“Hotel NYX - Avalon Grand June 2013” 4 of 5 stars
Review of NYX Hotel Cancun

You added NYX Hotel Cancun to your Saves list
NYX Hotel Cancun
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Boulevard Kukulcan, Km 11.5, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Ranked #79 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Poquoson
“Hotel NYX - Avalon Grand June 2013”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

I stayed at the Avalon Grand (Hotel NYX) June 8 – 15th. Being a timeshare owner I was disappointed that we can no longer stay at the Avalon Reef Club on Isla Mujeres. I was in Cancun to attend my friend’s graduation from Universidad del Caribe. Overall the property appeared to be the same as I remember from my last visit in 2009. I noticed some workers painting the outside of the building – it was a terrible yellow color with blue trim. Definitely gonna stand out! The studio I had was on the pool level so I didn’t have to navigate a bunch of steps. The room was huge. The bed was fine and all the linens were clean and in good shape. AC worked like a charm with no leaking or loud noises. The mini kitchen had a working microwave, blender and toaster but they only provided 4 coffee cups and 4 drinking glasses. No plates or utensils were included in the room. The shower had hot water but I had to wait for about 5 minutes for it to warm up. Once it was warmed up, the water was HOT! I used the complimentary wi-fi each day in the lobby. The inside bar opened at 3 pm each day and service was good. I did not eat at the Avalon so I can’t comment on the food. Tacun, a great little place to eat was just right down the hill from the Avalon. I had tacos al pastor and chilaquiles; great prices, great service and excellent food. The pool and beach at the Avalon was wonderful. The front desk employees were efficient and professional but they could’ve been a little more personable. The only thing I didn’t like was getting one of those stupid wrist bands stuck on my arm for the week. Across the street at the Flamingo Plaza I bought water and supplies. I guess the only thing I could ask for the Avalon to change would be to provide drinking water in the rooms. It was a pain to drag bottles of water from across the street to my room each day. I think the rooms in the hotel part/street side of the property must be in bad shape from reading some posts on here. If you can get a studio or room on the beach side I think you'll be better off.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Aurora, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Avalon Grand Cancun pretty much RUINED the ONLY family vacation I’ve ever taken with my 22 year old son. I’ve been a single mother struggling to get by and after 22 years have finally been able to make this happen. When you first arrive there is a steep drive way and steep stairs up to the lobby. Luckily, at least for when you arrive, the bell hop will bring up your bags. We checked in and we were on the 6th floor with no elevator. Most of the resort does not have elevator access. We get into the room and found awful conditions. First there were small holes in the tile floor and holes in the curtains. My son was on a pull out couch that had a 2 inch mattress that was full of rust, even worse the springs underneath were missing so the mattress was falling through the frame. Outside on the balcony there was a 3 foot tall by 1 foot wide spot of mold and because of the texture on the walls is probably impossible to get off. Then the toilet clogged the first time we used it, this was all within 30 minutes of checking in. That was the final straw.
I went back to the front desk and was visibly upset and not putting up with this room. The gentleman told me I didn’t have to be rude. I was being a little verbose; however I did not cuss or yell which, for most of us would have been the case. Finally they did give me a different room and it was a bit of an upgrade if you can call it that it still had holey floors and curtains and the toilet clogged twice during the week. I was in a studio and they gave me a one bedroom with a better view, the bedroom doesn’t have doors so it’s more like a separate section but I think it’s because the balcony is on the other side of that room.
The entire resort seems to be going under a take-over. When you arrive about 75% of everything is now named “NYX”. There are still some points that have “Avalon Grand” and I’m guessing this is why that resort has a separate website than the other 3 Avalon resorts. Also, the holes in the floor appear to be from remodeling as if there were structures there at some point and removed without repairing the holes in the tiles. There is construction going on outside on the pool deck facing the ocean; it appears they are trying to build a nicer bar/restaurant out on the pool deck/ocean. At no point or at anywhere was any sign posted about the take-over/remodel/construction to let you know they are doing this. I did listen to and watch construction going on during the whole week.
