“Didn't Bring Our Kids...The Place To Go!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sun Palace

Save Saved
You added Sun Palace to your Saves list
Sun Palace
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd. Kukulcan Km 20 | Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
$1500 Resort Credit
Ranked #4 of 174 Hotels in Cancun
Kennewick
“Didn't Bring Our Kids...The Place To Go!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Sun Palace for our anniversary. What a fantastic place! We enjoyed it tremendously, the service was top notch, and it was difficult to leave. If we ever get back to Cancun, without children of course, we will definately stay at the Sun Palace.

Room Tip: This is VERY important. Be sure to ask for a beach side room. The view is spectacular!!! If you d...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, August 7, 2014
You could also come with your kids...if they're over 18.

But at that age they'd usually rather be caught dead than with their parents.

Not to worry. It starts getting better in their mid thirties.

In the meantime, come and enjoy with your significant other. You do deal with your kids 24/7. So save day 358 to 365 for yourselves.

Best feelings,

pwinkler@palaceresorts.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (990)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

My husband and i went for a wedding during the beginning of June. It was beautiful and well worth the cash. The drinks were delicious, the food delightful and full of flavor (except the desserts) and the service was superb. We visited the spa and loved our couples massage. The pool was great but closed a bit early. The ocean was gorgeous though the current was very strong our entire stay and we didn't see any fish or sea creatures. We were treated to a romantic dinner for two on the terrace and the food, service and atmosphere were perfect! They sent a bottle of champagne and a chocolate cake to our room as a special treat since we had been married in the last year. My friend's wedding was breath-taking and the staff made sure her day was perfect! We took two of the hotel's excursions: we went to Coco Bongo and Xel HA. Coco Bongo was interesting and fun but highly uncomfortable-wear flats because you are standing for hours on a two foot ledge mashed into people like you are a heavy metal concert. Xel Ha was gorgeous, fun and utterly delightful! I loved snorkeling (until I got a bit sea sick from the choppier waves), the tubing, the drinks, the hammocks and all the wildlife. I would happily stay at this hotel again anytime! :)

Room Tip: *Junior ocean view rooms are worth the upgrade for the spaciousness and awesome view! *Make sure you...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
When you come to a wedding, expect a good time.

Our Weddings Department is very well versed in taking the worry off your shoulders. They are very experienced! So you can dedicate your time to reconnoitering the finer aspects or our destination.

The ocean is always a reminder of how small we are against nature. Currents, waves are ever present and never to be taken lightly.

I hate to say this but a healthy dose of respect for the ocean is preferable to dangerous self assurance. It keeps you safe and me in business.

I always like hearing that my wonderful guests are ready to come back. Just let me know when.

Best feelings,

Essex, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

The service here is fantastic - other reviews are true - it is the staff that really make the difference - every single member of the team we met were brilliant and nothing is too much trouble - I will try and name everyone I can remember really everyone deserves to be mentioned but sorry if I miss anyone out _ Karina the waitress, Miriam & Mirian in Alamo, Efrain , Paola - greeter in The steak. Noberto , Jose Loius, Lorenzo ,Angel, Carlos - bar staff, Jorge our waiter in Steak , Teresa holiday planner , Syliva in Asian and the greeter apologies can't remember her name, Raul on the beach

Husband was spoilt on his birthday with a cake, champagne, banner and petals on the bed - I had emailed the hotel prior to travel and asked for a cake and banner but got much more than I expected

We upgraded to concierge level - guest check in showed us the rooms and gave us the options - no hard sell at all - it was worth it for the additional space on the balcony, extra services such as massage, aromatherapy in the room , turn down service ( fab chocolates ) , beach dinners etc

Food is great from the buffet breakfast, room service, pool grill bar and the evening restaurants every meal was tasty, plenty of choice and always served with the biggest smile

Drinks are all premium brand and the barman also make great cocktails , get to know your drink and it seems like your glass is never empty

The hotel , beach rooms etc are exactly like the pictures and brochures - perfect - yes there is some minor repairs happening - a bit of peeling paint here and there but to be honest if this is going to spoil your holiday when you have the Caribbean sea, great beach and smiling staff , together with the best service then maybe you should stay at home

We were lucky to sea turtles laying eggs and also to be able to release baby turtles - amazing experience and the hotel really care about the environment and turtle programme is fantastic.

Thank you to all of the team at Sun Palace we hope to see you all again

Karen & Dave - room 610

Room Tip: a sea view is a must as you may be lucky enough to see the turtles
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Most wonderful opinion of your stay! It is so good to know that you had a good time.

Turtles have been coming in in greater numbers. I think we must be near 60 nests or around 6000 babies to release during the next two months.

