The Royal Sands is a beautiful resort located directly on the Caribbean. The Sands is located on the long arm of the 7 (shape of hotel zone).
As always the people of Mexico are very kind and gracious hosts. The concerns of safety is really not an issue in Cancun. The bottom line is you need to be cautious even in your home cities, so if you are stumbling out of a bar at 3AM you are not going to be any more at risk in Cancun than at home!
Wireless internet is part of the package although it is a rather slow speed, but it is free and very convenient for checking in at home.
The resort is well maintained with staff constantly cleaning and working around the resort.
Beach vendors are not allowed into the palapa area unless invited by one of the guests so you don't have to constantly shoo away pesky vendors.
There is a market on site which has all of your essentials including liquor and a small drug store. The prices are a bit higher than the local Wal-Mart but it is convenient for items that you may have run out of at meal times.
As always in Cancun getting around the city is very easy with buses and taxis.
Because of the location there is a fair bit of surf and undertow at different times. This would be a big concern for small children so great care would be required. There are lifeguards and security on the beach until 5 PM each day so there are safeguards for the surf. There are a good number of palapas on the beach although the front row seats begin to disappear after 6 AM, by 7 AM the front row and most of the second rows are gone.
We had meals at both the Captains Cove and the Hacienda Sisal which are part of the Royal chain. Food and service were excellent at both locations. The Hacienda Sisal has shows two nights of the week so ask your concierge which nights are better for the entertainment. At the Captains Cove there are two alligators who will come into the area around the deck to get some food so again find out from the concierge when you are most likely to see the two alligators.
It should be noted, as pointed out in the title, that a recent decision has been made by the Board of Directors whereby all non-owners who rent any part of the villas will be required to purchase an all-inclusive package. In talks with one of the staff members it is going to range up to $150 per day per person. So a couple will spend an extra $1000 per week minimum for a stay plus what ever it cost you to rent. For example we stayed in a full suite for two weeks at a cost of $2800 adding on the minimum all-inclusive for a couple would have added another $2000 for a total of $4800 plus our airfare which is about $900-1000 per person. Unfortunately this is going to make the cost of the Sands uneconomical when compared to an all inclusive vacation. For example a family member stayed at an 5 star All-inclusive resort for $1000 per week per person, which would equate to $4000 for a two week stay.
All in all a beautiful resort, with great staff and an opportunity for a great beach vacation.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- With a breathtaking beach location, a world-class Spa, tempting dining choices and activities for all ages, The Royal Sands has everything you need for a week of Royal relaxation.The Royal Sands® sits at the center of Cancun’s spectacular Caribbean shoreline with breathtaking views of white sand and turquoise waters. Enjoy fine dining, activities and many other creature comforts with the REFINE All-Inclusive package. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, getaroom.com, Despegar.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your The Royal Sands Resort & SPA All Inclusive reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Royal Sands Hotel Cancun
- Royal Sands Cancun
- Cancun Royal Sands Resort
- Royal Sands Resort Cancun