“Awesome Trip” 4 of 5 stars
Review of NYX Hotel Cancun

You added NYX Hotel Cancun to your Saves list
NYX Hotel Cancun
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Boulevard Kukulcan, Km 11.5, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Ranked #82 of 178 Hotels in Cancun
Denton, Texas, United States
“Awesome Trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014

We own a timeshare at the NYX. We have had it since it was The Avalon Grand. I was worried about the stay since it has been a rather eventful purchase. The front desk personnel is friendly and attentive. The waitstaff was good but still had room for improvement. I would really like to see more of the waitstaff attend to the guest by the beach. I saw them mainly around the pool area and seldom saw them by the beach. Alberto in housekeeping was excellent. Our room was maintained very clean. I would highly recommend the all inclusive. The food and beverages are well worth the price. The hotel since being bought out is slowly improving the premises. I hope it will continue to upgrade the rooms as they have not been renovated since the property first opened. I know it takes time and I hope the owners listen to our voice. Keeping on making improvements NYX and the people will come. Overall great trip and I was happy with my stay.

Liz Villarreal

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
GerenciaNYX, Director de Relaciones Públicas at NYX Hotel Cancun, responded to this review, September 1, 2014
Hola Elizabeth!

Greetins from Sunny Mexico!

First of all Thank you, for having taken the time to share your last experience with us, at NYX Hotel Cancún. We're deeply pleased to read that you've noticed our improvements as from the previous administration, and that you find them to be quite positive as I read.

We´re proud of the work we're doing and we´re proud of the Staff that's helping us get the work done, we´ll keep on improving the hard work.

And yes, we'll soon start the renovation process for the rooms, hope they're completed by the time you return.

Best regards!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

The Good:

Steps leading to lobby are ok (good workout!) (ramp available and busboys can help). My family is pretty fit so it didn't bother us at all.
Stairs to and from room were ok.
Lobby is quite modern and chic with comfy couches.
Views of the beach and ocean are incredible!
Proximity to ocean- less than 30 second walk!
Waves great for body surfing!
Silky soft sand! We have been to 5 star resorts whose sand was full of rocks. NYX had great sand and a good volleyball court (with net bottom worn to shreds) with lines (better than any court in any 5 star hotel we have visited).
Room was old but very spacious with new fixtures (sink, wall decor, wall sconces for lights)
Lots of closet space.
2 small flat TVs are ok.
2 washrooms w hair dryer (But Only 1 shower)
Balcony had old, cheap plastic furniture but view is so awesome that you can overlook the furniture.
Pool near lobby is quiet and Cool. Billiards table costs $1.
Hot tubs are great for relaxing and the posted rules are absolutely hilarious!
Resort next door is grand and beautiful and we can hear music and watch their shows at night (free party!)
Activity guy is cool and fun (When He is not hitting On Girls)
The blue towels at The beach are Nice.
Walking distance to isla mall (10-15 min...we walk pretty fast) and another small mall (2 -5 min walk) where the Outback Steakhouse is located.

The Bad: Front reception was not overly welcoming maybe because it was late at night and they were tired.
The room was supposed to sleep 4 but only slept 2. There was 1 bed and a small love seat couch. My poor son had to put the couch pillows on the floor to sleep.
Fridge was tiny (I barely fit 5L worth of water bottles) and there was no freezer. It also only kept drinks barely above room temperature.
The restaurant had few meals under 150 pesos ($15 approx)
Small Bottled water (300 ml) is $3 (expensive!) ...for almost the same price you can walk to the flamingo mall convenience store and buy 4L for $4
Restaurant will let you refill your water bottles free Only one time during your stay! I alone drink 3-5 L per day on vacation!
The restaurant will provide you with water 1x then u pay (free ice). We ended up getting water from neighboring resorts by playing volleyball and making friends along the beach.
Wi-fi is brutal but we found a way to get the neighboring resorts' wifi if we were close to it. No wifi in room.

