“Fabulous Relaxing Honeymoon!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sun Palace

Save Saved
You added Sun Palace to your Saves list
Sun Palace
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd. Kukulcan Km 20 | Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
$1500 Resort Credit
Ranked #4 of 173 hotels in Cancun
Seattle, WA
“Fabulous Relaxing Honeymoon!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Sun Palace for 4 nights in June 2008 for our honeymoon. The first night of our trip was spent in a sub-par family resort and we switched to the Sun Palace the next morning. From the second we walked into the lobby we knew that we were going to enjoy the rest of our trip! Everyone is so nice and willing to help with any request.

We had a room on the top floor, in the smoking section because we hadn't booked our room ahead of time, but we never smelled stale smoke and the view was incredible! We had the standard room with the double jacuzzi towards the back of the room and got a lot of use out of it. The bed was comfortable and we loved the huge shower! The only bad thing is that the toilet area doesn't provide much privacy.

We spent most of our time on the beach, playing in the ocean, and relaxing in and by the pool. One day we took advantage of the included tours and went to Chichen Itza. We had a great time! It was REALLY hot there but the tour guide was interesting and helpful and the lunch and shopping stop was fun as well. When I accidentally left our camera on the bus the staff at Sun Palace worked quickly to contact the tour company to get it back, even after the tour guide said that if you left something behind you would likely never see it again.

The food at the resort was really good, I don't think I've ever eaten so much on vacation. We usually had room service for breakfast, ate at the pool snack bar for lunch, and tried a different restaurant each evening for dinner, and had a fourth meal delivered to our room later. I would recommend eating outside at the buffet for breakfast over room service (which was still good). My favorite restaurant for dinner was the Thai place.

On our final night we had the "honeymoon dinner" which was amazing! When we got back to our room there were some towel swans, the jacuzzi had been filled and there were rose petals floating in the water, petite-fours, and a flower. Very romantic!

The weather was always good during the day, most mornings it would rain and one night there was a big thunder and lightning storm which was fun to watch moving in.

The beach is large and nice, we enjoyed using the boogie boards in the waves, which were always on yellow or red flag but still ok for swimming. What I loved the most was the lack of kids, once we left the horrible first resort we saw maybe 3 the whole trip.

All of the pools were really nice, we preferred the quiet pools but the activity pool never seemed to get too crazy, just fun energy. The pool and beach servers were always fast and friendly.

We loved Sun Palace so much that we are going back in December to celebrate our 1st anniversary (late) and my college graduation. We can't wait!!

• Liked — Service, food, pool & beach, quiet, modern decorations & furniture
  • Disliked — limited TV channels, little privacy in bathroom
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple

3,491 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (979)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Eagan, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2009

We just returned from a week at the Sun Palace and it was absolutely outstanding. The service was phenomenal and the majority of people who work there are genuinely nice and hospitable. We usually stay farther south in the Playa del Carmen area, and I was reluctant to stay in Cancun, but I would return to the Sun Palace in a heartbeat. I like the intimate size of the hotel and the great beach. The view from our room on the second floor was fabulous. How much closer to the ocean can you get?

The food at the Sun Palace was the best we’ve ever had at any all-inclusive resort. Presentation was good and there are many menu and buffet options. At restaurants, we were always quickly approached for our drink orders and never had to wait for a table. My husband liked The Steak restaurant best with its custom grilling options, and Jesus at the grill is a gem.

For variety, we tried some bars and restaurants at the Beach and Cancun Palaces. We loved the Sky Bar at the Beach – go for a drink at sunset. We also had fun at the teppanyaki restaurant at Cancun Palace, and it was easy to get back and forth from our hotel on the city buses.

We normally tipped for good service, which was near constant. I never felt like people expected a tip, but I know they really appreciated it. They work so hard!

Other resort pluses are that there were always plenty of lounge chairs and sunbeds wherever we wanted to sit, whether by the infinity pools or on the beach. I also liked the Palace Passport promotion with free excursions, and the free telephone calls home. We did one excursion to Isla Mujeres, which was fine, but I wouldn’t go more than once. We had done most of the other excursions before and paid much higher prices elsewhere, so the included excursions are a great deal in my book.

