“Don't Believe Any of the Bad Reviews” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Park Royal Cancun Caribe

You added Grand Park Royal Cancun Caribe to your Saves list
Grand Park Royal Cancun Caribe
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd. Kukulcan Km 10.5, Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Ranked #39 of 179 Hotels in Cancun
Oklahoma
“Don't Believe Any of the Bad Reviews”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2008

I don't normally write reviews because they just seem to be a forum for people to gripe. That being said we stay at the Hyatt Caribe from November 5th thru the 10th 2008.
It was fantastic. It's not the Ritz but I didn't pay for the Ritz. The staff was unbelievably friendly and more than willing to get you anything you wanted. The pool guy Jose met all four of us the first day and was always there when you needed anything. He knew all of us by out first names and was just great. The breakfast buffet was a typical mexican resort buffet and was fresh and never looked like it had been sitting around for hours. The pools were also cool they have 2 of them. One by the main hotel and the other by the Deluxe Beachfront and Regency buildings. We hung out at that one. They had the cool beds with canopies over them that were free you just better get there early to get one.
The rooms in the deluxe beachfront were very nice and unbelievably quiet. They had a great view and a cool bathroom with an even cooler shower. Everything was spotlessly cleaned everyday and done very early.
The only thing I didn't understand or adhere to was the no outside food or drinks in the hotel. We brought about whatever we wanted in but didn't flaunt the fact we were doing it. We just put anything we brought into the place up when the maid service was going to be done and left the do not disturb sign on the door. It also helped that we were in the deluxe beachfront building and didn't go by the front desk. You can just get off the bus and walk across the parking lot to your room.
Any I can't say enough good things about it.
Did I also mention we booked it for 5 nights thru Expedia for $465 that included breakfast.
I can't wait to go back.

• Liked — The pools and the staff
  • Disliked — Sidewalks
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (727)
  • Korean first
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2008

We stayed at the Hyatt Caribe Nov 3-9. We had been planning a trip to Mexico for some time. We had never been to Cancun and wanted to make it our destination. We had researched several resorts, compared prices, etc. on Trip Advisor. We started looking into the Hyatt Caribe. We read the reviews and were at first very skeptical of making reservations. I did contact a few of the individuals who left positive reviews through Trip Advisor. I am glad I did.

We had an incredible time. We literally did not find anything to complain about. The staff was exceptionally friendly. The view from the rooms were very nice. The beach (though some have complained) is quite nice and spacious and we thoroughly enjoyed it. We did not eat on the premises during the week and chose to explore. This was a very delightful experience for us and would go back to the Hyatt Caribe.

I will share this in conclusion. There are many people who make it their ambition in life to find things in life to complain about. We found in our experience on our trip that most of those people are Americans who have an attitude of superiority and expect others to do exactly as they ask and then complain if their every whim is not fulfilled. We (my wife and I) were able to get away by ourselves without children for a week. We were able to be alone, enjoy each other, get reacquainted, and have a spectacular time.

If you are looking for a perfect place to go, there is no such thing. If you are looking for a reasonably priced, good quality friendly environment the Hyatt in our opinion is as good as any.

• Liked — the view, the cleanliness of the room and the staff
  • Disliked — there wasn't anything that we disliked about the accomodations.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
aurora, co
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2008

