“Great Option in Hotel Zone” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hard Rock Hotel Cancun

You added Hard Rock Hotel Cancun to your Saves list
Hard Rock Hotel Cancun
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Boulevard Kukulcan Km 14.5, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Special Price
CINCO DE MY OH MY-40% OFF
Ranked #15 of 179 Hotels in Cancun
“Great Option in Hotel Zone”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

My family stayed at the Hard Rock in mid-December to celebrate a milestone birthday for my wife. The resort is very clean, modern and has a significant amount of memorabilia (which the kids thought was cool). My wife and I have been to Cancun/Riviera Maya roughly a dozen times over the past several years. The Hard Rock compared very favorably in terms of cost, distance from the airport, pool, beach and staff. The only thing that would keep me away is the noise. Like many other hotel zone options, you have to contend with other guests who like to announce their return from Coco Bongo at 4 am. The week we were there the resort had 40+ kids from South America who made it their mission to scream in the halls from 11pm to 4am. The management needs to control this type of nonsense.

Pros: Food was very good and stacked up well against the Secrets or Excellence resorts. Pool area is very nice and entertainment staff was not overbearing. Location is great--next to JW Marriott and the new Secrets. Resort credits were easy to use on jewelry, excursions, etc. Staff was very friendly and accommodating. Room was clean and modern. They have done a nice job restoring beaches.

Cons: Noise.

Tips: Bring ear plugs (just in case); bring a bunch of $1 bills to tip the staff-- they work hard and don't make much money; bring an insulated mug to keep your cerveza cool in the hot sun; the sub and snorkle trip from Aqua World was worth the $80 in resort credit.

Overall we were very happy with the Hard Rock and would may stay there again in the spring.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Alejandro M, Customer Service Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Cancun, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Hi BengalNut, thank you very much for your awesome review! We appreciate your comments and we look forward to welcome you again next spring and make your trip to Hard Rock Hotel Cancun a true Rockstar experience again. Keep on rockin’!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (810)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

First of all, I love Mexico and travel there about 4-5 times per year. I was fortunate to be at the Hard Rock Cancun for their Grand Opening party in late October. Mostly favoring adult only properties, I was a little sceptical. However, this is a party place for adults. The decor was modern and chic and I really liked the fact that there was a main gathering bar in the lobby with pool tables - very easy to meet others.

The room was large, the beds were comfortable, and the bar and minibar were replenished daily. I also liked the Biosilk bath products, but I believe the Rock Spa products will be used. I've stayed at both Hard Rock Punta Cana and Vallarta, and they are similar in style. Great bathrooms.

Frieda restaurant by the pool was a great lunch time place. And surprisingly cool in the palapa and the food and service were outstanding. Asian restaurant was good too. We tried the Italian restaurant the last night, but perhaps because we were in a rush, it was just okay. Breakfast buffet was outstanding - anything you wanted you could find or they would make it for you. Room service was good too.

Pool and beach are tops. The entertainment staff and music at pool were good too. But I like upbeat dance music, so it was perfect for me.

I guess it also couldn't hurt that I had the pleasure of seeing both FloRida and The GooGoo Dolls in concert, all courtesy of the Hard Rock - they sure know how to throw a party! I felt like a true VIP. Not sure if it's a "family" hotel, I think it caters more to fun couples, singles and groups of friends.

Also to note, I am a travel agent, and actually have made plans to return the first week of February with friends - to return so quickly is not my norm, so I think that's saying something about this property. We enjoyed the good vibe.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Xavier V, Customer Service Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Cancun, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Hi cherylcressman, thank you for your fantastic comments, we loved that you were part of our grand opening party the Goo Goo Dolls and Flo Rida concerts were awesome! And our executive Chef will love to hear your comments about our restaurants. We are looking forward to your next visit in February 2013 to make it unforgettable, here at the Hard Rock Hotel Cancun. TAKE TIME TO BE KIND
Cincinnati
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

