“Very nice” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Beach Palace

You added Beach Palace to your Saves list
Beach Palace
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Boulevard Kukulcan, Km 11.5, Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Cinco de Mayo - 40% Off
Ranked #6 of 179 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersGold level
atlanta, ga
“Very nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2004

Just back from 5 days at the Beach Palace. Overall, it was a very nice place. A few minor problems, such as the elevator. It is so slow. We found it to be much faster to take the stairs & we were on the 4th floor! The rooms are big, clean and had a terrific view. The pool is okay, but we preferred the ocean. The ocean water is so blue and so clear and the waves were so much fun. Food was good, drinks were good, service was exceptional. Did visit the Moon Palace and Xpu-Ha Palace. Both were great. Also went to Dolphin Discovery for the dolphin swim. Had a great time and will definetely stay at a Palace Resort again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,164)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2004

I visited the Beach Palace on July 26-July 30, 2004. I was a bit leary after reading some of the reviews, but I was glad I went to see for myself. I was there with my husband and 2 cihldren ages 6 and 8.
The hotel was very nice and clean and the service was definitely above average. The children always had something to do whether it was at the kids club which was great. My children really loved the X-Box and all of the other fun things to do. There are 2 pool tables and 2 ping pong tables which we all enjoyed. Outside, the pool is rather small, but it worked out well since I had small children and the water never went above their heads so I did not have to stay in the pool with them at all times. I could catch some rays poolside. The swim up bar was nice and my son loved that he could just order a "Miami Vice" poolside and not have to get out. There were poolside barbeques and plenty of snack food. The most impressive part of the hotel has to be the beach. The sand was so smooth and white like sugar. The water was crystal clear and there was always plenty of room for sun worshippers such as myself. The hotel is across the street from the mall and Planet Hollywood.
What I thought was going to be a downside turned out in our favor. We were prepared for the "timeshare hounds" being pushy, but we went along with the game and got a total of $250.00 for going to 2- 90 minute tours/presentations. This was in good old U.S. cash. So we used that for Souvenir shopping. Plus they fed us each time. It wasn't so bad, plus we got to see 2 other properties.
If you're planning on going, make sure you get an oceanview room. We were in room 1030, and it was a decent room with hard beds, which we were rarely in so it really wasn't an issue for us.
The hotel in all was good but the service was great.

NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2004

Our family stayed at the Beach Palace for 11 days. When we first arrived, we were seated in the lobby and given drinks and snacks. Check-in was very relaxed, with no hassles whatsoever. When we were brought to our room a short time later, via elevator, we swore we would not use the elevator ever again. Since our room was on the first floor, we didn't have to. Our room was big and we had one of the biggest balconies in the resort, ocean view. The view was spectacular and I can't say enough about how beautiful it was. However, the glass in the sliding door was cracked and there was only 1 very flimsy lock - the other lock was busted. Also, our room was either FREEZING cold when the air was on "low" or it was dripping with humidity when the air was turned off. The humidity got so bad at one point on the first day that the ceiling started dripping in our bathroom. My husband and I were disgusted with this and we complained. Half a second later, there was a very friendly "fix-it man" in our bathroom, attempting to solve our problem. He left without saying a word, but the problem still lingered. Anytime someone in my family used the toilet, we got dripped on from the ceiling above. The room itself, and the entire hotel for that matter, could really use some serious upgrades. We were told it was the oldest of the palace resorts, which certainly made sense. I have to emphasize, though, that the staff was absolutely wonderful and friendly and we had no complaints whatsoever with any of the employees of the hotel. The service we received was top notch. The food was delicious, albeit a bit monotonous. We did appreciate that the Floresta Restaurant tried to change their dinner themes on a nightly basis, but the food still had a Mexican flair to it for the most part. We also enjoyed the shows (Mexican, Mayan and Caribbean dancers) that the resort had 3 nights of the week. Karaoke in the lobby was fun. Drinks were definitely weak. After 3 glasses of sangria, I couldn't even catch a slight buzz. However, we found that if you asked the bartender to make your drinks stronger, he had no problem obliging. The pool was a bit dirty looking and the water was actually hot by 5:00 p.m. The beach was crystal clear and beautiful, although it was a bit rough for my kids. There were a few days when the water was relatively calm, but I didn't feel confident enough to allow my kids to swim unsupervised. Oh, I almost forgot, being on the first floor had its advantages, but there was also a downside. It was very very very noisy at all hours of the day and especially at night, usually around 2:00, 3:00 and 4:00 a.m. when people were coming back from some of the bars in town, usually in a loud, obnoxious manner. In addition, the mattresses were rock hard, so falling asleep was not easy, and being awakened by the rude, obnoxious drunks in the middle of the night was quite annoying. For the most part, we had a great family vacation and my husband says he would go back in a heartbeat, however I think I would prefer to try a newer or recently upgraded hotel next time.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2004