Stayed Oct 11-18. Occupancy was less than 50%. Perhaps that's why I was upgraded to the Premiere Tower. It's actually a 7 story building off to the right side of the main hotel. All the rooms in this building have balcony's that are literally only feet away from the sea ! Breathtaking.
However, you're so close to the sea only because the Hyatt lost most of their beach with Hurricane Wilma a few years ago. A few people would go out onto the small beach remaining, but I think it's only because they felt some sort of self-obligation since they were at a beachfront property. Next to the Hyatt Caribe is the Le Blanc hotel. I strolled through there one day, and out to their pool and beach. Beautiful ! Wide, long white sand beach. I'm not sure if it was purely what nature had done, of if some properties along the beach took steps to either prevent the sand loss, or replaced much of what was lost. In either case, just know that the Hyatt Caribe has very, very little beach access. They do have 2 very nice pools, both with bar access. Hold off until 'happy hour' at 3pm for 2-4-1 prices unless you don't mind spending 850 pesos for 1 drink. The room was very nice. Had the rain shower that others have mentioned here and glossy smooth tiled floors. Loved the dimmers on the reading lights next to the beds. The beds are very firm, which was okay with me. TV was not plasma. Just the boxy flat screen type and reception was not the best, but ok and several English language movies every night. Upon check-in, I tried to press for an answer as to why we have to sign the form stating that no outside food or beverage was allowed on the property. The only answer the girl at the check-in desk could provide was "this is our policy. Every property has their own policy, and this is ours." !! In other words, it is because they want you to spend as much money as possible at their property. Just be discrete, and you can get around that nonsense. (notice picure of wine on the balcony !) Had issues with the air conditioner at first. The mainenance man told me not to put the setting on 'auto'. However, when you leave the room, it sets itself to 'auto'. So when you return, the room is much warmer than you had it set for. Just override the 'auto' by selecting a fan speed (lo, med, hi). It then works just fine, at least until you leave the room again. These are not the quietest rooms, so yes, you may hear some faint pounding sounds from the club across the street on the weekend nights, and comings and goings of other guests and housekeeping outside the room. The breakfast buffet is very basic and costs 210 pesos. Do yourself a favor, and make the 10 minute walk toward 'town'. Directly across from Senor Frog's is a WONDERFUL little restaurant called Le More Natural Foods y Vino. Breakfast here is 65 pesos and includes choice of juice, choice of fresh fruit, choice of eggs with refried beans, bread, and unlimited coffee (or tea) ! They also have a lunch special hich includes beer, for 75 pesos. Very clean and friendly place! And the food is very nicely presented and tasty.
Internet use at the hotel is $5.00 usd for 30 minutes.
Inside the Flamingo shopping mall (10 minute walk on the other side of the street) is an Internet Cafe that charges $1.20 usd for 20 minutes.
The fitness room at the Hyatt is small, but adequate and has that
million dollar view right next to the sea. There is no spa here, per se. However, take the bus (back in the direction toward the airport) for about 8 minutes and go to the J W Marriott. Beautiful property and for $25 usd, you can use their wonderful spa for the day. Includes robes, variety of hot teas, fresh fruits, nuts, water. Great steam, sauna, and whirlpools! However, like most resort spas, their spa services are quite pricey ($120 usd for 50 min massage). But, again, you can just use the spa facility and feel very pampered for a few hours.
The location of the Hyatt Caribe is less than a 15 minute walk to the main Cancun clubs, or 2-3 bus stops, which
takes about 2 minutes. Buses come by about every 60-90 seconds anywhere along the main (and only) avenue along the Hotel Zone and costs 6.5 pesos. The buses often have 'entertainment' from local "minstrels" that play for tips. A couple of pesos is much appreciated. At least they're not just standing on the side of the street with a sign asking for handouts!
I used Cancun Shuttle for the airport transers. It cost $17 usd r/t and was very efficient and quick. Book in advance online. When I checked yesterday, however, the cost was now $23 usd. You can exchange currency at the airport, and get a very good rate. The hotel front desk will also change it for you, but not as good a rate. There are also several other currency exchange locations in 'town'. They all post their rates daily, so just check before you exchange. You can also save lots of money by getting one of the Entertainment Cards before you leave. Check out entertainment-plus dot net web site.
Overall, this property was quite nice and location is very good. This was my 4th visit to Cancun, and a 5th is already booked for February, 2009. Staying at the Hyatt Regency at that time, as I found a great deal that I couldn't resist !
Oh, and don't feel obligated to spend all your remaining pesos at the over inflated airport restaurants when you leave. Hold on to them, and use them on your next visit to Mexico ! If not Cancun, then one of the other areas. You know you'll be back!
Hasta la vista !

• Liked — Breathtaking views, cleanliness, location
  • Disliked — No outside food/beverage 'policy' !
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
waukesha,wi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2008

My husband and I just returned from the Hyatt Caribe after a week stay the last week of October. We have stayed here twice before and appreciate the not so large size of the Hyatt as compared to the mega resorts in the hotel zone. We have never visited Cancun in the fall and were faced with a lot of clouds, but managed to still find enough hours of sun at the pool side. The beach was totally wiped out due to the strong winds and tide. They are planning to bring more sand in, as are the other hotels, for the peak months. We were VERY disappointed on arrival that the main building was closed down for touch ups, except for the first floor. All new customers were being steered to the newer Premier building. Normally you'd pay a bit more there. Unfortunately every room in that building has 2 double beds. No kings, which we insist on. For $100 a day more we could have upgraded to the club building which did have the king beds available. But we actually enjoy the views better from the original bldg. So we chose to go with the first floor in the main building. Altho we prefer the upper floors for the fantastic views of the ocean and pool areas, the room we had did have the largest patio which included 2 lounge chairs as well as the table and 2 regular chairs. Very useful and comfortable. The room was average (not upscale) with a very comfortable firm bed. The room was kept very clean and the staff checked in every late afternoon to see if we needed anything replenished.
The desk staff was helpful as usual. Our favorite front desk clerk, Alberto, was so over the top as far as providing service. (In fact, when deciding on rooms, he walked us thru 3 different rooms for us to pick from.) We met him on our last visit in the spring and again found him to be above and beyond. There was nothing he couldn't help with.
We can see that the Hyatt should upgrade the original building. It has the best views in our opinion. The rates are great, especially in these off months. Since we enjoy eating at a variety of restaurants we didn't use the restaurant except for one night. Nothing great. Rates for the buffets were lower during this off peak time. Happy hours twice a day bring the cost of drinks down to "normal". We did bring in a couple gallons of water, even tho we signed that we wouldn't bring food in. Don't believe it was a big deal, especially during slow time.
We will stay again in the future as the very convenient location and size of the hotel are perfect for us.

