“Great week at the Sun Palace” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sun Palace

Save Saved
You added Sun Palace to your Saves list
Sun Palace
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd. Kukulcan Km 20 | Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
$1500 Resort Credit
Ranked #4 of 172 hotels in Cancun
Sandwich, Massachusetts
“Great week at the Sun Palace”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Just finishing up our week at the Sun Palace one of the Palace properties. Stayed in oceanfront suite, concierge level. I must say, the food was good, however, the restaurants do not change their menus, which can be monotonous. Alamo offers breakfast and lunch buffets, wide variety of options from pick your own meat to cook to salads and homemade Mexican dishes. Desserts were excellent compliments to the pastry chef and always assorted fruits and salads. At night the Alamo is the mexican restaurant offering local cuisine. They also have an Italian and Thai restaurant and steak house located outside on the patio. Try the chefs dinner use your hotel credits worth it to try traditional native Mexican dishes paired with wines. Also had couples dinner on beach. The chef makes the dish explains ingredients and history behind it. Liquor is name brands and offer French wines. Staff friendly and eager to assist. Property located on Beachfront 15 minutes from airport at beginning of hotel district. Use the bus to go to downtown Cancun a bargain at a dollar a person. Sun palace offers shuttle to Moon palace where you can spend the day at this mega complex, have lunch, go to the pool, beach isn't as nice as sun palace. In summary, we had a great vacation.

Room Tip: Go to higher room number last 2 digits 25 and higher,level lower level rooms near pool and steak ho...

3,326 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (915)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Coventry, United Kingdom

Where do we begin....

This hotel was absolutely perfect, from the moment we got off of the coach to be greeted by a cold face towel, a flower and a glass of champagne.... We knew we were in for a winner.

Room.
To then step into our room was breathtaking, we spent nearly 10 minutes taking photos and trying to get our head around how beautiful it was. Everywhere you looked there was something else to admire... To then look out the balcony to the most beautiful view I have ever seen from a window. We had a concierge room with sea view, jacuzzi, balcony, mini fridge stocked with coca cola, beer, and optics. Chocolates everyday with our bed being made sometimes twice a day.
We stayed on the 6th floor in room 629 - which is a great floor as it has larger balconies with sun loungers - rather than just a table and chairs.

.... PS The bed is one of the COMFIEST beds I have stayed in. In fact it is nicer than my bed at home which was disappointing when I had to give it back.

Food.
The food in all restaurants was great. Italian was our favourite, followed by the steak and oriental. There was lots of choice so you never had to eat the same thing more than once unless you wanted to. The steak restaurant has many types of steaks and meat dishes, rib-eye, New York Strip, t-bone, shrimp, Chicken and ribs .. all cooked how you like. The food was presented lovely, a lot of effort goes into each dish and it sums up the hotel in its perfection and presentation.

For breakfast you can have it delivered to your room for a selected time slot - the choices are amazing and the idea is perfect if you like breakfast in bed. (or you are hungover!)

Beach
From what I have heard and seen from my time there, The sun palace has THE best beach in Cancun. Not a piece of sea weed in sight, tidied every morning and sharing similarities with a beach postcard. The sand was white, the sea was blue. The sand also stayed cool and didn't burn your feet. BEWARE: Do not go into the sea with sunglasses on as it is a thief and will take them from you!!! As for sunbeds, they are hard to find around the pool after 8am, so you do have to get up early to ensure that you get a bed in the sun. However, the beach has plenty of loungers and no matter what time you get to the beach - the staff will drag one out for you and get you an umbrella if needed.

Staff.
Every single member of staff we met during our stay made an impact on our holiday, Whether they made us laugh or just treated us like royalty, They bought you drinks to your sun loungers, in the bar, on the beach. A few even started to remember our names and drink orders giving a really personalised service. A few names to mention: Jose Daniel in the Lobby Bar is an absolute gem and credit to the hotel. Such a sweet man and was always making sure he could do everything he could to make sure you were happy, He made an effort to say goodbye to us when we left and to shake our hands and wish us a good trip home. Alberto at the pool bar was also very attentive to our needs. Daniel from the entertainment team was also great. Juanito at the lobby bar was also a name that stood out to us.