The only minor issues we had during the week were non-hotel related. One bus driver wouldn’t stop at the Cancun Palace for us because the bus was packed, so we had to get off at a mall and go back on another bus. Also, the weather was cooler than normal so we didn’t go in the ocean or pools as much as we would have liked.

Overall, our week was simply fantastic. Remember to watch for dolphins. I saw an entire pod of dolphins, about 10-12, right from my balcony at 8:45 am one day while eating breakfast. Really, how much better does it get?

• Liked — Views, beach
  • Stayed January 2009
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2009

My boyfriend and i had a wonderful xmas and New Year at the Sun Palace. After a long flight it was lovely to have a short ride from the airport to the impressive, modern reception of the Sun Palace. We were warmly greeted by the friendly staff and shown to our perfect large room overlooking the sea. We adored our room which had a very large whirlpool in the centre of the room,overlooking the sea, a lovely balcony also overlooking the sea and infinity pool, we asked if i could have a sunlounger put on the balcony which was large enough, the porter was happy to accommodate my request. All the restaurants were good especially the Italian which we liked because one has to dress smartly, dont forget to ask them to make you one of their special Mexican coffees. As the Sun Palace is part of the group of Palace Hotels it was nice to be able to go to the other Palace Hotel restaurants, our favourite was the Beach Palace steak restaurant, which was on the outside terrace, as my boyfriend and i smoke this was a pleasant change for us, it was a 10 minute ride by bus or taxi. By the way taxis although reasonable ,we actually enjoyed the buses, good fun because they usually had a busker on them singing songs, which gave the bus ride a fun holiday atmosphere. There are 2 pools at Sun Palace, one which had very loud music and games during the day and one smaller one which we preferred, which was quieter. By 2 oclock the sun had left the pools but the beach was a lovely alternative to the day. The waitress service was excellent and they quickly learnt what were our favourite drinks. Our only reservation was at night, the lounge bar was a bit shabby and the outside area , where we smoked was a bit dark and small. The pool bar at night was also a bit small and could have had some tables and chairs to sit at. Overall we had a lovely holiday and would go back in the future.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2009

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Sun Palace Cancun from February 2 through February 7. We had a junior suit with a full ocean view on the fourth floor. Checking in was very painless and easy. The front desk was able to change a few $20 bills for me and gave me all singles (for tips). We spent about 10 minutes with their tour planner/concierge and even though she was pushing the Spa packages (which are outrageous in price), I did not feel as though I had to purchase anything. The good thing was that we booked at the right time to get the Swimming with the Dolphins Experience for free (which usually costs about $150 per person). The bell-hop took us to our room and showed us how everything works in the room and what amenities were available. We had a full unobstructed ocean view, as close as a hotel can possibly get to the ocean (so close that the sound of the waves made it hard to communicate when the balcony door was open (which was ALL the time). I thought it would be a waste to have the balcony door closed and to have the AC on.

The sound of the ocean was priceless. Maid service was wonderful, everything clean and the fridge re-stocked with water, juices, and beer. I made sure to leave $2 on the pillow every night we stayed. There was no option to order movies on the television so we were limited to HBO or CNN if we wanted to watch something in English when we were in the room (which also was not for long, just enough for a nap or to get ready to do something outside of the room). We used the card on the door to fill out what we wanted for breakfast the next morning and they were always right on time.

I came here to relax and not necessarily to socialize with anyone or to make new friends, so for my girlfriend and me it was wonderful. There were no teenagers or spring breakers acting dumb, which was very nice. I always made sure to tip $2 for drinks, room service, extra towels, or anything of the sort. Did we have to tip? Of course not, it is an all-inclusive hotel. A few dollars here and there (I spend about $60 in tips the whole time I was here) makes a world of difference. I would notice that when I would place orders for drinks (alcoholic), they would make it with the better alcohol instead of the house brand and they would make sure that I was taken care of. If you are staying here at the Sun Palace, spending 50 or 60 dollars in tips should not be that difficult. Do not be cheap. Just because it is all-inclusive does not mean that you should not tip.

When it came to the restaurants, the Mexican restaurant was good because it had a lot of selection, the Japanese restaurant is the only one I would not recommend and needs major improvement. We ate there once for dinner and had great service, just bad tasting food with dry/old rolls and sushi and weird tasting in general. The Italian restaurant was our favorite and we ended up dinning there three of our five nights.

