“perfect trip!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sun Palace

You added Sun Palace to your Saves list
Sun Palace
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd. Kukulcan Km 20 | Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Cinco de Mayo 40% Off
Ranked #5 of 179 Hotels in Cancun
Cleveland, Ohio
“perfect trip!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

The Sun Palace was amazing!! The food was GREAT! Everything was fresh even at the buffet. My husband loved all the different seafood they offered and the steak house had mouth watering steaks. The beach could not have been more perfect! Extremely comfortable lounge charis with big fluffy cousions to relax on all day! The staff was always friendly and attentive. Our favorite was Jusiff, he was right there everytime we needed a drink at the beach, always with a smile on his face! This resort was only 10 min drive from the air port and has a bus stop right in front to take you to town. We just got home yesterday and already are planning the next trip there! Thank you Sun Palace for a fun, relaxing and memorable trip! See you soon!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Exactly what we look for in every guest experience.

It is great that you enjoyed your stay. Definitely good use of good money. And thank you for conveying your feelings back.

For our type of client I do think we are well located. Nowadays all you want is to get away from the airport as soon and as fast as possible. That certainly speaks on our behalf.

And while not centrally located, we do manage to avoid traffic, noise and yet, as you so aptly put it, still be within reasonable time of any place of interest our guests might care to go.

Thank you so much for your kind words. Do plan to come back soon.

Best feelings,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,222)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Mattawa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

Just returned from the Sun Palace after celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary. I have to say that it was still an amazing place to visit.
It started before the trip with communications with Pamela trying to make this a special occasion and surprise for my wife. Pamela was amazing and very helpful. She handled flowers, room decorations and a special dinner for us and our friends that traveled with us. Everything was spot on! When Pamela wasn't at the desk to ask questions, Carla was there without a missed step.
We can't thank Eddie at the pool, Daniel over at the Japanese restaurant and the amazing Arturo(crazy good waiter/host) and (his brother)George at the Steak restaurant. You folks were great.

We did have a few missteps when it came to using and scheduling point usage. Not sure if the concierge host that booked it was new, but we stood at a couple counters waiting for the confusion to be fixed at the golf course because of the scheduling issues. Hopefully the hotel is planning some upgrades soon, it is showing some signs of wear and tear.

All that said it was an amazing 8 days and THANK YOU to Mr. Winkler and the amazing staff members that we dealt with!!

Room Tip: Our room was right over the Steak Restaurant and it had an amazing view. This was a concierge level...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
I enjoy seeing names attatched to services that have made a good impression.

Not only do these kids get points in the incentives program, they are reassured by your kind words that their personal intervention made a difference. This is the best way to thank them.

We have been planning upgrades for over a year now. Occupancy has been high and everone wants upgrades, just not while they are here. It does make for a complex situation. Nevertheless, we forge on.

I am sure your next visit will see major changes and thank you for your interest in the well being of our property.

Best regards,
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

My wife and I just returned from another great stay at Sun Palace, our 3rd. It was part of a split trip that also included Hyatt Zilara (The Royal), which I'll also review.

Everything from my previous two reviews of this resort holds up. Resort was approaching 100% occupancy over Thanksgiving weekend, but this had little if any effect. That's even with rain a couple of days so they had to move the two outdoor restaurants into the Alamo space; the space was very busy but manageable.

Room was excellent with angled oceanfront view and hot tub. Very clean.

Chairs on beach with umbrella are great. Staff will set them up for you. Very comfortable and can maneuver to get as much or little shade as you want. Beach seemed much narrower than in past. Not sure if I misremembered or it has actually changed.

Food was good to very good, as in past. I think it's probably as good as it gets at this AI price point. Italian is our favorite for dinner. House wine is not very good (although the tempranillo is clearly the best of the house reds).

Service is consistently excellent.

Downsides in our view include the small pool areas and the lack of energy/vibrancy, if you're looking for the latter. The resort is very relaxation-oriented.

Overall, we had another excellent stay and recommend it.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Without a doubt, occupancy has been very high this year and yet, some days I ask myself where my guests are. This resort is quite special in that way.