Local Information.
We got the bus many times and at first wasn't sure what it would be like. However the value for money and simplicity of it was perfect for us. $1 or 9.5 PESO to get anywhere within the hotel zone. They also run pretty much 24 hours, so if you do decide to go to Coco Bongo or anywhere else on the party strip, the bus back is easy and cheap as opposed to a 100 PESO taxi. We didn't visit any of the other palaces as we had everything we needed at the sun palace, however from other people at the hotel that did go - it sounded like a worthwhile trip.

Resort Credits.
We actually didn't use these as we didn't feel we needed to. We booked our trips through our UK holiday rep and had a free massage in our concierge. We didn't find anything else to use them on - however they would be worth it if you did!!

Overall I don't feel like my review has even come close to touching on how perfect our holiday was. I cannot put it into words or pictures. However I wouldn't just recommend the hotel - But I would go as far as saying everyone should experience and stay here. There is a reason it is rated so highly on trip advisor.

Room Tip: Do upgrade to concierge if you can, it was a great experience. Floors 7 and 8 have smaller balconies...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Have been staying at sun palace for 11 nights (30th June - 11th July) and do not want to leave!

The scenery is amazing! Beautiful white sand and blue sea directly infront of the hotel! There's 3 main pools which all have sunbeds facing the sea. (Would recommend getting a sunbed early as they go pretty quick)

We upgraded when we got here to sea view room and I would definitely recommend. Upgrade when you get here as it is less expensive. We were on the second floor which was nice and quiet and you didn't have any noise at night. (We are 20-30 so wouldn't mind that anyway but is a plus)

Good selection of food and drinks and the rooms are cleaned daily. All staff are really friendly and nice!

Sun palace is by far the nicest out of the 3 palace resorts (sun, beach and moon palace)

Easy access to the busier part of cancun as the buses run 24/7.

Would 100% come back as we loved Mexico, our favourite holiday! And would definitely recommend to stay in sun palace!

Stayed July 2014
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, 2 days ago
If you love Mexico and of Mexico, Cancun and in Cancun, Sun Palace you are on the right track. That is, on the right track to the hearts and minds of the 350 souls that have the privilege of working in this exceptional small resort.

Far from perfect, our daily task is precisely strive for perfection, the elusive goal everyone seems to want and none know where or what it is.

But if we were able to have a hand in your enjoyment of these past 11 days, then for a second we touched perfection.

Thank you for letting us know in such a motivating manner!

Our best wishes,

USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I stayed at the Sun Palace over the Fourth of July and could not have had a better time. I woke up, went to a wonderful breakfast, rolled onto the beach, rolled to the bar, back the room, and then back to dinner. Repeat the next day. It's all I wanted to do while on vacation was to relax and the Sun Palace was certainly perfect for that. If I wanted to participate in the group activities, I could do that as well. Beach and pool volleyball were always happening, so if I got bored, that was available. However, I was fine laying on the beautiful beach and reading.

Speaking of the beach...It's very nice. Not overly crowded, either. The staff were on hand to pull out beach chairs and umbrellas as needed. Note...this is the one time I'd recommend tipping, if at all in doubt. These guys worked their butts off. A few bucks is fine. After relaxing, the waitstaff would make their rounds to ensure we had cocktails in hand at all time. It was just perfect. The ocean was certainly nice for a quick dip as well. You have the occasional big swell, but that just made it fun. It's not rocky, either. Just nice sand. Note for the ladies...this is the time to wear the bikini. ALL shapes and sizes out there. If you are in doubt, wear it. Guys, encourage the ladies to wear it. I wish I had brought mine.

My room was a large King room with a whirlpool tub. I never used the tub, but it seemed nice. The bed was very comfortable. A/C also kept us cool at night. And the minibar...of which nothing was mini...was awesome. Full size bottles of liquor, bottled water, soft drinks, etc. All included in the room. The staff would stop by during the day to ensure it was still fully stocked as well.

