“What...a...place....” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sun Palace

Save Saved
You added Sun Palace to your Saves list
Sun Palace
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd. Kukulcan Km 20 | Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #5 of 172 hotels in Cancun
Derby, United Kingdom
“What...a...place....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

FIrst time in Mexico/Cancun and if I ever go back in the future I wouldnt stop in any other hotel than the Sun Palace.
From the moment you walk in the door you just get a general feeling of "this is going to be an amazing two weeks".
We arrived on a Friday afternoon and (due to the adverse weather conditions) we chose to just chill out for the first few days watching a few DVDs and having a few drinks at night in the lobby bar.
After that, our holiday really started to begin. The weather was gorgeous for the next 11ish days and we spent all our time round the pool.
I chose to join in with all the games because the Entertainment guys were brilliant in their job. Eddie/Mexican Chocolate/Vanessa/Javier were ALL superb in keeping the guests entertained and they dont pester you if you dont fancy joining in!!
Get yourself to Coco Bongo/Senor Frogs etc with the entertainment lot because they are a great laugh!!
The service in Sun Palace is by far the best I have ever received anywhere in the world. The staff are constantly greeting you with an "Ola" wherever you go and everyone has a constant smile on their face. I chose to tip a couple of dollars a few times a day to the staff I thought deserved it. Anyone who spends 8 hours a day bringing you drinks round the pool when you are nearly finished your other one surely deserves a little thank you by means of a little tip!!
We got $2500 resort credit and chose to spend them on a few trips out/a room upgrade and my fiance had numerous beauty treatments. I think our room bill came to approx £300 by the end of the two weeks and was well worth it for what we had!!
Concierge level rooms get a large balcony, DVD player, premium brand spirits, pillow menu etc etc and even little things make it fun (like a knock on the door every day approx 6pm when you are getting ready to go out just to drop a couple of chocolates off for you!!)
This place really is paradise and we were both gutted to leave by the end of the two weeks.
We met some amazing friends over the period (including the staff members) and never before have I stayed at a hotel where I felt like family to everyone!!
If I could give this hotel 6 stars on here then I would!!
Thank you to everyone at Sun Palace for giving me some amazing memories!!
Dan & Jayde

Room Tip: Ask to have a look at a Concierge level room before you choose to upgrade. Our first level 1 room wa...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
I think you write a great review. It is so fresh and happy.

I am elated that we seem to do well by the U.K. crowd. I guess our size resort is not too overbearing and more inclined to what you are generally used to in Europe.

Flying God-only-knows how many hours should at least afford you a complete change of scenery. And from your comments I see you met head-on with Mexican cordiality. That is something we do naturally and oh, so well. And Service being the disappearing art it is in front of efficiency you might as well profit from its existence while it lasts.

So: You must return.

And we will be waiting for you.

Cheers!

3,317 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (911)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Baton Rouge
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

This is a wonderful place to stay. The food is great, everything is clean. A double jacuzzi in the room. The service is above and beyond what one would expect. Since this is all-inclusive, there is no required tipping, but we usually tipped a couple of dollars at every meal. There is always someone to bring a drink down to the beach. We were able to participate in a baby turtle release.

It was a great trip. Our third visit.

Room Tip: Whether you are on the lagoon side (amazing sunsets) or the beach side, there are no bad rooms!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Oy...to tip or not to tip...

"Tipping is not a town in China" is a phrase I've seen too often. It has the curious effect of making me laugh and angry at the same time. Anyone who openly asks for a tip does not deserve it. Tipping is solely a decision of the tipper or so I think.

I like to tip when it is warranted. And the reasons are manyfold: Someone who has been very nice, or who has gone over and beyond. Who might be at the right place in the right moment. And I recognize: Sometimes, because you see they are people in need and one is in the fortunate position to dispense with monetary values which might not be significant to our eyes but can make an impact in the well-being of someone else. In other words, tip because it makes you happy to. Not because you think you have an obligation.

Jeeez...I went off the deep end!

Thank you for this moment of introspection. You have to come back and write more reviews...they do have an effect on me.

Best regards,
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

The reason I describe Cancun as American Friendly is b/c U.S. Dollars are accepted everywhere in the Hotel Zone. The one thing I guarantee you will hear at least 5 times a day at this place is "It's my pleasure" after you say thank you. The service here is beyond amazing. Every staff member is so attentive and nice. You will hardly ever hear "no" as an answer. It will take some time to forget their wonderful faces.

We stayed in room 602. We received a free upgrade because we required a non-smoking room. That was very nice of the staff to give us the upgrade at no extra charge. The resort credits are great. We applied it towards the spa, ziplining, Wet N Wild waterpark, and the photo session and we still had over $300 left to use.

I didn't enjoy the italian restaurant. The food tasted average and the service was super slow. All the other restaurants were superb. Here's a tip: visit the other palace resorts and have dinner there as well. At Beach Palace, you must eat at "The Wok"- the food was amazing and they have 3x the amount of selections than the menu at Sun Palace. Go to Moon Palace at eat the seafood buffet for dinner.

The only minor complaints I have about Sun Palace is some of the interior seems to be worn. For example, in room 602, more than 50% of the bathroom mirror was covered in a brown permanent stain. This does not look appealing at all and should have been replaced. The other small complaint is that we were not told that we would be given towels at the wet n wild waterpark just by being Palace Resort customer. I wish we new this ahead of time.

Other than that, I look forward to staying at Sun Palace again in the near future.

Room Tip: Ask for a non-smoking room
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
I agree with you. Not only Cancun, Mexico as a country is American friendly. Not only because of the currency. Many miles of border and hundreds of years of history stand to reason.

I do apologize for the issues you mention. They've been taken care of.