Thank you for your outlook on the important things to enjoy on a vacation, with which I fully agree. It is my great pleasure that, after two years of toil, we're about done with the exterior paint of the building.

It took some doing but now its finally over. You have no idea how happy I am for this.

We also hope to have your return visit in the very foreseeable future. We did enjoy your company.

With warmest thoughts,

Saint Louis, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

We visited this property last week during a resort preview for our wedding next year and I was very disapointed.

The property is run down and the pool is very small and very crowded, as are the lounge chairs. The inside of the resort smells strongly of mold and was rather warm.

The carpeting in the "lounge" is curled up and in need of replacement. The lobby is crowded with tables and people in towels walking around. The spa is very small and dirty.

If you're not as discerning as I am and don't mind staying at a resort which looks like it was decorated in the 1980's, then this could work for you. If I paid for a 7 day vacation and arrived at this resort, knowing I had to stay there, I would be very displeased.

We were to have had lunch during our preview tour but declined once we saw the facility. Needless to say, we will not be hosting our wedding here.

Vacation blessings! Jilbere

New City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

We stayed at the Sun palace from July 25th-August 1st and will definitely be back! We were greeted by the cool towels, lemonade and champagne. We chose to upgrade to the concierge level and although it had some nice perks, it is not necessary at this particular hotel (as long as you have an ocean view, though -if thats not important to you, the bay view is very pretty as well) The concierge level was appreciated when we visited other palace resorts that were a bit more hectic. We did enjoy the 25 minute massage and beach dinner that came with this, as well as the lavender aromatherapy and pillows. The upgraded Tequila and champagne they sent to our room was a nice touch as well.
This was our second visit to a Palace resort (previously went to Cancun Palace , which is now Hard Rock) We chose to return to a palace resort because of the amazing service we received on our first visit. We stayed at other resorts that were nice but the service did not compare to Palace resorts. This trip did not disappoint. If anything, the service exceeded our expectations. The breakfast buffet and lunch by the pool were amazing. We especially enjoyed the Guacamole! which I miss already! All of the restaurants were very good for dinner but my personal favorite was the tuna at the steak restaurant, which the waiter informed us was caught that day. Although I don't remember most of the waiters names, they all worked very hard at making sure everything was perfect. I have a food allergy and I was very confident they were careful in the preparation of my meals and informing me what I should stay away from.
The beach and water were amazing!!! and we observed the staff clearing the seaweed to keep it that way. the entertainment staff were all great and added to our great time. We used the resort credits for a couples massage, swimming with the dolphins, and the jungle tour which included the aqua twister, wave runner and snorkeling. Although we did not use all our credits, I feel we got our moneys worth.
We met many nice people and made some new friends. There were some obnoxious drunk loud people in the pool at times but I guess that can be anywhere.
The only other con I can think of is it can be a bit quiet at night. Would have liked some dancing and some Mexican music. We did go down for dance lessons one night that were listed but no one seemed to know what we were talking about. Didn't really affect our time, but would have been fun to do some salsa dancing! Overall we Loved the Sun Palace! and hope to return.

Room Tip: We had a concierge room on the 4th floor facing the ocean. It was very room and had a great view.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
I would say your review covers all aspects of Sun Palace.
It makes for a very good description of what our resort is like and what to expect.

Let's say it is Sun Palace 101.

Of course there is nothing 101 about Concierge. Them's our best rooms. Chosen for their views and type of accommodation (plus quite a few extras).

Thank you for taking the time and effort to write this review. It is very much appreciated.
As will be your next trip. Whenever you decide to make it.

Happy regards,

Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Sun Palace from July 31 through August 3 to celebrate my wife's birthday. The hotel is nice, and the location is excellent (only 15 minutes from the airport). The beach is beautiful, and it was good to stay at a couples-only resort, considering that it was just me and my wife on holiday. So in general, there was really nothing to complain about... But "the devil is in the details!"

For the amount of money that is charged (roughly $460 per night for 2 guests in an Oceanfront Jr. Suite), I would expect better service. It constantly felt like the staff did just the bare minimum required of them, but other than Mario, the waiter on the beach, no one seemed to go out of their way to ensure our satisfaction. This actually started before we even left on our trip.

Before the trip, I made phone calls and sent emails to make two small requests: 1) Since we were going to arrive about 2 hours before check-in time, I asked for an early check-in... 2) Since we were celebrating my wife's birthday during the trip, I was hoping that they could have something nice/special for her when we arrived in our room. (This actually should not have been that big of a deal, considering that this is an all-inclusive resort... All they had to do was to have an "included" bottle of wine/champagne, or an "included" dessert waiting for us in the room.) The best response I ever got was..."We will let the front desk know about your request, but nothing is guaranteed."

