“An Excellent Hotel Near the Bus Station, Of All Places” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Plaza Caribe

Save Saved
You added Hotel Plaza Caribe to your Saves list
Hotel Plaza Caribe
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Av. Tulum con Av. Uxmal Lote.19 Smza.23, Calle. Pino s/n Col. Centro, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Ranked #90 of 174 hotels in Cancun
Tampa
“An Excellent Hotel Near the Bus Station, Of All Places”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

I recently did some traveling in Mexico and while I was there, took a weekend trip to a nearby country (that's another review!). Due to the flight times, I needed to spend just one night in Cancun. The travel agent who arranged my flights booked me at the Hotel Plaza Caribe and told me it was conveniently located near the bus station. Yikes, was my first thought, although being nearby the station was convenient......When I arrived at the bus station I literally walked across the street to the hotel. It has a cascading wall fountain outside, sliding glass doors, a doorman and a nice air conditioned lobby with a restaurant and bar on one side and a marble check-in desk. The hotel is well-kept and was prob. built in the 1980s. The people at the desk spoke English and Spanish; they were incredibly polite and helpful, especially the Manager Oyuki Ramirez. I rec'd my remote controls (TV and AC) and card-type key, walked across the courtyard where the large clean swimming pool was located, the restaurant looked onto the pool area as well as the large garden with parrots and peacocks in well-tended cages! The restaurant had two levels with a palapa (palm frond) roof. The restaurant had many traditional Yucatec dishes that were delicious as well as some American style food, like hamburgers and chicken. It served breakfast, lunch and dinner. The food was well made and nicely priced; the service was fantastic. The room had two firm queen sized beds, a flat screen T.V. (some stations were in English or had subtitles), a small clean bathroom/shower with a marble sink and vanity just outside the bathroom. There was a small table and chairs in the room (perfect for using the computer at), a dresser and the window OPENED if you wanted it (I did). There was also room service, a telephone in the room and FREE WI-FI allover the hotel. Everything was clean and nice.

This isn't a luxury hotel, but at least as nice as your average American hotel chain with a MUCH better restaurant. Not for ClubMed type people, but a great hotel if you're need to spend the night while in the Cancun area, but don't have enough time to go to the beach.

Two things - I don't think it had an elevator, yet there were two or three floors, so you might want to ask about that if you have a lot of luggage and the travel agent got a better rate for me than what they had posted in the lobby, so you might want to check around for a discount when booking.

Room Tip: I don't think it had an elevator, yet there were two or three floors, so you might want to ask a...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

93 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Merida, Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

we live in merida and when we fly out of cancun in the morning, we generally stay overnight here because of its convenient location in front of the ADO bus station and airport bus. the rooms are ok for one night. but some rooms are smelly, the place can be noisy at times - there is a pool and a restaurant on location, where you can buy breakfast, but it is overpriced. We found now another place, el rey de el caribe which is just a couple of blocks away and for the same price it is a bargain.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
HotelPlazaCaribe, Manager at Hotel Plaza Caribe, responded to this review, June 5, 2012
Dear guest, we are very sorry for the inconvenient that you have with our rooms, we are upgrading our facilities for give you the best service in town, we invite you to visit us again in your next trip to Cancun and you'll delight with our new facilities.

thanks for your comments
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012

This hotel was horrible! Room 135 - stinking and doggy... unfriendly and unhelpful staff... we took some pictures of this "4-star hotel". Shame! Fortunately we had to stay only 2 nights. This place should be closed for proper renovation and CLEANING! We have been travelling a lot, staying at 2/3/4/5 star hotels but this one (the room) should not be given even 2 stars.
When we asked for a better room we were told that 135 was the best one. Perhaps you can compare 135 and 141 which we have seen at the end. (29/04/2012)

Room Tip: ask for renewed rooms
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

We end-up here as our previous hotel (Sotavento Hotel and Yacht Club) have been overbook and despite our reservation we had no room left when we arrived late at the hotel. They did relocate us in plaza caraibe, the place was clean and quiet with a private parking. Breakfast is not included and cost a 100pesos it was good, pool is just ok but not kids friendly at all! They have birds in the garden and the service is nice. I would say it is a good place to stay one night before leaving cancun.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Woodstock, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

My wife and I stayed at this hotel on Feb 18, 2012 mainly because of the 'centro' location convenient to ADO Bus Terminal.

After reading the reviews we were a bit hesitant but enjoyed our stay. We asked for a renovated room as suggested in a tip on this website, but they did not have one available. The clerk was very reassuring that the room would not smell or have a noisy air conditioner.

We were delightfully surprised. Our room seemed fresh in both smell and appearance. It had been repainted recently and the air conditioner was no noisier than any other hotel. The rooms are set back in from the streets so no bothersome street noises either.

The hotel looks much nicer in the lobby and pool areas compared to our room, however it was neat and clean. We observed three room in the process of being redone and some upgrades in painting and tile, which was mentioned as a concern by others.

Overall I would say it is a good place to stay where location and convenience is an preference. Price was under P$700. for two. Restaurant was fine for both food and service.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
North Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

I had to stay over night in Cancun city as my bus to Merida was not until the next day. Friends recommended that I stay at the Plaza Caribe as it was right across the street from the bus station. I feared that the hotel would be noisy being situated where it was in the centre of the city.
How wrong I was! The only noise I heard was the muted sound of the peacocks which are housed at the back of the property. I was able to keep my window open all night which allowed for some fresh breezes and never did hear a car or for that matter any street noise.
As others have reported about this hotel, I agree that the front office staff were wonderful.
One woman went out of her way for me, called me by my first name whenever she saw me and even showed me how to make a phone call using a Mexican phone card. Wow, she made my stay.
Finally the on site restaurant is really attractive and was an oasis from the outside streets. Food was tasty and reasonable in cost.

I will definitely stay here again

Room Tip: Ask for one of the renovated rooms
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Limerick, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

This is a basic hotel and a basic rate - cheap and cheerful and literally 30 seconds from the ADO bus terminal. We had a really early bus so this was very convenient for us - we rolled out of bed and onto the bus. Reception staff were very friendly, especially Yoyuki (not sure of the spelling). She had amazing English and was so helpful picking restaurants etc.

This is a place to rest your head for a night or two but not a hotel to stay in for any longer.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Plaza Caribe? Share your experiences!