“Spectacular Resort” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sun Palace

You added Sun Palace to your Saves list
Sun Palace
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd. Kukulcan Km 20 | Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #5 of 179 Hotels in Cancun
Galloway, Ohio
“Spectacular Resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

This was my first time to Cancun and I was really excited to visit Mexico. When I arrived I couldn't believe how beautiful the hotel was and how wonderful the staff was to me as well. They took my luggage and said they would take it to my room as soon as it was ready and in the mean time to go ahead and get checked in, grab a bite to eat at the restaurant and take a stroll through the hotel and get accustomed to the location of everything. Checking in to the hotel was a breeze and then I went and sat on the veranda of the restaurant and had lunch while admiring the waves crashing in to the beautiful sands that were mere footsteps away. The photos on the internet were quite accurate and it was amazing how lovely this place was. Later when I finally got to my room I was amazed at how lovely my view was from my concierge room on the 6th floor overlooking the Gulf of Mexico. What lovely photos I took of that view. The whirlpool tub was huge and could fit at least three people in it. The jets felt awesome on my sore back and I was glad I brought my bath oils for the tub so that I could linger in the aroma of the tub while listening to the ocean waves. That night at dinner (and other nights after that) my lovely and wonderful waitress Maria Magana took me around the world with her magnificent talents of making International coffee drinks for me. She made me Mexican coffee, Mayan coffee, and I believe it was called Franciscan coffee. I will always remember how wonderful Maria was and I hope if I ever come back to Sun Palace that Maria will be here and maybe her and I can sit and talk and maybe catch up over one of her delicious coffee drinks. She is a wonderful woman who was a delight to have served me. I hope nothing but the best for her and her daughters! She deserves nothing less than the best. She was a joy and I will miss her!!

Room Tip: Choose a gulf view above the pool near the spa; it's quieter on that side.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, February 1, 2014
What a very dear description of your feelings and experience. Thank you!

Ah...I guess the whirtpool coul hold three people. But in the interest of tradiional values we only allow two guests per room. (I know you are joking. So am I.)

I also hope you had one of the flambéed coffees per night. Or did you have all three? This is potent stuff. Since it is served hot it goes right to your head.

You are very kind to mention Maria. These ladies work hard and even so have the traction to get home and take care of their children. They certainly are admirable.

I am sure she will be here for your return.

With our best wishes,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,224)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Moncton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

Totally enjoyed our week at the Sun Palace!!

The hotel is clean, the beach is awesome and the service is excellent. You can no longer upgrade your room with the resort credits however and the tax is 16%, we used the credits for a couple massage (worth $250 paid $40), the Chef's Dinner (which was great) and some upgrades on wine. The app on the iPhone-Ipad is good to know what you can do with the credits and to keep track of same. We ended up with a presidential suite room which was great. The beds are so comfortable and I loved the straightening iron and Chi products.

Room service is good, but sometimes cold which is to be expected, even at the best hotels. We still enjoyed it immensely. We even saw people ordering food on the beach!

The employees work so hard, we tipped them good. Service is a priority and it shows.

We really enjoyed the à la cartes restaurants and most things in the buffet are made upon order, ensuring the hotness of the food which we appreciated. The fire show was very good, we enjoyed it, and the Chef's Dinner (with a surprise at the end) was GREAT! Loved the food, loved the wine and thought the chef and manager were adorable. Loved the live band as well.

I would return and recommend it.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
I am glad you had a good stay and would like to clarify the tax and fee which is partially due to a bit of history: There were two boirder cities that had a special treatment by the Mexican IRS because at some point they were considered "free zones": Cancun and Los Cabos. The rest of the country had a 15 % tax which was upped 1 % as of January 1. But both these two cities were also stripped of their nomeclature of "free zone" and equalled to the rest of the country, at 16 %. It is a very steep increase not only for our visitors but for the citizens as well. No one is happy..except, of course, the government.

Despite this you were very kind in your review and it is an added bonus that even though you experienced our "inflation" first hand, you still had nothing to say other than nice things about us.

This is very valued.

With dearest regards,
TEXAS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

We only stay at the Sun Palace in Cancun.....January is our visit time each year and has been for a number of years. Friendly, attentive staff create a homecoming atmosphere. Friends have joined us there and been impressed. We love it!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
I felt so important through your words....

It is like: "we like it so much we wouldn't think of staying anywhere else".

Wow, what an ego trip for me!

Thank you, thank you. We feel like we're the "cat's pajamas" for these words !

Warmest regards
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

I'm writing this review really late, but I thought better late than never right? We stayed in May of 2013, and this was our second stay at Sun Palace (we are already planning our 3rd visit in May of 2014!).

Arrival: We arived around noon, booked conceirge level room and check in was a breeze. Our room wasn't ready quite yet, so we went to the buffet resturant for lunch (the name currently escapes me).