Breakfast was probably my favorite meal of the day. The Alamo was buffet style and had pretty much everything and anything. And it was all very tasty. My lunch was over by the pool and I would just grab a burger. But they would have other options as well. Dinner options were quite varied. First night, I went back to the Alamo and if was very nice. I also tried the Oriental restaurant. Eh, not so much, but not that bad either. I suppose I should not expect excellent Asian food in Mexico. I also went to The Steak and had a very good NY Strip. No excellent, but pretty good. Overall, service was outstanding. Anything and everything was brought with a smile. Just really nice people at this resort.

Depending upon when you go, we had the $1500 resort credit offer. Just ignore it and move on. My recommendation. It's useless. You can use it if you want a special bottle of wine during dinner, but by the time you use the credit, they tax the hell out of you, and you check out, you wind up owing them money. Upon check in, they will try to have you schedule how you are going to use the credit...Just make sure to read all the fine print because you will wind up owing the resort money.

Bottom line, I could not have had a better time. Great accommodations, wonderful staff, and a great beach. Tipping is not necessary since it is all inclusive, but don't be cheap. Tip the guy setting you up on the beach. If you are ordering a ton of drinks on the beach, slip the waitstaff a few bucks. It's hot as hell out there. The bellboy looked at my husband like we should tip him, but we didn't. Looking back, if I had my wallet available, we would have tipped him too.

Room Tip: Stay up higher. I was on the eighth floor and the only noise I had was the rude guests that would l...
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Of your kind comments, one caught my attention: The suggestion that all ladies bring and use their bikinis. Couldn't agree with you more. As you mention: All shapes and sizes. This is not a "competition" resort where everybody else is on the lookout for the perfect body.

This is a couples hotel. If you are here you have the certainty that there is one, at least, who thinks you are a Goddess-or a God.

I loved your review. It is straightforward and calls a spade a spade. For one, I enjoy that very much.

Thank you for taking the time to thoroughly set down your thoughts for us to relish. Come back soon.

Best wishes,

Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We booked this resort after doing some research and being referred by our travel agent. After comparing 10 different resorts in both the Caribbean and Mexico, we decided to book the Sun Palace. We'll be arriving in early August and simply cannot wait. My 'new' in-laws stayed here two years ago and could not stop raving about the resort, food and overall experience. I cannot wait to see for myself! The reviews add to our excitement - looking forward to writing a rave review myself when we return! :)

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Count on us to make it your best trip ever.

If there is anything we can do before your arrival to enhance your stay, my e mail is at the end. Do not think twice.

Thank you for choosing Sun Palace. See you soon.

Cordially,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

this place is the closest thing to paradise you can come close to.
went here for my girlfriends 25th birthday, she loved it and so did i
the in room minibar the 24/7 room service and in the in room jacuzzii ment we didnt leave our room for the 1st 3 days, absolute heaven

a must go !!!

Room Tip: dont go for 7 days go for 10 days.!!!!!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, 2 days ago
It is a privilege to be-even if just for a few moments-touted as paradise.

Of course, your circumstances certainly point to a marvelous few days. What a wonderful way to spend a vacation! We are happy for both of you.

Thank you for choosing us to be your "paradise". We hope that you decide to do it again soon.

Best regards,

Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Spent two weeks at this hotel from June the 23rd to the 7th of July. From the moment we arrived it was brilliant. All the staff were friendly and helpful, bringing us drinks whilst sat by the pool and even the beach. The restaurants were lovely. Food was really really good and the amount of choice was unbelievable. the room was clean and tidy and was always cleaned to a high standard daily. the views of the beach from the room were breath-taking. Thank you Sun palace for such an amazing stay. I will definitely be back.

pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Thank you for such kind words on our resort.

It is our honor and duty to keep things in order and cleanliness for our precious guests as is our pleasure to serve you and form a part of unforgettable moments.

We appreciate your glowing description of our environement and of the way you felt whilst at Sun Palace.

Do not take too long in returning.

With best feelings!

pwinkler@palaceresorts.com

Been to Sun Palace? Share your experiences!