“Continued excellence” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Royal Sands

Save Saved
You added The Royal Sands to your Saves list
The Royal Sands
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Blvd. Kukulcan km 13.5, No. 32, Seccion A, Segunda Etapa | Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #27 of 175 hotels in Cancun
Canada
“Continued excellence”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

We have been owners at the Royal Sands Resort for 8 years and have just returned from two weeks in what we like to refer to as “our little slice of heaven”. Although this was the first month of a new philosophy for the Royal Resorts ( the Refine package, also known as all inclusive) we found very few changes. Of course there will be “bugs” to work out, as with all new ventures, but the staff continues on with their excellent service and happy smiles. They will make this work. The Royal Resorts is in a time of change and rather than be critical we will wait to see how the new plan works and hope for the best. That’s all we’ve ever received from the Royal Resorts, THE BEST.
Our personal concierge, Fernanda, was excellent - helping us with reservations and anything else we needed. Our “host” Marianne went above and beyond in helping us purchase two more weeks, getting us exactly what we wanted to suit our requests and needs.
A final word about the staff at the Royal Resorts. Right down to the staff who care for the pool, they work with a sense of pride and happiness that many of us could learn from. Our housekeepers Elsy and Asuncion took excellent care of us for two weeks and the entire staff at La Verandah are to be commended for carrying on with that wonderful Mexican attitude even though they are on the front line of all the changes. Kudos to the Royal Resorts, “our home away from home” for maintaining that high degree of excellence even in a time of change.

Room Tip: We love Phase 2 - it's a little quieter and there really isn't a bad room.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

1,463 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (414)
  • Greek first
Los Angeles, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

This is one of the best Royal resort chains in Cancun by far! I've stayed at 3 so far and this is the best one yet! It has the Spa and Gym on site (as oppose to the others I've been to). Very Clean and it doesn't take 10-15 mins to hike to our villa from the bus stop, meaning, the front lobby is directly within walking distance from the street. Pool is great and the beach service is awesome! I wouldn't stay at any other resort. I'm not a resort owner but am an International exchange owner and still am treated like one of the owners here!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Pittsfield, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Lets start with things I did not like.
None.
Things I did not care about, - all inclusive option. I don't think it's overpriced for the quality of food and drinks that are served. Some people complain about portion sizes??? It's all inclusive, go stuff yourself till you can't move. Again, too expensive for you? Stay somewhere else. Want first class service,(and believe me I've been places) it is first class, good food, clean rooms, and no obnoxious people around? Pay for it.
Things I loved.
Location, weather, variety of activities, food, friendly and helpful staff.
I've been coming to Royal Sands year after year and I always bring friends and all of them without exception love the place.

Room Tip: If you travel during winter month, north side rooms are sunny, south side is shady after about 9 am...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Kingsville, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

We visited the Royal Sands recently and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We had the opportunity to stay in a villa for the first week of our 2 week stay and thought the accomodations were perfect. The entire villa was very roomy and comfortable and we had a great view! For our second week we rented what is called a "lock out" and were registered as all-inclusive guests. The room was very similar to a motel room. We had plenty of room, a walk-in closet with plenty of room for clothing, a small kitchen area with a mini-fridge (stalked with beverages), microwave and some dishes. The service was excellent, food was very good with plenty of choices and the entire staff was very friendly and helpful. The package was relatively inexpensive considering we were staying at a 5 Star resort. Given that the Royal Sands is mainly a time share resort, at no time did we feel we were treated differently. As well, the hotel is in a great location, close to stores and restaurants. If you are looking for a real treat, try out the Spa as well. We visited it 3 times and thoroughly enjoyed each experience.

Room Tip: There isn't a bad view in the place. The first week we were on the ground floor with an ocean f...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Spent the thanksgiving holiday at the Royal Sands, it is a beautiful resort, very well kept, excellent service, great beach and pool.The have organized activies daily for kids, teens and adults, no pressure to participate. Pool towels are free, just return them every day for clean ones. Food and bars are excellent. You can be as busy as you want, Thomas Moore runs tours for everything you can think of, prices are very fair and the toours are very well organized.

Room Tip: not a bad room, all have a great view. besides I did not go to Cancun to stay in the room.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

The Royal Sands is a beautiful, clean resort with amazing views of the ocean. The rooms are spacious, the maid service is excellent, and the employees are all reliable and friendly. The resort is also well situated: it is close to two malls and public transportation. However, I can only give the resort two stars because of the absurdly overpriced all-inclusive requirement. At $105 day per person, the resort is just not worth it. The food is very mediocre, the portions are small, and there are even surcharges for certain options. Unfortunately, unless the resort removes its all-inclusive policy, I will not be staying at the Royal Sands again. This is too bad because other than the overpriced and lousy food this is a really nice resort that I would have liked to visit again.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Hacienda Heights, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Just got back from 13 days of vacation in Cancun and the Riviera Maya. Spent 7 nights at an all-inclusive and 5 nights at The Royal Sands. It was a nice break to not have the all-inclusive after doing it for 7 nights. I really do enjoy cooking some meals and then eating out some of the time. I booked my unit back in June so I wasn't subjected to the expensive AI option. I am glad I did that as the AI fee was just too much at 105 per person and there just wasn't enough choices for 7 days. I stayed at the El Dorado Royale for 7 nights and they have 7 or 8 restaurants onsite and by the end of the week, we were getting bored already. I think at the Sands, I would have been miserable if I had gone AI. Just my personal opinion. There are way too many great all-inclusive places in Cancun with way more selection in restaurants and probably higher quality. In my opinion, the Sands took a step backwards by implementing AI. What's the point of having a great fully equipped kitchen when you are required to join the AI. That said, it will be my last trip unless their experiment into the all-inclusive fails. I will be keeping my fingers crossed as I do love this resort. I took off the 2 stars due to this. I will be staying at the Westin Lagunamar from now on. I don't think Starwood hotels will be branching into all-inclusive any time soon. They do what they do well and that should be something the Sands ownership should learn to do. Stick to what you are good at!

Now on to the good. It would be unfair for me to just discuss what I didn't like. I want to point out the staff at the Sands were wonderful. You see smiles and hear Hola's all the time. The maids that came in my unit was awesome. She is so detailed that we tipped extra. We didn't try the restaurants onsite due to the bad reviews on food. We ate at the pool bar in Phase II and the food was decent but nothing to write home about. The drinks were well made and tasty. The beach waiters were great too. Always available and courteous.

There are a lot of great restaurants around the area and we took the bus for 8.5 pesos to experience all Cancun had to offer instead of eating at the 2 or 3 restaurants at the resort. If you are staying at the Sands, definitely go visit Cenacolo at the Kukulkan plaza next door. It is one of the best Italian restaurants I have ever eaten at. Really authentic with great service!!!

In closing, the resort is clean and beautiful. The sand is white and not rocky. The service is impeccable and all is 5 stars. But now that they are an AI for everyone else besides if you own the timeshare there, they need to be compared to other AI's in the area and that's why I docked them 2 stars. You want to be AI then open more restaurants and have more choices. Have stocked fridge in the rooms. You just don't have what it takes at this time to receive more than 3 stars as the amenities is a basic AI.

Stay if you can if you can avoid AI. It is a wonderful resort!

Room Tip: I think all the rooms have view of the ocean. The ocean front units are awesome but if you are a li...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Royal Sands? Share your experiences!