“Sun, Fun and Relaxation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sun Palace

You added Sun Palace to your Saves list
Sun Palace
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd. Kukulcan Km 20 | Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
$1500 Resort Credit
Ranked #4 of 178 Hotels in Cancun
New City, New York
“Sun, Fun and Relaxation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

We stayed at the Sun palace from July 25th-August 1st and will definitely be back! We were greeted by the cool towels, lemonade and champagne. We chose to upgrade to the concierge level and although it had some nice perks, it is not necessary at this particular hotel (as long as you have an ocean view, though -if thats not important to you, the bay view is very pretty as well) The concierge level was appreciated when we visited other palace resorts that were a bit more hectic. We did enjoy the 25 minute massage and beach dinner that came with this, as well as the lavender aromatherapy and pillows. The upgraded Tequila and champagne they sent to our room was a nice touch as well.
This was our second visit to a Palace resort (previously went to Cancun Palace , which is now Hard Rock) We chose to return to a palace resort because of the amazing service we received on our first visit. We stayed at other resorts that were nice but the service did not compare to Palace resorts. This trip did not disappoint. If anything, the service exceeded our expectations. The breakfast buffet and lunch by the pool were amazing. We especially enjoyed the Guacamole! which I miss already! All of the restaurants were very good for dinner but my personal favorite was the tuna at the steak restaurant, which the waiter informed us was caught that day. Although I don't remember most of the waiters names, they all worked very hard at making sure everything was perfect. I have a food allergy and I was very confident they were careful in the preparation of my meals and informing me what I should stay away from.
The beach and water were amazing!!! and we observed the staff clearing the seaweed to keep it that way. the entertainment staff were all great and added to our great time. We used the resort credits for a couples massage, swimming with the dolphins, and the jungle tour which included the aqua twister, wave runner and snorkeling. Although we did not use all our credits, I feel we got our moneys worth.
We met many nice people and made some new friends. There were some obnoxious drunk loud people in the pool at times but I guess that can be anywhere.
The only other con I can think of is it can be a bit quiet at night. Would have liked some dancing and some Mexican music. We did go down for dance lessons one night that were listed but no one seemed to know what we were talking about. Didn't really affect our time, but would have been fun to do some salsa dancing! Overall we Loved the Sun Palace! and hope to return.

Room Tip: We had a concierge room on the 4th floor facing the ocean. It was very room and had a great view.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
I would say your review covers all aspects of Sun Palace.
It makes for a very good description of what our resort is like and what to expect.

Let's say it is Sun Palace 101.

Of course there is nothing 101 about Concierge. Them's our best rooms. Chosen for their views and type of accommodation (plus quite a few extras).

Thank you for taking the time and effort to write this review. It is very much appreciated.
As will be your next trip. Whenever you decide to make it.

Happy regards,

pwinkler@palaceresorts.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,320)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Sun Palace from July 31 through August 3 to celebrate my wife's birthday. The hotel is nice, and the location is excellent (only 15 minutes from the airport). The beach is beautiful, and it was good to stay at a couples-only resort, considering that it was just me and my wife on holiday. So in general, there was really nothing to complain about... But "the devil is in the details!"

For the amount of money that is charged (roughly $460 per night for 2 guests in an Oceanfront Jr. Suite), I would expect better service. It constantly felt like the staff did just the bare minimum required of them, but other than Mario, the waiter on the beach, no one seemed to go out of their way to ensure our satisfaction. This actually started before we even left on our trip.

Before the trip, I made phone calls and sent emails to make two small requests: 1) Since we were going to arrive about 2 hours before check-in time, I asked for an early check-in... 2) Since we were celebrating my wife's birthday during the trip, I was hoping that they could have something nice/special for her when we arrived in our room. (This actually should not have been that big of a deal, considering that this is an all-inclusive resort... All they had to do was to have an "included" bottle of wine/champagne, or an "included" dessert waiting for us in the room.) The best response I ever got was..."We will let the front desk know about your request, but nothing is guaranteed."

Of course, upon our arrival, the room wasn't ready, and we ended up having to wait 2 hours, until the official check-in time. As a matter of fact, even at the official check-in time, the room still wasn't ready, and we ended up having to wait an additional 15 minutes. Once we finally entered the room, sure enough... No special "happy birthday" welcome for my wife, even though I repeated to the front desk clerk that we were there to celebrate my wife's birthday while we were checking in. Apparently, our email, phone and face-to-face request was simply ignored. I would have preferred if the hotel would just have had the nerve just to tell us "NO."

