My husband, my 14 month and I just recently returned from this resort.
since the birth of our son, we've had to really had to shop around, we no longer base our vacations on luxury... having said that, this resort was overall nice. the furniture was dated, the sofas smelled funny (i'm guessing from all the guests that sit there either butt naked or in their wet bathing suits). the kitchen was also dated, but usable. we own a timeshare in cabo san lucas and have been to at least 4 different resorts in cancun that had a kitchen. this is the only resort who did not provide us dish soap or paper towels frree of charge (and of course, the one time i did not bring our own stuff).
I have always been very picky about where we go and stay. I'll be honest, we were escorted to the other end of the resort upon checkin - which was dead. so my first reaction was "crap". then we arrived to our room which i thought was very out-dated - showers had curtains and smelled funny, towels were thin, kleenex wasn't refilled, vanities were old. there were times they did NOT restock our fridge with the beers and/or sodas and/or waters. one night we called 5 times, and we got nothing. they kept telling us someone would call us or let me transfer you to so and so.... eh. after 6pm we gave up. oh - beds were super soft. we like firmer beds... ours was way soft and lumpy. thankfully we had double beds and i just took one bed and slept diagonally... which because i travel so much have learned is a good trick since mattresses are not often flipped over.
i titled this resort as a "nice experience" because the food was incredible. lunch and dinners, that is (as well as the restuarant off the property call Sisal, don't go to the show though, i've heard nothing but bad reviews). breakfast was pretty much the same stuff for the 5 days we were there... but it didn't matter because i would go out and order food at the beach. i have to say their room service is pretty quick. we ordered personal pizzas maybe 3 times during our stay and it was delivered within 30 min along with some drinks.
the beach was amazing. their kids pool didn't have any activities or fun things for them to play on, which is fine i guess. this is the only resort we've also stayed at without a washing maching/dryer.
having put all my grievances out there, we will be back now that i know what to expect.
beaches - fantabulous
service - i'd rate this as hot and cold. if you asked for water, sometimes you'd get it right away, sometimes you'd have to get up and get it yourself.
food (lunch and dinner) - two thumbs up - we mostly ate at the buffet or sisal's/
decor - eh
friendliness - good (i say good because no one really went out of their way to be extra nice)
oh, one more thing, even tho we were able to book this vacation through an agent using an american express, the hotel does not accept american express.
but for the money we spent here, it worked out great! - however, we may consider the villa next time.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- With a breathtaking beach location, a world-class Spa, tempting dining choices and activities for all ages, The Royal Sands has everything you need for a week of Royal relaxation.The Royal Sands® sits at the center of Cancun’s spectacular Caribbean shoreline with breathtaking views of white sand and turquoise waters. Enjoy fine dining, activities and many other creature comforts with the REFINE All-Inclusive package. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your The Royal Sands Resort & SPA All Inclusive reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Royal Sands Hotel Cancun
- Royal Sands Cancun
- Cancun Royal Sands Resort
- Royal Sands Resort Cancun