“we had a wonderful stay here” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mia Cancun

You added Mia Cancun to your Saves list
Mia Cancun
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   Blvd. Kukulcan Km 11.5, Cancun 77500, Mexico (Formerly Avalon Baccara Cancun)   |
Ranked #81 of 179 Hotels in Cancun
Albany, New York
“we had a wonderful stay here”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

The Mia Cancun is what it is - a funky, inexpensive hotel on the beach. The room was clean, the breakfast everyday was fine. We did not want an all-inclusive stay and this fit our budget criteria perfectly. The location is great, its right on the strip within walking distance of the downtown area and beyond. Wifi is in the lobby and pool area only. We went for walks every morning, beautiful sunrises every day. Our favorite restaurant "Tacun" is right outside the front door. All in all we had a wonderful stay here. Don't expect La Blanc because that is not what this is. It is a clean, comfortable, great location, safe place to stay in Canun.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Port Alberni, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We had a wonderful stay for six nights so we made a reservation for next year for four weeks. We gave a deposit for two nights. The young man at the desk had referred us to a lady who took our deposit and said she would send an email confirmation. Almost two months later, we have not received the confirmation, despite having written to the hotel and having called the hotel directly. All the booking sites are claiming this hotel is sold out next year during the time our reservation was made for. We are left not knowing whether the hotel intends to honour our reservation or refund our deposit. They have not responded, which leaves us wondering how to proceed with plans for 2016. We are also wondering why we didn't ask for a confirmation at the time we booked, and why we trusted the person who took our reservation and our money.

Stayed February 2015, traveled solo
Pasco, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We stayed all last week, the wife and I and our two teenagers. Let me say that we stayed here because it was a bargain on the beach. I expected very little, especially with some of the reviews. But in all, we fell in love and would love to come back to this great little hotel.

The beds. I've heard they were terribly firm and offered no comfortable sleep. We had no problems, and the wife and I thought they were quite comfortable. There were ample blankets and comfy linens and pillows. I liked the sleeping very much. If you sleep on something pillow soft at home your mileage may vary.

The staff. I have stayed at places all over, I have never felt as welcomed and cared for as I was at the Mia. Juan Carlos gave us invaluable advice on how to save money going to Isla Mujeres via Puerto Juarez. He was explicit on which R-1 to take and it was just him looking out for us; we were blown away by how awesome a gesture it was. Juan Carlos also answered questions about other excursions. He offered, but didn't over-sell, to set us up with more excursions. When I said I'd already booked a couple from home but wanted to talk with him about a couple other options, he cautioned us to take a day in between outings. He said we'd be exhausted and would need the rest. Again, he wasn't padding his pockets on us, as he could have, he was looking out that we'd have the best trip possible. I could not have been more impressed, we felt like family here. The rest of the staff was amazingly attentive. The waitstaff at breakfast (which was a very yummy included feature) was right there in every way. A giant bucket of ice was a quick request away to go with the blender in the room... to make some in room margaritas. One very nice man offered to bring a couple shots to flavor our margaritas I was making with our own tequila. Again, not trying to make money on us, just trying to make sure we had the best time we could. The staff at the pool and at the beach (awesome lifeguard, very attentive to point us to the smoothest spots) were right there for us with towels and umbrellas. Our comfort was their top concern. If there was a higher recommendation I could make, in regards to the staff, than A+, I would make it.

The rooms. We had a Lagoon facing suite, 306 (this room actually has wifi, it is right atop the lobby, a bonus!). I didn't mind it, but I'm sure we'd have liked a beach facing suite better. I liked walking down to the pool rail for sunrise, though. My Family would have easily preferred the beach side from the room. The room was clean everyday, though. The hot water was plentiful, too. I take a long shower while I shave my head, so I tested it thoroughly, we had ample and comfortable hot water. The rooms provide pots and pans and hotplates and a microwave and fridge. Since it isn't All Inclusive, these are big deals, and you can save yourself some cash. There are TVs too, but I couldn't even tell you if they work, we were out and about enjoying the shops, food , and culture. There was some low flow in the toilet, though, and my son and I (with help from tacos) had to ask for a plunger... a very nice man was right up to help us out. The decor looks like old Mexico. This will put off some big hotel types, but I found it charming (and seriously, if you want a big chain hotel, go down the strip, or travel to Vegas) and authentic.

The beach. Breathtaking. The sand was like powder, more so than other spots. This is a natural phenomenon due to the heavy surf right in front of the hotel. It pounds in. So, we went 100 yards down the beach to enjoy the water. If you care to look, there are a great deal of shells to harvest. The daughter found a beautiful conch shell and we all found a ton of beautiful clam shells, all in a couple feet of water or less. A lifeguard is out there, which is nice, because directly in front of the hotel you don't want to stray too far out.

All in all, if we go back to Cancun I will only stay at the Mia. I don't believe a place exists that will better care for the success of my vacation. Again, we felt like family.

The only caution (other than multiple flushes during your sit-downs) I can offer is to those who like a posh experience. This is a non-AI, older, smaller boutique hotel. If you want a MGM Grand experience, you will be disappointed. This is for the traveler who will be out all day enjoying the local eateries (I recommend Parque las Palapas for GREAT & cheap eats), shops, and culture (I love all things Mayan). That traveler will be beyond happy. And if you like some low-rent pampering, they can do that and well.