I am sure you are not wrong about the beach. Our specific stretch of beach is very mobile and only this part of Cancun has not required refilling of sand after major storms. It has a way of replentishing itself. So special in fact that the University of Yucatán has a special monitoring camera on the roof of our building to understand why this happens. In other words, the beach becomes larger and smaller but there is always a beach.

Thank you for reassuring us that our services keep their quality standards. This is of utmost importance.

With our best thoughts,
munchkinhead_9
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

This hotel exceeded my expectations and more! From the moment you arrive you are greeted by a fresh towel and flowers, the customer service does not stop there, everywhere you turn and look, staff are always there to make sure you have either a drink in hand or are well looked after. I have stayed in many four star hotels but this has to be the best!
We got upgraded to an ocean view room and the mini bar is stocked up everyday as well as rooms cleaned daily. There is 24 hour room service, well equipped gym, swimming pools and plenty of food to choose from.
The spa is a high standard, very clean and professional staff.
If you visit cancun you have to stay in a palace resort! This is hands down the best place I have ever visited and will definitely be back! You are well looked after and the people here are warm, friendly and the hardest working people on the resort. If you don't stay here you are missing out on an amazing experience!

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
I've got to hand it to you. Yours is one of the best descriptions I've yet to read.

Upbeat, continuous and extremely complete. Of course, very, very complimentary.

Seeing the number of contributions yuo've made to Trip Advisor I knwo I am dealing with a very well travelled person. Thusly your words carry a lot of weight.

Please receive our greatest thanks for your contribution. It is very unique.

With best thoughts,
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I just returned tonight from our 7-night trip to Sun Palace (nov 30-dec 7), and I could not even wait until tomorrow to rave about it.

As a younger couple, we prefer to travel with other couples as well, so we did so again this time. Upon arrival, we wanted to use some resort credits to upgrade to concierge, but were informed there was no regular concierge rooms. Martin came back with news that we could share the Presidential suite. SOLD. What a fantastic room. The upgrade is well worth it--upgraded liqour, turn down service, little chocolates every night, 24 hour room service, a pillow menu, high quality amenities (hair products, shampoos), a free 25 minutes couples massage, a romantic dinner on the beach, etc!

I will say this--if you are looking for a resort to party all night, go somewhere else (Moon Palace, perhaps ). This is a resort where people are active during the day and everyone is tucked away by midnight-12:30. We enjoy this in a resort, but I understand not all do!

The beach is impeccable, with wonderful cushioned/bed-like lounge chairs. My husband and I walked nearly the entire length of the hotel zone beaches, and this resort had the cleanest, least crowded and best chairs on the beach. Javier (I think he spells it that way) is amazing--literally running around all day dragging these massive heavy chairs around for you, digging holes for the umbrellas all day, everyday.
There was one beach server that we especially liked, and I wish I could remember his name. (They are all fantastic, but you will find you always connect with a few).

The food is all wonderful--zero complaints. They must have the worlds most amazing pastry chef on hand, though. The buns , desserts, pastries are to die for. Wear dresses,ladies. That way your growing waistline can be hidden! :) Probably the best buffet in a resort we've ever tasted. Ricardo was our favourite server, he will be missed!

The spa services are fantastic. The front desk and all the employees are so friendly and easy to chat with--I only wish I could have gone everyday!

The pools are nice and clean, cool/refreshing, and deep enough to actually swim!! The beach was a bit wavy the week we were there (my husband enjoys this, but I am a pool kind of girl).

The rooms are very clean, the housekeeping staff is very thorough and friendly. Everyone always is very quick to smile !

We met a few other couples we hit it off with--with the exception of some couples, most seem to be open to making friends. We are even planning a trip with one of the couples to go to Dominican ! Leave it to Sun Palace to help us make lifelong friends !

Your glass is NEVER empty here, you usually don't even have to carry your own plates to your table at the buffet ! The service speaks for itself --it's all the little touches.

