“Perfectly fine for a few nights stopover” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Plaza Caribe

You added Hotel Plaza Caribe to your Saves list
Hotel Plaza Caribe
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Av. Tulum con Av. Uxmal Lote.19 Smza.23, Calle. Pino s/n Col. Centro, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Ranked #97 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Sydney
“Perfectly fine for a few nights stopover”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

We stayed here for two nights in early Feb as we were starting a tour of Central America and it was the hotel used by the tour group.
The hotel was fine - a little unconventional by western standards in terms of the bathroom/shower situation but otherwise it was fine.
The room was clean, the air con worked well (and boy did we need it) and there was water supplied which was great.
The ADO bus stop across the road makes this a really handy location - if we'd realised earlier just how easy it was to catch the ADO bus we'd have definitely caught the bus to the hotel rather than got a private transfer. It's walking distance to some good food and there are plenty of convenience stores around
The wifi could be a bit patchy but overall it was okay and the pool looked good.
The hotel was quite noisy and there appeared to be a school group there rehearsing their drama play, which made for some interesting noises! But it wasn't a big deal.
I wouldn't be booking this hotel for more than a few nights and definitely not for any romantic holidays, but for our purposes it suited us just fine.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Alice Springs, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

stopping in cancun from the bus, tired, hungry, i walked across the street to this hotel got a room for 590 pesos, the room was old musty broken chair old bed, the remote didnt work, the wifi didnt work, so i complained,
i was given another room smaller not smelly but loud, at midnight children screaming, pool activites, i called front desk, nothing, i called again, nothing, i yelled shut upppp, and the locals merely looked
soon after a mexican came to my door kicking it, kicking it, called the desk nothing,,,,

this is a hotel for thugs, locals, children who like to scream, i would go around the corner for 300 pesos azul,
there was no breakfast and the wifi was erratic at this room also,

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

Terrible/rude customer service. Room smelled really musty and mouldy. Badly designed bathroom that allow other guests to see you using the toilet through the shower glass... I could go on. Conveniently close to the ADO bus station so we should have just caught the bus straight out of Cancun.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
San Antonio, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

I spent 3 nights here because of convenience to the ADO. There is plenty of renovating going on in some of the buildings and reception is unfazed at giving you a room next door to one that's demolished inside and under construction, noisy. Beds and pillows are not the best, linens are thread bare, housekeeping is slow, towel exchange longer(expect towels to be removed from room by noon or before and not replaced until between 5 and 6pm). Because of rate I paid I did not get a remodeled room, if I were going to spend more time in the room it would have been worth it. Bathrooms in old rooms dingy, old, dirty looking. Mosquito spray (Off) needed until bell man could come back and spray room with Raid. Pool, lobby and grounds are nice. Exotic birds nice.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

Poor planning found me at the Cancun bus terminal at 11:45pm with a dead cell phone and nowhere to stay. I wandered around a bit before deciding on this place, which is literally right across the street from the terminal--there was a sign outside advertising a double room for $590 pesos ($44 US), and I was desperate, so I figured why not.

I took the deal--it was 590 total, with no extra taxes or fees added. The cheap rooms were all on the third floor (no elevator); however, the room I got was nice--nothing fancy, but quiet and clean, with a tv and separate bathroom.

I wasn't at the hotel long--I left the following morning for Isla Mujeres--but I noticed that there was a nice, big courtyard that would have been an enjoyable place to relax for a bit. There was also a restaurant, where I ate breakfast--not included with the special price, but still not that expensive.

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised. The staff were friendly, the room was nice and not that expensive, and the proximity to the bus terminal is a huge plus.

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

My partner and I stayed 2 nights at the Plaza Caribe in mid November. We had a small poolside room which was ideal. The pool was clean & well maintained and ideal for the sunny Cancun weather. The hotel location was great - right across the street from the ADO bus terminal. Many small non-touristy stores, bars and restaurants well within walking distance. Two of our favourite higher end restaurants within walking distance are Labna and Habichuela ( side by side). There are two community parks closeby with local and cultural activities. The large artisans market is a few blocks (easy walk) away - prices for arts & crafts and souvenirs are a fraction of the price in the hotel zone (for the same items).
We had made separate reservations (at different times each for a different night). We we arrived home we discovered that there was a payment for both nights and also for one night (in error) on our credit card. I emailed the hotel about the error (which was unintentional) and they informed me that they already noticed it and had put through a credit. They attached a copy of the credit slip. How remarkable is that!! While at the hotel the staff was always friendly and asked about our needs. We will stay here again and also recommend it to our travelling friends.
BTW a previous review suggest that there was no door on the bathroom - in fact the shower door when left in the open position was, in fact, the bathroom door, permitting privacy.

Room Tip: poolside rooms are nice
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

I've stayed here twice now. Both times I've travelled in by bus from Valladolid late, stayed in this hotel overnight then caught the bus to the airport in the AM. The hotel is literally across the stree from the bus station, so you only need to drag your suitcase by 100ft or so. The staff are friendly. The restaurant is OK; pretty tasty food but uber slow service. It's OK if your not in a hurry. Both times I've stayed in the newer rennovated rooms, and both times I've been on my own, and all I can say is thank god for that. A word of warning. There is absolutely no privacy as far as using the toilet is concerned. It's right in the room, although I suppose you could say it's technically behind the shower. However, you sit there in your full glory open to the room. It's a little weird.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Plaza Caribe? Share your experiences!