My bed was as hard as a rock, I have back problems and by day 4 I was miserable sleeping. I would turn from side to side to back and could only be comfortable for a short time before my back or hips began to hurt. I paid for it every morning too when waking with my back killing me. Also, the only restaurant on site opens at 7 AM and closes at 11 AM and does not open again until 7 PM for dinner. This causes a few problems. First you are out of luck for lunch other than ordering from the bar on the pool deck. Which was okay, until the 2nd time I used that and it took 1.5 hours to get my food. I ordered fajitas with no peppers, they brought it an hour and a half later and it had peppers. He proceeded to tell me they are not “spicy” which is not the problem as I like spicy foods just hate the taste of bell peppers, so I send it back and it takes another 30 minutes to get the right order. My son ordered the “chihuahua” hot dog at the same time and the menu says it has bacon and cheese on it, they totally forgot his order at all. So going on hour 2 he finally brought the hot dog but it has guacamole lettuce and some other weird things but no cheese or bacon, so he sends it back again. They brought the same hot dog and added bacon, by this time it is another 30 minutes and he was totally disgusted and did not eat it. Another time on the pool deck I was waiting for a waiter to come by (they DO NOT have a swim up bar, not a biggie just a note). I finally saw a waiter pass right in front of my chaise and I said “excuse me can I have a corona” he totally walked right by without even a flinch. I ordered from him plenty of times so I know he speaks English. The other problem is if you schedule a tour they leave at 7 AM and you have to go to the resort next door because the tour buses cannot make it up the steep driveway. If you leave at 7 and the restaurant doesn’t open for breakfast until 7 guess what that means, no breakfast for you. If you walk down to your right after walking out the front lobby doors, past the next resort or 2 there is a small restaurant with a small patio area to eat that has great food at good prices.
Sorry this goes on but you should know all the details. Almost daily you need to exchange money so you go to the front desk that will do this for you. At least half the time they either didn’t have US dollars when you needed them or Pesos when you needed those either. They would say “we don’t have that right now, maybe in an hour”. When I booked tour through their onsite travel desk she did not have change and asked me to go get it for her (across the lobby, maybe 100 feet) which I did and they did not have the proper change.
Also, when you arrive as with most resorts I imagine (mind you, I have stayed at the Royal Sands in Cancun and the Royal Haciendas in Playa Del Carmen with EXCEPTIONAL rooms and service) Avalon asked me if I wanted to set up my room with a card so that when I order things on the resort grounds it would be charged to my room in which to pay in cash or use the card at the end of your stay. So I did; however 95% of the time when I asked to do this they made me feel like a criminal for asking.
We met quite a few people while there and one of them had looked at their in room phone which says something like “For your family and friends to reach you while you’re here please give them this toll free number”. They gave the number to family member to reach her and it did not work. She did complain and sat down with the resort manager who did give her some comps.
Another side note, not related to Avalon but you should know. Avalon is situated very close to 2; shopping malls. Across the street directly to Avalon is the Flamingo Plaza; a small mall with Margaritaville, Bubba Gump, and Pat O’Brien’s. Decent place, many souvenir shops and a couple of what we would consider “convenient stores” as well as some nicer shops with jewelry and other fare. The Farmacia actually has a fair amount of alcohol so we went there to get what we needed in the room. Be AWARE, someone tried to lure my son into buying weed/marijuana by taking him into a back room and started getting really weird. Needless to say we left super quick. The other mall, La Isla, is really Americanized. It has great stores, no real bargains, but also no one hassling you to buy their stuff and plenty of American type restaurants to eat at and a few local as well. You can catch the city bus for about $.50 in US dollars and if you go down the way you will get to a “Flea Market”, this is where you can find all kinds of tchotchke’s, souvenirs, and some nicer items too. But note, EVERYONE and literally dozens upon dozens will call out to you to come into their store or buy their stuff, so this is not for you if you don’t like that hassling.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Guayaquil, Ecuador
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