The few downsides of the hotel were that the bathroom in the room did not have a fan in it and it smelled like an outhouse unless we left the door open (this is even before using it). When you are so close to the ocean, there needs to be ventilation and the smell was most likely because of the ocean and the Cancun water. The lights in the room are very confusing because there is no indicator which switches are for which particular lights in the room. Since there were about 8 different sets of light, there was a few times when I would accidentally turn on all of the lights in the room when I would get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom. Also, if someone was smoking a cigar or cigarette in their balcony, it would seep into our room because we had our balcony door open all the time. I do not smoke and do not like the smell of cigars or cigarettes, so this was a turn-off at times, but it was temporary.

I would highly recommend this place for couples who do not want to be around riff raff, [--]. If you want to have a good time and not worry about having money with you all the time for food and drinks and you want to be alone with your loved one and really live stress free for a few days, then this is the place. I would highly suggest the Mercado 28 or the Market 28 if you want to do some bargain shopping for souvenirs and such. The cool thing about Cancun is that you can stand on any sidewalk and flag a bus down and they are more than happy to stop (as long as you make it known that you want them to stop ahead of time, wave your hand and they will stop). The buses are the way to go in Cancun and they cost about 7 pesos per person (about 50 cents US). The bus drivers are very nice as long as you make an attempt to communicate in Spanish and tell them where you want to go, they will tell you when you need to get off. The only time we took a taxi was to and from the hotel, which cost us about $25 each way. We could have taken a shuttle but we did not want to deal with the shuttle stopping for each individual hotel so people could get off. It would have taken us possibly an hour to get to our hotel in a shuttle as compared to 25 minutes in a taxi.

Overall, an absolute wonderful place to stay. Everything is clean and renovated. Sure there are some minor improvements and suggestions, but I would be petty if I were to go into detail about them (and I mentioned them above anyways). By the way, we booked through www.cheapcaribbean.com and it was the cheapest of all of the major internet booking websites, trust me I spend a whole month researching.

• Liked — The unobstructed full ocean view practically on the water
  • Disliked — No fans in the bathrooms
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Vancouver, BC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2009

A first class experience throughout. We loved the Sun Palace and its friendly, professional, personable staff. They couldn't do enough to help and were always pleasant and cheerful.
Our room was very nice (I think they all face the ocean in some way), and was the larger style with the jacuzzi in the room (never used it). Nice comfortable bed, nice shower and sink arrangement. Marble and tile throughout.
Food was excellent, especially breakfast and lunch buffets. Evening meals weren't as good, but enjoyed the Italian and Thai restaurants the most, Mexican and Steak less so. If you found you weren't happy eating here, you could always go down the blvd. to the Beach Palace or Cancun Palace.
However, we enjoyed the smaller size hotel and the kid-free atmosphere here. Nice quiet pools (small) and good beach (although Cancun rollers typically coming in and raising the Red Flag). Never any problem getting chairs (don't think resort was full).
Would recommend this resort, and from this experience, the whole Palace chain is probably very professionally run.
One tip- we weren't told that the Wet and Wild park was part of the all-inclusive: you could go use that park and eat there for free!

• Liked — The staff
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
boston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2009

Just returned from the Sun Palace Feb 2nd. We stayed in a concierge level room on the 5th floor. The room was beautiful 500 square ft. It had a great walk in shower with a rainfall shower head. The balcony was pretty big it had a huge chaise lounge chair on it built for 2. The view was very nice as well. Another thing I liked was the free admission (all inclusive) to the wet n wild water park Cancun with the Palace wrist band.
Now for the things they need to work on the Food. The food was just o.k. and their sushi is terrible. I couldn't wait to get back to the U.S and have some real food.
Another thing is they have no movies to rent in the room on demand. They have a DVD player in the room but don't have any movies for you to play. So bring your own DVD's for those rainy days. The spa was not the best I had a manicure and the woman gouged my finger and made it bleed a lot - I still have an infection from it.
Also with the concierge level you are supposed to get private beach chaise lounge chairs reserved with your name on it daily with butler service. I go down to to get my seats and surprise no chairs with my name on it. Other guests had gone down and took my seats pretending to be me. They don't even check. This happened every day - I got so annoyed I gave up and sat some where else.
I recommend if you want to stay in Cancun to stay at La Blanc the food is much better quality. If you are going to stay in the riviera stay at the Excellence or the Royal Playa del Carmen. I stayed at the Royal last year and it was much better.

