“Fantastic food & bar service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sun Palace

Save Saved
You added Sun Palace to your Saves list
Sun Palace
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd. Kukulcan Km 20 | Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
$1500 Resort Credit
Ranked #4 of 172 hotels in Cancun
Bishop Auckland, United Kingdom
“Fantastic food & bar service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

The best features of this hotel was the excellent quality of fresh food and quality drinks. In particular the service and hospitality of 'Samuel' who works in the evening in the main lobby bar. He is an excellent and attentive bar tender who is always entertaining with jokes. The rest of the team including 'Nolberto' further complimented the good service.

We made use of the resort credits by upgrading our room and having massages, we only had the tax to pay.

• Stayed December 2013
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Ok....
So where's the beef?

Would you mind letting me know where we can improve? (pwinkler@palaceresorts.com)

However, thank you fo the kind comments you vest on F&B service. I sure hope to have the honor of hosting you again.

3,325 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (915)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

We have stayed at Sun Palace several times. We like it because it is intimate and warm. The manager, Pablo Winkler, makes it his business to meet and greet guests and make sure you are happy. His staff follows his lead and are every bit as attentive.The food is excellent, especially the chef's dinner and the romantic dinner.It is nice to be at a couples only resort and we always find everyone friendly.We are looking forward to our next visit in January. just a few weeks away.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Why, thank you. You make me feel very important.

I love time with my guests. If I could I'd do it all day! But not to be....this "Brave New World" of nowadays has me sitting in a chair staring at a screen.

Fortunately, my kids have picked up the idea and they do not require much coaxing from me. Plus our patrons are really so nice. So it works out well.

Indeed, you've made me feel very special. You are most kind!

My best regards,
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

Nice hotel. Staff in the resort and on the beach can not be faulted.... You will never go thirsty. We used our credits to upgrade from a first floor room as it was quite noisy due to the restaurant during set up for breakfast from 6am onwards. The Concierge room was excellent. We both had a massage which was one of the best we have experienced anywhere, my wife had other treatments too and we also took a trip. All of this cost less that £150 in the tax charged. Very good value!. The gym is like something from a health club, far better than you usually get in a hotel. The beach is great and the loungers very comfy, although the sun does start to go off most of the beach and the pool from 2pm. Everybody then tries to get in one small area with sun until that goes at 3.30 ish. Still it is winter so in the summer it may last longer.
Only two things could improve the resort, only one of which they can change.
The entertainment in the evening is ok when it is the fire show or something put on by the hotel. However there appears to be a at least three nights when they have shows called "Anything goes", Karaoke, and Mexican idol (Karaoke again). So it goes from dining in a 5* resort with some nice music, to drinking in the bar at a 3* hotel on the Costa Del Sol with people who have been brainwashed into believing they can carry a tune. Although you may be lucky and go when somebody who is not tone deaf turns up.
The only other thing is something that they can not do anything about but you need to bear in mind if you go for two weeks as we did. This hotel is in an area where you can not go for a walk after dinner. It is on a busy road with an unsafe footpath and nothing within walking distance. You are forced to get a bus or taxi into town should you wish to walk your evening meal off or escape the singing.
All in all, a very nice hotel with only a couple of drawbacks. Judging by the quality of the Palace resorts I would be happy to try their hotel in Playacar next time, for the simple reason that if you want to walk off a few calories or get a change of scene, you can walk into town as we did last time we visited that area.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
I very much appreciate your input.

Although one of the difficulties of night life is personal preference I very much understand your point: We've tried everything. Live band, trio, duet, circus, magic show, etc.. All of the aforementioned get tepid answers from my guests. I am still looking for the perfect combination.

As such, I am happy that in general you felt well served in our property and hope to have the pleasure of hosting you again, or at Playacar. At any of our resorts that will satisfy your every expectation.

With best wishes,
Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

We returned to Sun palace mid July to celebrate our 28th anniversary. We had a wonderful time. I had to wait to send this review as there was not enough time between this trip to Sun Palace and our last one! We went to totally relax, rejuvenate, eat, drink and have some quality alone time. Everything went smoothly from the minute we arrived until the sad day that we left! This was our 4th time to Sun Palace. Well my husband’s 3rd as I took my grown daughter here in April (review for that trip also here). We knew that Sun Palace was just the place to totally relax and enjoy a few of the perks you get with the resort credits as well. The service here is just simply the best. Palace resorts are very successful when it comes to excellent service. You do get perks at Le Blanc but you pay a lot for those extras as well. We have travelled to The Royal in Cancun and Playa, Le Blanc, Playacar Palace, Beach Palace as well as some other places in the Caribbean. We have traveled to Cancun and area more than a dozen times. We travel to All Inclusive hotels. I research and research and research and find the hotels that best suit our needs and desires. So far the ones I have picked have suited us well. Sun Palace has everything we look for and the service is the best!!!!

