“Sunsatitional” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sun Palace

You added Sun Palace to your Saves list
Sun Palace
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd. Kukulcan Km 20 | Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Cinco de Mayo 40% Off
Ranked #5 of 179 Hotels in Cancun
Winchester, Virginia
“Sunsatitional”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

Great resort...adult only, quiet but not too....lovely rooms/balcony and view....beach was exceptional...food good to very good...entertainment just ok....staff attention great....spa was fine easy to get bearing/helps w a short stay....loved the following: appetizers/drinks and sunsets at the Thai, shrimp on the skewer (not ordered from the menu) but he samples they bring around and the same with the 2 types of chicken on the skewer...excellent! Italian was good...paella out side was good...some drinks great some just ok (ask for doubles if too watery)....I would certainly go back...a tad worn but a great sol (soul)!

Room Tip: Ocean front is amazing....suggest the view to the north.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Great title! You must be in the Marketing trade!

I am impressed. Not one period. So you made short order of an otherwise very complex description in one sentence. Definitely in the Marketing, Advertising trade!

I am happy we were what you expected and to have been able to host albeit few, hopefully stress-and worryfree days. All I need to know is contained in your words.

Next time I hope you will stay longer. This is a place to tone down for at least a week. Then go back to reality well rested.

We appreciate your choice and really look forward to yur next visit.

Warm regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,223)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Upstate NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

My wife and I stayed the week of October 19th and had a wonderful time. We left our kids with the grandparents and decided on a couples only vacation and we were not disappointed.

I'll start with the bad just because I want to get it out of the way. As someone else mentioned it can be noisy from some guests and the halls echo like crazy. It only was a few minutes on a few nights. The halls could use a little sound proofing. The water in our Jacuzzi ran rusty for a few minutes, I'm assuming form lack of use. We ran it until clear, rinsed the tub and all was well. My biggest concern was eating at the Italian restaurant. I'm am allergic to nuts and they tried to serve use a dish with pesto as an appetizer. Once we told them the manager of the restaurant came over and inquired and we explained. The next night he saw us the the lobby restaurant and alerted our waiter and he told us the staff had been alerted. The next night we went for dinner and nobody knew. The only reason I'm mentioning it is because it's an all or nothing deal with me. If you tell me the staff will know, then I expect them to know so I was expecting them to know. Frankly I know how to order my food so unless the cooks get creative it's not an issue.

So in my book these are small things.

The good: I can't say enough about most of the staff. They are kind and seem to go above and beyond compared to any other place we have been. I big shout out to Pedro who brought out or Mimosas & water after the 2nd day without asking. He would walk by and say 2 Mimosas with water?

The entertainment staff was awesome. Javier, Augustin and Vanessa were tops in my book. They are funny and engaging. From the first day they got my playing volleyball and I played all week and had a grand time. Tell them Mr Sneezy says hi if you go!

The food: I was very impressed! The buffet food was really good but the sit down meals with the menu were fantastic. I just can't say enough good about the food. It did not disappoint at all. I'm fairly certain that if you ask for something not on the menu that they would try to make it happen. That is the impression that I get and if you don't ask, the answer is always no.

Resort credits: They are easy to use and yes you pay a tax on them but that is cheap in the end and they tell you up front. We did the room upgrade, dinner on the beach, Chichen Itza and a few other things and spent most of the credits. The Chichen Itza tour was just ok. Our guide was not very loud and kept repeating the same things. The ruins are amazing though! I did get annoyed with the vendors...... We spent $142 in taxes and used most of our credits. That is cheap. They also have a Kiosk app you can download to your phone and they have 2 ipads in the lobby so you can check on credits and also see the things you can use credit for. Be warned that for credits, you can only go to Chichen Itza & Tulum on certain days.

The Beach: It's wonderful. You can walk a very long way and soak up the sun.

I wanted to meet Mr Winkler simply because I have read his comments here and enjoy reading them. My wife and I were just busy relaxing and spending time with each other so I didn't get to ask for him. Hind sight is that's a good thing as we were so happy having fun I just forgot to ask for him!

One day there was a group there from the Moon Palace and they said they wished the chose the Sun instead!

