“Return to paradise - 4th time back” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Solymar Beach & Resort

Save Saved
You added Solymar Beach & Resort to your Saves list
Solymar Beach & Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   Blvd. Kukulkan Km. 18.7 | Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Ranked #138 of 174 Hotels in Cancun
Winnipeg, Canada
“Return to paradise - 4th time back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

I recently stayed in Nancy and Larry's penthouse unit (#3807), and once again had a fabulous stay. Solymar doesn't have the glitz and glamour of some of the other big all inclusive resorts, but in my opinion, that's a good thing. There are no crowds, no lines, and you are free to do things at your own pace. The unit has a full kitchenette, and a quick trip to Walmart will provide you with everything you need. The private terrace is one of the best attributes of the unit. It's great for BBQ'ing, watching the sun go down over the lagoon, or just grabbing some rays in a quiet and private setting. The unit is clean, and the king size bed is very comfortable. The condo is located directly on the beach, and it's just a quick bus trip to downtown. I'll certainly be returning to Solymar once-again for my next trip to Cancun.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Polish first
Winnipeg, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

I'm an optimist. Despite reading all the bad reviews the price swayed me and I told myself that only the unhappy ones write reviews, that there must be some good things about this place. Well I should have listened to all the other posters. One good thing came of it... it was so bad it was funny!
Upon check in, our lagoon view room was tiny and not clean. The view from the balcony.. well we could barely seen the lagoon in the far distance as we were over a parking lot and maintenance building. To the hotels credit they did "upgrade" us to an ocean view room. This room was still pretty bad. The door didn't open well, one had to hip check it as it wasn't level with the floor, upon entering we immediatly checked for bugs, thank goodness no bed bugs. I did however rip the top cover off the bed as it was very obviously filthy and probably had not been washed since it's purchase. The sheets seemed ok. I did bribe the staff the next day to ensure clean ones and I know there were changed. The walls had large and crumbling holes in them, the ceiling was falling in where the curtains hung, they did not close all the way and were held closed by a pin. There was a chair in the room and we would not even place anything on it, never mind sit in it as it was nasty. The patio doors barely locked and the pad lock was broken. Security was not important to them obviously. The flat screen tv...well ok the screen was flat but it was from the 80's, a giant tube type tv. No remote even after we asked several times. The buttons on the tv did not work either, it was iffy if the channel would change or the volume would go up or down. We had to use a pen to operate them as the button covers had long ago fallen off. There was no hair dryer as promised in the room, but there was a hole in the wall where it was supposed to be. The fan in the bathroom made a screeching noise and unfortunately it was linked to the light, so we either had to endure the screech or use the bathroom in the dark. The shower had one faucet that worked and it was iffy if we would get hot or cold water. They did have a working safe in the room, too bad we couldn't crawl into it to feel safe ourselves. Our ocean view by the way was obstructed by the buffet building and could not be seen although technically our room was facing the ocean.
The buffet.. we ate dinner there once in 5 days. So much for saving some money by going to an all inclusive. It was nasty. Hot dog wieners in fake cheese sauce?! Really?! Soggy warm salad.. The breakfast however was good.
You should know, even though the picture shows two pools, one is a wading pool for the kids, it's about a foot deep.
Also, 90% of the staff doesn't speak English, even asking for a diet coke was difficult.
We ended up listening to a time share presentation at a 5 star for the opportunity to spend a day at their resort.
Sorry folks, this one really is as bad as everyone says. Spend a couple more bucks and stay somewhere nicer.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor ocean view.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Varadero, Cuba
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

I stayed at the hotel only one night. I wanted to try what a 3 star all inclusive can offer. Not much.
The food is terrible, the selection is forgettable. The beach bar does not function, although I was told that the hotel is full.
The rooms are cathastrophic, no AC remote, no TV remote. The standard room even does not have a safe, just an iron box with a 30 years old lock.
I complained and asked for a room change, then a superior room was offered to me, that was a bit better (real safe box), but the new room was dirty, used paper in the toilet bin, half finished water next to the bed, etc.
The front desk was not helpful at all, no cooperation was from their side.
Next door there was a leak, a shower was leaking so loud that it disturbed me all night, couldn't sleep well.
The beach is average, nothing special, yellowish sand, few people.
I've seen several hotels, mostly in Cuba, but even a 3 star hotel can offer much more than this one.
If you are looking for a cheap hotel in the Hotel Zone, but don't want to spend any time there, just sleeping, it might be ok.

