“Incredible Views...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Royal Sands Resort & SPA All Inclusive

You added The Royal Sands Resort & SPA All Inclusive to your Saves list
The Royal Sands Resort & SPA All Inclusive
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Blvd. Kukulcan km 13.5, No. 32, Seccion A, Segunda Etapa | Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
2 Special Price Tours!
Ranked #19 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Incredible Views...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2010

As I am writing this, I'm staring at the ocean and clear sands from my balcony.

Day 3 of the trip and I had to write a review and give back to all those I've read from before. (Note the free wi-fi, nice!). Thomas More picked us up from the airport, make sure you have your travel arranged before you land because if you don't, you'll get bombarded by everyone at the airport who is trying to help you (which means they want to get you transportation and sell you on a timeshare). Upon landing, our luggage was wisked away and we were escorted to our room. We received a call from our personal concierge making sure everything was to our liking. No complaints. In fact, we have 9 adults and 2 infants with us and before we arrived we had rooms in two different buildings. We requested rooms next to each other, which they could not guarantee. Upon arriving, they worked it out and we had two rooms, with great views of the pool and the ocean. We also requested high chairs in the room and when we walked in they were already there.

What else can I say? The staff at the poolside bar are great. Everyone is incredibly friendly, the kind of friendly you always imagined when you take a nice vacation. We went to dinner at Hacienda Sisal. Amazing service from Carlos and amazing food and drinks. We will definitely be going back.

As far as improvements? Well, it's December and today was a bit chilly. Not the resort's fault, more ours. We've been cooking breakfast and lunch and sometimes dinner, so we haven't been to all the restaurants. We did venture out to the sister property (Royal Islander) to eat at Paco's Tacos. AVOID at all cost. At least 3 people in our group are now sick (in less than 12 hours). I can tell you that we'll probably stick to the Hacienda Sisal.

It's right next to the mall, so that was a nice way to kill time when the weather was kinda crummy. Today the weather is going to be a little better, so we plan on spending the morning at the heated pools until the sun fights through the clouds.

Overall, it's been a great vacation, despite the weather. Thanks Royal Sands. Now just make sure you fix the food at the Royal Islander. That really was a bummer (and now we're paying for it).

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Camilo_Royal_Resorts, Royal Resorts Community Manager at The Royal Sands Resort & SPA All Inclusive, responded to this review, April 18, 2011
Dear Royal Resorts Valued Guest:

Thank you for taking a moment of your valuable time to write your review. Your comments are very important and help us serve you better.

I appreciate the time and effort you took to write such a detailed review of your stay at The Royal Sands. This will surely help other travelers know about the quality of service and facilities they can expect when visiting
the Royal Resorts.

I'm very sorry to read about your food incident at Paco's Tacos. Rest assured I'll be personally reporting this to management.

I hope you return to enjoy the Royal Resorts soon. Until then, please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

Royal Resorts Community Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (562)
  • Greek first
new york
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2010

The resort itself is beautiful, with amazing oceanfront views of the blue green ocean. the staff is friendly and helpful and the food is not bad, given the limited choices.

the negatives: no one told me at the time of booking that if you have a saturday night stay, you have to change rooms. even though i requested numerous times to try to stay in one room since i had a 1 year old with me, this could not be changed. we were moved to a room that wasn't cleaned before we got there, and had to wait 2 hours before someone came to clean the place.
when my parents left early in the morning for their flight, someone called my room and woke me up at 3:30am to make sure that i would take care of the entire bill - as if they were trying to leave without paying the bill. this annoyed me to no end. i cannot understand their rationale for doing this. they had our credit card on file anyway.

this is a good value place to stay for families, but don't expect 5 star service and don't stay saturday night!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Dear Royal Resorts Valued Guest:

I'm glad to read you enjoyed your stay at The Royal Sands. Thank you for the kind comments about our resort facilities and staff.