Arrival: Air Canada flights were great and wait time at airport was maybe ½ hour or so. We got a green light and headed directly ahead to the outside to find our Air Canada sign. Do not stop to the little booths along the way or get sucked into someone saying your airline name…just go find your transfer company/air line outside. So many people get sucked into timeshare things there! Don’t be one of them. Best Day was our van and we were the first stop. Sun Palace is close to the airport which is a big plus! We were met with a cool towel and a flower. Ahhhh home again!

Check in: They tagged our luggage and we went to the 5th floor concierge. Yecora did a wonderful job of checking us in!! Concierge level means a private check in upstairs with a nice glass of champagne (or 2). Once all of the paper work was done (passports, credit card, forms filled out etc) she booked our concierge dinner. She had a menu and you choose steak or chicken as well as choices of soup, salad and dessert. She also booked the spa appointments for the included massages. Our room was not quite ready so we went for a bite to eat and then it was ready.

Room: We had a welcome banner and some nice treats as well as champagne. Having just been there in April I think we were a bit spoiled! It was our anniversary while we were there and they made our whole stay so special. Honestly I think I could almost just stay in my room and enjoy the balcony the whole time. We were on the quiet side with an amazing view of the hotels along the water. The ocean is so blue and the sand just lovely. We spent many hours out here on our trip. We love a great ocean view (hence my trip advisor name SeeSea as I do love to see the sea!!! ) Hearing the crashing waves and feeling the warm breeze with a nice cold drink or champagne is one of the things I treasure in life. The concierge room comes with some perks a well such as a special menu, higher end liquor, DVD/CD player (we bring a few CD’s with us…old school I know but we have a few favorites ), beach bag, chi hair dryer, chi hair straightener, great snacks (chocolate bar, nuts, chips, etc), petit fours at turn down, area on the beach, dinner on the beach, massages etc. We like the perks at this room level. You can also check out right at the desk on the floor as well. I would recommend getting a room with at least an ocean view! All of the rooms have the most comfy Jacuzzi.

Public Relations: Pamela at Public Relations was VERY, very helpful during our last two visits to Sun palace. She is such a sweet heart! I would like to thank her for making our trip extra special!!!! She really went above and beyond to make our stay even more special (if that is possible). She was very busy during the week we were there but I stopped by until she was alone to thank her and give her a hug. She is one special lady!!

Beach: Somehow the beach was even more beautiful in July than in April!! In April there was an area with a slight drop off and a few rocks showing in one spot. But not in July!!! It was flat, gorgeous, wide and just breathtaking!! We tend to spend lots of time at the pool but always make sure we take many walks on the beach. We would often get a drink and just walk down the beach…..gotta love it!! The sand here is so soft. When the beach was reconstructed a few years ago some areas ended up with a lovely beach but the sand is rough. That is not the case it…it is amazing. The beach in front of the Westin was the best when we were there in April and now it has a drop off and is not nearly as nice. I guess mother nature has a mind of her own and that is out of our control.

The service for drinks and food (yes food) is great on the beach and by the pool(s). If you want something to eat just ask and they will bring it to your chair. The chairs are amazing and they will put umbrellas where ever your heart desires. It doesn’t get much better than that. There is a concierge section. The padded chairs and service are the same. This was once a special concierge perk but not so much anymore but we think it is worth it for the other things! We tend to spend more time at the pools.

I think the hardest workers are the guys that put all of the heavy beach chairs out for people and dig in the umbrellas. At the end of the day there is one guy that drags them all back close to the resort. He works sooooooo hard!!! He needs to be commended on doing such a fabulous job. It is not easy at all. There is another young fellow that does a bit of everything around the resort and he will come and help him as well. These guys are saints and probably not recognized much. They are amazing employees!!

Pools: The pools here are not huge but we LOVE the set up. I love a pool that is on the beach and an infinity pool is the ultimate. The views of the water are top notch here. There are 3 pools…well really 4. The activity pool is the largest. This is where you will find the swim up bar and the water activities such as volleyball, aerobics etc. There is a pool back from this pool which is covered. This pool is good for really hot days, people that want a lot of shade and also good when it rains. The other pools are very small but perfect for amazing views of the ocean and for dips in the pool or leaning over the edge, drink in hand! One has chairs on the outside as well as on a ledge on the inside of the pool. There are maybe 20 chairs. Right beside this pool there is another pool with a similar set up but no chairs in the pool. If you do choose to sit here around 3:30ish they do come to set up the steak house here but you can just go to the beach for the last rays of sun. In the winter the sun will be gone anyways so if you need more just move to the beach. There is a bar by these smaller pools as well. Washrooms are close to all pools. This is best for those not wanting activities and more of a quiet atmosphere. The servers bring drinks all day long. You can also go and get one if you are looking to move around a bit!

