“Owner and still glad I own there” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Royal Sands

Save Saved
You added The Royal Sands to your Saves list
The Royal Sands
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Blvd. Kukulcan km 13.5, No. 32, Seccion A, Segunda Etapa | Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #25 of 174 Hotels in Cancun
Green Bay, WI
“Owner and still glad I own there”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

We bought a unit in 2005. I have traded my week in the past to see other parts of the world as I have kids and I feel it's important that they experience different parts of it. But every time we go somewhere else we love to come back here. It's quiet and relaxing and if your in the mood to ramp it up it's a quick bus trip down the hotel zone to let it loose. I'm not going to go on about the place as other have taken care of that except for the addition of. If you never seen the place decorated for Christmas with the lights and Christmas tress your missing out. What I did find out out about is the All Inclusive plan. Members and there guest are not and will not be required to purchase it. Also if you are a member and you rent your unit they are also not required to purchase the All Inclusive as they are considered your guest . As i sat down with a person at The Royal Sands he explained this. "As a owner do you think it is fair that others rent units or exchange into units from places with much lower levels of service for the same privileges that you as a owner pay your price for? " This made sense to me as I thought back to before i was a owner and renting weeks for 300 - 500 dollars a week which is much less than the cost of a regular hotel room in Cancun. You know there is a greater value in a location like Cancun because of what you can get for exchanging the lockout portion of your unit anywhere else. Also The Royal Resorts are more afraid of people renting the units at low cost to spring breakers who will just sit around and party and not take care of the place. During week 47 I saw only 3 couple with wristbands marking them as using the all Inclusive.

I feel good right now as to what they are doing with the all inclusive at the Royal sands to keep it as the peaceful slice of family heaven we have currently. I dont know if it solves all problems but it is nice to see they are trying things for us members.

Room Tip: what I have is a ground floor unit in phase II. If you do you can get pool service right on your own...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (509)
  • Greek first
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

We have been owners at the Royal Sands Resort for 8 years and have just returned from two weeks in what we like to refer to as “our little slice of heaven”. Although this was the first month of a new philosophy for the Royal Resorts ( the Refine package, also known as all inclusive) we found very few changes. Of course there will be “bugs” to work out, as with all new ventures, but the staff continues on with their excellent service and happy smiles. They will make this work. The Royal Resorts is in a time of change and rather than be critical we will wait to see how the new plan works and hope for the best. That’s all we’ve ever received from the Royal Resorts, THE BEST.
Our personal concierge, Fernanda, was excellent - helping us with reservations and anything else we needed. Our “host” Marianne went above and beyond in helping us purchase two more weeks, getting us exactly what we wanted to suit our requests and needs.
A final word about the staff at the Royal Resorts. Right down to the staff who care for the pool, they work with a sense of pride and happiness that many of us could learn from. Our housekeepers Elsy and Asuncion took excellent care of us for two weeks and the entire staff at La Verandah are to be commended for carrying on with that wonderful Mexican attitude even though they are on the front line of all the changes. Kudos to the Royal Resorts, “our home away from home” for maintaining that high degree of excellence even in a time of change.

Room Tip: We love Phase 2 - it's a little quieter and there really isn't a bad room.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

This is one of the best Royal resort chains in Cancun by far! I've stayed at 3 so far and this is the best one yet! It has the Spa and Gym on site (as oppose to the others I've been to). Very Clean and it doesn't take 10-15 mins to hike to our villa from the bus stop, meaning, the front lobby is directly within walking distance from the street. Pool is great and the beach service is awesome! I wouldn't stay at any other resort. I'm not a resort owner but am an International exchange owner and still am treated like one of the owners here!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Pittsfield, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Lets start with things I did not like.
None.
Things I did not care about, - all inclusive option. I don't think it's overpriced for the quality of food and drinks that are served. Some people complain about portion sizes??? It's all inclusive, go stuff yourself till you can't move. Again, too expensive for you? Stay somewhere else. Want first class service,(and believe me I've been places) it is first class, good food, clean rooms, and no obnoxious people around? Pay for it.
Things I loved.
Location, weather, variety of activities, food, friendly and helpful staff.
I've been coming to Royal Sands year after year and I always bring friends and all of them without exception love the place.

Room Tip: If you travel during winter month, north side rooms are sunny, south side is shady after about 9 am...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Kingsville, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

We visited the Royal Sands recently and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We had the opportunity to stay in a villa for the first week of our 2 week stay and thought the accomodations were perfect. The entire villa was very roomy and comfortable and we had a great view! For our second week we rented what is called a "lock out" and were registered as all-inclusive guests. The room was very similar to a motel room. We had plenty of room, a walk-in closet with plenty of room for clothing, a small kitchen area with a mini-fridge (stalked with beverages), microwave and some dishes. The service was excellent, food was very good with plenty of choices and the entire staff was very friendly and helpful. The package was relatively inexpensive considering we were staying at a 5 Star resort. Given that the Royal Sands is mainly a time share resort, at no time did we feel we were treated differently. As well, the hotel is in a great location, close to stores and restaurants. If you are looking for a real treat, try out the Spa as well. We visited it 3 times and thoroughly enjoyed each experience.

Room Tip: There isn't a bad view in the place. The first week we were on the ground floor with an ocean f...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Spent the thanksgiving holiday at the Royal Sands, it is a beautiful resort, very well kept, excellent service, great beach and pool.The have organized activies daily for kids, teens and adults, no pressure to participate. Pool towels are free, just return them every day for clean ones. Food and bars are excellent. You can be as busy as you want, Thomas Moore runs tours for everything you can think of, prices are very fair and the toours are very well organized.

Room Tip: not a bad room, all have a great view. besides I did not go to Cancun to stay in the room.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

The Royal Sands is a beautiful, clean resort with amazing views of the ocean. The rooms are spacious, the maid service is excellent, and the employees are all reliable and friendly. The resort is also well situated: it is close to two malls and public transportation. However, I can only give the resort two stars because of the absurdly overpriced all-inclusive requirement. At $105 day per person, the resort is just not worth it. The food is very mediocre, the portions are small, and there are even surcharges for certain options. Unfortunately, unless the resort removes its all-inclusive policy, I will not be staying at the Royal Sands again. This is too bad because other than the overpriced and lousy food this is a really nice resort that I would have liked to visit again.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Royal Sands? Share your experiences!