“Great Stay - Would Return!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Royal Sands

Save Saved
You added The Royal Sands to your Saves list
The Royal Sands
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Blvd. Kukulcan km 13.5, No. 32, Seccion A, Segunda Etapa | Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #27 of 175 hotels in Cancun
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
“Great Stay - Would Return!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

- Week long stay in May '12 using a friend's exchanged time share; 2 bedroom villa in Phase II

My stay here was great and I would definitely return. The room was spacious, clean, and the staff was very professional and friendly. The market downstairs was perfect -- it provided almost all of our groceries and drinks.(We did venture to WalMart for a bigger selection--the bus ride there was a little long, though.) We tried the hotel's restaurant (awesome quesadillas & wings) and the Mexican restaurant right in front of the Royal Sands (delicious fajitas). Both of the property's pools are gorgeous and relaxing, and the views of the beach are perfect! The drinks at the pool bar weren't THAT great, so I'd suggest spiking them a little (lol). The location is a little ways from downtown, but this gives it a more secluded feel. The bus stop is right outside of the hotel and takes you to all the shopping areas and clubs for only a couple pesos. We booked various activities through the Royal Sand's Sports Desk and had a great time jet skiing, parasailing, driving speedboats & snorkeling.

Sidenote: Phase II's lobby had a constant aroma circulating throughout the space, and it smelled soo good! It was very therapeutic during check-in, check-out, and account handling.

A Coco Bongo employee comes around the beach/pool area and registers guests for tickets and roundtrip transportation to the club...if you see her, sign up! We got a nice deal, including open bar, and danced the night away at this Cancun hotspot. We also visited Senor Frogs and a few other bars in the downtown area. Definitely a fun time.

Room Tip: Beach-facing room on the 5th floor provided an unforgettable view
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

1,463 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (414)
  • Greek first
new york
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

There are some pros and cons about the Royal Sands. Overall, I can’t recommend this resort because the all-inclusive food cost is just too high for what you get and outweighs the benefits of the resort.

The pros:
• resort is clean and grounds are manicured.
• rooms are big with nice balconies and views of the ocean.
• two big pools so it’s easy to get a chair in the sun.
• big, clean beach area (although the beach chairs can all fill up).
• well-stocked market on the resort for snacks and beverages.
• near public transportation and the buses are inexpensive.
• on-site travel agency is very convenient.
• health spa is nice (but there is a daily charge to use it).

The cons:
• all-inclusive requirement is too expensive and yet there are still surcharges for some items.
• food is only mediocre despite high prices.
• very few restaurants on site.
• rooms are a little outdated and could use some refurbishing.
• if you get a room far from the lobby you have to walk quite far to get to and from your room (this could be a problem especially if you have kids so ask for a room close to the lobby).
• some other guests complained that their concierges were too pushy, but I personally did not have a problem with our concierge.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Whitecourt, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012 via mobile

The service at the sands is by far the best I've ever seen. Everyone who works there is so willing to please you feel like a queen.
The rooms were beautiful and spotless. The food was delicious. It was close to everything you needed. Prices in the giftshop were reasonable.
Only negative I'd have to say is we got the all inclusive but couldn't have the day specials without paying a surcharge. They had shrimp quiesidillas for special and we had all inclusive and still had to pay. Really wasn't fair.
But I did have a fabulous time.

• Stayed December 2012
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

We have been owners at the Sands since 2005 and although we have a choice to go somewhere else, we always end up here. The combination of the gorgeous beaches of Cancun and the people at the Sands make a total difference in our decision when choosing a location for vacationing. You see, there may be lots of beautiful places to choose from when you vacation, but in reality the five-star service that you get at the Sands is incredible and makes a difference. From the bellboys who greet you, to the maid service, the bar tenders, the activities advisors, the attention to detail is impeccable. What truly tells you about a company is the fact that they are able to keep the people who work for them. We've had our maid (the same one) year after year... Rodolfo our waiter at la Veranda, treats you with the same gracious service... the girls at the activities center are also very kind to our kids. For us, it truly is a no brainer where would we want to go an truly relax every year.
Rooms: Our villa has always been well kept and every year they keep on improving. The beds and pillows are super nice that you truly have a nice rest. The villas are kept very tidy every day. You get maid service every day with the exception of Sunday. For a family or four, like us, the kitchen has everything we need to fix a nice meal. We get our groceries from the market (on site) and can fix anything from breakfast to an elaborated meal. The rooms are spacious with lots of storage. If you buy at the Sands, you also get the option of splitting the use of your villa. The villas accommodate 6. However, if you are not going to be using the 2nd bedroom, you can lock it out and rent it. The 2nd room has a mini fridge, plates, coffee maker and a microwave. It also has a balcony. The master bedroom is very spacious and as mentioned before, that side of the villa comes fully equipped with all the amenities of a private condo. Every single villa has ocean view.
The Food: At La Veranda, everyday they have a different special, however, their a la carte choices are excellent. I particularly love their chicken marsalla. If you don't want to eat at La Veranda, you can go to the other Royal resorts restaurants by simply taking a free Royal Shuttle. They leave approximately every hour to the other resorts. Also, if you want to eat out, you are minutes away (walking distance) to fine restaurants located in the Hotel Zone.
The Spa: where do I start... I had an incredible time there. The sun has to go down at some point, and before you go and venture out into Cancun's night life, you can actually have literally Royal Treatment at a the Spa. The hosts are knowledgeable and depending on your needs and concerns they can build you a package specifically for you. I tried the Lomi Lomi, the Hot Stone massage, got a Vitamin C invigorating facial, and a hydrating wrap... I thank Cecilia, Cristina and Lidia who pampered me while there. All the staff at the Spa, as at the resort, pay attention to detail... they all made sure that I was having the time of my life while there. Next time I will venture and do a 90 minute swedish massage under the stars... This time it was really hard for me to decide between the gorgeous view of the ocean under a "palapa" being tended like royalty or being papered at the Spa.
Concierge: you have your personal concierge who is always finding ways to make your vacation more enjoyable. If you don't need him/her, its also fine. You can just do your thing without anyone interfering in your "me" time. However, if you have not been in Cancun before, they can arrange an array of activities to make the most out of your visit.
In any event, there is a place you can call your "home away from home" at the Royal Sands. It really is!