Was pretty surprise when I found a "cheap" rate hotel in the hotel zone in cancun but after arriving to NYX (new name for Avalon Grand) I knew exactly why was so affordable.
This was our experience:
• Lobby is located in a second floor only accessible by steps from parking area or ground floor which was a inconvenience for us due to our heavy luggage for 3 weeks trip.
• Hotel has 6 buildings but only main building has elevator and not staff ready to help with your luggage, worst if your room is located at 5th floor.
• Front desk staff aren't friendly at all, we arrived late night and didn't inform us regarding an open credit card voucher we must give to hotel for all consumption if you don't give 1000 pesos as deposit you have to pay cash for your meals and drinks.
• Rooms on basic rate or basic room is a dark square with small window 150cmx100cm and facing other walls, small bed and dirty bed linen
• Towels are cheap and very old
• buffet is ok with Mexican food choices
• On the beach there's stylish Balinese beds but you have to pay $26 + your consumption so is always empty beds by the beach
• Only positive point was staff at the swimming pool bar.

We were so surprised to see a Tripadvisor award sing at front desk for the best hotel 2012!! Seriously?!
Won't return or recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed June 2013
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

I expected a little more from the "grand" in the name but this hotel did not live up to my expectations. The food was good but the room was not very clean and there was no free wifi either. The gym is not really a gym, it has a running machine and a bike, that's it. I think with the amount of hotels available in Cancun you can do much better.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
San Ramon, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

stayed here for 1 night. upon arrival, jesus at the front desk informed us that he was upgrading our room to a 1 bedroom with ocean view from a studio AT NO COST. thank you jesus! officially. it's the hotel nyx, but everyone still calls it the avalon grand.

Our room was a corner room on the 3rd floor of the southernmost building (3 short flights of stairs)with a huge sliding glass door leading to a private balcony that afforded us great views of the beautiful caribbean up and down the cancun coastline, plus views of the on-site bar, main pool and beach below. good sized room with a comfortable king sized bed. could have used more light in the bathroom, like over the sink.

since we stayed only 1 night, we didn't get to use the facilities, but we did have dinner and buffet breakfast at the bellavista restaurant in the main lobby, which is one of the true highlights of our trip! my gf had flame broiled chicken with rice and sauteed vegetables, which she loved (she's very, very picky), and i had pina colada prawns: 4 oversized prawns served against a bed of rice with sauteed vegetables. the prawns were so fresh and tasty, the rice was way above average, and the mixed vegetables (especially the broccoli, which i normally will not eat) were delicious beyond description! My extreme compliments to the chef!! the breakfast buffet was just as good with fresh tropical fruits, eggs, bacon, sausage, plus made-to-order omelettes, fresh juices and coffee.

a good experience. courteous staff, clean facilities, great food on-site.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

This hotel was just okay. There was 6 woman total on our trip; our room had a master suite with a king size bed for three and a smaller room that slept two plus one pull-out couch. The room wasn't clean upon arrival and in fact there was blood stains on the pull-out couch and bed sheets. Their was only one bathroom for all of us to share . The staff over-all was very friendly however not very good with English so I'd suggest traveling with somneone who speaks the language. Our room was cleaned everyday however the toilet wasn't cleaned once during our week stay. Needless to say, it was filthy in a room of 6 ladies. the hotel does offer Wi-Fi for a fee of $15 USD per day...breakfast is served in the restaurant for $16 USD per person. There is a lounge , a pool with a bar and the beach. The beach is gorgeous and thge staff will take your order right from your chair. There are n0o elevators in the hotel so be prepared to climb up and down steps if your room is higher up. Our room was on the right side but it was like going through am maze to reach our room each day. I'd say overall it wa an OKAY "resort" I much prefer all inclusive resorts but we still had an amazing vacation.

Room Tip: -try to get a rroom near the neighboring resort (beach palace) they offer complimentary wi-fi for 10...