“Better honeymoon than we could have asked for!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sun Palace

You added Sun Palace to your Saves list
Sun Palace
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd. Kukulcan Km 20 | Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
$1500 Resort Credit
Ranked #4 of 178 Hotels in Cancun
“Better honeymoon than we could have asked for!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

The Sun Palace was the BEST choice for a honeymoon location for my now-husband and I. We tried to come up with ALL kinds of reasons NOT to leave. Both of us have travelled to numerous places before, and the service at Sun Palace was by far superior. We were always met with smiles, willingness to help, and kind-hearted people. The activity staff (Eddie, Vanessa, Javier, Agustin, and Francisco) were always a joy to have around the pool. Our waiter Jusif was the kindest person. Armondo the bar tender at the pool made the most fabulous vacation drinks. Daniel and all of his restaurant staff (especially Ricardo and Irvin) were wonderful! Araceli is a beautiful soul who works VERY hard at making everything in the lobby area look beautiful. We were beyond blessed to have the opportunity to stay at Sun Palace. We are already looking forward to our next trip back here :-)

• Stayed September 2013
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
I was about to answer that this is not possible. See if you agree:

Honeymoon is honeymoon. Sure, we have a place condusive to good celebrations but in the end, the kudos are all for you. It is through this very special occassion that you see the world through the eyes of love. You share this experience with the knowledge that it is a once in a lifetime opportunity. We can cater to your requirements but the aura of well being is created by yourselves and your circumstance. Sun Palace is simply fortunate to offer the surroundings that will make of this a trip to remember.

Thank you for mentioning some of our kids. They feel very honored to be a part of your memories. ...And will be more so when you come back.

Best wishes,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,297)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Danville, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

We truly enjoyed our stay at the Sun Palace in every way! The staff was friendly and attentive in all areas, esp. the Manager Martin Gabriel, who assisted us with a difficult problem with regard to credits. There was no need to make reservations, even at their nicest Italian restaurant. Our room on the 1st floor overlooking the pool was beautiful and recently updated. The side by side bowl sinks were a nice touch as was the large separated bath and shower rooms. Everything in the room worked flawlessly. There were no issues with finding a comfortable lounge chair on the beach due to squatters because there are staff members who will pull out comfortable lounge chairs and umbrellas and place them wherever you want them. The beach was gorgeous and had attentive lifeguards although the waves were not so great for bodysurfing. Had the Romantic dinner on the beach which was a special treat if celebrating a special occasion. Also something special was that it was the time of year where turtles hatch and they had a couple of nights where the hotel had buckets of recently hatched turtles which we were able take to the surf and release. Great fun but I think it is only a one week window so we were lucky! If we are not traveling with children we will stay here again and again! We also,stayed at the Moon Palace prior to our stay here and there is no comparison......the Moon was just too large and disorganized and the grounds were not as nice.

Room Tip: Rooms on the South side on the First or Second floor will give you a nice view of the pool area acti...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
What can I respond? You simply blew me off. Definitely the kind of patrons dreams are made of. People who come to have a great time and do.

You are so nice to us! Please do not forget us and keep coming back. Your words, your attitude and your demeanor are special traits that endear you to anyone who has the good fortune to get to know you, and better yet, to share very special moments with.

From August to Novemeber is turtles' hatching time...so far we have ca. 190 nests. By the end of the season we will have released something like 22,000 baby critters. Now you know when to return.

Thank you so much!!

Warmest regards,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

This is the nicest most friendly hotel I've stayed in Cancun very happy with the service food lovely top notch everything was just perfect I'm having the time of my life here at this resort happy days:-)

• Stayed September 2013
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Thank you so very much. Short, to the point and very explicit. This is what we wish every guest could expreience.

You've certainly made my day.

Ramsey, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

I was going to write a detailed in-depth review of the Sun Palace, but decided to compare apples to apples and keep it short, sweet and to the point.

My overall review was rated as "average". I did this after comparing my 3 stays at another comparable Palace resort, LeBlanc. (I've also stayed at Adventura Spa Palace).
Both Sun Palace & LeBlanc are advertised as adults/ couples only, under 300 rooms and rated #1 & #6 on TripAdvisor.