Of course, upon our arrival, the room wasn't ready, and we ended up having to wait 2 hours, until the official check-in time. As a matter of fact, even at the official check-in time, the room still wasn't ready, and we ended up having to wait an additional 15 minutes. Once we finally entered the room, sure enough... No special "happy birthday" welcome for my wife, even though I repeated to the front desk clerk that we were there to celebrate my wife's birthday while we were checking in. Apparently, our email, phone and face-to-face request was simply ignored. I would have preferred if the hotel would just have had the nerve just to tell us "NO."

Throughout the rest of our stay, over and over again, the same type of small service-related inconveniences continued to occur... Having to ask for drinks various times (at the Alamo Restaurant and at the Lobby Bar) before they were delivered, lots of restrictions/complications with the "complementary" resort credit, etc. It almost got to the point where we were expecting some complication anytime we requested something.

In summary, the hotel was nice, and the beach was wonderful. So overall, we did enjoy our 4 days in Cancun. I only wish that the service we received at the Sun Palace would have been more accommodating, as opposed to feeling like anything we asked may be ignored, would have to be repeated, or "had strings attached." This was the difference between having just a nice trip, versus an unforgettable experience.

There are MANY hotels in Cancun... I believe next time, we will be able to find one that makes their guests feel special, and go out of their way to make sure that we enjoy wonderful service to go along with the wonderful beach and hotel amenities.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
I have very mixed feelings about your review. The rating of two points signifies a terrible experience.but you go on to say you had a good stay.

We never promise an early check in, especially not at 90+ occupancy. It is not up to us as we are contingent on our departing guests' actual departure.If it is on a day when everyone decides to leave at the same time were in dire straits.
My usually satisfied guests write me directly, which, of course, you couldn't have known. I would very much appreciate your telling me whom you wrote to. My e mail is at the bottom.

I take exception to your comments but then it is not my experience that counts. I do apologize for the issues that resulted in your very bad sojourn. Not something that I want any of my patrons to feel.

Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

My husband and I just got back from our week-long honeymoon at Sun Palace. I have been to Moon Palace (twice) and Hard Rock Punta Cana but this was by far our favorite. The food was excellent, way better than at Hard Rock, and they were always willing to accommodate my dairy-free requests. We loved the adults only atmosphere and everyone was very social - we had a great time talking to people from all over the States and the UK. I was a little nervous going into the trip as my husband and I get bored rather easily and can barely handle one day of laying on the beach. That never happened here and we stopped putting our stuff on the "prime" chairs after the 3rd day because we never used them. We enjoyed playing beach volleyball on several days; Augusta and Eddie do a great job of keeping guests entertained.

The Jose(s) at the party pool bar did a great job and definitely worked hard. Be sure to ask Emilio at the Lobby Bar to whip up some shots for you (we're convinced we need to learn how to make them ourselves to show off to our friends). We have never had steaks cooked so perfectly to order than we did at The Steak and Jorgel was a fantastic waiter, as was Estrella in the Alamo.

We also did 2 excursions. The Xenotes tour was incredible and completely worth the money; however, what they call "snorkeling" is really a quick swim through the Cenote and you can't see anything except a few minnows. We also went swimming with manatees at Isla Mujeres which was also definitely worth the money.

I wish 4.5/5 was a rating option because I do have a few suggestions/complaints. 1) It took my full effort to open and close our patio sliding door (and I have a very physical job so I'm in pretty good shape). 2) Be sure that you put away anything you don't want to lose before going out for the day. I have issues with TMJ and my mouth piece seems to have been "cleaned-up" with the trash about halfway through our stay. Luckily, it was only the one I use for travel but still led to some increased jaw pain for the remainder of the trip.

Overall, this was definitely my favorite vacation. We are working on planning a large (>30 people) family trip to Moon Palace next summer; if that happens my husband and I will definitely be back to Sun Palace when possible.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
We have socials and not so socials...some enjoy hanging in bunches in the pool or as you, playing beach volley-ball. Others wish to not be a part of a group. In this sense there is something for everyone and respect for your choice.

So getting bored is not an issue. Unless you decide to make it part of your vacation.

"Cenotes" or sinkholes can be very spectacular and fresh. Your mention of the manatees reminded me of the wealth of animal life in this part of the world. There is an enormous effort to bring back our endangered species,jaguars, deer, monkeys. crocodiles,etc..and of course: Turtles. I love that part of the Yucatan.

Thank you fro your very kind words, even if you did have an issue with the door and others it would seem you liked our little gem in paradise.

Will see you again soon.

Best regards,

pwinkler@palaceresorts.com

Been to Sun Palace? Share your experiences!