Throughout the rest of our stay, over and over again, the same type of small service-related inconveniences continued to occur... Having to ask for drinks various times (at the Alamo Restaurant and at the Lobby Bar) before they were delivered, lots of restrictions/complications with the "complementary" resort credit, etc. It almost got to the point where we were expecting some complication anytime we requested something.

In summary, the hotel was nice, and the beach was wonderful. So overall, we did enjoy our 4 days in Cancun. I only wish that the service we received at the Sun Palace would have been more accommodating, as opposed to feeling like anything we asked may be ignored, would have to be repeated, or "had strings attached." This was the difference between having just a nice trip, versus an unforgettable experience.

There are MANY hotels in Cancun... I believe next time, we will be able to find one that makes their guests feel special, and go out of their way to make sure that we enjoy wonderful service to go along with the wonderful beach and hotel amenities.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
I have very mixed feelings about your review. The rating of two points signifies a terrible experience.but you go on to say you had a good stay.

We never promise an early check in, especially not at 90+ occupancy. It is not up to us as we are contingent on our departing guests' actual departure.If it is on a day when everyone decides to leave at the same time were in dire straits.
My usually satisfied guests write me directly, which, of course, you couldn't have known. I would very much appreciate your telling me whom you wrote to. My e mail is at the bottom.

I take exception to your comments but then it is not my experience that counts. I do apologize for the issues that resulted in your very bad sojourn. Not something that I want any of my patrons to feel.

Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

My husband and I just got back from our week-long honeymoon at Sun Palace. I have been to Moon Palace (twice) and Hard Rock Punta Cana but this was by far our favorite. The food was excellent, way better than at Hard Rock, and they were always willing to accommodate my dairy-free requests. We loved the adults only atmosphere and everyone was very social - we had a great time talking to people from all over the States and the UK. I was a little nervous going into the trip as my husband and I get bored rather easily and can barely handle one day of laying on the beach. That never happened here and we stopped putting our stuff on the "prime" chairs after the 3rd day because we never used them. We enjoyed playing beach volleyball on several days; Augusta and Eddie do a great job of keeping guests entertained.

The Jose(s) at the party pool bar did a great job and definitely worked hard. Be sure to ask Emilio at the Lobby Bar to whip up some shots for you (we're convinced we need to learn how to make them ourselves to show off to our friends). We have never had steaks cooked so perfectly to order than we did at The Steak and Jorgel was a fantastic waiter, as was Estrella in the Alamo.

We also did 2 excursions. The Xenotes tour was incredible and completely worth the money; however, what they call "snorkeling" is really a quick swim through the Cenote and you can't see anything except a few minnows. We also went swimming with manatees at Isla Mujeres which was also definitely worth the money.

I wish 4.5/5 was a rating option because I do have a few suggestions/complaints. 1) It took my full effort to open and close our patio sliding door (and I have a very physical job so I'm in pretty good shape). 2) Be sure that you put away anything you don't want to lose before going out for the day. I have issues with TMJ and my mouth piece seems to have been "cleaned-up" with the trash about halfway through our stay. Luckily, it was only the one I use for travel but still led to some increased jaw pain for the remainder of the trip.

Overall, this was definitely my favorite vacation. We are working on planning a large (>30 people) family trip to Moon Palace next summer; if that happens my husband and I will definitely be back to Sun Palace when possible.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
We have socials and not so socials...some enjoy hanging in bunches in the pool or as you, playing beach volley-ball. Others wish to not be a part of a group. In this sense there is something for everyone and respect for your choice.

So getting bored is not an issue. Unless you decide to make it part of your vacation.

"Cenotes" or sinkholes can be very spectacular and fresh. Your mention of the manatees reminded me of the wealth of animal life in this part of the world. There is an enormous effort to bring back our endangered species,jaguars, deer, monkeys. crocodiles,etc..and of course: Turtles. I love that part of the Yucatan.

Thank you fro your very kind words, even if you did have an issue with the door and others it would seem you liked our little gem in paradise.

Will see you again soon.

Buckinghamshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

We just arrived back from this wonderful resort last week, I wish we could have stayed longer. We stayed in Sun Palace 16/07/14 to 28/07/14. We stayed in the junior suite #330.