The bottomline is this, Sun Palace is a resort that is aging in every area, from the pools to the lobby to the room terraces. Saddest of all was the lack of a "can-do" attitude from it's employees, something Palace resorts has been known for...it's simply not present as I've seen at other Palace resorts.
While Sun Palace is significantly cheaper, I've grown fond of the 5 star, personal treatment and facilities LeBlanc provides.

PS...the ice machine on the 7th floor was out of service since 6-26-13...our stay took place during the 1st week of September.

• Stayed September 2013
I am less than thrilled about a 3 point review. It tells me we've failed miserably.

Whether cheaper or more expensive than others our committment is to offer our guests a stay to fondly remember.

The fact that we are 6th in Trip Advisor popularity is thanks to satisfied clients. Maybe some time in the future you might want to give us another opportunity to convert you.

If that were the case, please let me know to best serve you,

nottinghamshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

We arrived at the hotel and were greeted with a glass of champagne, a flower and a cool face cloth. Check in was quick and we upgraded to concierge level with our resort credits. Our room was fantastic, double sink, massive shower and hot tub. The bed and pillows were comfy. The optics in the mini bar were fantastic and the fridge and snacks were replenished daily. Each night petit fours were delivered which were a lovely treat to start the evening off. The extras like slippers, gowns, straighteners & beach bag were a great treat.

The food was delicious - the Alamo buffet had the biggest choice for every meal, breakfast they cooked omelettes, burritos, eggs at request, for lunch and dinner they also cooked steaks, chicken and pork. Both the Italian and the Thai were equally as good.

The bars were all great and had every brand imaginable, even Grey Goose vodka!

The best thing about this hotel was the service, you were treated like a VIP from the moment you arrived to the minute you left and I think this is all down to the manager Pablo. He runs a very organised hotel, we have been to many places but nothing is as organised as Sun Palace, everyone knows what they are doing and the manager is visible many times during the day. Pablo even sent us a letter and chocolates to apologise for the rain we were having!

We had the most amazing time and can't wait to go back.

A special thanks to Guillermo on reception who helped us book tours, spa and transfers with ease, Fernando and Jose on the beach who waited on us all day long, Pedro on the pool and lobby bar and Rodolfo in the Alamo. And a massive congratulations to Pablo who should be proud of the first class resort he runs.

Room Tip: Upgrade to concierge the little extras make your holiday even more special
Awww! You made me blush.

Actually the magic of this resort is superb guests and dedicated staff. I just appear from time to time because there are so many beautiful people to see and talk to.

Thank you for noticing the rain chocolates. I always worry when we have long rain stints. My guests come in from all over to bask in the Cancun sun and ocean and then it rains. Most, like yourselves, take it in elegant stride but believe it or not, a few actually rate the resort on the climate.

The point being you had a good time which I hope will be repeated soon.

You are very dear!

Northampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

I read a lot of reviews before deciding to leave a review for this stay. I travel extensively in my work and am lucky enough to stay in 5 star hotels globally. I can see a lot of good practices at SP and a lot of hard work going on behind the scenes. It is a beach side hotel which makes it really difficult to keep clean with people moving for beach to pool, bars, resteraunts etc but the staff here are excellent. The food in all resteraunts was a very high standard and well presented. The staff are all engaged and very attentive, especially if they know you are a tipper. Rooms were large comfortable and very clean. The beach front in Cancun is stunning, clear water and white sand, very good service (fernando).

My wife and i thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would recommend SP to anyone visiting Cancun.

Feedback. Wristband grading- im sure there is a good reason for this but i havent stayed at any other hotel where people received obviously more attentive service because they had a different coloured wrist band. To be honest there wasnt much difference between the room upgrades so im not sure it warrents such a class system in a small hotel.

As a 5 star hotel i felt i lacked a quality bar area to sit and relax at night in perhaps an outside area, we didnt use the lobby bar and i know a lot of couples went to bed early because there was no alternative , that was a dissapointment.

This brings me onto the entertainment, i get the round the pool and beach through the day with the whoop whoop crowds however at night it was very down class and poor, quiz nights, drinking games and Karaoke night after night, too much 18/30 style.