I have been a member for 8 years of Palace Resorts, wonderful resorts, service impeccable, spas great, and management shows their face and asks how is your stay to your face. Not this way at Hard Rock Cancun. Watch, you will not see upper management come over and ask how is everything going? As a Diamond member I have yet to get anything done or a reply to my calls or emails. Deisy, concierge, is great. I got in touch with her the day before we were to arrive and she took care of making our confirmation real, and arranged for our private transportation, that comes with our membership. Thank you Deisy! Prior to her I had tried many times to get a response from someone, they would say I'll get back, I'll send it to you, I'll find out, and they never get back. If you are asked to go to a sales meeting, take your money offer, and DON"T become a member at this point. They are not by any means ready. Ask the sales and they will tell you the situation. Don't be fooled by pictures, they look great, but the service behind the membership is awful. I have always had great care and a great vacation for 8 years, but it is the member service behind the resort, that is awful. We had fun at Hard Rock, we meet some great guests, ate some great food, slept good, but that was about it.If you read the review from "starjim" you will see the correct revision of Cancun Palace into Hard Rock, The Diamond - VIP service for members, needs someone to teach them VIP treatment, it is a great area, but one waitress, and the lifeguard will put up an umbrella if you ask, but frowning, heaven help, if you ask it to be moved! The facelift is ok, but internally they need a lot of training. I would say if you get a great special and very special price, then it is worth the go, but it is not a 5 star rated resort. If you are looking for 5 star service, 5 star spa, and 5 star customer service, look somewhere else, unless money is the reason for going to Hard Rock. I recommend that if you are over 45 look somewhere else unless you are a great fan of partying and love to hear music. A lot of the older guests I meet wished they had chosen another place for their vacation. The members were very disappointed. Hard Rock Cancun, it will be a long time before we return, if for only one reason, the customer service that we received or should I say did not receive. starjim I read your complete review and you are right on for every detail. I guess we are the old timers(I don't mean old") that have been here and other Palace Resorts and can see the "lipstick" that was applied. All I would strongly advise is don't pay into the membership! Be advised, unless you have a lot of money and don't care how you are treated afterwards. They just don't have that inside part ready for members!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Hi T J K, thank you for your review, we do apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced during your stay. We have passed your comment to the Management team to prevent this from happening to our valued Members.
Rest assured that we take all of our Members and guests comments with the most importance and based on such, we take the necessary steps to prevent them from reoccurring. Adjustments are being implemented continuously to enable us to keep providing a VIP service to our valued customers.
Nevertheless we invite you to come back soon and give us the opportunity to change any misperception you have towards our service and make you feel like a true Rockstar! We look forward to see you again here at Hard Rock Hotel Cancun.
ALL IS ONE
Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

I was here for travel agent education for Aubree's Travel. I am a graduate of the Cancun Tourism Institute, and was here as an extension of my education from them.

As many of you know, Cancun Palace had just become a Hard Rock resort. My visit landed just a few weeks before their grand opening. Now, having sold Palace resorts for the past 15 years, I am very familiar with their "product" so to say.

First impressions:
Bellman was friendly, welcomed me (no drink) and pointed they way in.
The lobby was fun, but not as much of the wow factor I had expected with Hard Rock.

Check in:

Hands down, the worst check in experience I have ever had. It was around 2pm. There were 2 couples in front of me. At the 45 minutes of waiting mark, I received my first eye contact from one of the two front desk men. I got a "be right with you" nod. About an hour in, I was greeted by the front desk gentleman. I gave him my name. He typed some thing and said "Are you part of the group?" I said, "I am part of the Cancun Tourism Institute group." To which he says, "Oh, you need to go down there to check in" pointing downstairs. I doubt I hid my disappointment. I headed downstairs, came around the corner and there were probably 150 people in line. I choose one of them. This takes another 20 minutes to get to a human. I give him my name, he can't find me. This is when he asks if I am part of the media group. Nope. He then tells me I need to go upstairs (where I had just spent an hour) to check in. I explain to him what has happened, and he asks me to stand aside and he would get back to me as quick as possible, and he did (he was very nice). So at the 90 minute mark, I finally have a key. I get up to my room, open the door, and two people sit up in the bed. AHHHHH!!!! I went straight to concierge this time as I could see there were two people in line at the front desk (AKA 1 hour wait time). It took about 20 more minutes to get the correct room key.

My room:

Very typical Palace Resort room, with 2 comfy beds, huge 2 person whirlpool tub (heavenly), roomy shower, safe, small porch with 2 chairs. My room had a WONDERFUL view of the pools which were almost done, beach and ocean. I could have lived without the huge lady gaga picture, but other than some decorating differences in opinion, the room was just fine.