Pros:
It was an absolutely fabulous honeymoon, the staff really take care of everyone - and they're all so hardworking. We tipped a lot to the waiters and waitresses on the beach and pool (not that this made the service any better - which is certainly a good thing). They serve you with a smile and are very polite, quick and efficient. We are not used to it at all!

The staff serving in the restaurants are just as good. All food was amazing! We went to the Mexican restaurant as much as possible to get a taste of the real Mexican food - and this did not disappoint. Our other favourites were the italian/Thai restaurants (sorry I've forgotten their names already).

The beds on the beach are extremely comfortable, especially to lay on after a huge wipe out session in the sea! I could not believe how huge and strong the waves are, although it was a lot if fun. If you ever find a pair of brown ray bans in there - they're mine :).

We were explained to, on arrival, regarding the resort credit however didn't fully understand and when we heard 16% tax - instantly thought it was a con. Only when we spoke to another guest (a week in) regarding some tours was it confirmed to us that that is literally all you pay. So we booked the paradise snorkelling tour through aqua world, and I'm so glad we did. It was so much fun. And cost about 28USD for both of us! So cheap! When we got back to Sun Palace that day we went straight to the planners to book the Jungle Tour however they were fully booked until after we'd leave. We were very annoyed we hadn't booked sooner and actually booked through aqua world (paying full price) - it was still worth the money. I just wish we had worked out sooner that the resort credit was a benefit to the all inclusive hotel. Being English, the word 'credit' isn't so good so maybe it was our own perception. Still, glad we used it in the end. Also got a couple of spa treatments through it.

Everyone talks English. I didn't notice any European or Asian guests. Just U.K, America and Australia. This is great to get to know others.

Our room was beautiful, and huge. We had a few surprising cakes and a bottle of champagne turn up in the evenings which was nice such as a 'just married' cake. It was cleaned / tidied up every day although it seemed to be at different times if the day so we sometimes had to go back downstairs to wait until it was cleaned.

The only shows we felt was decent was The Fire Show and Ryan Oakes. Very entertaining.

Our honeymoon dinner was lovely. Very grateful to have something a little different and we have kept our printed menu which was a lovely touch.

The buses to get around the town were great! 9.50 pesos each for any journey (around 60 pence). We used it to get to and from the La Isla shopping mall (souvenirs and designer outlets etc) and to and from Coco Bongo! Well worth the money to go to that club!

Cons:
There were very few bad points to our trip, and very typical of any holiday:
There really were not enough sunbeds by the pool. Or atleast, beds being used. When you get up in the morning, say around 8am - all beds in the sun are taken. And what's worse is people sit on the bed with the parasol up, in the shade. It's the most frustrating thing, one day we ended up sharing a bed. And the trouble is, we started copying everyone else, just to get a bed; which makes us just as bad. We got up to put towels down at 7 then got ready and had breakfast and went to the pool area around 8.30. Purely just to get a bed for the day. It did seem there just wasn't enough space, I'm not sure what can be done about that. As I said, it's typical of most hotels abroad anyway.

The entertainment other than the 2 acts above was really poor. Kareoke was on 4 times whilst we're there. Certainly isn't our thing, is it just us? We had early nights a lot of the week, we were on honeymoon though so it wasn't so bad haha. It felt a bit crap knowing that moon palace had their own ice rink and huge entertainment room that we saw on 'palace tv' so often. We considered going there for an evening but with the shuttle being so infrequent, would have had to take a very expensive 60/70usd return taxi journey, as no buses went that way.

In our last night in the hotel, we decided to have dinner then get an early night (again, as there was karaoke on). We must have gone to bed around 11pm. At 4am I was awakened by shouting next door #329. I tried to cut out the noise with the television but then found that there must have been at least 10 guests or so in this room, and they must have all brought their chairs or something as all I could hear was there furniture movement. Needless to say with the noise, the shouting, the music I could not get back to sleep. I called reception who apologised and said they would send security upstairs. I'm unaware if they came or not as it continued until 6am or so. I wouldn't have minded so much but I had an 11 hour flight later that day, that them got redirected so it turned into 25 hours travel in the end. I really could have done with the extra sleep. But again, you get that everywhere.

Only other thing is that the pool turned our white parts of our swimwear a dirty yellow colour which still hasn't come out in the wash. If be interested to know what that is?

