“Suites of Solymar” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Solymar Beach & Resort

You added Solymar Beach & Resort to your Saves list
Solymar Beach & Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   Blvd. Kukulkan Km. 18.7 | Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Ranked #141 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
newport, oregon
“Suites of Solymar”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2006

We rented a superior condo through Michelle-Suites of Solymar. You can contact Michelle at E-mail [-]. We were looking for just a few days to relax after our active vacation in Playa del Carmen. This place was perfect. The ocean waves on their beach were great and the pool was refreshing. We didn't use the All Inclusive or any of the amenities offered by the hotel but instead ate out, prepared our own food in the condo and made our own drinks to take to the pool. Don't look at Solymar for a high activity vacation. It is perfect for those that just want to relax. I recommend renting from Michelle and not the hotel. Solymar has a laid back atmosphere that is unique on the 22 mile strip of resorts and for the value, you can't beat it. The smaller condo complex is just a short hop to the Cancun airport. We left at 10:30 AM with our rental car and made a 12:30 flight with no problem. To unwind for a few days and then make the trip to the airport painless, I would recommend Solymar Condos.

• Stayed June 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Polish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2006

I stayed in Solymar this June for 14 nights , we booked via ebay
because we
were looking for a condominium and not a hotel - we know food costs
alot in
Cancun and so do all inclusives so we wanted a big kitchen suite,
sitting
room, dining room etc...we love to cook lobster and go out to Puerto
Juarez
to get it..its worth the trip! We had the most perfect room, exactly
the photos that Michelle send us - two rooms, a penthouse, with a BBQ
out
back...we did a lot of grilling and enjoyed wonderful sunsets. In the
night
Michelle set us up with tickets to Senor Frogs and we had an awesome
time.
Crawling home at 4am to a cozy air condtioned room. Michelle told us
that
the hotel received a whole lot of money for insurnace, so of course it
is
taking time to rebuild everything after the strongest hurricane to
crash in
the caribbean in world history. We got a pretty good deal because of
it,
where else can you stay caribbean beach front for eighty five dollars a
night including taxes? So these other reviews have to think of that for
sure. We will be back to Solymar in a few months. We love the caribbean
and
the view from the room, La Isla mall is great, wonderful restaurants
that
are not expensive are your nightly entertainment. You just have to ask
a few
questions and learn where to go, the locals are willing to help

1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2006

The following letter writtien to the owner tells the story.

To: Jean Succar, Owner
Solymar Beach Resort
Cancun, Mexico

Mr. Succar:

I am writing to express my grave disappointment in the accommodations and the apathetic customer service my family and I received at your establishment last week. My wife and I went to Cancun for vacation along with our two and six month-old children. We were in the condominium section in room 2808, the very top floor. Although you do not own the condominiums, our issues are directly related to your hotel. We assumed that the Solymar would have working elevators like every other modern hotel. However, the elevators were turned off the entire week we were there.

Imagine being on vacation at a supposed four-star establishment and having to carry two strollers, changing bag, a six-month-old child, and daily purchases 70 steps (I counted them) up to the 5th floor of a hotel while dragging a two-year-old. We expressed our concerns to Carolyn, who in turn shared them with the hotel’s management and the condominium association’s administrators. To our disgust, we were informed that although the elevators were in working condition, they were purposely turned off, forcing my family to walk to the top floor with strollers, kids and baggage in tow, because management was afraid the workers who were repairing the Solymar would use the elevators. Why your management could not have shown some initiative to have a staff member (such a the bellman) operate the elevators, thereby ensuring that only guests used them, is beyond me.

We spoke to your staff at the front desk with absolutely zero effort on their part to resolve the issue. We also spoke with Enrique, one of the condominium administrators, in the presence of Sandra Arriaga and Lynnette Anderson with absolutely zero success or follow-up on either of their parts. During our conversation, I noted that had this been a Hilton my service issues would have been quickly resolved (I only compared the Solymar to a Hilton since you are suppose to be a four star resort). To this Enrique responded with a smirk, “but this is not the Hilton”, in order to clearly communicate that the Solymar is the Motel 6 of resorts, and that the proactive customer service and issues resolution that one would expect at a Hilton were unrealistic expectations at the Solymar.

In speaking with him and others at your resort (including your front desk staff), it was EXTREMELY difficult to get issues escalated to management or to even get the contact information for the people to whom they report. For example, Enrique said he does not report to anyone and that he signs his own checks and your front desk staff would not put me in touch with a supervisor or the hotel manager. It would not surprise me is there are many systemic customer service issues in your establishment that are swept under the rug by your staff without your knowledge. I was only able to get your contact information by going through other channels.

Other issues include ants in the room and having to stay a facility that is undergoing major internal construction, with exposed ceiling, dark hallways and water in the hall. However these issues seem to pale in comparison after a heart-pumping climb to the top floor. Instead of a relaxing experience, we felt like we were in vacation hell.

In view of the treatment we received at the Solymar, it is clear that the four gold colored stars on the Solymar business cards is nothing more than a cheap marketing ploy, not even worth the paper on which they are printed. If the level of attention and follow-up given by your staff and the condominium administrators is indicative of managements service expectations, then I would be shocked if I received a response to this letter.