Food: For an all inclusive the food was pretty good. Our favorite was La Tratto (Italian). It does have a dress code, so men...be sure to pack a pair or two of pants. Lunch options are a little limited, which there was a sit down, service resturant. All that is open for lunch is the same resturant that is open for breakfast (buffet style), a grill by the swim up bar pool, and you can order off a menu and have food brought to you at the beach or pool (try the chicken quesadillas!).

Room: We stayed in a conceirge level room, on the 5th floor. Wonderful view!!!! Room is an excellent size. Felt that the AC worked good. We've stayed at other All Inclusives and it seemed we were never able to get the temp comfortable, it was always too warm. I will add, that it would be nice to have a ceiling fan in the room. Bed was comfortable. Addequate closet and drawer space. Jucuzzi tub was GREAT! In room bar was good. Conceirge level has upgraded liquiors. Room as a TV and DVD player and I believe there are movies you can "rent" (free), just check with the conceirge.

Service: This is the main reason I wanted to write this review...service. It is excellent at this resort. Wanted to name a few employees by name to give them props :)
Maria Virginia - waitress at the quiet pool. Wonderful, we never wanted for anything.
Luis Angel - bartender at the Quiet Pool. Loved him, friendly, learned our drink of choice quickly. Every time I walked by the bar, he would yell "Miami Vice!"
Gustavo - Our FAVORITE waiter the whole trip! He was at La Tratto. So amazingly friendly. One of the best waiters I've EVER had at a resturant. We even made a point to talk to Mr Winkler and let him know how wonderful Gustavo was!
Omar - Manager at La Tratto, again, he was extremely friendly and accomodating. Funny too!
Conceirges - they were all wonderful! I had a few special requests that I wanted to get taken care of before our arrival. The conceirges were very helpful, even arranging a special little surprise for our anniversary, and a different wine in the room upon arrival!

Spa: We booked an 80 minute aromatherapy couples massage, and a 25 minute massage (included with the conceirge room). Both were very very good. Best massages I've ever had. Highly recommend.

Beach: Water is quite rough, be careful if you get out in it. It knocked me down several times.

We also booked the Chef's Dinner. I think it's every Thursday night. Highly recommend this as well. Food was wonderful!!!

All in all; I highly recommend this resort. Staff is friendly, accomodations are wonderful. And it's adults only, so no kids running around. I will say it's a very quiet resort. My husband starts to get bored rather quickly. A sports bar would be a wonderful addition to the property, as well as a sit down service resturant at lunch.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
It does seem that it is never to late for good comments such as yours.

Why is it that when they are not as good, it is never too early?

As is, you have an amazing sense of recollection to the point where you remember so many names. Many of them you will see upon arrival next May.

When our guests have a good sojourn it puts an onus for us to offer yet a better experience on returning.

So come prepared,
Aberdeen, South Dakota, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

We just returned from our trip. We were there January 21-28 and had great weather except for one day that rained and rained. That day we had scheduled our manicures, pedicures and massages and also took advantage of the steam room, sauna and hot tub in the spa facilities. And after our treatments we went into the lobby bar and played Jenga. So we had it planned perfectly by scheduling everything on a rainy day. My husband and I also used our resort credit ($300 max) on a 50 minute couple massage and would definitely recommend that.

The food overall was excellent. We took advantage of room service three evenings and could order not only from the room service menu but a special menu that featured items from the restaurants. We also enjoyed the shrimp cocktails every afternoon after coming in from the beach and pool. We also did the beach dinner the evening before we left. That was so nice and the weather was perfect for that and we enjoyed the entertainment. Also make sure you order a Mayan coffee for an after dinner drink. It is wonderful and the presentation is the best. Jorge from the Italian restaurant and Gabriel from the Alamo restaurant did a great job with the Mayan coffee! We also enjoyed Amando who is an Illusionist!

We went to the Michael Jackson show and was really really good and also enjoyed the Retro Show. We would recommended going to both!

We golfed three days at the Moon Palace. We had teetimes at 800 am and pretty much stayed right on time with our teetimes. The golf course is the best and once again the service is above and beyond!

The beach and pool area was so much fun to just relax or get in on the fun with the pool activites. The service each day in both areas was wonderful! They were always there waiting on you!

Again the trip was wonderful and next year when we return, we are going to try to stay two weeks! They only complaint was the hotel is definitely showing some wear and tear and that needs to be addressed. The other thing is the $1500 resort credit. Our friends that came with us took full advantage with it and used it for golfing at the Moon Palace but for us who are members felt it is what my husband called empty dollars. We used $250 of the $1500 for a couples massage and rest we rolled over for our next visit. We feel that Palace Premier Members are penalized for being members and that is not right! We did write a letter before we left and left it with member services and hope it gets to the right people in charge!