• Liked — The views and smaller size of hotel
  • Disliked — That the hotel closed off 90% of the rooms in the main tower at one time.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
october147
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2008

I stayed in the premier tower portion and my room was a great ocean front room - very quiet. Hotel services were extraordinary. The beach, pools, grounds, and my room at least was well maintained. I would, and will, stay there again. The food, while not bad, lacked variety. Stay away from the breakfast buffet. If the food was suppose to be hot, it was cold; if it was suppose to be cold, it was very warm. I tried the buffet at various times in the morning, and it did not matter. The small coffee shop had an adequate choice of danish type rolls. The sandwiches were not good. Also, one their menu they indicated bagels and smoked salmon and cream cheese. I tried to order this each day and each day they didn't have any. My suggestion is that they take that item off their chalk board. Over all, however, I would stay there again and eat off site. The food wasn't bad (except for the breakfact buffet), just not outstanding. I didn't try the evening buffet because I suspect it would not be any better than the breakfact buffet (I believe some items from the evening buffet also showed up the next day on the breakfast buffet).

Stayed October 2008
PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2008

We spent first 6 days staying at the Oasis Viva Beach all inclusive resort down the street. Our final night we stayed at the Hyatt and it was a wonderful experience. Our trip was during spring break 2008.

Room-we stayed at the club unit, 2nd FL facing the ocean. 1st floor rooms have direct access to the beach..just walk out there you're at the beach. Room is spacious and clean, large bathroom, large sitting area, small balcony facing the ocean. Marble floors through out.

Food-We didn't go to their buffet. THey have a small coffee shop which opens early in the morning. We had a lunch at the grill restaurnt next to the pool. Good for a quick bite.

We had dinner at Blue Bayou at Hyatt Cancun Caribe. It's the only restaurant in Cancun that has won prestigous awards. It offers great Italian and Mexican dishes. My husband likes their New Olean style grilled shrimp (250 pesos). I like their Shrimp & Crab (270 pesos), served in a cast-iron personal pan. Our kids ordered grilled cheese sandwich and hot dog (110 pesos) which tastes nothing like junk food at all :-)). At the end, we tried their Mexican Coffee (80 pesos), and Sexy Coffee (80 pesos). Both were prepared and served by waiter at our table-quite a show by itself---dont' miss it if you see it on your menu. This is the best restauant we liked, stop by if you have a chance.

Beach and pool-absolutely beautiful beaches, not crowded at all even during spring break. The pools have panoramic views...just gorgeous. Enough launge chairs, plenty of pool towels.

Check in/out-no hassle and quick. They did lost one of our luggages but later found it. We hired a taxi to the airport for $25.

All in all loved the Hyatt and can't wait to go back.

• Liked — clean room, great beach
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
Fairfax, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2008

We had a great time! Our room was beach front, so from the balcony you could see nothing but the beautiful ocean. There is a barrier reef built about 100 yards out, which made the already calm water almost still. There are 3 separate beach areas and 2 pools, so there was plenty of room. I highly recommend getting one of the cabanas (outdoor beds) for a day to just lounge around. There are not a lot of on-site activities, but the concierge was very helpful. The other staff was also great and eager to help and even learned our names within a day or two. The room was pretty decent, nothing spectacular until you get to the bathroom! It looked newly renovated with very art deco sinks and an amazing walk-in shower with 3 separate shower heads and a shower seat. Incredible! The hotel restaurants were a little pricey, but "vacation" prices were fine for 24 hour availability for room service and the hotel is just a kilometer away from what looked like the "main action" in Cancun. One warning - our building (the Premiere building) had beautiful tile floors throughout, but keep a "caution when wet" sign in your head at all times, because slippery is an understatement!

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Grand Park Royal Cancun Caribe? Share your experiences!