The ugly:
Moldy chair seats
Leaking shower
Grey towels
Rock hard bed (I have never been in so much pain from sleeping: back, arms and hips)
Holes in curtains

You definitely pay for what you get. It's an inexpensive resort with no frills but the sand and views of the horizon are quite breathtaking and you can't beat a 30 second walk to the ocean from the hotel!

• Stayed May 2014
Hola Fabufab!

Greetings from Sunny Mexico!

We wanted to thank you for having taken the time to share your experience with us. Although we didn't get a high rating from you, we do appreciate how objective your review is.

I'll keep an eye on the front desk staff, to make sure I can keep them motivated. The hour shouldnt be an excuse for you not to receive the warmest welcome.

About the fridge, I'm quite curious as to which other hotels you've visited, since, at least we know for sure that, as compared to most hotels within the area, we do not provide a minibar, but a real medium size fridge.

About the water, like in any other hotel, we only provide a couple courtesy bottles in the room upon check in, but, any extra water that you might need does come at an extra cost, like in any other hotel with an European Meal Plan, and in the case of All Inclusive, drinks are included by the glass, not by the bottle.

We'll be soon start a deep renovation process, I hope that the next time you visit the area you consider us again as an option, so that you can see the improvements we'll be making.

Best regards!
Columbus, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

Saved for year's for this vacation and was very disappointed. Majority of staff is very unfriendly. Room was terrible for the price we paid. Ending up going to Walmart for supplies, water, snacks etc. No wash clothes as they don't have any and also no bath tub just shower. Dinner was bland and 1 night two steaks had hair in them. Yes 2 steaks. Very disgusting. Ending up going to different resort to enjoy better food and service. Staff expects big tips even when you purchase the all inclusive package. When we checked in explained we were celebrating both our Anniversary and husband's birthday thought maybe they would do something special. Was told by "Jesus" NO!!!! REALLY?????? Wish we could have received a refund for the terrible vacation we had as we are not rich people and feel like we should have just flushed the money down the toilet. Too much of a bad experience to keep going on.

Room Tip: There is no good room.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
GerenciaNYX, Director de Relaciones Públicas at NYX Hotel Cancun, responded to this review, August 25, 2014
Hola John!

Greetings from Sunny Mexico. I'm sorry to read your time at NYX Hotel Cancun, apparently was not up to your expectations. I'd like to go through all the details you point out, to better understand what could have happened.

I'm quite curious as to what your expectations were about the room since we know by comments from other guests, and from travel agents that work with other hotels within the area, that are rooms are some of the largest rooms in the area. And they do come with all that is necessary for a pleasant stay.

You mentioned you have to go to Walmart for supplies, which could have been by your own choice. We do have at our premises a convenience store that is located right behind our front desk, and there you can get water, snacks etc. If you complain is about us not providing for this and you having to buy it yourself, then the case is different. Any all inclusive hotel, at least whitin the area, doesn´t provide snacks or supplies, we provide food and beverages within the bars and restaurants. Where to get them, is completely your choice.

We do have washclothes, they are left in your room, at your arrival, and are replaced everytime you request it. No bath tub just shower? That is correct, if you go through all our website, or any major travel agent online that offer our service, we do not advertise, promote, mention, or even give the idea to confuse people that we have bath tubs, we do not, and we are not advertised like that, so, we can't provide a service that we do not have and that we never promised to deliver.

We are sorry if the quality of our food was not up to your taste. We're a very humble 4 star property, and our meal experience is in proportion. About the hair I'm quite curious as to how it could have happened since our staff, as you can see since our kitchen at Deck restaurant is open, always wear a hair catching net and a cooking hat on top of it, so the chances for hair to get to the food is very rare, but, does not mean it could't happen, so we´ll keep a close watch.

About tipping, that is actually included within the All Inclusive package, so the Staff, does not necessarily expects to be tipped when this has been purchased, but it is appreciated if an outstanding service was delivered, just like anywhere else, but if service didn´t live up to your expectations, you are not forced to tip.