Having read a lot of the negative reviews i think a lot of people expect this hotel to be a full 5 star establishment the problem is it doesnt attract a high 5 star clientel hence the dissapointments and bad reviews at times but its a difficult balance to get right and i think Mr Winkler caters for the mass, which is reflected in SP being number 6 in trip advisor! I get the feeling true 5 star guests will be hard to please at Sun Palace.

Reception staff could do on working on their customer service skills this was the only weakness i could see in the staff area.

Visited Moon Palace for the day swam with dolphins all in our credits, photographs were expensive £75 but who couldnt leave without a reminder of a special day.

Very good hotel, excellent staff, high standard of food and pleasant atmoshpere, thank you Sun Palace.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
I find your review fair in general terms. From what I can see you had a nice stay.

Allow me to address two comments: Wristbands. I my opinion a guest is a guest always. In that sense, different color bands don't make a difference. We will treat you with the same courtesy and warmth no matter what the color of your wristband is. However: They are a clear code to us as far as who is a Diamond member, who a VIP because of the added benefits. We also want to know who our English guests are, our honeymooners and so on. This helps in the individual approach.

The second comment is: All our guests are five stars. They are all important and they all paid a substantial amount of money to stay with us. I get the feeling that by "five stars" you allude to a socio-economical elite. That is not who we want to be: A trendy resort. We are friendly, warm and harworking folks out to give you the best we have, no matter the zeroes in your banking account.

I sincerely hope you agree with me.

Exeter
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

My wife and I have just returned from the "sun palace " resort,where do you start !
We were lucky enough to be upgraded to a junior suite,after e-mailing them to say it was our 43rd wedding anniversary holiday trip.A very special thank you go's to hotel manager.
You can upgrade with the hotels in house credits,you get $2500 worth for 2 weeks stay and $1500 for 1 week,we used some on a massage,brilliant,1hr 20 mins went very quickly,well worth it,you feel very relaxed after,and smell nice too.

ROOMS.

Junior suites,have a jacuzzi in the room.
King size beds very roomy,even for large & small people.
Always kept very clean/tidy,maids do a wonderfully good job,very friendly.

MEALS.

We found the food to be very good,lots of variety.
You have a choice of Italian,Mexican,Thai,& The steak restaurants,(we tried them all).
There is no need to book on any of them,just turn up.In high season you might have to wait,but I wouldn't think you would have a long wait.

SERVICE.

We could not fault any of the waiters, either on the beach,around the pool area,or serving breakfast,lunch or dinner,they were excellent,very friendly,chatty,funny and generally very nice people,the manager should be very pleased he has the best people,doing an excellent job.

A special mention to Jesus,breakfast waiter,Edel the entertainment guy around the pool,Recardo dinner waiter,and to Orlando THE coffee specialist,just ask for a Mayan coffee!
We mentioned these few people,but ALL the staff deserve a mention,but I would be typing for some time if I did.
All in all we had a great time here,just relaxing,oh & I played volleyball in the pool,great fun,and me being 66,never played before it was excellent.
If you get the time pay a visit to the "Beach Palace " hotel sister hotel to the " Sun Palace ",go to the top,the view is well worth the trip,you can also have a drink/meal if you want.
Take a trip into Cancun,visit Walmart.Playa las Americas,Las Ilas shopping mall,very expensive shop in there.
We hope this review will help in some way,we stayed 2 weeks from the 10th-24th Sept.We would have loved to stay longer if we could.
You could be asked if you want a visit to the moon palace,but be careful,it's another time share offer,if you want to visit the moon palace there is a bus that leaves 1115/1300 be there 20 mins before,its a first come first served basis.

Regards Phil & Sue Jackson

Room Tip: Ask to upgrade as soon as you can,use your credits to do so.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
It is always a pleasure to cater to guests like yourselves.

It is uncanny when you get the feeling that certain patrons will undoubtedly enjoy your offer. What better way than to be chosen for a wedding anniversary!

We do not take reservations for restaurants since many years ago. We found out that in an all inclusive environement people are more prone to not show since there are various options. By then, however, you've had to make other guests wait. Just didn't make sense. I'd dare say that worst case scenario on a very heavy day a 30 minutes max wait-time, sitting at the bar, will be the waiting time.

Thank you for visiting us and for liking your sojourn. This is our best reward...other than seeing you again soon in a very near future.

Best sentiments,