The food:
The buffet was decent. Of the fine dining, my favorite was the Mexican night. I had the best waitress, and she made the most delicious guacamole I have ever had, right at my table side. Also, everything else she suggested on the menu was wonderful! The banana leaf dinner (the name has escaped me) was exceptional. I didn't really have anything else at this property that stood out. Oh, well...the drinks were good too!

Issues I experienced personally:

Never once during my stay was the mini bar restocked. Each day when I would get back, I would call, they would promise to send someone up, and no one ever came. This is beyond unacceptable for a high end All Inclusive. Also, I only got a breakfast door hanger one out of 4 mornings. Each day I would call and ask for it, no one brought anything. If you asked one employee a specific question, they would give you the wrong answer and then if you asked a few others they would all give a different answer, like they have NO CLUE what is really going on. Also, every night during my stay, there was partying in the halls until 3-4 o'clock in the morning. I spoke to others that said it was the case on their floors also, from 4 different floors. I take no issue with people up partying all night in Cancun. I get it, go crazy. Just don't allow it to happen in the hallways for most of the night. The families there with kids were really unhappy about this. I wouldn't recommend this property for people with small children, it really is adult geared and there are lots of better family properties.q

I always visit with any of the guests willing to talk, and every single one (I would say I spoke to 30-40 traveling parties) were unhappy. The overall consensus was that "this place is really messed up!"

Once I had time to start talking to the other travel agents in my group, just how messed up this property was came into clearer view. One of the other agents waited over 7 hours to get his room key. Many others didn't get their mini bar refilled, rooms cleaned, up all night because of noise etc.

Here is where I am at with this property. This is a merger of two great companies. In any merger, the transition is bumpy. I am hoping I was there for the worst part of the ride. I think once everyone is trained, experienced and knowledgeable, they will have a fun property on their hands. At this point, I will be very picky about who I send here. If the goal is to party and drink nonstop, the guest would perhaps be inebriated enough to miss the places where customer service is lacking. For others, I would give this property a little breathing time to come into its own. Stay in touch with your Destination Specialist travel agent to see how it is coming along. I hope this is helpful, and that you have a blast in Mexico.

PS- I will upload the rest of my photos later, they are on another device.

Room Tip: Splurge for an ocean view - it is a great view!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Hi Aubs-Travel, thank you for your detailed review, we do apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced during your stay, We are truly sorry that you would not recommend us, and for that we want you to know that we work hard in the training and supervision of our staff in order to deliver the best treatment to our valued customers. You can be sure that your remarks on this regards have been shared with our General Management in order to take the corresponding corrective measures to ensure our guests’ satisfaction.
Nonetheless we invite you to come back in the near future to give us the opportunity to change any misperception you have towards our service and make you feel like a true Rockstar! We look forward to see you again here at Hard Rock Hotel Cancun.
LOVE ALL SERVE ALL
Howell, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

This was our return to the HR former Palace property. We have been going here for the past 13 years. We remember the pre-Wilma property and had the misfortune to be there in June during the heavy construction stage for the HR conversion. In a review of that visit I said basically they were putting lipstick on a pig. Well I would take this pig out on a date.

The changes are partly cosmetic and partly physical. The colors of the building are different and actually echo the original Palace browns. They also use blues and the HR symbol and to be honest, the color scheme is confusing. They also did the painting really fast and like the last time they re-did the place after Wilma, they are already going back to patch the spots that are peeling. One place in particular is the wall next to the name Hard Rock on the ocean side. A big white spot is next to the H in the field of brown.

The did a lot of work on the third level, the pool and the lobby. First the lobby. They are using the Marriott, Hilton style of check in. A small counter that can accommodate one person or small group. There are two for check in and two for check out on either side of the main entry. The lobby is heavily decorated with typical HR memorabilia and there is an ornate sitting area with a drum set, up a short 4 steps. Behind that is the lobby bar play area with 2 pool tables and 2 short shuffle board tables. Then there is the lobby bar in the center area with two large sitting areas on either side. An open area separates the bar from the glass wall for the Ipanema restaurant (Brazilian style). There are also sitting areas on either side of the door to this restaurant.

Going out to the pool you get a more comfortable feeling from the use of plantings and palm trees. The palms do change the look of the infinity pool as they grow taller and fill out they will totally interrupt that look. I like the trees. The pool area was completely tiled (it originally was painted). I like the look but found the tile to be a little rough on my feet as the week went on. They did the work quickly and there are already tiles coming loose. They re-did the kiddy section. There are now rocks on either side with platforms for a couple of chairs and a few round tubs. They use this area for special people like honeymooners. The kiddy pool itself now has beds to lie on in the water, also made with tile. They took out a long section of the glass railing at the beach. They put in gardens and that further changes the infinity pool experience.

