“Outstanding!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sun Palace

You added Sun Palace to your Saves list
Sun Palace
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd. Kukulcan Km 20 | Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
$1500 Resort Credit
Ranked #4 of 178 Hotels in Cancun
Montreal, Canada
“Outstanding!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

Went there for a quick 4 nights stay and I which i could have stayed 2 weeks...This hotel is just OUTSTANDING!!! Great food, Great service, friendly staff, spacious and clean rooms with balcony ocean view. The beach is long, nice and clean...in fact the beach is better then riviera maya. The hotel is adults only, which makes it a great hotel to relax and enjoy the pool without yelling and splashing kids...Definitely recommend this Hotel and we will most likely be back there before long!

Room Tip: Take the room with Ocean view and the large balcony...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
It has been our pleasure to host you.

When your travel to our resort it is an imperative for us that they have a good time.
This is what we do and we do it quite well.

But of course, this cannot be done without you. Your desire to have some happy days is paramount to the consecution of a great vacation.

So when we get your positive feedback, signifying that you enjoyed it is like getting our report card with only A's. We did well by you.

That is all that matters,

With warmest feelings,

pwinkler@palaceresorts.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,323)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Dayton, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

We stayed at Sun Palace for a week of no rain and great weather, hot and sunny! We chose SP for its location, adult only atmosphere, after trying to get back to Secrets the Vine for our 3 free days- they would not communicate with us. At SP we were greeted at the door, taken back to check in where there were sandwiches and drinks- we needed both. In our room quickly on on the beach fast! Enjoyed lunch every day at the pool, burgers, seafood, chicken on the grill, cooked right there with fresh vegetables. We felt this was the best food of the place, especially they day they had just caught grouper! The restaurants were good, but nothing special. Enjoyed the afternoon "teas" in the lobby bar with sandwiches, chips, and treats- especially during the World Cup! They had a big screen TV up just for us soccer enthusiasts! And the bar tender served some awesome drinks!
We did the wine tasting and chefs dinner. Fun and entertaining.
Beach was awesome! Not as small as I believed it was going to be after reading the revues. We spent most of our days at the pool, playing water volleyball, bingo, just relaxing. Unfortunately I got a bad case of the Azetec Two Step, I did not drink the water or even use it to brush my teeth! The only thing I can think of was at the buffets, the yogurt, salad dressing and such were not kept cold enough.
The rooms were nice, but we were spoiled by Secrets Jr. Suite. The bathroom at SP was crowded when both of us were in there, with the closet being in the same area. Shower was nice, only used the jacuzzi when I was sick and could not get warm. I would have liked the space in the room to be able to move around more. Balcony was also very small, and the door ridiculously hard to open.
Used the spa for my free massages, facials and pedicure. Although they were relaxing, they were nothing special. Used our credits for this- had to pay tax and tip, but it really wasn't that much, and I think it added to our weeks experience. Hubby had his first manicure! We did not leave the resort, everything we needed was there.
The entertainment wasn't much, but we did enjoy it (when i was healthy) the shows somewhat cheesy, but what do you expect? As a dance teacher, I was not really impressed with the talent, but understand how hard it is to get high quality performers at such a venue.
But they still entertained us! I had to leave the Chef's dinner early, but hubby said the entertainment after was very good- a mentalist. We also did the wine tasting- recommended. Learned a lot about wines, good pours for a tasting, and paired it with food- so it wasn't just drinking, they fed us too.
We did use a lot of our resort credits, I think we had $200 left, and our bill for the taxes was $160, which is a lot less than if I had paid for this myself- 1 hour massage, 1 facial, tequila to bring home, spa facial package, we go free with our room 2- 1/2 massages and a manicure and pedicure and one upgrade wine. don't think I could have gotten all this for that price!
Only had bad service one time, at the Steak house. We were seated and forgot about, order a bottle of wine, and our food came before the wine. Needless to say, we rejected the wine, the Main chef came and apologized and gave us a glass of the upgraded wine on the house.
Overall the service was great, poolside servers knew if you were thirsty or stayed away if you weren't heavy drinkers. Never had trouble getting a seat at the pool or beach, we were usually there by 9:30 or 10. Sun was very hot!! June in Cancun!

Room Tip: All rooms are Ocean View, Lower rooms have larger balconys.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback.

As much as we take care of our handling and cooking of food, we do get the occasional queasy stomach. It certainly is no fun. I hope you realize that being an all inclusive resort there is no way we leave any room for hygiene, temperatures and quality of our food and drinks.But yes, some clients will still get an upset stomach.

In general-and your 4 point review proves it- you had a "good" time. But not great. This is not what we have in mind for our patrons and am sure neither do you.

So I apologize for you not having a fantastic time. We try hard to give you our very best.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014 via mobile

Clean rooms, exceptional service. My husband lost his resort band and they replaced it for free. Nice beach, good food. This was one of our first all inclusive vacations. Overall it was worth the price. I recommend taking at least one tour. You miss so much if you just stay in the resort area.

• Stayed September 2013
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, August 7, 2014
Thank you very much for your review.

There is something for everyone. If you are inclined to "do" there are tours to many of the paradisiac places of this area and the erstwhile grandiose epoch of the Mayas.

And the other visitors would rather just stay put at the resort.

We are just happy to host you.

