“Condo #3604 at Solymar” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Solymar Beach & Resort

You added Solymar Beach & Resort to your Saves list
Solymar Beach & Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   Blvd. Kukulkan Km. 18.7 | Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Ranked #141 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Phoenix, AZ
“Condo #3604 at Solymar”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2009

We rented this condo for 5 days from Michelle and Peter Hermick. I had a lot of communication with Michelle prior to our arrival. She always answered my emails very quickly. When we arrived, we went to their condo, and Michelle personally escorted us to #3604. I highly recommend renting from them.

The condo is a spacious studio unit with a kitchenette. The decor is charming and the view is spectacular! There is plenty of closet space and shelves. We always had hot water. The air conditioner worked great. The price was very reasonable, and it was so much better than a hotel room.

At night we would turn off the a/c, open the sliding patio door, and be lulled to sleep by the sound of the waves. Paradise!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Polish first
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2009

I just came back from spending one of the most wonderful vacation weeks of my life at SolyMar in Cancun. We rented Villa # 10 (directly from the owner), a 4 bedroom, 4 1/2 bathrooms, with all the amenities we have at home.
The villa has 4 levels; the master bedroom, the kitchen and the family room have an awesome view of the ocean. In fact, you just go down some steps from your own private terrace and you are at the beach!
The place is decorated with good taste. There is a laundry room and the kitchen has all kinds of appliances and utensils needed to cook the best meals, including condiments, spices and all kinds of pans and dinnerware. There is no dish washer tough, but guess what? Emma - the best housekeeper in the world - comes everyday to clean, from Monday to Saturday. She keeps the place immaculate all the time, no matter what kind of mess you or your kids make, and best of all, she can do your laundry and even cook for you!
One thing that saved my vacation was that the villa has satellite cable, telephone and wireless internet access (for my hubby's mental health he has to watch Fox and Bloomberg). The huge flat screen TV in the family room has a DVD player (we watched all 24 episodes of season 6 at night) and there is a TV with satellite cable in every room. They even have movies and books available!
The ocean was a little rough – they tell me around summer is a lot better – and that made me a little sad because I love to swim in the ocean. However, a good man who visits the place every year for several months gave me the best tip: if you walk to the right about 1 ½ miles, you find a beautiful bay that is like a pool. You can swim and snorkel there. I did it almost everyday and loved every minute of it!
I love to cook and I wanted fresh fish and seafood, not the frozen kind that you get at Walmart, but the real thing, wild caught in those beautiful waters. I discovered that I could get all my groceries at Walmart, good wine in La Europea (in front of Walmart) and then I found a farmers market called “Mercado 23” where there are several fisheries and all kinds of fresh food.
There I met this nice lady, Mrs. Raynen. She is Mexican but speaks some English. She is a massage therapist and came every day to give my husband and myself a 45 minutes relaxation and reflexology massage for only $50 (for both), when the girls at the beach – which are not certified massage therapists - charge at least $40 for each massage. She brought her massage table and smooth music. She set the table in the living room, opened the doors of the terrace and I was in paradise relaxing and listening to the waves.
She also provided me with a great service: I called her twice and asked her to buy some groceries, wine, fish and chicken and she delivered them saving me about 4 hours of shopping! (SolyMar is about 45 minutes from downtown Cancun and taxis are expensive). She even gave me her telephone number so I could ask her to do my shopping previously to my arrival, so when I get there I only have to put on my bathing suit and jump to the water.
The last wonderful thing that happened to me was that I have several friends who live in Cancun and Playa del Carmen. I wanted to see them but did not want the hassle of organizing a party or paying gazillion dollars at a restaurant. Well, I found out that Mrs. Reynen also provides catering. So I served a buffet with Mexican food, cochinita pibil (from Yucatan), chicken with mole, rice “a la mexicana”, fried shrimp, refried beans, guacamole and a salad. Everyone loved the food, the kids were playing everywhere happily and we had a wonderful time. Thanks to Emma and Mrs. Reynen my brunch was a great success!
I know this is getting too long, but I fell in love with the place and I will be back as soon as possible. So, if you are looking for a beach-home type experience, with quiet nights and sleeping to the sound of the waves, I recommend you this place.
Please feel free to contact me if I can be of help.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Toronto, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2009

My husband and I spent the month of Feb in Cancun at the Solymar Hotel. We have been coming to Cancun for over 20 years almost every year. We booked through Michelle & Peter Hermick. We bypassed the front desk for check in and Michelle greeted us in our room. Any problem large or small was taken care of immediately.The hotel, grounds and our room were very clean, which is more than I can say for when we stayed next door at Las Brisas-it was a disaster and cost us more money. Considering we were there for a full month, we did not have 1 night where we had any noise or disturbances that kept us awake. We had a great view of the ocean, even while we ate.in the kitchen area.