So, the question that everyone wants to know.....would I go back? YES! Will I? Probably not because we like to travel to different places and there are so many places we have on our list still.

I have added a picture that I took looking over one of the infinity pools and it's not edited at all, enjoy! I miss the Sun Palace already!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Definitely in accordance with the allergy issue comment. We do take this very seriously and I will underscore it with my people.

I was about to write it was a shame we didn't meet but your reasoning is paramount: If you were having a good time with your spouse you do not need my ugly mug in the middle.

Enjoying every minute as your title reads is a masterpiece in the art of living. Kudos to you!

If, per chance, next time you visit you still want to meet I am easy to find and eager to listen to what my patrons have to say. But if again, you are having too much fun I strongly suggest you keep on having it.

Warmest memories,
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

My husband and I visited the hotel for 2 weeks from 13 October 2013 for our honeymoon. We concur with all the previous review of this hotel so will try to avoid going over the things already mentioned and instead will focus on the small details that made our stay perfect.

Check in: we boarded the plane to Mexico about 3 hours after our wedding finished. With jet lag from the UK I am sure you can appreciate that we were tired! The hotel lobby smells delicious and no less than 5 staff greeted us, taking our luggage and welcoming us home. Erica checked us in. There was a problem with the photo copier and quite a queue which she apologised for....we were not perturbed...we were in heaven. Erica let me know that a favour I had asked of the management prior to our arrival had been granted....I was very impressed...what a great touch which set the tone for the holiday!! Thank you Mr. Winckler!

The room: all has been said here I think. We were on the concierge level. We didnt see the concierge who greeted us on arrival until our second week of the vacation and he remembered our name and room number!! A small touch. The cleaners were perfect both weeks and the view was amazing. The cleanest hotel we have stayed at!

The reteraunts: We found the food at the resort to be of a good to excellent standard. Individual resteraunts below:-

La Tratto: Italian resteraunt and best of the lot. Manager Omar is the best manager in all the resteraunts. He doesnt just oversee, he gets stuck in and supports his team to deliver great service. Mario served us at the concierge dinner on the beach and several times in the Italian reateraunt, he was absolutely brilliant! he remembered our names, our favourite wine and understood our laid back attitude. Marvin was also extremely attentive always coming to say hi. Gustavo is also a great waiter! Never had a bad meal there.

Oriental: we love spicy food so for us this good have been spicer but the food is a v high standard. You get loads of pre-appetizers so bare this in mind when ordering!!! Joel was a great guy...always made us laugh.

La Alamo: this is the breakfast buffet and Mexican A-la-carte in the evening. The buffet has every conceivable breakfast item and Marie was always a smiling face to fetch the English tea. The mexican in the evening....our first meal we recieved poor service but as i said we are pretty chilled so didnt hold this against the resteraunt and gave it another go...it was brilliant..get the burritas!!!

Steak: NEW YORK STRIP!! perfectly cooked and a great (very jovial waiter) whos name escapes me (sorry). Great location and i love the semi buffet concept!

Lobby Bar: this for me was the best touch. Luis is a legend! Knew our drinks, at roughly what time we changed them...braught us shots, introduced us to other guests. He was an absolute star!!! Loved the piano early in the evening and the cheese selection. we spent most evenings in here and I refuse to beleive that much more is needed than a good bar and a great bar man. Jose, Nolberto and Spaghetti all great guys too!

Beach/ Pool: we loved the party pool but under the spa hang as they had nice sun loungers and a little quieter. Fernando was fantastic!! not only is he a great waiter but a nice guy...one day we were getting the R2 to walmart and he rushed across the road to ask if we needed any help...he wasnt even in work!!! The chefs bring out treats during the afternoon which is a nice touch! The beach waiters and the chaps dragging the sunloungers back and fourth work really hard!!

The SPA; Oh my god!!!! we used all our credits...loved it!! Make sure you get a mani/pedi and a massage!

Overall we felt like VIP'S for 2 weeks. You actually feel like the staff care not just that they are going through the motions. Dont understand why some people are down on the credits.... my husband and I got a 50 minute couples massage for 27 dollars...thats practically free!!