They seem to have really reduced the number of lounges around the pool and there were definitely more people using the beach then I recall on past trips. There is only one towel location on the right side as the other side is now fully dedicated to the recreation crew. They took out the counter and will set up DJ's and bands under the pavilion on the left side.

There are newly installed sun shades around the pool and third level. They are nice to look at but I didn't think they were very functional. They are still using all of the old lounges and umbrellas which were new after Wilma, but have seen their better days. They have also reduced the number of umbrellas to a precious few. The towels are now several different colors and they are given out in bunches. White then blue then green etc. by the end of the day the pool area looks interesting with the different splashes of color everywhere.

The third floor is a place where they also spent a lot of money on changing the use. There were three spas on this level and a bar on the left and the steak house on the right. The outdoor kitchen for the steak house is still there as is the bar on the left. Each of the spas has been re-tiled to match the pool. The spa where the steak house was now has an open sun shield and those brown lounge chairs. The center spa has the same chairs and they installed a half tube for the kids. They advertise soft drinks for the kids on this level. I never saw anybody at the bar, but did see waitress service providing drinks to the few that were on this level during the day.

The left spa is gone, there is now a double slide and a climbing set in the space. It did rain a few times and I noticed that the water pooled in the old spa, no drainage. I know when I was on this level during the summer that the sun was so hot you had to have an umbrella or you couldn't stay there, so I doubt the kids will use this plastic and metal facility in the daytime.... ouch!

They also removed the concrete and rails along the rooms on this level and put in glass. There is also a door so you can go directly out onto the third floor and access the spas and kids play area. This is a great idea for families using multiple rooms or wanting to use the play areas.

Well enough about the facility.

We arrived at the airport and started to look for our transfer, told to look for On tour, it was not to be seen outside the terminal. We went to the old company and one of those guys led us to the new pick-up spot. The identification was further complicated because they wore shirts that said Sun tour. We waited almost 20 minutes for the van to arrive. We got into the van and had to make the full circuit of all the terminals at the airport for additional pick-ups. This was a first for any transfer we have taken in the past.

Arriving at the HR we were met at the van with cold towels. A nice touch, and then champagne at the check-in. We like the wings so we had to work with the clerk for a change in our accommodation. This was all done without any hassle. We did have to wait a little bit for the room to be inspected after the cleaning.

We liked the location of the room and did have to have the air conditioner fixed. This took two days, first because I reported it to the front desk rather than the Star line. Second the repair guy tried a stop gap measure when a part needed to be replaced. I did complain about the loss of sleep and how long it took and suggested they could put a DVR in the room as a sorry, but never heard anything more from management about that. BTW there was a brand new manager on the property when we were there.

We loved Caio and of course asked for our favorite waiter Juan Luis and had the Duck the first night. We went to Zen on Monday and ate Hibachi, always well done show and food. We ate at the Ipanema (Brazilian style) on Tuesday. While the food was good, my wife Star doesn't really care so much for all that meat. We also ate at the pace they delivered the food which was really fast. I'm sure the experience would have been better had we slowed ourselves down.

Wednesday was at Freda's and they changed the menu up some and we really miss the coconut shrimp which was gone from the menu. We went back to Caio on Thursday and Friday was back at Zen and we were all alone and the restaurant was empty. We had an Hibachi table all to ourselves and added Lobster (used the points at $49/lobster). Saturday we finished at Caio and again added the Lobster.

A big group of conventioneers arrived on Saturday. They set up the entire pool and patio area all day for the out side dinner for this group and they had special entertainment from the impersonators. We were glad at that point that Sunday was our last day as I could already see the Hotel facilities being strained by the extra people.

The Entertainment team was excellent. In the past there were three or four people on the team and my sons always complained that all those buys were interested in was picking up girls. I always found them to be somewhat demeaning to guests in the way they approached their jobs. This group of people were anything but that. My wife and I found them to be personable, fun and caring. They would spend the time with you in learning your likes and dislikes and use that information to help make your stay more fun.