I could go on and on, but I will stop. If you are unsure about this place, just go! You will not regret it !! (Also only like a 10 minute ride from the airport in cancun!!). Thank you Sun Palace for the memories, see you soon!!

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
A very profound comment which I thought dealt more with emotions. That is difficult to do.

Upgrades to Presidential suites are few and far in between. You are lucky. But in your case, luck was well served.

Although smaller in size, our resort offers all kinds of combinations when it comes to our guests. The common denominator being that they all come here to relax. Some are gregarious and some are not. Some will now and then go to a disco-take a bus and you are in the disco part of town in 15 minutes-.

What we ask is that everyone be mindful of others' privacy. It works out well most of the time.

End consideration: You enjoyed. That is all that counts.

Warmest regards,
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

i went with my wife on the 2nd half of our honeymoon to sun palace (2nd half of september). the hotel is great. it's pretty big and was very busy. weather was perfect for the infinity pools and beach. all-inclusive packages are just the best. we enjoyed our time very much in the hotel and in cancun in general. so many fun activities to do, and you can always come back to the hotel, there will always be something to eat or drink. great packages, and they had this offer of resort credit, where you can use it in activities, or the spa, or romantic dinner, etc., and you just pay the taxes for it. if it's still there, make use of it! staff is very friendly and helpful even though they're super busy. they made our stay very pleasant. super clean hotel with several infinity pools. jacuzzis inside the room!!! no more to be said :) spa is top class. definitely recommend it. 5 days were not enough at all for us. you need at least a week.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
I guess there aren't enough days when Honeymooning.

The primary reason for all inclusive resorts is precisely an assured quality of food and drinks and their availability.

Compared to traditional hotel, the price seems very steep. If you had to make your meals and drinks on traditional prices I assure you there would be a notable difference in favor of all inclusives. As long as the quality is there. Which in our case it is.

We are honored to have been able to host your special trip.

Recieve our best regards,
Richmond, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

It's difficult to describe the quality of this resort without sounding clichéd but there's really no other way of doing it. The resort (one of seven Palace resorts whose facilities are open to you as long as you are staying in one of them) is located on a beautiful section of the hotel zone, facing the ocean on one side and the lagoon on the other. Our room was actually an end unit that had windows and balconies that provided both the ocean AND the lagoon view. The resort itself was upscale looking throughout and had a nice strip of beach and infinity pools at the back.

More important than all of these, though, are the people who work there. You genuinely feel everyone who work there, from the bellboys to the chefs to managers, are there for the sole purpose of making you feel comfortable and special. Everyone who helped us or otherwise provided some service or another did so with a personal touch and flair. An extra bit of this or that just for you - not something easy to do when you're dealing with hundreds of guests every day! The promotional resort credits we received ($1,500 in our case) did exactly what they are supposed to: pay for everything from tours to spas to special gifts. I've seen others rip on the resort credits but I can't imagine what their problems could be. Yes, the credits do not cover the 11% tax for most services and products, but honestly, $10-20 tax for the average whole-day tour or hour-long spa session should not be an issue for most vacationers.

This particular resort is couple-only, which means mostly peace and quietness in the pools, the restaurants, the beach, and in your rooms. For newlyweds and parents looking to take a break from the kids, this is probably as close to paradise as it gets.

Room Tip: Choose ocean view rooms in the higher floors. Rooms in the lower floors on the lagoon side will prob...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the refresher: I forget one of the main perks of the Palace Resorts: Having multiple outlets quite close toghether.

From the Sun you can take a 10 minute bus ride to the Beach Palace, or on of the two daily shuttles to the Moon Palace. Playacar and Cozumel are a longer trip, involving cab rides or car rental and in the second instance, a very agreeable boat ride to Cozumel. Which is also the cas with isla Mujeres.

And the credits are indeed thought out to allow you to make your own decisions on what to do or not to.

So, if you are not content with staying put on beach or pools or having a siesta after a nice meal, I still think you have more to do than can be done.

What would i do without my patrons' reviews?

Best regards,

Been to Sun Palace? Share your experiences!