During our stay we didn’t have to get up early to save chairs. This seems to vary with the crowd. This was a younger crowd during our stay so they weren’t up and about as early. We usually were out for our walk/run around 7 and there were no chairs saved at that time and it was pretty busy while we were there.

Activities:
This was my 4th time here and the activities are pretty much constant. These kids work so hard!! All of the entertainment staff did a great job. Stand outs on this trip were Eddie, Augustine and Vanessa. I had some wonderful chats with Eddie. It was great to see Augustine so confident this trip. He has changed so much from April to July! He has developed excellent leadership skills! These kids didn’t stop! Because it is not a huge pool they have to take the volleyball net down after each game. They play a couple of times a day, also water aerobics, trivia, bingo (at your chair or in the pool), horse shoes, beach volleyball, pool basketball, water polo….they mix it up through the week. The group, while we were there in July, was really into the activities so it was non-stop fun for those that wanted to get involved. We don’t do much but enjoy watching the others. My favorite activity was getting a drink and sitting on the ledge in the pool to watch the ocean!!

$1500: Some people are confused about the $1500 and complain. I think if you can get $1500 worth of stuff you love and only pay $165 for it then that is a fun deal. You don’t need to spend it at all if you don’t want to. You don’t need to spend any of it! It is totally up to you! I always have it planned out what I want to use so I don’t waste time deciding that. We did a romantic dinner on the beach (as well as the one that came with our room.) The meal was very nice and eating on the beach was sooooooo beautiful. I recommend this dinner and the spa. I had a deluxe manicure and pedicure, facial and a massage that came with the room. You can also go on tours, upgrade you wine, get tequila for home (we still have some from other trips) and a few other perks.

Drinks and Service: The drinks are excellent everywhere we went….by the pool(s), lobby bar, oriental bar (don’t forget to go there for a drink it is lovely up there), swim up bar etc. You can even make drinks in your room if you want with full bottles ready for dispensing right at your finger tips. All of the bartenders are amazing! Jose Luis Canul is the best bartender we have had and we have been on many trips. My husband watched him make drinks at the swim up bar all week and he could not believe how fast and skilled he was. We remember Jose from other trips and he only gets better and better! Also Luis Tejero was fantastic. He is also an amazing bartender and so friendly. Esau Gomas worked with them all week getting supplies etc and he should also be recognized for working so hard and doing an excellent job!! The drink service is quick and friendly no matter where you are. Karina was not working in our area but she always stopped by to say hi. She is such a sweetheart! Elfaga does such a wonderful job!! She was on the beach as well and we tend to stay by the pool but she always stopped by to say hello and get a hug. I would also like to mention two other fantastic employees! Reyna was out by the pool/food service on this trip. I remember from the Italian restaurant in April where she remembered our names and where we sat!! She came right over for a hug. There is a twinkle in her eye and something special about her. Also Estrella was there by the pool/grill all week. I remember her from another trip and she is fun, kind hearted and a sweetheart. I had mentioned that we had been married for 28 years and the next thing I knew they had a cake with candles for us by the pool. They announced our anniversary there and we enjoyed the great chocolate cake. They are great girls and I have a feeling they are going places!!

Restaurants: NO RESERVATIONS!!

Steakhouse….. We had perfect weather for our dinner here overlooking the ocean. Arturo was full of hugs and smiles as usual. He hasn’t slowed down any! Neither has Jorge. They continue to amaze us! The food was excellent. We had rib eye which was very tasty! There are salads, vegetables etc. My husband said something to me about getting French fries sometime and Arturo must have over heard and the next thing we knew we had French fries! They really go out of their way to please! They have samples set up of what you can get on your way in and there is more than steak. Don’t be afraid to ask!

Italian…. This continues to be one of my favorite restaurants. The first night we had Saydi (once again nice to have a woman included in the wait staff). She did an excellent job! The food here is delicious and we returned later in the week. I saw Alan there and should have asked to be seated in his section during our second visit as he is an amazing guy! He did stop by to say hello….love him! The food is delicious. They have a selection of cheese now as well. The only weak link here would be the desserts. I have tried just about everything there and nothing really makes me say…yum.

Oriental: This restaurant is another must do. We had drinks at the bar here which we love. You can just go for a drink and/or appetizers too. We had a great chat with Efrin. He made sure we had a very special meal. We went on a lovely warm evening. The views are also amazing here. We even received a special anniversary dessert which was yummy and very thoughtful!