Kennewick
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Sun Palace for our anniversary. What a fantastic place! We enjoyed it tremendously, the service was top notch, and it was difficult to leave. If we ever get back to Cancun, without children of course, we will definately stay at the Sun Palace.

Room Tip: This is VERY important. Be sure to ask for a beach side room. The view is spectacular!!! If you d...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
You could also come with your kids...if they're over 18.

But at that age they'd usually rather be caught dead than with their parents.

Not to worry. It starts getting better in their mid thirties.

In the meantime, come and enjoy with your significant other. You do deal with your kids 24/7. So save day 358 to 365 for yourselves.

Best feelings,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

My husband and i went for a wedding during the beginning of June. It was beautiful and well worth the cash. The drinks were delicious, the food delightful and full of flavor (except the desserts) and the service was superb. We visited the spa and loved our couples massage. The pool was great but closed a bit early. The ocean was gorgeous though the current was very strong our entire stay and we didn't see any fish or sea creatures. We were treated to a romantic dinner for two on the terrace and the food, service and atmosphere were perfect! They sent a bottle of champagne and a chocolate cake to our room as a special treat since we had been married in the last year. My friend's wedding was breath-taking and the staff made sure her day was perfect! We took two of the hotel's excursions: we went to Coco Bongo and Xel HA. Coco Bongo was interesting and fun but highly uncomfortable-wear flats because you are standing for hours on a two foot ledge mashed into people like you are a heavy metal concert. Xel Ha was gorgeous, fun and utterly delightful! I loved snorkeling (until I got a bit sea sick from the choppier waves), the tubing, the drinks, the hammocks and all the wildlife. I would happily stay at this hotel again anytime! :)

Room Tip: *Junior ocean view rooms are worth the upgrade for the spaciousness and awesome view! *Make sure you...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
When you come to a wedding, expect a good time.

Our Weddings Department is very well versed in taking the worry off your shoulders. They are very experienced! So you can dedicate your time to reconnoitering the finer aspects or our destination.

The ocean is always a reminder of how small we are against nature. Currents, waves are ever present and never to be taken lightly.

I hate to say this but a healthy dose of respect for the ocean is preferable to dangerous self assurance. It keeps you safe and me in business.

I always like hearing that my wonderful guests are ready to come back. Just let me know when.

Best feelings,

Essex, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

The service here is fantastic - other reviews are true - it is the staff that really make the difference - every single member of the team we met were brilliant and nothing is too much trouble - I will try and name everyone I can remember really everyone deserves to be mentioned but sorry if I miss anyone out _ Karina the waitress, Miriam & Mirian in Alamo, Efrain , Paola - greeter in The steak. Noberto , Jose Loius, Lorenzo ,Angel, Carlos - bar staff, Jorge our waiter in Steak , Teresa holiday planner , Syliva in Asian and the greeter apologies can't remember her name, Raul on the beach

Husband was spoilt on his birthday with a cake, champagne, banner and petals on the bed - I had emailed the hotel prior to travel and asked for a cake and banner but got much more than I expected

We upgraded to concierge level - guest check in showed us the rooms and gave us the options - no hard sell at all - it was worth it for the additional space on the balcony, extra services such as massage, aromatherapy in the room , turn down service ( fab chocolates ) , beach dinners etc

Food is great from the buffet breakfast, room service, pool grill bar and the evening restaurants every meal was tasty, plenty of choice and always served with the biggest smile

Drinks are all premium brand and the barman also make great cocktails , get to know your drink and it seems like your glass is never empty

The hotel , beach rooms etc are exactly like the pictures and brochures - perfect - yes there is some minor repairs happening - a bit of peeling paint here and there but to be honest if this is going to spoil your holiday when you have the Caribbean sea, great beach and smiling staff , together with the best service then maybe you should stay at home

We were lucky to sea turtles laying eggs and also to be able to release baby turtles - amazing experience and the hotel really care about the environment and turtle programme is fantastic.

Thank you to all of the team at Sun Palace we hope to see you all again

Karen & Dave - room 610

Room Tip: a sea view is a must as you may be lucky enough to see the turtles
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Most wonderful opinion of your stay! It is so good to know that you had a good time.

Turtles have been coming in in greater numbers. I think we must be near 60 nests or around 6000 babies to release during the next two months.

Thank you for your outlook on the important things to enjoy on a vacation, with which I fully agree. It is my great pleasure that, after two years of toil, we're about done with the exterior paint of the building.

It took some doing but now its finally over. You have no idea how happy I am for this.

We also hope to have your return visit in the very foreseeable future. We did enjoy your company.

With warmest thoughts,

Saint Louis, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

We visited this property last week during a resort preview for our wedding next year and I was very disapointed.

The property is run down and the pool is very small and very crowded, as are the lounge chairs. The inside of the resort smells strongly of mold and was rather warm.

The carpeting in the "lounge" is curled up and in need of replacement. The lobby is crowded with tables and people in towels walking around. The spa is very small and dirty.

If you're not as discerning as I am and don't mind staying at a resort which looks like it was decorated in the 1980's, then this could work for you. If I paid for a 7 day vacation and arrived at this resort, knowing I had to stay there, I would be very displeased.

We were to have had lunch during our preview tour but declined once we saw the facility. Needless to say, we will not be hosting our wedding here.

Vacation blessings! Jilbere