About your Anniversary and birthday, ¿did you bring any proof of this? We can have certain attentions, but they're subject to our availability and criteria, after having verified the request.

I'm sorry you had a bad time, but, unfortunately it was due to false expectations that could have been set in you by a poor selling process from your travel agent, if you used one, or by not having properly read the services you signed up for.

In NYX Hotel Cancún we deliver what we offer, but can´t be blamed for not providing services or amenities that we never offered or advertised as part of our packages.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

On the first day we were supposed to get a ocean view we got a wall view !! No washcloths . I got a 5 inch hair in my steak if you don't tip 10 or 20 bucks they screw with your food. My father got hair in his food to. No English but they know how to say tippy tippy tippy they think we don't work hard! The resort next door beach palace is recommended . There is a guy named Jesus should be fired for being mentioned and made us pay extra for a beach view

Thanks for reading

Bobby brown

• Stayed August 2014
Hola Raygun,

We are sorry to read that apparently we didn´t meet your expectations. I'd like to go through all your review to try to better understand what could have happened.

The reservation you originally made was in one of our lowest categories, that was why the rate you paid was so low, and those categories, just like in any other hotel in the world, do not necessarily come with a view, or the best view of the property, just like in your case. During your reservation process, you made a request for an Ocean View, we received it, but it was nothing more that just a request, and we're not obliged to honor those requests. We made our business from selling rooms, and we can't be giving out for free or business, people who pay for an upper category, that comes with an ocean view are the ones that will get an ocean view. I'm sorry if you felt you didn't have to pay for the upgrade, but that is the rule here in and in pretty much any service, like airlines, or restaurants, when you want something of a category higher as of what you have requested, the difference will have to be covered.

About your food situations I'll be keeping a close eye to my kitchen staff, but, as you could see by yourself, since our kitchen at the Deck Restaurant is open, all our cooking staff uses a hat that holds their hair in, and below the hat they all wear a net that traps hair, and it's meant to be to avoid situations like this. We work with the maximum standards of hygene required by law, but that doesn´t mean we can have situations out of our control. We´ll keep a close watch.

About Jesus, as I have mentioned before, I'm sorry you felt you deserve to get an Ocean View for free, but well, we've already discussed that matter, and Jesus, was doing nothing but his work.

We hope that on your next visit to the area you do consider us again as an option, and for that or any other future travel arrangements that you make, we suggest you to carefully read all the services you're signing up for, in our case, we do deliver everything we offer, but any extra request, as in any other hotel, is subject to availability, and to certain restrictions.

Panama City Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

We chose the all-inclusive amenity and stayed for two weeks. We had a two bedroom, three bath unit for five adults which accommodated us just fine. It is one of the smaller hotels in the Hotel Zone and we liked it for that reason. I am surprised at some of the negative comments I have read from reviewers as we felt that we had excellent service as well as better than average food. Of special note was the chef's willingness to prepare items in the evening that were not listed on the all-inclusive menu. Manuel Valdez, Beverage and Food Manager was especially helpful as well as Eleuterio Deloya and Nallely Perez, the servers who most often helped us.
This is not a five star hotel and thus we did not expect food or service one may have at such a facility; perhaps that is one reason why we enjoyed our stay so much.
The main pool was well maintained and the landscaping on the beach was lovely. We used the bus on two occasions (bus-stop just a block away) to go into town for shopping. What a bargain! $1.00 US. No one should pass up a chance to ride on a bus in Cancun as it is an experience of a life time.
All in all, I hope I have given some helpful advice about the hotel. By the way, the hotel changed hands in the not to distant past and the new owners are planning a huge room renovation.
As a final comment, Francisco, (sorry but I do not remember his last name) was available and helpful in answering any questions we may have had.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Hola Rosemarie!

We are delighted to read such positive impressions from your stay at our gorgeous NYX Hotel Cancun. We will keep on the hard work and we hope that on your next visits to the area, you consider us as your number 1 option.