Romantic Dinner on the Beach: One of our favorite ways to use the resort credits is for the dinner on the beach. We had another perfect evening for this. The steak was so tender and the shrimp large and tasty. All courses were delicious. We had drinks and champagne too. They have a Mexican trio that plays and sings a few songs here and they are excellent as usual. They also played at the concierge dinner. Sylvio was our waiter once again and he was wonderful. I believe he has served us at the Romantic dinner on the beach 3 times now. He is terrific. There is nothing like having a lovely meal on the beach with the waves crashing. It was our anniversary celebration this night and we got a happy anniversary dessert.

Concierge Dinner: This dinner was on the beach closer to the steps. You can choose your courses with the concierge person and set your date and time. There are two times... 6:30 and 8:30. I had Chicken which was delicious. My husband had the steak. It was good but was different than previous times we had it. He would probably choose the chicken next time. The service was excellent!!! Efrin brought us out (he was at the Italian that night). We had a great laugh with him at dinner that night! He is so funny! Our waiter here was also amazing and I remember him from April as well. The service was excellent. Having a dinner on the beach is very special even though we have done them many times.

Buffet: For breakfast we ate here most days and it was excellent. It has eggs to order, pancakes, waffles, bacon, fresh fruit , cereals, yogurt and lots more. Take your time and really look around. We had many wonderful wait staff here. A real treasure is Marisol. It is so nice to see more women serving and she is a gem. She is so friendly, kind and quick! We often exchanged hugs and she wanted to make sure I said hi to my daughter for her as we were there in April. She is an extra special person and she does her job with grace. We ate lunch here sometimes as well. There are LOTS of choices so please take your time and look around. They will grill lots of things for you. We had pasta a couple of times and had them grill chicken to slice on top….not a problem…just ask as they can’t read your mind. We had wonderful servers here as well. One young man…tall fellow with glasses….can’t recall his name….he and my husband had many great chats. He was a very interesting and did a wonderful job.

Lobby bar….in the morning I would get a coffee here before my walk. There are also continental breakfast items…..great little spot. They serve food/snacks here later in the day too. There are often activities going on here! The drinks are excellent and once again if you have a favorite brand ask for it when ordering. This is where you will find the dance floor, karaoke, couples show etc. It is not a huge spot but it is fun. There is a separate spot here if you want to smoke….great for the smokers and great for those that do not appreciate it….the best of both worlds! All drinks were great but they made a mean chocolate martini or mudslide here….no wonder I gained 5 pounds!! Between the great food and drinks expect to gain a few for sure!

Room Service: There is a breakfast menu that you can check off and hang on your door knob at night. We tend to order breakfast when we decide to as it is quick anyways. With the concierge menu there are more choices later in the day. You can order off a special menu in the concierge room AND there is another menu in the binder which is available in every room. Lots of great choices! We ordered dinner one night and it was quick and delicious. I also asked for something I had had at the Italian and they graciously prepared that for me for the room as well. They really do go beyond.

Pool Grill: Each day by the activity pool there is a grill set up. As I mentioned above there is lots of great food here! Great for those guests that don’t want to move too far!! We had everything here from chicken to beef to fish. There is a menu as well so don’t hesitate to ask for that.

Chef’s samples: Each day by the pool and then down to the beach the Chef’s come out with a little treat. It was always fun to see what the treat of the day would be! Yum!
Speaking of Chef’s… we had the pleasure to meet Edgar Poot this time. He stopped by to chat several times. We were very sorry we missed the Chef’s dinner (where you will see him in action with Pablo Winkler) but it was on our arrival say and we knew we would be too tired to appreciate it. People rave about this and you can do it with your resort credits!! Give it a try!!
Mexican Restaurant: We did not make it here this time but it is excellent as well! It is in the same spot as the buffet but done up extra nicely!

Shops: There are three different shops here. One store has jewelry which is quite expensive. You can use resort credits here sometimes but it is a limited amount so have not done this. There is also a hotel shop with clothing, hats etc. There are some very nice things here. There is also a store to the far left of the buffet. It is kind of tucked away so don’t miss it. You can buy souvenirs, snacks, lotions etc here. You will also find the binders for your travel companies down this hallway.

Other Entertainment: The entertainment staff have the stuff around the pool….see it posted on the wall by the pool walkway. They go around during meals dressed up to tell you about the evening shows. While we were there they had a fire show on the beach, 2 different karaoke nights, Anything Can Happen night in the lobby bar (fun time), Couples night….lots of laughs, and shows in the ballroom like Michael Jackson. They sometime have some casino like games. They have a pianist in the lobby bar earlier in the evening and another musician as well. There is also a DJ some nights after the main entertainment. So when people say there is nothing going on I really don’t know where they are staying! Depending on the crowd it can get quite lively but it really depends on the crowd. The last two times it has been lively but I have read reviews where it was quiet.