Room Tip: In room 306, in the bedroom, we had wifi... It was right over the lobby :).
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Gwalior, India
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My hubby and I went on our honeymoon last March across Mexico, when we stayed at the Mia Cancun for 4 nights. Our criteria for choosing to stay at the Mia was that the property looked charming in its online images, the location, the favorable reviews and it also fit our budget.

When we arrived at the hotel we were in for a rude shock as contrary to our assumptions the property was a mess, it was old and poorly maintained. The lobby was dimly lit and overcrowded like a travel hostel (since it was the only place with free wifi).

The rooms were definitely the worst we saw on that trip, or for that matter any trip! They are small and stuffy with a dire a need for proper cleaning and maintainence work. The room was adorned with the most outdated amenities and even the fixtures looked like they needed a change, with cabinets falling open.

Within the first hour of checking in to our room, we were dealing with a flood crisis caused by the leaking air conditioning and clogged bathroom drains. We asked for a room change but were told that was not possible and in spite of the maintainence visit found that the air conditioning continued to leak a bit throughout our stay.

Should you too pay for a breakfast inclusive package like we did, be sure that you’re going to be made to feel, like the staff there is doing you a favor by serving you at all!
Save your money and go across to the Oxxo at the mall, you’ll probably get better variety and service there.

The last rather funny thing that my husband and I still recall is how this beach resort had only 2 beach umbrellas!!! We got ours when one of the hotel staff took away the umbrella from a very disgruntled lifeguard and gave it to us. We imagine he might not have come to our rescue should we have waved into some trouble into the water.

While the hotel is a faux pas in itself, the beach on which it was set was spectacular, so we’d recommend you stay at the ME Cancun or one of the many other hotels on this very stretch!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Staten Island, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 weeks ago

We stayed there the week beginning March 22nd and enjoyed this warmth of the sun and the attentive staff at this charming resort with Spanish-deco architecture. With less than 30 rooms, the staff was very attentive and made our stay here very comfortable and relaxing (Special thanks to Juan Carlos, Ishmael, Luis, Henry and Pedro!!). I recommed booking a one bedroom suite, which are wonderfully appointed, have tons of square footage and amazing ocean-front views! The beach is clean and invoting and the ocean is... everything you would expect in Cancun (crystal clear with a soft sandy bottom, free of rocks a debris)! A great place to getaway and enjoy Cancun, without the pace of the nearby large resorts.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2015

The pros: GREEEAT LOCATION! The view of the beach from this hotel is something you'll remember for a lifetime. The different shades of blue on the sea look like a kid drew them with a permanent marker. Moreover, the hotel is just a 10 minute walk away from La Isla shopping mall which offers lots and lots of restaurants, cafes and shoppings attractions all in a tropical beach themed setting!! That was definitely a big plus. Other big pro, the service. The hotel staff are just very friendly and extremely helpful !!! You could also feel that their kindness was genuine and natural (like they're not just after a tip or something)

The Cons: Just DO NOT try the hotel's food! For any reason whatsoever. You may get sick!!! The only item you may like at Breakfast is their yogurt that you can top with granola, coconut flakes and cereals. Other than that, I repeat, do NOT order their food. There's actually a small local restaurant right outside the hotel that serves really good food.

Room Tip: Rooms with Ocean view are great but the Lagoon view is not bad either (view of Kukulkan Blvd and par...
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2015

We stayed at Mia Cancun on the last night of a 9-day trip to the Mayan Riviera. If it were the first night of the trip, we may have changed our plans and spent the entire time here! The staff were all very friendly, Juan Carlos, Henry, Sim and the rest were top-notch and willing to help make our short stay as nice as possible.
Our room was on the top floor - no elevator - and after more than a week of vacation over-eating, the short climb was welcome.
Juan Carlos showed us to our room, complete with fridge, coffee pot, toaster and sink. The bedroom was very large, bright and airy, air conditioned and a ceiling fan. One side of the room was a huge 8 foot by 8 foot window, opening onto a private balcony with Jacuzzi tub overlooking the busy main street and the Cancun lagoon.
On the other side of the bedroom was another 8-foot glass wall opening to another private balcony overlooking the small pool, beach and the beautiful blue ocean.
Mia Cancun is not a brand-new, marble and glass resort with no soul, but a smaller (20+ rooms), older place with a real family look-and-feel. It is obvious the staff take pride in their hotel and it shows in the personal touch.
Breakfast was included in the small dining room with about ten tables, just above the pool and a great view of the beach. The small pool with wonderful tile-work includes a small swim-up bar, access to the beach, and there are about two dozen lounge chairs, a few umbrellas and small tables on the beach as well.
We will be back, and can highly recommend Mia Cancun if you are looking for a budget hotel that shows some signs of age, with a helpful and friendly staff and great beach access.
Oh, and the little restaurant next door on the street was wonderful as well if you are looking for authentic, Mexican food.

Room Tip: It looks like many rooms have beach views and balconies, most look like they also have a view of the...
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple

Been to Mia Cancun? Share your experiences!