Brasilia, DF
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

Good location, but the room had a moldy smell. The room very shield at night for lack of lighting, only two lamps. No room service, we had to go out on the street at 1 am in the morning because there wasn't any bottled water available for the guests. One morning, the maid knocked insistently on the door at 8:30 to tidy the room! we were sleeping and woke up frightened with that attitude! really unforgivable!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
GerenciaNYX, Director de Relaciones Públicas at NYX Hotel Cancun, responded to this review, August 15, 2014
Hola Elizabete!

We thank you for having taken the time to share your experience at NYX Hotel Cancún. We indeed to have an amazing location, with a fantastic beach of which we are extremely proud.

I have taken note of your lighting recommendation, and we will consider it for our next rooms renewal.

About your situation with the water, we do provide some bottled water upon arrival in the rooms, and have a store that works from 7am through 11pm, 16 hours in a role, without a lunch break so that guests can plan their shopping, considering its conveniently located in the lobby, and avoid situations like the one you went through.

We do have room service, but like most Non All Inclusive hotels, it offers service during day time. which in our case is from 7am through 12pm.

I have already talked to my House Keeping manager about the door knocking situation, we also thank you for bringing this to our attention. We'll reinforce our procedures with the maids, but, to avoid being awaken at a time that you do not consider appropriate, I suggest you to place the "Do not Disturb" tag that almost every hotel provides, in our case, we place it in the inside door knob, it is placed there for your convenience, and to respect your sleep.

We hope you consider us during your next visit to Cancún. We'll be more than happy to try to correct what ever wrong idea you might have of us.

Indiahoma, Oklahoma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

I stayed from July 22-July 25 2014. We reserved a room with a KING bed, a balcony and breakfast.

Rooms,.. old (not sure where the newly remodeled ones they talked about on their web site were but the TWO i stayed in were certainly not that. Yes I did say TWO. We reserved a room with a KING sized bed and a balcony. The first night I got a double bed and a view of a wall through a high window. The bathroom did not have ANY towels or wash cloths of any sort. The "kitchen" did not have any sort of towels either paper or dish even though they had a sink. The hairdryer was SCARY!! It had one burnt through on one side of it. The next morning we went tot the desk and told them what we had reserved. They said they were full but would see what they could do. The second room was better. It had a balcony. It looked out to the same wall but at least you could step out on the balcony and see the beach and ocean. Still never got the KING bed. I did get ONE bath towel but no wash cloths or dish towels for the kitchen.

The beach area was great. Although I found it strange that they wanted to charge us for the use of the umbrellas and beach beds on the property!

The Pools....They were very acceptable. But they were HOT!!!! A little cool water would certainly make them more bearable.

The restaurant was very good. We had fajitas at one meal and they were great! Another evening we had their "special" It was a seafood marinara pasta dish for 130 pesos. It was great as well. One of my last meals there was a fish sandwich "baguette" as they called it. It was 165 pesos. Certainly for the taste I would stick with the pasta.

We ate breakfast there only one morning. It was just okay at best. Their scrambled eggs were plain. The "sausage" looked more like a Vienna sausage.

When we were checking out they said there was an outstanding charge on our account for 840 pesos. We asked what it was for and they said the breakfast! They said it wasn't included with our room. We said it said it on the website but since we couldn't prove it we paid the bill. I will say though that we made the reservation through "Hotel Club" so the breakfast charge could be a problem with the web site and not the hotel

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
GerenciaNYX, Director de Relaciones Públicas at NYX Hotel Cancun, responded to this review, August 2, 2014
Hola!

Thank you for having taken the time to share your experience at NYX Hotel Cancun. We're sorry about the lack of towels in the bathroom, we will be reinforcing our housekeeping standards. About the "kitchen", be aware that no where in our sales channels we advertise our rooms as equipped with a kitchen, that's why they don't have a kitchen, it just a sink. Dishes and paper towels are available upon request, but, since we do not provide a kitchen, they're not located by default in the room.

We'll be checking the condition of all our hairdryers, thanks for pointing this out. We hope you consider us for your next vacations.