Pros:
Amazing staff…all of them were great!! From our private check in to pool service, to beach service to every meal we felt like we were very special. The food was very good and seemed even better than last visit. They are always looking at ways to improve.
Loved the Bar in the evening….karaoke, bands, games, great bar service. Although this is a small resort we found the evening entertainment fun. Having a fun group while we were there helps! I think being a smaller bar helped make it more personal. We really appreciated the no smoking inside.

Rooms are clean and well appointed….really large. Love the Jacuzzi and the ocean views
Staff is very friendly. We treat them with respect and show our appreciation. I know it sounds corny but a smile goes a long way. If you are polite everything is much better no matter where you travel!! Life is too short to be grumpy and rude. We have travelled to many places and there is always someone that is unhappy and rude. I honestly don’t know how people can be grumpy on such a wonderful vacation but no matter where we stay we notice at least one. Don’t be that person….live is too short!

Lovely beach and the water is just gorgeous.

Walk down by the club Med and you can snorkel if you have your own gear….calmer there
Red light/green light for maid service….use it…it really does work!! Even if you get a notice that turn down service has come change your light to green when you go out and they will often return.

Lots of hot water, big shower and great towels and robes

Palace dollar promotion is fantastic (you do pay 11% tax at check out) Do some research before you go to get the best bang for your buck…don’t want to spend the tax…don’t need to do anything with them

Service is amazing

If you want wine or champagne you just need to call room service

In concierge rooms there is great in house liquor and yummy snacks (chips, nuts, chocolate bar etc) ….like you need more food LOL!

The security is excellent.

Chi dryer, straightener and bath product

Nice big safe….my laptop fits

Best drinks and you can get champagne (sparkling wine) everywhere…even in your room. Not many hotels do that!

No reservations ….yahoo!

The guy cleaning and taking care of the pools does a great job. He is cleaning early in the day and making sure the water is balanced etc. He is a great guy!

Choices of house wines both red and wine….have extra palace bucks… ask for the wine list with prices and use some that way….yes you can get them way cheaper at a store but a nice perk with credits and a bit of tax

Do a photo shoot with your credits and some $....something to treasure forever!

Great spa..not huge but treatments are excellent

It is right by El Rey Ruins for those of you that might want to take that in….cheap and does not take much of your day at all.

Just a few minutes from the airport….a nice plus especially for those early morning departures or late in the day arrivals.

Rooms were always cleaned and fridge stocked

Lots of umbrellas!!! Not true of many other resorts we have stayed at. Need one…just ask and they will do everything possible to get one for you.

Food was excellent

Bus stops right in front…$1 to go to shopping, clubs etc or take a taxi

Calls to US and Canada included…just follow the steps on the card…it really works!
Internet…included..works well

Mini bar is well stocked with lots of water, pop, juice, beer

24 hour room service

No towel cards

The GM Pablo Winkler is often out and about chatting with guests and quietly overseeing things. He is to be commended on taking the time to really know his employees and guests and it is obvious that he takes people’s ideas seriously. Each time we go we can see things that he has improved at this gem of a resort.

Cons: Not many!

This is not super close to the clubs which we knew….about 12 minutes by taxi and it was about $13 or $14 each way. The bus is right there so for a buck you can go there as well. So this is not really a con but good to know. On the flip side though it is close to the airport and the beach is not super busy!

I miss the padded chairs by the infinity pools. They are now all on the beach. They have some lovely pads on the chairs behind the glass and under by the covered pool. These look great. I would love these by the pools too. I know that is getting very picky and spoiled but I miss them.

Some new desserts in the Italian would be great.

The concrete along the beach side in front is starting to show wear and tear and will be needing some upgrading. The pool tiles replacement is ongoing and I did read something on here that they will be doing some work in this area at night.The down side of being a great resort is it is difficult to find a time to do these upgrades without disturbing people. I know they are working on it.

Tips:

We always walk/run on the beach each morning and this is a nice beach for walking. We also discovered that if you turn to the left outside of the front of the hotel and walk a very short ways there is a wide jogging/walking walkway that is extra wide. You can go for a long ways here. We found ourselves using this most days. There was lots of shade from the trees and it was nice and flat.

Know what you want to use your resort credits on before going….not sure what they are ask on the Trip Advisor forum and we can help you. They do change.

Oceanview balconies are higher but keep in mind that they are smaller and not as private but still amazing. Lower ones are private. A resort view is just that…not of the ocean.

On TV there are a few music stations. We enjoyed I think it was the 70”s station while in the Jacuzzi…there are other ones too. We also listened to the music we brought.