• Liked — The Room and good service
  • Disliked — The Food it should be a lot better given the price you pay $530 a night
  • Stayed January 2009
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Lindenwold, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2009

I went to Sun Palace with my boyfriend and another couple. We are all in our late 20's-early 30's. Although this resort is geared more for couples and a peaceful experience, there was still plenty of opportunity to hang out and meet other vacationers and drink/talk. It's not like the place shuts down after 9pm like some other adults only resorts I've been to.

The service was excellent. All the staff makes a point to learn your name. The waiters and waitresses were very good. The room service attendant was perfectly attentive. Room service food was prompt and they always added some extra little things you didn't order. Like if you ordered eggs and toast, they's also bring fruit. The restaurants were the best I've seen in an all inclusive. I was really impressed with the variety in the breakfast and lunch buffets. The poolside restaurant, although casual, still had a lot more to choose from than just pizza and burgers. The nicer restaurants were excellent. We ate in all of them (Steak, Italian, Asian, and Mexican). The bars were nice looking and stocked satisfactorily. If you wanted anything other than the house wines, you couldn't get it unless you were dining in one of the restaurants. (I probably could have asked the roomservice or the front desk for a bottle and it may have happenned, I just didn't think of it).

The property was very modernly decorated. It felt spa like all the way through. The spa, by the way was very nice and well equipped. The pools were pretty and there was plenty of space on the beach and the pool patios. It really didn't feel crowded while we were there. I don't think they were full by any means.

The entertainment staff was alright. I've been wowed by really dynamic personalities in other resorts, but this place just had satisfactory entertainment. It felt a little hokey. They were really nice and helpful if you ran into them during the day. They'd tell you the best places to go for dinner or shopping. I think part of the mild entertainment, might be because the majority of the guests were sedate. This was definitely not a wild place. I think the best way to spend an evening is to park somewhere near a bar and just hang out there and make your own party.

Going into town was easy, convenient, and a lot of fun. The buses and taxis come by constantly. Between the staff at the resort and the bus driver's help, it was simple to figure out how to get to a given place and how much it would cost. I think my boyfriend and I spent a total of $8 USD on buses, and we probably rode them 7 or 8 times.

If you want a day filled with a variety of adventure and cultural experience, book the Coba trip with Olympus tours. The all day trip included a zip line, rappelling, swimming in a senote (an underground cave filled with water), kayaking, hiking, shopping, biking, and a visit to the Coba ruins. Each activity only lasted a short time. For example, it was one zip line from here to there and you were done. The kayak trip and hike were each about 10 minutes long. The trip was designed so you get to try a lot of different things. It flowed well because they were all located near one another. You also got to meet the Mayans. A Mayan priest blessed us and said a prayer in his language before we went down into the senote to swim. We ate lunch at a little Mayan restuarant that's used just for the tours. The food was very authentic and very good. I never had any problems with my stomach and the water was fine. (just make sure you have bottles with you if you go on an excursion, because sometimes it doesn't say "filtered".

Must do's: Get directions into the downtown area and go to Perrico's for dinner. It was awesome and all the recommendations we got were right on. The entertainment at that restaurant was a lot of fun.... conga lines... audience participation. You're there for a long time!

Also, go to Cocobongo for the most amazing club experience ever! In between the normal dj music, they show these bands, and movie reenactments. It's not cheesy at all. They have look alikes who are dead on (Madonna, Michael Jackson, Kiss, Guns n Roses, Queen, Christina Aguilera). The special effects are amazing. The club is huge. The drinks are cheap but low quality. The movie parts are awesome. They have spider man fight the Green Goblin. They have a Matrix fight with Neo and the two ghostly white haired guys. They have Troy, with a bunch of men in loin clothes. The performers swing around from the ceiling on ropes and the moves are gymnast quality. When they blow the CO2 canons, prepared to fall down, it's that exciting. If you go, I suggest you book it through a tour company. You can get the transportation, cover charge, all you can drink, and a VIP seating area. It's worth it. We thought we'd save money by taking the bus and just finding a seat. The bus was fine, but we stood all night. In a crowd that large, it gets annoying to be bumped all night. Still, it was very memorable.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Sun Palace? Share your experiences!