Room Tip: As I was told, there are condominiums in the hotel, you should book those ones, as these are private...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Brno, Czech Republic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

Hotel is oldish but staff are very kind. It was my best holiday.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Tahoe City
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

We rented a condo at Solymar for the week of April 14-20th, 2012. The condo room we rented through Airbnb was nice, but the hotel and restaurant was not. The pool(s) were ok...nothing special, but the beach was great! We didn't eat at the restaurant because we were informed that it was horrible. I did see some of the food coming out of the pool side restaurant and it didn't look good. The bus stops right outside the hotel and it's the only way to travel ($1). We would stay here again.

Room Tip: Rent from Michelle at Airbnb if you are going to stay at Solymar.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Rockland, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

I have to say I was nervous about this place, only because after booking it, I read some of the (not so good) reviews about it. Well, I have to say it wasn't that bad for the price. Not saying I would stay here again, but there was many reasons to say it was average. I was surprised that it showed a 3 1/2 star rating. The food was very good, many choices, and always ready on time. Very friendly wait staff all around, very accomodating. They are all very hard workers, I must say. That being said, we wished that the bartenders were more informed in there making drinks. Didn't seem like they knew how to make certain simple drinks and when they did, they were so tastey.
We stayed here for 10 days straight. Perfect weather everyday.
This Hotel was overall in a quiet location. If you want to be closer to the "noise" of the night life, this is not for you...although taking the bus and driving a few miles down wasn't hard at all. but It wasn't really in walking distance to any of the plazas.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Gunnison, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

Traveling to Cancun on business trip almost every three most you get to know the good and the
bad hotels and resorts but this one beats all of them. Well it's spring break and one would think that all hotel are busy, but they are not. Hotel owners are complaining because business is slow.
Traveling from Belize City, Belize I decided to take a chance and spend few nights at this resort.
Arriving late at night the place looked O.K., checked in, decent rate per night. Being tired I decided to go to bed.Room looked decent. Early in morning I'm trying to start the TV, well there is
no remote control in the room. Called reception and some young man said we will send someone
to take care of it. 1 Hr. passed by nobody show up.Well it's shower time going to the bathroom and I can't belief no wash cloths, two bathtub towels only, fixtures are outdated remembering
early 1969, Water puddle on the middle of the bathroom. No nasal tissue, etc.Called reception
again, the same answer somebody will take care of the problems.Started to shave turned the
faucet on and the water is running not only from the spout but also from the valve stems.Going
to take a shower and you have to open the all style glass doors openning it was fine, but closing it was another story.Finally after taking care of my hygiene, it's to for complimentary
breakfast, which is being served outside, some few days old fruit, some warm meats most
likely left overs from few days ago, omelets are the only item that is made fresh and coffee.
With flies all around decided to go and have a breakfast in town. On the way I stopped at the
reception to give them my opinion of their resort.Almost forgot the sink in the bathroom was not draining at all.When I returned 6 hrs. later nothing was done and the room was not even cleaned. Another trip to the reception, this time time with the list of items that were not acceptable by to days standards.Older man in reception advised me that the work order was processed in the morning and it will be done. Well it's 6:00 P.M. and nothing was done, well
they tried few transmitters and none work, they will get new ones in the morning, nasal tissue
we don't provide and rest is minor.I asked for another room and the answer was we don;t have it. I asked for refund and the answer was you will have to speak to the manager, who is
not in but you could get him in the morning, well I'm checking out in the morning at 7:00 A.M.
well it's to bad.
That was my first and last encounter with Solymar Beach & Resort.

Room Tip: Stay away as far as you can, there is plenty of nice hotels in Cancun than this one.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

Been to Solymar Beach & Resort? Share your experiences!