We just spent a week at the Royal Sands the day the all-inclusive started October 27 through November 3rd. We are not owners and exchanged our week to go there. We first heard about the AI here on trip advisor and followed the link to the Royal Resorts and read about the rules of the AI. It stated that if you booked your trip before July 5th, it was not mandatory for the AI. We printed that out and took it with us. Good thing, because Royal Resorts then changed that date to July 3rd, which was the date we made our exchange. When we checked in they said July 3rd, but since we had the paperwork that originally said July 5th, we didn't have to go all-inclusive! They wanted to keep our copy but we told them to make a copy of it before they got our credit card, which they did and gave us our copy back. If anyone booked between July 3rd and the 5th, let me know because I will share that copy with anyone that needs it! We go to the Royal Resorts almost once a year, sometimes twice, we love their properties and the staff. Our previous stay was at the Royal Mayan this past December(2011). This time we are not so pleased.
Now, on with the changes! The meal portions went to half, even for the owners and other paying customers, the chicken wings you get 4 when it used to be 10 at the same price. Salads are half the size from what they used to be. If you are all-inclusive and want a beer it is only Corona on tap. We took the shuttle and went to the Royal Mayan and the wings were still 10, salads were normal sized and the prices were the same as the Sands! The waiters at the Sands were telling us that there were all-inclusive people that stayed at the pool bar all day, ate and drank all day and never left a tip. Now, come on, we have have stayed at other all-inclusives and we still tip, and in cash! The resort now accepts people on any sized vacation from various agencies like a 3-4 day package. You can tell who is all-inclusive since they have to wear bracelets, the same color as the towels. People were in the pool until late at night who were very noisy and this was in phase II.
We went to La Distileria and told them about the Sands going AI, and they were very much saddened by this since it would hurt their business also. BTW, we found out that they give a 15% discount to people staying at the Sands.
Imagine as an owner, now that there are all-inclusive people, late night drunks losing their stomachs in the villa on the furniture, who is stuck paying for the improvements? I'm sure it will be an increase in the maintenance fee. At least with people exchanging their resorts to come there, we treat this property as our own resort, with respect because we have to pay our yearly maintenance fees also. We spoke to the manager on duty about how unhappy we were and other people we spoke with, including owners about the changes, and asked who will end up paying for the repairs, we mentioned it would probably end up added to the owners maintenance fee and he just nodded. There were owners that want to now sell out of the Royal Resorts because of these changes!
The Royal Resorts are now saying that the rest of the resorts are planning the AI sometime in 2013. I wish they wouldn't do that because it is going to drag down the resorts along with the local businesses. They are also losing a few valuable customers such as us!
I have been to other timeshare resorts that give you an OPTION of the all-inclusive packages, and at different levels, such as just breakfast only, etc, but to make it mandatory for the food and beverages they give, we will not return. If they change it back to make it an option, we would return, but only at that time.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Royal Sands(R), All-Inclusive, one of the best All-Inclusive resorts in the area, sits at the center of Cancun's spectacular Caribbean shoreline with breathtaking views of white sand and turquoise waters. With a privileged location, five-star luxury, a world-class Spa, tempting dining choices and activities for all ages, The Royal Sands has everything you need for your next Caribbean vacation. Enjoy fine dining, activities and amenities offered by the REFINE All-Inclusive package. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, BookIt.com, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA and Hotels.com so you can book your The Royal Sands Resort & SPA All Inclusive reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Royal Sands Hotel Cancun
- Royal Sands Cancun
- Cancun Royal Sands Resort
- Royal Sands Resort Cancun