The saturday change is always mentioned in our online booking process, however, if you booked your stay through a third party such as Expedia, they do not mention it. I have passed your comments to management to make sure this is always mentioned to guests upon arrival at front desk.

san diego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2010 via mobile

I'm actually in the middle of my visit right now. This is a nice place, but not the place to come if you're looking for a cultural or even remotely Mexican vacation. Might as well be any big city by the beach in America. Filled with Americans, no need to speak a lick of Spanish here! Hamburgers and chicken fingers are the mist common menu item, I havnt found a good taco anywhere near this place! And the prices..... Also authentically American...... Those chicken fingers and hamburgers will cost you over 10 bucks a pop, and my bottle of American made water on the beach today cost me 10 bucks as well. Room is clean, not anything worth mentioning but nice. Friendly staff but be ready to tip! You HAVE to give them a credit card when you check in so they can charge everything you do at the resort directly onto your room key which is connected to that card. So be sure you ask how much before you swipe away..... They Also have a small grocery store on site, but you guessed it.... American food at twice to three times the price. I got a smokin deal buying someones week off eBay, otherwise unless you have a bottomless wallet look around! Also, the location is not central to the hotel zone so if you're looking to be in on the action you'll need to cab it or take the bus. No grocery stores within walking distance but there are two malls close by.

• Stayed November 2010
Camilo_Royal_Resorts, Royal Resorts Community Manager at The Royal Sands Resort & SPA All Inclusive, responded to this review, April 13, 2011
Dear Royal Resorts Valued Guest:

Thanks for the comments about the resort facilities. I'm sorry you didn't liked most things to be American-oriented, but you have to keep in mind that more than 90% of the tourists that visit Cancun are American, hence it is natural for this to happen.

The Royal Sands is at walking distance from 2 of the biggest malls in Cancun; for all else, you can easily catch public transportation. If you come back, please let me know in advance so I can give you more tips for your stay.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

kansas city area
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2010

Stayed Oct 30 through Nov 6, 2010--used a bonus week with Interval International and got a 2 bedroom, 2 bath with a full kitchen, living room, balcony overlooking the ocean. Our room was E5515, in phase 2 on top of the lobby, market, etc. Was an excellent location with full-on water view, easy access to market. We watched the sunrise every morning, and from the open walkway in the back of our rooms, we watched the sunset!

The rooms were clean with big closets, balconies, comfortable furniture. Staff was very accomodating and service-oriented. Beach was excellent, clean sand with lots of palapas for shade, though in higher season, it might be hard to find a palapa on the beach. The adult pool was beautiful, and had lots of sun or shade options, comfortable chairs for sitting at a table or lounging in or out of water. Had a lap pool (volleyball pool during the afternoon!) and a swimpool. Food and drink service at the pool and on the beach was excellent--just put out your blue flag when you want something. You use your room card to charge everything at the resort, though cash tips are appreciated, as I believe the charged tips are split with the resort 60/40. The water could be rough some, but we swam most days there. Lifeguard on duty. And the water color was beautiful carribean blues!!

The resort looks large, but it was very easy to get around, and if staying on "adult" side in phase 2, everything you need is easy. Very accomodating for wheelchair access, even a wheelchair access palapa on the beach! I believe you can rent wheelchairs at the resort. Had clean bathrooms on the beach and by the pool; nice beach towels available.

The food and food choices were actually quite good and fairly priced. There is a soup and salad bar always at the restaurant there, and cheese quesidillas---even as a vegetarian, I always felt as though I had choices. The low-carb folks in our group had lots of splenda margharitas! The market had a good selection of food and drink, and prices were not bad--$1 for a diet coke. We bought milk and such and had breakfast in the room each day, which was a nice way to watch the sunrise! For a week of food and drink (and lots of drinks on the beach!) our food bill was about $500 for two of us. We ate at the Veranda and Sisal and both were good, though I liked the Veranda better for food. Sisal is a bit more upscale and nice atmosphere. For those who want something more, there is a Ruth's Chris Steakhouse a 5 minute walk from the resort! We brought some nice bottles of wine in a suitcase and had that to enjoy!

