful beaches in the world!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Manitoba
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2010

Airfare to Cancun - $800; New bathing suit - $60; Beer for the beach - $100; a stay at the Solymar with Michelle and Peter Hermick - priceless!

Our stay this year at the Solymar Resort through onsite hosts Michelle & Peter Hermick was a wonderful experience. Cancun beach is now fully restored to its pre-hurricane beauty and the Solymar complex is the ideal location to enjoy this.

Michelle & Peter are amazing hosts that meet all expectations. They ensured our room was ready for us when we arrived, and escorted us personally to our room (even carried our luggage). The room had everything we needed -- an ocean view, fully stocked kitchen including microwave, toaster, coffee maker and blender, comfty bed, A/C that works no problem, fresh towels and a secure safe in the closet. If we had any questions or problems (which we didn't!!!), they were always easy to find to help us out and promptly solve any issues.

The Cancun beach restoration you may have heard about is done, and the Solymar complex was busy putting up the palapas when we were there to provide shade when enjoying the new beach. There were plenty of chairs and loungers at the pool and on the sand, so that was never an issue. Friendly staff kept the beach clean of debris every day, and we saw many workers fixing up small repairs to the complex (salt water is relentless). The pool area is spotless ... just watch out for the odd iguana walking through.

Easy access to restaurants and shopping by simply jumping on a bus, there is a stop right in front of the Solymar. If you don't know where to find a delish meal or good shopping deals, just ask Michelle and Peter! They live there year-round so they know the popular spots.

Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2010

standard of a 3 star hotel, the rooms were ok, but the hotel resort was very poor.

Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
chicago, il
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2010

First and foremost I have to say that renting from Nancy Cousins was the best experience I have ever had with VRBO. Nancy is an incredible hostess. She answered all our questions quickly on email and followed up with us constantly during our stay to make sure we had everything we needed. The unit we rented was similar to what we call a studio apartment. It was clean, well decorated, high ceilings, fully equipped kitchen and had a great balcony overlooking the pool and the ocean. Her onsite management staff was always available when we had questions and very nice. The price was so reasonable and we liked the far south more remote location on the Hotel Zone. Bus is so easy to use. Now for my candid assessment of the Solymar Beach and Resort. If you are used to American hotel chains as I am this property is quite a bit different. Quite honestly the property needs some clean up and updating. Public hallways and stairwells need plastering and painting and some of the light fixtures needed repair. They have done a fantastic job in cleaning up the beach after the hurricane but the pool and beach chairs available are cracked and broken. No umbrellas in sight for getting out of the sun either. We had heard many not so favorable things about the food so I cannot comment on that. All in all we thoroughly enjoyed Nancys apartment and felt we absolutely got our moneys worth. I would recommend Nancys apartment but cannot recommend the resort.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
MichCancun, Owner on site and manager for other owners at Solymar Beach & Resort, responded to this review, February 9, 2010
It was our true pleasure to attend to this gentleman and we are going to treat him to an even nicer suite on his promised return.
It is true, Solymar has unbeatable prices for what you are provided,,and it is wise to use the well set up condo for an extended stay, use the kitchens for a simple breakfast or lunch and then have one fabulous meal a day out...we have so many places we can recommend that will make for a very memorable experience. Having worked for years in five diamond hotels we like to think we are providing you with the five diamond service we were trained for, here in an economic but remodeled clean resort

Been to Solymar Beach & Resort? Share your experiences!