Sincerely disgusted and fatigued,

1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2006

While visiting the Solymar Hotel in Cancun on June 15th, 2006 my wife and I had over $300 stolen from us within the first hour and a half of our stay. We had just arrived, and the room that we were taken to was not the best (especially not like the photos), but it was no major concern because we were on vacation, and none the less, in Mexico. The door had the room number written in pen and there was no dead bolt. There was no safe in the room. I wasn't overly concerned because every piece of luggage that we carried had a lock on it. We put our luggage down and headed off to the pool. We were only gone for maybe an hour or so at the most, and when we returned, I noticed a kink in the zipper on my carry on bag (which had our money in it). Once I opened the bag and inspected, I found $100 in twentys missing from my wallet and over $200 missing from an envelope. All of the ones and fives were left. A little over $100 for the entire trip. The locks were still in place, but the zipper had been ripped open and the person that did it tried to put it back together. My wife's suitcase had a kink as well, but no money was kept in her bag, and there was nothing else missing. We filed an incident report with the manager, but he honestly showed very little concern and made us feel as if no one in the hotel had access to the rooms and that we must have misplaced the money. The carry on bag that held the money did not leave my side until we went down to the pool. The rest of the staff and remainder of the trip wasn't as bad...but an incident like this when you first arrive will definitely put a "damper" on the trip. The food, as well as the drinks, at the hotel wasn't great...I personally thought it was because we were in a different country, but we used the $100 the thief left us to eat outside of our all inclusive hotel once, and the food away from the "resort" was much better... If you have already booked a trip with the Solymar, good luck. If you haven't but are thinking about it...don't.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2006

The hotel received some major hurricane damage and was in the middle of remodeling and fixing things up. I think it would of been in the best interest of the hotel to close down for a week or two and get most of the electrical, pumbling, etc done so there weren't doing it while people were staying there. We had to dodge wires and stuff in the hallways all the time.

When we asked for more towels or blankets we weren't given any and if so had to wait until housekeeping could come. Why can't the front desk give out a towel? When we did need a blanket after hours, we were told we couldn't...not great customer service!

Pool area was nice - two pools one for the little tikes...hard to swin when a volleyball game was going on. Swim up bar was not open, you had to get out of the pool to get a drink.

They only had the pool bar open, but on our last day staying there they opened up a bar in the lounge. So now they have 1 1/2 bars open, since the lounge bar only had certain items.

Overall, not a great hotel...I would not recommend staying here!

Simpsonville, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2006

I did not book my latest vacation but my friend who did agreed that this hotel was terrible. The website shows white painted buildings; refers to 2 restaurants and several bars. The resort had Katrina damage but did not reference this in any of their materials. The white paint is gone. The rooms are clean but lacking of many standard amenities. We did not have an alarm clock and could not get a wake up call (they come knock on your door if you request). The only restaurant was a buffet style very casual one that served primarily chicken and rice and was located in the pool area. The food had no taste and they served the same core items every meal of every day. The only bar was the pool bar where they served watered down drinks out of dirty plastic cups.

We were unable to contact housekeeping to get new blankets or towels during the late evening hours nor were the front desk personnel able to help us. We could not make outgoing phone calls from any phone on the property. We walked down to the Hilton where we were able to buy a calling card that could be used there.

Our sink leaked all over the floor. They were doing major electrical to the ceiling immediately outside our room in the hallway. We tracked ceiling debris into our room for an entire day while we walked through this area.

I will say that the travel agents that are stationed in the resort and helpful and polite, but I do not believe they are even employed by the resort. The bartenders at the one bar were also great.

Houston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2006

We traveled as a family of four (kids ages 14 and 5) and met other family there 2 adults over 30 and 2 teens. The staff at Solymar are friendly and courteous. Some speak a little english. My spanglish helped some. When we first arrived we were a little nervous because the resort is still under repair from the hurricane. However our suites, that we booked through our vacation club TAN, were clean and comfortable enough with a beautiful view of the carribean. We felt safe there and nothing was ever stolen. We opted not to do the all-inclusive because we were out and about so much. We did eat the buffet one night and it was decent and so were the drinks from the bar. I recommend the all-inclusive if you are going to stay at the resort even half the time and you like alcoholic beverages. Eating out is EXPENSIVE! There is only one bar up and running by the pool. The beach bar needs to be up and running cause there is more space there. We had to squeeze in to get a drink at the bar by the pool. And it got a little loud with music and the younger crowd on Sat night. You wouldn't have this problem if the beach bar was open. The pool is clean and warm and it's easy to get in a game of water volleyball!!! The pool area is great for sunbathing and we never had any problems getting a lounge or beach chairs but do take your own towels. There is limited umbrellas and shade but this wasn't a problem for us! All in all we really enjoyed our stay and will go back and opt for the all-inclusive! Special thanks to George (security) as he was always doing rounds and made us feel safe and welcome. Give him a good tip he works hard!! Alex was also very helpful. If this resort was fully up and running I think it has good potential to be a 4 star!

FYI, make sure you have small bills cause you have to tip everywhere you go. If you do not do the all-inclusive go to wal-mart by bus R-2 (it picks u up right outside) and stock up on water and food items on your 1st or 2nd day. You may have to ride back by cab if you have lots of bags. The bus is the cheapest route. Go to Xcaret and explore and Isla de las mujeres island and do the deep sea snorkeling (it is beautiful out there!!!). Alex can help you with reservations and get you a good enough deal without having to do an all day tour of another resort (you'll see what I mean). Any further questions feel free to contact me and I will be happy to help if I can.

• Stayed June 2006

Been to Solymar Beach & Resort? Share your experiences!