Otherwise absolutely fabulous honeymoon and we'd definitely like to go back one year... Maybe for an anniversary. Thank you to all of the hardworking staff that made our holiday amazing. I'm now trying to shift the 8 pounds gained from the 12 days there... Oops! Thank you again!

Stayed July 2014
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
It is good to know that in general you are satisfied with your visit. So important especially when we host honeymooners.

We are very aware that we do not have the wherewithal of larger properties and this is always something to consider. There's no way a resort of our size could support major attractions such as a skating rink or a Flow-rider. But we are unique in offering the use of larger facilities included in your package. And while the shuttles might not adhere to your needs, a $30.- cab ride will.

Thank you for a very nice review. Hope to see you soon again.

Best wishes,

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

Visited this hotel last year and it was fabulous the food, drinks, rooms and most of all the staff are amazing. Met many great people and actually had a tear in my eye when I was leaving. Palace resorts really know how to spoil you. Visit the beach palace for dinner while you are there too their thai restaurant was great.

Stayed September 2013
There is an assured method to brush the departure tears away: Return!

Having been here since September of '13 I would venture to say it is time to plan a new excursion to Cancun.

So. Shall we put you down for this September?

Let us know.

N.Y.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

Stayed at the Sun Palace from July 27-August 2. I have stayed at Beach, Cancun (now Hard Rock) and Moon Palace previously. The Sun Palace is an absolute Gem in the Palace Resort chain. A great place to stay when you go to Cancun without the children. I booked through a diamond member. I received an used many of the perks from that. So my review is as follows:

Rooms: Booked in the concierge level room. Got 6th floor room overlooking the ocean with a huge balcony that had a sun bed, a table with two chairs. Just perfect. The room was big with the big jacuzzi tub in the middle of the room. We used it and it was amazing. Separate shower area and bathroom. Two sinks and counter space occupied the back side of the jacuzzi tub area.Closet with safe,iron and ironing board, hair dryer and straightener, along with two robes and slippers. Turn down service and chocolates every day. The room was kept sparkling clean every day. Flat screen TV with DVD player and a stocked fridge and mini bar. Coffee pot with supplies and bottled water and a table and chairs also in the room. They had an i pod docking station with the clock also. Everything you could need. Calla to the US for free from your room also.
Restaurants: We ate at all the restaurants except the oriental. They were all good. I will comment that when we went to El Alamo they didn't have a few items that were on the menu, one being what we wanted. So when we told the waiter that we had specifically come in for the fillet he came back with the chef who spoke to us and ended up cooking a special steak and making us a surprise dessert. The meal was excellent and the chef went beyond what we expected. La Traitto was also excellent. My boyfriend found a few new favorites while we were there. The steak place outside was good and they even went and got us ice cream for desert which wasn't on the menu for that night. All you had to do was ask and they were happy to get it for you. The breakfast buffet was great with everything you could think of on it.

Pools and beach: The beach is to die for. Clean, warm, and every shade of blue you could imagine. Just like a post card picture. There were plenty of loungers and umbrellas, and the guy setting them up was one of the hardest workers at the Sun Palace. The pools were also clean and warm. We spent most of the pool time at the activity pool. Swim up bar service was quick and the drinks were good. The only reason I didn't give this a five star review is that unless you were at the pool very early, you could not get a chair. Many of the chairs were reserved with towels on them and no one was even around sitting in them for hours. I know it's a small hotel and I'm not sure what the solution to this would be, but it still is a bit annoying that there were no chairs available when you wanted them. The activity staff is excellent and a big shout out to Vanessa who played horseshoes with my boyfriend many days. He appreciated the competition and it was a highlight of his day. One thing to note... the bottom of the pool is a rough surface and it rips off the skin on your toes when playing water volleyball and water polo so you might want to bring some water shoes for that.

Credits: Great deal if you choose to use them. We did swim with the dolphins, massages, and brought home tequila. Only had to pay the tax and saved alot of money in the process.

Staff: The staff is what makes this resort what it is. There are so many hard working people here that are always cleaning, serving, and just helping. They are friendly and seem to be happy to do whatever they can for you. Mr Winkler, you should be very proud of your staff because they are outstanding at what they do. This is a great reflection on you as well. And a special thank you to Maria at the guest concierge services. She was very helpful and greeted us every time she saw us during the week. She even come by and wished us well as we were leaving and took pictures for us. Thanks Maria. You are a great person.