They were also building the team when we arrived. There was a new face each day until they reached 14 people total for the staff. The manager of the group was brand new and he was an older guy and tons of fun. The rest of the people were under 30. This staff was so personable and fun that we actually sat on the entertainment side of the pool for the first time in 13 years. We actually wanted to participate and really enjoyed ourselves more because of them.

We tipped the maid and got new towel animals everyday and found that if we put our green light on when we went to dinner our room was turned down by the time we got back. Seems that little light on the outside of each room has become fairly important regarding things like turn down and maid service. We were very happy with that little trick.

We had a lot of trepidation about returning to the HR after our June experience. We also are not happy that all the old management was fired and most of the staff is brand new. The old Palace "It's my pleasure" is gone and the approach is more American than Mexican. There is rock music 24/7 in the lobby but other areas play a mix of Spanish and American, modern and oldies and you can get away from it on the quiet side of the pool. All in all we were pleased enough to return to this property for another vacation. We just hope as the new management entrenches itself they don't destroy what made this place a prime 5 star location. I know that Palace members will not like the change to Legendary memberships.

Room Tip: Pick something above the 4th floor on the wings. You get a direct elevator to the pool area and it i...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Alejandro M, Customer Service Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Cancun, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Hello starjim, Thank you very much for your great and very detailed review, we are sure many future rockers will benefit from your notes, we are pleased that you found our resort great, from the check-in, greeted by the staff with champagne and face cloths, the restaurants, food, to the check out, that is the true Rockstar experience! And rest assured that your comments will be shared with our management team to continue providing the great service our valued guests have come to expect from us.
Hope we can welcome you again soon here at your favorite stage Hard Rock Hotel Cancun
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

I stayed at the Hard Rock Hotel in Cancun with family just after Halloween for 1 week. Normally I don't bother with reviews but the staff and the overall experience was just terrific. I would like to thank Guadeloupe, our personal concierge, for her genuine hospitality during our stay. I'm not sure I even remember checking in because it was that easy. The hotel is 5 stars and damn near perfect in terms of cleanliness, amenities and service. The resort credit allowed me to spend a great deal of time at the spa, the staff are absolutely incredible in their attention to detail. True, it was the first and only manicure/pedicure I've ever had, but it was the best nonetheless. A special thank you to Yolanda and Euserbia for their service, I would have loved to spend the whole day chatting with you. Dinner at Frida was again, excellent! Erika prepared the most delicious guacamole infused with tequila! I have made the same recipe (minus the fire, sadly) a few times since my return home. Thank you to Gracelia and Hector in the buffet restaurant and Jorge at iPanema - you had a such a great attitude. In the end, a vacation with so many great memories.

BTW, the only reason I gave "Rooms" a 4 out of 5 is because I had a picture of Brittany Spears hanging on my wall that I had to look at every morning when I woke up.

Not cool.

Thank you again to all the staff, I hope to return next year!

Room Tip: Specifically mention that you do NOT want to see Brittany Spears in your room otherwise she'll p...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Alejandro M, Customer Service Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Cancun, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Hola XXXXXXYYZ, thanks for the rockin´review! We love hearing your comments and appreciate that you mention the great service that Guadalupe your personal concierge, Yolanda, Eusebia, Graciela, Hector and Karen provided, and rest assured that we will pass your comments to each and every one of them; we know they will appreciate them. It is lovely to hear that you are making your own guacamole at home! We hope we can welcome you again soon here in Hard Rock Hotel Cancun.
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

We were there with a day-pass on one Sunday. We were hooked to a guy who was promoting the hotel to the tourists, and got a good price on our package and also a day-pass to the hotel. They have really nice pool, pool-bars, and really great foods! The only thing I missed was that there is absolutely no shade (!) until the sun goes behind the building. It seems that no one really cares though, but I was completely tanned on that one day. The nice things include their kids club (so well built and nice features, my kids just wanted to stay there forever), and their gym (has dry and steamed sauna- felt really good). The small pools on the second floor also offered great view to the main pool and the beach. And great drinks! Seems like many people are either singles or couples without kids. We'd like to visit them again if we go to Cancun!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Alejandro M, Customer Service Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Cancun, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Hi manyhappy100, thanks for your review, we love hearing that you enjoyed the resort and your kids loved the kids club areas, we hope you come back soon and stay longer to enjoy all 5 restaurants, pools, etc. And we will provide you with a Rockstar experience!

Been to Hard Rock Hotel Cancun? Share your experiences!