A smile and manners go a long way

When in the pools don’t rub up against the pool wall and sit carefully. The side and seats are a bit rough and can pick your bathing suit. I have never had it happen as I am just aware of it and sit carefully. If it was completely smooth there would be many slipping accidents hence why it is a bit rough.

I f you are not interested in the timeshare like programs be firm and polite to the guest services people. We do not like to waste our precious vacation time with such things but we know many people that find the Palace program to be worthwhile. From Nova Scotia the flights are just too expensive to make it worthwhile. Going to see Moon Palace and offer of free stuff (other than the resort credits you already get) means timeshare. Interested….do it. Not interested…..firmly and politely say no!

When the balcony door is open the AC does not work of course and the floor can get slippery. Also there may be a windy sound that comes from under your main door…just put your bath mat along the bottom and no more annoying sound!! Watch the floors especially after a few drinks!! The slippers they provide will help a bit…..this is true of all resorts we have been to…the tile floors can be slippery.

The lights take a while to figure out! They have lights under the hot tub in the room…so nice!
Want upgraded liquor in your drinks just ask for the brand you want. If they are not strong enough ask for a double or a little over the top. People that say the drinks are not strong enough…I don’t get it…ask for stronger! Simple as that!!

They do take American money most places (not huge bills) They don’t mind the tips in US $ Pesos work too of course!

Not happy with something….let them know in a polite way and they will do anything reasonable for you

Need a room card in the slot by the door to activate the power

Going somewhere by taxi…ask bellboys out front….ask how much it should be and ask taxi upfront any where you go and return

Want new room towels etc put them on the floor or in the shower….otherwise they will hang them up (green initiative) same as at hotels at home. There are lots as you get them for the tub and shower!

Don’t miss out on the Oriental restaurant Bar….great spot for a drink and such a nice outdoor bar!!!

Check out the lobby/sports bar in the evening….lots of fun.

Go to Beach Palace and check out the Sky Bar (on the roof)

Check out La Isla Mall…a great outdoor mall with an aquarium, tons of places to eat or have a drink, great shopping and just a very neat atmosphere! Not far from Beach Palace.

Enjoy every minute as your trip is over in a flash! Take a few pictures to remember this great spot! Any questions just private message me. Enjoy!!
Will we be back…absolutely!

Room Tip: Get a superior Oceanview or better to get those amazing views of the ocean. Concierge has some great...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
I would counter your title by saying that the ones that got spoiled are us.

You write a very complete and endearing review and touch on all points. It is obvious you've been here before as you know what and when to look for things.

I loved many of the descriptions but I liked your quotes even better: "Life is too short to be grumpy." and "A smile and manners go a long way." Both so true.

I guess one of the reasons we have better sand is that we never replentish because it comes back on its own. Go figure why...

And yes, if you open your balcony door the air conditioner will stop. This is to prevent the floor from getting more slippery by the temperature shock between warm and cold air.

We will count the days for your return. You are very gracious guests and very well liked.

Warmest sentiments,
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

My Husband and I celebrated our 20th Anniversary at the Sun Palace at the end of November. This was our first time staying right in Cancun, but we have stayed in multiple resorts in the Riviera Maya.

This was our first time travelling to a hot destination without kids so we were looking for something different. I chose the Sun Palace based on the adults only criteria and the fact that we have stayed at Moon Palace in the past so are familiar with ‘the Palace standard’. I also wanted to try a smaller place as have only stayed in very large resorts in the past.

First impression of the property would be understated elegance. The Lobby is very inviting, not flashy, but well decorated. Upon arrival the bellman presented a flower, but we were not offered cold towels or welcome drinks during check-in. A bit of a letdown after a long, tiring day of travel.

I did email ahead and requested a room with an oversize balcony. The front desk agent let me know that an upgrade to Concierge was available as I requested, so we went ahead and used resort credits to upgrade. It is my understanding that the upgrades using credits promo is ending soon and only ‘real’ dollars will be accepted in the near future.

I was thrilled with our room on the 6th floor! The layout was as expected with the King Size bed and double Jacuzzi tub. The view was absolutely outstanding and the oversize balcony was amazing with a double lay down lounger as well as the small table & 2 chairs. We spent many hours on the balcony; it was actually hard to leave the room at times because of it. I read many reviews before my trip, but was still surprised by how noisy this hotel is. Being all tiles in the hall and room the noise from the hallway carries into the guestroom very loudly. I found it impossible to sleep in at this hotel because as soon as guests start getting up and around in the morning you could hear everything so loudly in your room. I’m not sure what remedy could help with this, but I consider it quite a big problem. The only other complaint I have with the rooms is the frosted toilet door set up. We enjoy our privacy in this regard and did not like the lack of privacy in the bathroom. This is not exclusive to Sun Palace, I know many of the newer resorts and especially Adults Only Resorts seem to be going with this frosted door on the toilet set-up. Honestly, I have no idea why this has become a standard almost for modern resorts. I am not a fan.