Room Tip: Villas on Phase II are quieter... I prefer our floor level villa... from there your bar tenders and...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Coconut Creek, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

I am an owner in Florida, and traded my week for the Royal Sands. The place is not lavish, could use updating, but it was nice enough and was very clean. The service all over was excellent, front desk, servers, housekeeping, bellman, everyone.
A personal concierge is assigned to you when you arrive, however beware!! They are really there to convince you to buy their packages. I know the guy had a job to do, but after the third day, we felt were being stalked. (including while laying at the pool)He called on the phone and we did not answer.....he was supposed to make reservations for us and when he did, he came to our room to give us the reservation number which was NOT needed.........basically a ploy to see us, to try again to get us to go to their "presentation". At one point he even said " do this for my kids". We finally had to put the guy in his place and basically tell him to leave us along.
Unless you are an owner there you HAVE to buy the food plan (started in October) and its 740.00 per person......NOT worth it. The drinks although good, were weak....they would not deliver drinks to your room unless it included a food order....how stupid is that ? So we were forced to order food that we had no intention of eating and threw it away...Steaks and some seafood were additional charges, all the food at the Veranda was average, including the breakfast buffet. There are not many restaurants on property to choose from, but they do have restaurants off property to go to, that they shuttle you to and were very good.
The rooms were not very soundproof... I heard toilets flushing and showers running as if they were in my own room.
We did visit the spa, as they had great promotions and we had wraps, massages, facials and foot massages. The Spa, and treatments as well as the staff were ALL wonderful.
If it was not for the sales tactics and the food plan I would go back......but those 2 things made me gave this a thumbs down.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Green Bay, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

We bought a unit in 2005. I have traded my week in the past to see other parts of the world as I have kids and I feel it's important that they experience different parts of it. But every time we go somewhere else we love to come back here. It's quiet and relaxing and if your in the mood to ramp it up it's a quick bus trip down the hotel zone to let it loose. I'm not going to go on about the place as other have taken care of that except for the addition of. If you never seen the place decorated for Christmas with the lights and Christmas tress your missing out. What I did find out out about is the All Inclusive plan. Members and there guest are not and will not be required to purchase it. Also if you are a member and you rent your unit they are also not required to purchase the All Inclusive as they are considered your guest . As i sat down with a person at The Royal Sands he explained this. "As a owner do you think it is fair that others rent units or exchange into units from places with much lower levels of service for the same privileges that you as a owner pay your price for? " This made sense to me as I thought back to before i was a owner and renting weeks for 300 - 500 dollars a week which is much less than the cost of a regular hotel room in Cancun. You know there is a greater value in a location like Cancun because of what you can get for exchanging the lockout portion of your unit anywhere else. Also The Royal Resorts are more afraid of people renting the units at low cost to spring breakers who will just sit around and party and not take care of the place. During week 47 I saw only 3 couple with wristbands marking them as using the all Inclusive.

I feel good right now as to what they are doing with the all inclusive at the Royal sands to keep it as the peaceful slice of family heaven we have currently. I dont know if it solves all problems but it is nice to see they are trying things for us members.

Room Tip: what I have is a ground floor unit in phase II. If you do you can get pool service right on your own...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

We have been owners at the Royal Sands Resort for 8 years and have just returned from two weeks in what we like to refer to as “our little slice of heaven”. Although this was the first month of a new philosophy for the Royal Resorts ( the Refine package, also known as all inclusive) we found very few changes. Of course there will be “bugs” to work out, as with all new ventures, but the staff continues on with their excellent service and happy smiles. They will make this work. The Royal Resorts is in a time of change and rather than be critical we will wait to see how the new plan works and hope for the best. That’s all we’ve ever received from the Royal Resorts, THE BEST.
Our personal concierge, Fernanda, was excellent - helping us with reservations and anything else we needed. Our “host” Marianne went above and beyond in helping us purchase two more weeks, getting us exactly what we wanted to suit our requests and needs.
A final word about the staff at the Royal Resorts. Right down to the staff who care for the pool, they work with a sense of pride and happiness that many of us could learn from. Our housekeepers Elsy and Asuncion took excellent care of us for two weeks and the entire staff at La Verandah are to be commended for carrying on with that wonderful Mexican attitude even though they are on the front line of all the changes. Kudos to the Royal Resorts, “our home away from home” for maintaining that high degree of excellence even in a time of change.

Room Tip: We love Phase 2 - it's a little quieter and there really isn't a bad room.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The Royal Sands? Share your experiences!