Thank you for enjoying Sun Palace. We really take great pride in catering to our customers from all over the world. You come to marvel at our country and at the same time give us the privilige of learning from your own cultures.

Warmest regards,
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We stayed Sept.21-28. From the moment we checked in until the moment we left, it was top shelf service!! We have stayed twice in the Riviera Maya and this was our 2nd time in Cancun, we loved every resort but this one was the best for us as a couple! My first time at the Sun Palace!

FOOD: AMAZING!!!!, the best part was NEVER having to RESERVE for dinner!!! The food was incredible, not one complaint! The service was also amazing!

SERVICE: EVERYONE was FANTASTIC, waiters, bartenders, maids, cooks, concierge, bell service, front desk, beach service, room service, everyone was incredible!!! 5*

ROOM: Upgrade to concierge room and be spoiled!!! We had a beautiful room with a huge hot tub right in the room, ocean view, scented pillows, aromatherapy, double sinks, king size comfortable bed, satellite t.v., free calling to Canada!, romantic dinner in our room (service was amazing)!

Free massage for two.....so nice!

Resort credits.......

The beach was amazing!!!!!!!!! The loungers were so comfortable and an umbrella was always available.

24 hour room service

I WILL BE BACK!! THANK YOU SUN PALACE STAFF!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: "Make sure you use some of your resort credits to upgrade your room to concierge"
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
If I may say so: Most our bedrooms are very good.
Sun Palace was built parallel to the beach, which means that most rooms have a splendid view of the ocean. Granted, not all. Some do have to shar the ocean with next door buildings but no matter what, you see the Caribbean.

Correct: We do not take reservations for restaurants. We've done so for quite some time and because of the high no show factor associated with an all inclusive-which only made patrons wait and displeased- first come first served. It works well.

Thank you for a radiant review. The only next best thing will be to host you again.

Best regards,
Hurst, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

This is the second time we've stayed at Sun Palace. Everyone is so welcoming and they provide great customer service. As with any hotel after check-in, they try to have to sign up for a "time-share" presentation. This seems to take forever but after this, there is no more high-pressured sales. The restaurants were GREAT with the exception of the Steak place. The steaks were not up to our standards. Very thin and not much flavor. Next time we'll order the fish. The bar area is very nice. Some of the evening activities are cheesy but overall great! My husband played golf twice at Moon Palace. The greens were not in great shape but they did give us the twilight rate. I went to the spa and it was heavenly. The Sun Palace was doing maintenance during our stay but I figure they have to make upgrades as some time and it is the off season. Honestly, I wouldn't have changed anything about our stay...except to stay longer!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
I've got to compliment you on your use of logic. Above and beyond your very nice words about your stay you mention that we are doing repairs and go on to say we have to make upgrades at some time.

There are various comments either saying the resort requires updating and then others complaining about repairs being made. We have a lot to do, as does any hotel running a higher than 80 % year-round occupancy but we will not forfeit security issues. If anything poses a minimal danger to our Guests' well-being we will do it immediately. No ifs or buts.

Thank you for understanding this. It is a refreshing point of view.

Warm regards,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is in a fantastic location for all excursions and night life with easy transportation including regular buses and taxis if needed. The staff are the most helpful and friendly I have ever come across in any hotel resort. The evening entertainment is enjoyable if you participate or not and there are loads of daytime activities to do or watch all organised by the most fun and enthusiastic staff!! Fabulous holiday in a beautiful location. The releasing of the baby turtles at night was a huge highlight of my trip.

• Stayed September 2013
To be quite honest, the fact you enjoyed your stay is mainly because of yourself.

Some of our guests have a knack for finding fault. Most have a true desire to make the most out of their stay. Aftter all, it is not commonplace to spend some days in Paradise.

I understand your comment about turtles' releasing. This is a very special happening which we can only enjoy and take care of in favor of our guests but mainly in favor of these sweet creatures which thanks to the concerted efforts of the city of Cancun are making a comeback.

That is Mother Nature's gift.

A privilige we're only too happy to share.

Best salutations,
Bournemouth, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

I have been very fortunate over the years to travel and stayed in many all inclusive resorts,but sun palace is something different ,from the second you arrive you are treated with 5 star luxury,in the bar all branded drinks ,Smirnoff ,jack Daniels ,etc, not cheap local brands .the quality of food is exceptional ,most fish and meats cooked in front of you while you wait,the staff can not do enough to make your stay amazing ,always enough sun beds to sit on,and if not the staff will go out of there way to remove towels that other people have left for a period of time ,you can pick where you want to sit on beach and staff will carry sun bed to where ever you would like to sit ,the staff will continually come round to your sun bed to bring drinks and food to you ,room service is. Free !! So having breakfast in bed is a real treat ! Wi fi is excellent even works on beach ! There is a bus service outside of hotels that runs every 5 mins 45 pence each !! And you can stay on as long as you like ,takes 10 minutes to get into party central!! One word of advice ignore the British weather reports of cancun always wrong! We have had glorious sunshine for 11 days straight with one afternoon where it was cloudy,but still very hot ,the weather forecast had it down for rain for two weeks ??? Not much more to say. We will,be back :-)

Room Tip: Use your resort credits to upgrade to,a superior room
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Very fetching words. Thank you!

The idea behind Palace Resorts is to give you all inclusive service with the quality you'd expect at restaurants and bars of a traditional hotel. We try to stay in the forefront of culinary and bar trends and then add a bit more for your satisfaction.

It is so nice when, as is your case, you let us know this has been acheived. And we will continue to renovate and upgrade our offer. In this way, the all inclusive satisfies you and is good business for us. I would deem this a win-win situation.

My staff enjoys their work because of patrons like you. Again, a positive symbiosis.

We will look out for your next visit.

Our best regards,

Been to Sun Palace? Share your experiences!