Resort Credits: We chose Sun Palace partly for the added value of the credits. They are not a scam, but you have to do your research upfront so that you understand them. A timeshare presentation is NOT required to get them, they will offer extra if you agree, but that is your choice yes or no. If you do not use any credits then no room charge, any you do redeem you have an 11% room charge. This is minimal for the value you get. We used credits for Upgrade to Concierge, couples massage; pedicure & golf lesson @ Moon Palace. We had lots left over this time as were not interested in tours. We also took advantage of the 2 free tickets to the SNL show @ Moon Palace. This did not include transportation, but we used the free shuttle earlier in the day (11:15am or 1:30pm) and just took a taxi back after the show (free shuttle returns are 5pm/7pm). We wanted to spend a day there anyways, such an amazing place! Being back at the Moon Palace showed how much money has been spent there on upgrades in the past couple of years and I think its Sun Palace’s turn for some upgrades of their own!

Lobby Bar and nightlife. This is a pretty quiet resort, we only attended one show in the lobby bar and it was interactive and lots of fun. After visiting the Sky Lounge at Moon Palace and the Sports Bar at Beach Palace, the lobby bar at Sun is pretty disappointing. I think it needs a complete overhaul. It is the only place to go at night so I’m sure the logistics of closing it during renovations are challenging, but it needs a change to the furniture, layout and decor. The wooden dance floor in the middle is a major tripping hazard as well.

Food: This was the biggest difference to me between a larger and smaller resort. The food was good to really good and for the size there is a decent selection, but I missed having a buffet choice for dinner and always available snacks for grabbing. I know there is 24hour room service, but sometimes you just want to grab a little something. My recommendation is to make the Mexican Restaurant both an a la carte for Mexican, but also have the buffet going to offer the choice, or alternate every second night? For snacks they put some in the lounge between 5-7pm, how about making this available all evening? Or maybe add a coffee bar with sandwiches and desserts etc. We ate at the Steak, Italian, Romantic Dinner on Beach and the special buffet on US Thanksgiving. The Steak service was lousy, but the Ribeye Steak was incredibly good. The Dinner on the beach was amazing, such a great way to celebrate our Anniversary and the weather even cooperated, only non windy night of our stay! The Italian service and food were both very good. I had quite a few tummy troubles on this trip so unfortunately, we ended up eating room service dinner on 2 nights, the service and food was good, but honestly would have preferred to eat in a restaurant of course. Buffet for Breakfast and Lunch was excellent as well as poolside food at lunch. Service in the buffet ranged from ok to excellent depending whose section you were sitting in.

The beach here is absolutely stunning. Has been a rough fall weather wise, and our stay wasn’t all sunshine either, but we enjoyed a couple of days of very calm seas. The beach beds are ultra comfy and service on the beach for chairs, umbrellas and drinks is excellent. On the not so nice days I wished that the covered Jacuzzi pool was heated to hot. That would also be nice for an evening dip as well, something to consider.

We had a good trip and if you do your research this could be great resort for you. But, that is the key read the reviews, and look at the pictures of this and other resorts. This is a very quiet, romantic, couple’s only resort. It is not all flashy with nonstop action. The Sun Palace is where you come to just escape it all and refresh. Because of this, I think the noisy rooms are a major problem as they don’t fit the resort’s reputation. I probably wouldn’t return as it just didn’t wow me, maybe it was just not the right pick for us. Service was inconsistent, sometimes excellent, sometimes acceptable and sometimes not. Maybe I’m too picky, I wanted to Love this place, but it’s not a cheap choice, when I’m spending that kind of money I expect to be ‘Wowed’.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet location
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Coming from such a seasoned traveller as yourself, every comment is very seriously taken.

I do not feel good about your not "feeling wowed" for we do hope so for every guest.

Your mention of upgrades to the property is not the first one and Palace Resorts is the first one to acknowledge. We have been steadily moving in this direction and it is only because of the tremendous occupancy we have been favored with that we haven't done major things. However the Palace Standard will be met.

Very appropiate points of view distinguish your message and as I said, experienced tourists give us opinions that we heed.

Thank you for choosing us. I am sure we can convince you to return when we feel we've reached the stature that you an us want to be at.

Best regards,
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

Our annual pilgrimage to The Sun Palace Resort in Cancun, Mexico was as wonderful as ever. Their consistent professional service and friendly staff, demands an annual visit when possible. Great restaurants throughout the very spacious, "Right on the Beach," well maintained resort.