We found the beds to be comfortable and they were upgrading the ones that needed it. There is free wireless internet if you have a computer, or you can pay for it in the market.

One of our group took a dive trip though the resort. She said the divemaster was very experienced, did a great job and even shared his regulator some so she could stay down longer. For one person who got seasick, they sent a boat to come and get her right away. She said they helped with the equipment and overall did a great job.

The security at the resort was also good. They walked the beach, made sure people selling their things did not bother guests too much, and if a vendor stayed too long with someone, security walked by to be sure the guest was really interested and not just being pestered. If you are not interested, a "Gracias, no" was usually enough.

When you use your room card to charge everything, the bill comes with each person's charges separate. This was a great help to us, as there were four of us and each couple knew which charges were theirs.

We did not do the membership talk. They were offering no compensation for doing so, and since we knew we did not want to buy, why use our vacation to listen to them? We were surprised there was no compensation for the time request.

Negatives? It can be hard to get change for bills if you want to tip someone or want cab fare. Take lots of 5's and ones! Otherwise, for the price and beach and water and service and convenience.....we loved it.

We went to the Royal Cancun one day---it was much more low-key, so if you want really safe swimming, it might be an option. Security asked our room number when we left Royal Sands and called ahead to the other Royal Resort to look for us and allow us on property since we were staying at another Royal Resort.

Workout facility was very nice and had most of what you might want. Very clean!

We all really liked the Royal Sands, and would go back!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

the Royal Resorts.

Thanks for all the kind comments towards the resort and our staff; it is our top priority to always provide clean and safe facilities to members and guests as well as a warm, quality service by staff members.

Vienna, Austria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2010

The Royal Sands is a great big hotel in Cancuns hotel area.
The room is clean and nice, even with a microwave and a coffee maker. Free highspeed WiFi, 3 big Pools, a Spa, Tennis courts, gym, etc. everything you could possibly need or want.
Even a little supermarket within the hotel.
The receptionist is helpful and friendly and the bell boy can even give you tips for cheap restaurants outside the hotel, if you want to safe money.
Unfortunately, I was put in a room where construction work was going on nearby, so it was very noisy during the daytime otherwise I would have extended my stay.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
Dear Royal Resorts Valued Guest:

I'm glad to read that you enjoyed staying at The Royal Sands and all the different amenities we have to offer to our members and guests.

I'm sorry to read about the construction noise. Let me know in advance next time you plan to visit, so we can make sure to accomodate you better.

New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2010

Solid resort in all ways. Could add better restaurant choices, but in Cancun it isn't all that necessary. Beach restoration (which is going to deteriorate since you cannot beat Mother Nature) was excellent- As long as the beach was back in the early 2000's.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
Dear Royal Resorts Valued Guest:

I'm glad to read that you enjoyed your stay at The Royal Sands and the restored beaches.

Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2010

We just got back to Minnesota from a quick trip to The Royal Sands/Cancun. My wife and I went to Cancun with our 2 year old son and 5 month old daughter. The hotel had the cribs and a booster chair in our room when we arrived. The kiddie pool was perfect and the service was terrific. The hotel had a market in the hotel which had a large selection of food/drinks at very reasonable prices.

We rented a one-bedroom ocean front room. The balcony was terrific and the entire trip was great. Thank you very much!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Camilo_Royal_Resorts, Royal Resorts Community Manager at The Royal Sands Resort & SPA All Inclusive, responded to this review, April 11, 2011
Dear Royal Resorts Valued Guest:

I'm very happy to read that you enjoyed some quality family time at The Royal Sands. Should you need anything else for your family, just let us know before coming down next time and we'll provide it for you.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

Royal Resorts Community Manager

Been to The Royal Sands Resort & SPA All Inclusive? Share your experiences!