Room Tip: Stayed in Room 424 and our friends stayed in 423. This is a Presidential Suite with a living room a...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Thank you for all the great things you have to say about Sun Palace.
We enjoy your visits very much.

You mention two issues which I've addressed in the past but gladly will again: Wear and tear of the hotel: It has been totally a matter of time, not money. We've been running full for the past 12 months and this makes taking care of major details very difficut. For instance, facade paint: We've been through two purveyors. For whatever the reason they come and paint (and I am talking big names such as Sherwin-Williams) and not a month goes by when the paint starts peeling. Believe me when I say the issue is foremost in my mind. When we invoke the guarantees they sort of "disappear". Of course we will prevail but it is frustrating and my guests should know.

You also mention the credits usage. We are working to offer our repeat guests a more ample choice of activities for you to do. Your writing has reached the appropiate persons.

In all, I am glad that in general you stay was satisfactory and will be ready for your next one.

Cordially,
Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

We recently returned from a week at the Sun Palace. This was my first all-inclusive experience and I was not sure how I was going to like it. I was pleasantly surprised, and found that it was very enjoyable. I wouldn't do an AI every trip, but it was perfect when the goal of the trip was relaxation and enjoying time with your spouse/significant other. The resort itself was lovely, the rooms were beautiful and the service and staff were outstanding. Maria, Marisol, Mario, Consuella and Daniel are just few of the many wonderful staff members that I would like to recognize.

The resort is on the quieter end of the peninsula. After taking the bus into the busier part, I am very grateful to have stayed where we stayed. Upon check in we were offered the concierge upgrade option. We politely declined and I don’t feel as though we missed anything. Everyone’s priorities are different and for us, we were perfectly content without the upgrade. I was never really clear on the sections of the beach. The Diamond Club section was clearly marked, but the concierge section seemed to be a little vague. We actually found the middle section to be quite crowded and opted to spend our time a little further north on the beach where it wasn't so crowded.

The water was pretty rough when we were there and I would caution people about swimming. Unless you are a strong swimmer, I would recommend walking down the beach to the area near Club Med, where it was more protected. When we were there, we witnessed a swimmer in distress at a neighboring property, who had to be rescued by a lifeguard. I am not sure about the outcome, but it served as a good reminder to be respectful of the water.

We did not partake in any of the excursions and used only a nominal amount of our resort credits on incidentals. I know many people have complained about the resort credits, but we didn't book the Sun Palace because of them and so don’t feel badly that we didn't use them. If we wanted to take some of the excursions, it would have been a nice perk.

The food in the restaurants was consistently good. We didn't have any bad meals, although I can’t say we had any outstanding meals either. We liked doing room service for breakfast, favored the Alamo for lunch vs the pool buffet/grill and really enjoyed both the Steak and the Italian restaurant. The setting at the Asian restaurant was outstanding, although it was a little too windy to enjoy it.

We left the resort only twice. One night we took the bus to the Beach Palace for dinner. Another day we took the bus to Playa Tortugas and caught the ferry to Isla Mujeres. The bus was very easy and inexpensive. When we left the resort the staff was always helpful in making sure we knew where we were going. Once we were on the bus, the bus driver was helpful in making sure we got off at the right stop.

Overall we really enjoyed our week at the Sun Palace and honestly, there is nothing I wish had been different. We didn't do a lot of research before booking this resort and after looking at the mega resorts down the strip, we were grateful to have been at such a beautiful, intimate resort such as the Sun Palace.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
I enjoyed your review very much, even if it was only a 4 pointer and would like to take the opportunity to emphasize your words on swimming in the ocean.

I have been on the verge of ousting hard hardheadeds who insist on putting their life at risk and maybe one of these days I'll have to. Ok. You had some drinks and your senses are not altoghether there. For Pete's sake! Would you jump off your balcony? No one so far.
But not only are you risking your integrity. Someone has to come get you before you go under. That someone has a family and-admittedly- while getting paid to be a lifeguard this in no way enttails suicide missions.

Sorry to be so forceful but this situation is beyond comprehension.

I am very indebted to you for bringing the issue up. Thank you for your concern and wise words.

On a lighter note, it is great how you describe your stay and we always look for our guests' kind comments.

I hope to see you return in the future.

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

Excellent staff who were all very friendly and helpful. The beach was beautiful. The room was amazing. My girlfriend and I only went for a day but it was definitely worth it. We had a view of the beach from our room and it was amazing

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
So glad we met with your approval.

I sincerely hope that your next visit will be a little longer. In one day it is rather difficult to fully appreciate our resort, even if it is one of the smaller ones.

Please let us know whenyour return will be.

Best regards,

Been to Sun Palace? Share your experiences!