The only negatives were the lack of seating by the pool & people arguing around us about that. I was told that there are chairs on order for next month. Also, some of the owners whose kitchens are old, may want to consider updating them to encourage people not only to book with them, but to return to their specific unit.

Unfortunately, people want to pay for a 2 star hotel and have all of the ammenities of a 5 star hotel. Believe me, for the money, especially for long-term stays, this hotel is a bargain..

Otherwise, a wonderful vacation & we hope to be back at the Solymar next year for 6 weeks hopefully.!!!!!!

Alfred & Joyce

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Jinkseycat, owners managers living on site at Solymar Beach & Resort, responded to this review, March 14, 2009
Joyce and Alfredo..it was such a pleasure to have you...you arrived tired and stressed from the north and when you left one month later you were like spring breakers, all tanned and seemed like entirely different people. So very relaxed and so very happy with all the new friends you made at the pool.

We appreciate the comments about the beach chairs , unfortunately very late, they are being ordered at present time and the hot water pump has been fixed as well in our building two.

As everyone knows the beach is like a lake some days and with the wind, wavy and dangerous the next...we too have visited beaches around the world in the last year from Cannes to the North Shore of Oahu and its sometimes quite unlike the postcards because winter is winter anywhere you go...but there were some perfect days here we were glad you enjoyed.
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2009

I recently back from Cancun on a certificate I received from Mexico Paradise Getaways. I was a little skeptical at first because it was an all inclusive “free” trip. It technically wasn’t free but it only cost me $400 to start and $100 is refundable. I thought I would never see that $100 but even if I didn’t, it was well worth $400. The only catch is that you have to pay airline taxes and you have to take a 90 minute presentation. I really didn’t want to go on it but when I did, it wasn’t so bad. We received a free lunch out of it and the shuttle that we took to the other resort, dropped us off any where we wanted to go (within reason of course). The people there were so nice. The process that I had to go through wasn’t too bad and it was worth it in the end. When I first received this certificate, I called the number that was given to me. It directs you to an office in Florida. I spoke with Doug and Brian who were nice enough to walk me through the whole process. Doug works in the morning and Brian works in the afternoon. If anyone is having problems or have any questions, they are the ones to talk to. They were very patient with me and all of my millions of questions. This, I can assure you, is not a scam. I see all kinds of bad reviews and good reviews. No one ever takes the time to let everyone know that they had a good experience anymore. Well, let me be the one to tell you that my wife and I had a relaxing and enjoyable vacation. Thank you, Mexico Paradise Getaways.

Very Pleased

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2009

Folks, you all work too hard for your vacation funds and time off to spend any of it at Solymar. There are too many problems here, from fighting owners to a lack of hot water in some units, to make it a relaxing, enjoyable vacation. Here are just a few of the problems at Solymar. Additional problems are reported in several of the other reviews posted here. I suggest reading them all before making any reservations.

Condo Rental Office – Reservations can be made through several different on-line sources, but should ultimately funnel through the on-site agent's rental pool. However, something seems to be seriously wrong with this system. Reservations for some guests were lost, rooms that people requested and reserved months ahead were already rented when they arrived, other people showed up and were greeted with “We thought you were due in yesterday” or “We weren't expecting you till tomorrow” even though the renters had sent e-mails confirming their arrival. Perhaps if more time were spent reading e-mail and resolving reservation conflicts, there wouldn't be as many unhappy people talking around the pool. This is one place where the customer is never right. There is rarely an apology for any problem or inconvenience, but they will still collect their full commission.

Rooms – Solymar condos are like a box of chocolates – you never know what you're going to get. The condos are individually owned, so there is a vast difference between interiors. Some are absolutely lovely and very nicely appointed; others have furniture that looks like it's from a rummage sale. Some units have dressers or armoires so you can store your clothes, in others you are left to live out of your suitcase during your stay. Linens are shared by all the condo units. Sheets are clean, but tend to be rather threadbare and there is usually a hole somewhere in the top or fitted sheet (of course, you can create a game called “Where is the hole today?”). Towels are rather thin, and need ample time to dry between uses. Kitchen arrangements again vary from unit to unit. Some have a well-stocked kitchen including cooktops and full-size refrigerators, other units have plug-in hot plates and under-the-counter fridges. Vent gasses and sewage smells come up through drains in the bathroom floor and sometimes waft down the hallways. Some buildings and some rooms never had hot water; we later heard there were some days that the entire complex had NO water. The rooms are not equipped with wi-fi.