All in all, our trip to Sun Palace was amazing and we will return. For anyone thinking of going here, you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for mentioning our service.
I am inordinately proud of my staff. They are the ones that deserve all the kudos.

It seems to be getting to that time of year when the comments on the lounges of the pool abound. As with everything else, they are subject to first comers. I accept we cannot accommodate all our guests at the pools and the beach at the same time. It is either or, with the beach having the larger space.
I would also ask all my fine guests to support us by not tipping to get a given sun bed by the pool. Firstly, my country certainly does not need the "fame" that everything goes for a price. It recently cost us a 14 year old associate. It is so easy to tip to get certain prerogatives not caring what the consequences are. And they are harsh.

I am sure everyone understands and I apologize for using your particular review to this effect. In no way am I implying there is any responsibility on your part.

Thank you for a great review, albeit not 5 points, now we know both sides.
I will look forward to your next visit. I hope sooner than later.

Unionville, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

In July we spent a week at the beautiful Sun Palace, Cancun, Mexico.

Was it hot? Yes but there was always a pleasant breeze blowing in off the Gulf to keep things in perspective.

Was it overcrowded? Not at all even though the Hotel was running near capacity in terms of occupancy.

Were we treated well? Absolutely! Beginning (and ending) with our contact with Rocio Archundia Vazquez, Diamond Concierge. I've never known anyone who devotes more of themselves to their job than does Rocio. She's there to make certain that your stay is 100% enjoyable and she certainly does that extraordinarily well! Rocio makes certain that you have everything you need or desire during your stay.

True story...when we departed the Sun it was to transfer to a sister resort, The Moon Palace for a one week stay. Upon arrival at the Moon I quickly discovered that I'd left my IPad at the Sun Palace. I immediately placed a phone call to Rocio at the Sun. Within minutes of our phone conversation Rocio was back on the line to inform me that my IPad was safely found in "lost & found" (thank you to housekeeping for turning it in upon finding it left behind in my room) AND that she would go out of her way to drive to the Moon, after ending her day at the Sun, to deliver it to me personally...which she did. Now that's what I call "going above and beyond the call of duty"!

I don't know how the Palace Resort System rewards its employees but I'm hereby nominating Rocio for the highest award/bonus that can be given out.

Were there other employees who stood out? You bet including the following: Eddy, who kept us entertained at the pool with all his shenanigans; Marcelo, from whom we had a frenetic and fun Spanish lesson; Noberto, who mixes a mean Bombay gin & tonic at the Lobby Bar; Miriam, hostess at the breakfast restaurant who greeted us with a smile and seated us, with a flourish, each morning; Ricardo, who efficiently waited on us at each breakfast; Allen, who waited on us at our Concierge dinner so skillfully; Edgar, the head chef who saw to our every culinary request; Pablo Winkler, the Hotel manager whose droll sense of humor kept everyone smiling (you absolutely need to witness Pablo hosting one of the Chef's Dinner events at the Sun...what a hoot!); and too many others to mention.

We did take a day trip tour to the Mayan temples at Chichen Itza. The ruins are absolutely amazing in their structure and engineering! However, a word of advice, don't go in the heat of the summer; it was easily 110 degrees in the shade and there was virtually no shade to be had. It's a worthwhile excursion but do it in the winter months when the temperature is bearable.

The sea turtles were busy laying their eggs in the beach sand each night. They are wonderful creatures and amazing to watch as they perpetuate their species. You can go to the beach and witness the entire procedure, just don't spook them by shining bright lights on them (flashlights or flash cameras) or they'll abort their mission and return to the sea.
We've been to the Sun before and will definitely return again. Thanks to all the many Sun employees who made our recent stay so memorable.

Room Tip: Get in touch with Rocio, or one of her compatriots, and they'll do everything in their power to...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Rocio has proven to be invaluable through the years, which is why she is in the position she holds. She deals with our highest category guests and she does it with flair.

And then the bunch of my kids you mention are sweethearts. I agree.

As are you. Who else would take so much time and memory to write all these names down?

Thank you as well for enjoying the Chef's dinner. It is one of the highlights of my week. I get to interact with my guests, which is something I should be doing more often. You lift my spirits!

Never stop coming back. Please.

Wrmest thoughts,