No car needed, as all Cancun buses run parallel to the resort in both directions, for downtown shopping and clubbing, @ $1.00 each way. A perfect, Quiet, "Adult only all inclusive," get away vacation. Only 20 minutes from Cancun airport.

Special Thanks to Managers, Mr. Mar'tin Cano, Manuela, Mr. Luis, Efrain, Daniel and Chef Poot.
Gracias: Waiters and Bartenders, Jose Luis, Jussif, Juanito, Armando, Estrella, Karina, Rubi, Luis Angel, Miquel Angel, Norberto, Jorque Delgado, Auturo, Yanghi, Dahlia, Pedro Brito, Miriam, Maria Virginia and entertainments, Aaron and Vanessa. Thank you as well, to lifeguard Raul. Special thanks to Guest services Ms. Nan, Mr. Michael Mendez and Ms. Erica. Mucho Gracia's.

Room Tip: We Prefer the upper floors for the views.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank ou for a splendid review and for your continued patronage of Sun Palace. Your returning means everything to us.

I have to ask though: Where did we not please that you scored us with 4 points instead of our favored five?

Would you please tell me? It is as important as the nice words your vest on us. (pwinkler@palaceresorts.com)

Thank you again for your kindness and support.

Best thoughts,
vancouver washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

We arrived at the Sun Palace with our friends Barry and Judy on the evening of Nov 18th. Our friends stayed for a week, however my wife Trudy and I stayed for two weeks and left on Dec 2nd. (this was our 7th year in a row that we have spent two weeks at Thanksgiving at Sun Palace)..
We were met at the front desk by Martin, the front desk manager and he was incredibly helpful, showing us our rooms prior to registering and making our arrival so special. We were very pleased with his room selections.
There was a sign over our bed stating "welcome back home". It made us feel very special and appreciated. We had an end room with a view looking out at the ocean and a wonderful view up the beach. The balcony was huge!
The maid service and turn down service were great. Towel animals several times.
Food: As usual, the food was great. There was a good selection and if you ordered something cooked, it came just as you wanted it. We ate at The Steak several times and it was our friends and our favorite. Arturo and Jorge were the best!! We have known both of them for several years and find them very helpful and entertaining. They both worked The Steak and if the weather was not good they worked inside at the Mexican.
Each morning I was greeted by Miriam and Sheila at the breakfast buffet. They are both very friendly and fun. I will truly miss these two charmers!! I always tried to sit with Pablo outside for breakfast. We have known Pablo for many years and he is always friendly and courteous.
We ate at the Italian one night and the Asian three nights. The Italian was good however the Asian was a great dining experience. We also ate at the Mexican one night and it also was very good. Again, our favorite and our friends favorite was the Steak.
Lunch by the pool was always good with a great variety. We did eat inside at the buffet a few times and found it very enjoyable with good selections.
Staff: (where to begin). We missed seeing Jaime however Martin made us very happy and took wonderful care of us. At the pool, we were served mostly by Jose and my favorite Karina. They both kept our drinks full and were fun to talk to and interact with. Again, Arturo and Jorge at The Steak were amazing!. The entertainment staff was their usual "top of the line". Aron has another great staff. Vanessa and Edel were still there from last year and the two others, Agustin and Francisco Javier rounded out the crew. They were all entertaining, helpful and lots of fun to interact with. They all played volleyball with us and made that experience memorable. Customer service is very high on each and every employees mind.
Thanksgiving was a wonderful experience at Sun Palace again. The ice sculptures were amazing and the food incredible. You had several choices, some of which were roasted turkey, (best turkey so far in the seven years we have spent there), prime rib, ham and your choice of steaks. Thank you Mr. Winkler for making this American tradition so special again. Thank you also for the wonderful staff that has made us feel at home and treated so special each year.
The incredible staff and the personal attention we receive at this smaller and intimate resort are the major reasons we choose Sun Palace each year.
We hope to see you all again soon.

Dave and Trudy

Room Tip: Almost all rooms have ocean views. Try to get one with a straight out view of the ocean.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
As always, thank you for your wonderful company. Guests that feel at home with us are priceless.

On behalf of my staff, as well, we appreciate your very kind and eloquent words. Definitely the "at home" feeling is a result of you and your interaction with the staff.

Thanksgiving dinner was indeed a very grand affair. We've come a long way during this time in no way thanks to the kindness of several of our guests who have chipped in to make sure our menu is the same as if you'd be back home. I agree the turkey was very good.

It is our pleasure to have you in the house. Great guests, amicable disposition; no wonder this is condusive to great times.

Our best to you,

Been to Sun Palace? Share your experiences!