The Ocean – the water is absolutely beautiful. However, it is rough, and can be rocky, depending on the sand shifts. Red flags are up almost year round, and they're there for a reason. The life guards up and down the beach made several saves during our stay. There are fierce rip tides, and unfortunately, a guest did get caught in a riptide in December and drowned.

Noise – Most rooms have hard floor surfaces (tile or marble) and little insulation side-to-side or top-to-bottom. When the neighbor above you or next door to you walks around in shoes, especially those with any sort of a heel, you can hear every step they make as they move around the room. The doors to the room are heavy wooden doors (no fire safety doors here). Because they tend to swell if damp, some of the doors have been shaved down in order to open, leaving large gaps at the top and bottom. There are no sweeps or insulation to cover the gaps. No alarm clocks needed here, because it can be difficult to sleep past 5:30 a.m. You hear people walking up and down the hallway and the steps (flip flop, flip flop, flip flop) at all hours, rolling their luggage down the hall to catch that early morning flight or coming in from a late night flight, other people slamming their doors, elevator bells, and the renovations going on two floors down and three doors over. Because the furniture tends to be heavy, people drag chairs and other furniture around, so you can hear the furniture being moved in the room above or beside you. Air conditioners rattle and hum more than a U2 concert, but that helps to block out some of the other noise.

Steps – there are a lot of steps, and you may need to carry your luggage up and down several steps to your room. Porters now demand ~$5.00 per bag in order to help you. There are elevators to two main levels (and ground), but most of the rooms are on floors that are up or down several steps from the elevator level. There are no handicap ramps.

Theft – The recession has hit Mexico hard; tourism is down, and theft is up. While there, we talked with people who had everything from personal items and clothing being stolen from locked rooms, to owner's appliances (large and small) disappearing from rooms (now we know that's not the maids!). As you can imagine, no one knows anything, and there is no recourse if anything is stolen.

Pool and Beach Chairs – There is a serious lack of chairs around the pool and on the beach to accommodate the number of guests. Expect to get up at 5:00 a.m. (but you already may be up because you heard your neighbor walking around in their room) to secure a chair, or plan to lay on the concrete or sand.

All inclusive – don't even bother. Food is the same day after day; drinks are cheap, watered down liquor.

As I said, everyone works too hard for their vacation funds to put up with the stress and the issues at Solymar. Spend a little more and stay somewhere safe and relaxing (remember – you get what you pay for, and a bargain isn't a bargain if you are not safe, relaxed, or are not enjoying your stay). There are many good deals out there right now. Find one of them and avoid Solymar at all cost.

Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
winnipeg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2009

Just came back from a 3 day stay at a condo at Solymar. It was privately owned by Michelle and Peter. Michelle provided me with all the necessary information the condo with including pictures. Room 2407 was nice and had a beautiful ocean view. It was fully equipped with a coffeemaker, microwave, fridge, stove, bottled water, blender, cooler, toaster, dishes, pots/pans and more. Michelle was extremely helpful and provided us with boggie boards for our kids which they really enjoyed. The price for the condo was excellent in comparison to other places for ocean front on the cancun strip. The beach are was beautiful compared to other resorts. We would recommend a stay through Peter and Michelle.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
Ottawa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2009

Went to Cancun for some fun and relaxation with friends and stayed at the Solymar Hotel . Booked the trip through GoTravel Direct. There brochure was a little misleading, appearantly there are three bars at the hotel, well no there isn't there is one at the beach, and one at the pool bar BOTH outside! So if it rains you are screwed.
Also no hairdryer, no hair conditioner , no iron, NO remote control, half of the safe's don't work they are electronic.
It was very windy so bring a sweater as again the bar is outside!! half the beach disapeared while we were there because of the wind, Thank goodness we were there for two weeks and had a full beach the first week.
The staff at the Hotel were Excellent very out going and helpful, by far that is what saved the place.
Also it is not "steps away" from shopping you have to take public transportation to and from the shopping/ bars area.
the food was pretty much the usual that you get at an all inclusive.. remember do not drink the water from the taps, if you want water you have to buy it in town or at the gift shop. Happy travelling.
They do offer condo's which look pretty nice but google this hotel as there was a pedaphile who owned some of those condo's and I wouldn't pay any money into them.
Had I read "TripAdvisor" before booking this hotel I would of changed hotels .

• Liked — the staff
  • Disliked — the food , location proximity to downtown.
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Solymar Beach & Resort? Share your experiences!