We had one minor complaint on the stay...a noisy neighbour...hotel resolved it straight away ....dont care that we had a complaint...just happy that when I did the hotel resolved it very quickly for us!

book this hotel...you will not regret it...you will not get service like this anywhere else.

Pam Smith and Liam Comiskey

Room Tip: Floor 5 has good views
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
What a wonderful description you wrote! i wish everyone felt the same way about our resort.

Of course your Honeymoon certainly gives this trip a very special perspective.

I agree that the little details are the ones to give a vacation a special turn. And the fact we knew thorugh our previous communications what you expected always helps.

Thank you for all the time you took to tell us about your experience in a detailed and unique manner. It is our pleasure to have had your visit. We hope you'll care to repeat it very soon and send you all our staff's best wishes.

With warmest regards,
El Monte, California, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

Great resort with great customer service. First of all if you're expecting a big resort this is not it, It is a little cozy hotel where everything is within a minute of walking distance. We were a little disappointed in the pool and activities. The most standout thing here is the beaches and their services.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Totally correct. We are small and cozy.

Sun Palace is set tobe a quiet couples' experience. The majority of our guests come here with their better halves to enjoy time toghether. it is that simple. So while we do provide good services, food, drinks and many others, the reality is that we try to let you be. You choose what to do and of those choices many are included but you take them at your own pace.

If your preference is doing a lot of tours, sightseeing and such, we have it. If, to the contrary, you want to have mostly quiet moments, we also have them. Always with nice surroundings and friendly atmosphere.

Thank you so much for visiting us!
Eastman, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

We spent a wonderful week at the Sun Palace. Upon arriving we mentioned that my wife was allergic to lactose (milk, butter and cheese). And they asked us to meet with the restaurants Executive Chief Edgar Poot . At the meeting he asked us for information on allergies and warned all the restaurants so that everything goes well. And all went well. Over 8 days no problem, Chief Guilermo took cared of the meals especially for her all day and in the evening Chef Antonio, at the Italian restaurant was fantastic (special dishes and desserts) WOW. All personel of the hotel made us feel at home (without having to do anything) happiness! It is sure that we will return

Danielle & Michel, Montréal

Room Tip: if you have allergies make sure to advised them in advance
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Food allergies are very much in vogue these days. We must respond in kind.

I am sure some are more severe and dangerous than others but nevertheless, if you infom us when you arrive-or even before-you will be accounted for and taken care of.

The only drawback is that some of the items you take for granted back home might not be as available here so our offer might be a bit sparse. However, given time we are learning more about this and more products are being imported.

I am happy you were well taken care of. I do thank you for taking the time to attest to this.

We will see you back soon.

Best regards,
Reno, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

Very friendly staff, beautiful hotels, good food, and great price. 1500 hotel credit was worth it. Spa services were very enjoyable. Relaxing vacation. We will be back to visit the other Palace Hotels soon.

• Stayed October 2013
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

As they say, better late than never !! We stayed at the Sun Palace November 2012 and it was our first time ever at an all inclusive resort. Many of our friends and family have travelled and shared with us the benefits, pitfalls and disappointments of this type of vacation choice so I did a lot of research and appreciated the " trip advisor traveller's" opinions and advice. So, the great things about Sun Palace is all these services are included 1) Beach ocean view from the room....which has it's own 2 person hot tub !! 2) WINE room service delivers bottles of wine any time 24/7 3) Mini bar stocked with Rum, Rye, Vodka & Tequila, beer & pop for mix. 4) Room service delivers 24/7 a great choice of snacks & meals 5) Reservations are NOT required for the restaurants. 6) No limit on the number of times you can dine at the a la carte restaurants (many resorts have 3 dinner limit for 7 day stay. 7) Resort credits can be used for romantic dinners on the beach, manicures, massages or golf at the Moon Palace. 8) Food was GREAT ! Lunch buffet included fresh scallops, steak and fish cooked to order, Asian restaurant was our favorite !! ONLY THING MISSING was some night life, the lobby bar was the only place to go after dinner and Kariokee is not my idea of a good time !

Room Tip: Concierge level was great - the extras and beach view were wonderful
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Sun Palace? Share your experiences!