My husband and I planned this trip three months ago. We weren't sure what Cancun or the Beach Palace was going to be like but I can honestly say it was well worth the trip. When you arrive at the Beach Palace they will offer you a drink and a place to sit while you check in. I really liked that because by the time you get to the hotel you need a place to cool off. We opted for an ocean view room but the garden view is nice too. The room we had was pretty basic and the beds are hard. I wasn't too impressed with the comfort of the room but the service is outstanding. The maid cleaned our room every morning leaving behind a different animal shaped towel on our bed. If you need extra towels or shampoo someone will be at your door within minutes to deliver. As far as the beach and pool area goes - we thoroughly enjoyed both. The Beach Palace definitely has one of the best beaches. They provide chairs, palapas, and will even bring drinks to you while you catch in the rays. The pool has a swim up bar and there is always music playing - the atmosphere is very upbeat. While staying at a palace resort you have the option of using the facilities at all of them. If you can visit them do so - this way you can try some of the different foods otherwise you may get bored of the menu at the Beach Palace. The food is a little repetitive but tasty. I would definitely go back to the Beach Palace - its great for families and couples.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2004

We were there from 6-14 thru 6-21. We stayed on the 6th floor with ocean view, the rooms are a little small but who wants to spend all of their time in the room. Only two things to complain about, the elevators were crazy and running out of ice. Beside those two things it was great!!!! We already planning to return next summer with friends and family.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2004

we stayed here for 1 week for our finally part of our 3 week honeymoon. if it wasnt for the beach then this would be hell desguised as a hotel... where to start..... right.. the two ping pong tables and pool tables were ALWAYS full of kids .. even though there is a sign saying children must not play on them ... the reason? because the wreck evry thing they touch. when we got on to the ping pong table the paddles were stripped of there rubber and the ball was dented .. on asking for better equip the staff just said they dont have any more . also the poll table had no que balls - again the kids steal them . there was also no chalk. it took a heated conversation with the manager to produce some new paddles and balls.. on each floor there are ice machines - nice. but do the staff really have to chip away at them at 4.30am ? also thet worked on the elevators at 5.00am ! banging till day .. the lifts were bloody awfulwhen they did work they stopped on every single floor.... the pool side bar (the only one) actually closes at 5.00pm!! why??? because it opens again at 6.00pm!! also other small details like they have sushi nights but dont have any sliced ginger (whihc is a big part of sushi...

all in all - Crap...

wont be going back to a palace resort.

Greenville, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2004

This was our first visit to Cancun and I read alot of reviews before selecting the Beach Palace. We took our 18 & 20 year old and selected the palace hotels because of the water activities. We selected the Beach Palace because we wanted a smaller hotel since my husband has health problems that make walking difficult.

I liked the smaller hotel where you could go from the beach to your room in a matter of a couple of minutes. We visited several other Palace hotels and found the beach at Beach Palace one of the best. The staff also got to know you because the hotel is smaller. The room was nice although the sand didn't always get cleaned well from the floor. The towel art was neat. Everyone was helpful however. The drinks are wonderful and the bartenders very nice. Seems the most obnoxious people get waited on first though. The elevator's are a little scary, but at least this hotel had them. I heard several people staying at other hotels complain because they had no elevator. The food got a little old after 3 or 4 days, although you couldn't beat the breakfast. I was also lead to believe we'd have a very large balcony off our room and the one we had was small. Also if you want a smoking room, you get stuck on the bottom floors. The air conditioner did work wonderfully. The pool wasn't deep but the ocean couldn't be beat. Be sure to book your tours early as we couldn't go on a couple because we waited a few days.

We did do the presentation at Moon Palace in order to get the free jungle tour and because the kids wanted to do some of the water activities. That is one of the main things I was disappointed in. While it's true that the Palace hotels have kayaking, windsurfing, boogie boards, etc available...they don't tell you that those are only available at certain hotels. Ours wasn't one of those. So we went to the Moon Palace for the timeshare presentation because they would pay for the taxi ride there and back (can't get to it from the bus) and to get the jungle tours and t-shirts. We get there and leave our kids in the pool area to meet in the promised 90 minutes. This turned out to be a Godsend as we had an excuse to get out of the presentation exactly at 90 minutes. (hint: if you have a health problem, they don't pressure you so much to buy) We ask where the water activites are and head that way. It's a good 15 minute walk on hot bricks that burn your feet. You finally get there and the beach at Moon Palace is terrible. They say you can't windsurf unless you've had a lesson and they only give them once a day. They said it was too windy for the sand tricycles so that left the paddle boats and kayaking. The water stung so bad that we said forget it and took the taxi back to our hotel. Very disappointing. The moon palace is soooo big that everything is a hassle to get to.

A couple of days later we went to the Sun Palace to try water activities again. This turned out to be better. I would stay at the Sun Palace if we return. The beach is just as lovely as the Beach Palace, there is not as many small kids, and they have the water activities. You get the boogie boards where you get your towels. Since boogie boards are not expensive, it makes no sense that the other palace hotels don't have them. THe pools at the Sun Palace were nice and I heard from guests there that the rooms were wonderful. Across the street from the Sun Palace is where the windsurfing and other things are. The nice boys running it was kind enough to give my kids a quick lesson and one took my 18 year old daughter out on the small sailboat for a long time. (her in a bikini might have helped). I didn't see any snorkling at any of the hotels. I guess you had to go on a paid tour for that. That was VERY disappointing. My son and husband went on the jungle tour and had a great time. THey were the only ones that got to snorkle.

We did go shopping downtown. Prepare to haggle, but it was lots of fun. The flamingo plaza across from the beach palace was a nice mall to shop in and no hassle.

We had a great trip all around. We just wish they were more clear on what your particular hotel has available vs what is available at other hotels.

• Stayed June 2005

Been to Beach Palace? Share your experiences!