“Its all about the service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sun Palace

Save Saved
You added Sun Palace to your Saves list
Sun Palace
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd. Kukulcan Km 20 | Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
$1500 Resort Credit
Ranked #4 of 172 hotels in Cancun
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Its all about the service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

I read a lot of reviews before deciding to leave a review for this stay. I travel extensively in my work and am lucky enough to stay in 5 star hotels globally. I can see a lot of good practices at SP and a lot of hard work going on behind the scenes. It is a beach side hotel which makes it really difficult to keep clean with people moving for beach to pool, bars, resteraunts etc but the staff here are excellent. The food in all resteraunts was a very high standard and well presented. The staff are all engaged and very attentive, especially if they know you are a tipper. Rooms were large comfortable and very clean. The beach front in Cancun is stunning, clear water and white sand, very good service (fernando).

My wife and i thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would recommend SP to anyone visiting Cancun.

Feedback. Wristband grading- im sure there is a good reason for this but i havent stayed at any other hotel where people received obviously more attentive service because they had a different coloured wrist band. To be honest there wasnt much difference between the room upgrades so im not sure it warrents such a class system in a small hotel.

As a 5 star hotel i felt i lacked a quality bar area to sit and relax at night in perhaps an outside area, we didnt use the lobby bar and i know a lot of couples went to bed early because there was no alternative , that was a dissapointment.

This brings me onto the entertainment, i get the round the pool and beach through the day with the whoop whoop crowds however at night it was very down class and poor, quiz nights, drinking games and Karaoke night after night, too much 18/30 style.

Having read a lot of the negative reviews i think a lot of people expect this hotel to be a full 5 star establishment the problem is it doesnt attract a high 5 star clientel hence the dissapointments and bad reviews at times but its a difficult balance to get right and i think Mr Winkler caters for the mass, which is reflected in SP being number 6 in trip advisor! I get the feeling true 5 star guests will be hard to please at Sun Palace.

Reception staff could do on working on their customer service skills this was the only weakness i could see in the staff area.

Visited Moon Palace for the day swam with dolphins all in our credits, photographs were expensive £75 but who couldnt leave without a reminder of a special day.

Very good hotel, excellent staff, high standard of food and pleasant atmoshpere, thank you Sun Palace.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
I find your review fair in general terms. From what I can see you had a nice stay.

Allow me to address two comments: Wristbands. I my opinion a guest is a guest always. In that sense, different color bands don't make a difference. We will treat you with the same courtesy and warmth no matter what the color of your wristband is. However: They are a clear code to us as far as who is a Diamond member, who a VIP because of the added benefits. We also want to know who our English guests are, our honeymooners and so on. This helps in the individual approach.

The second comment is: All our guests are five stars. They are all important and they all paid a substantial amount of money to stay with us. I get the feeling that by "five stars" you allude to a socio-economical elite. That is not who we want to be: A trendy resort. We are friendly, warm and harworking folks out to give you the best we have, no matter the zeroes in your banking account.

I sincerely hope you agree with me.

Best regards,

3,321 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (913)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Exeter
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

My wife and I have just returned from the "sun palace " resort,where do you start !
We were lucky enough to be upgraded to a junior suite,after e-mailing them to say it was our 43rd wedding anniversary holiday trip.A very special thank you go's to hotel manager.
You can upgrade with the hotels in house credits,you get $2500 worth for 2 weeks stay and $1500 for 1 week,we used some on a massage,brilliant,1hr 20 mins went very quickly,well worth it,you feel very relaxed after,and smell nice too.

ROOMS.

Junior suites,have a jacuzzi in the room.
King size beds very roomy,even for large & small people.
Always kept very clean/tidy,maids do a wonderfully good job,very friendly.

MEALS.

We found the food to be very good,lots of variety.
You have a choice of Italian,Mexican,Thai,& The steak restaurants,(we tried them all).
There is no need to book on any of them,just turn up.In high season you might have to wait,but I wouldn't think you would have a long wait.

SERVICE.

We could not fault any of the waiters, either on the beach,around the pool area,or serving breakfast,lunch or dinner,they were excellent,very friendly,chatty,funny and generally very nice people,the manager should be very pleased he has the best people,doing an excellent job.

A special mention to Jesus,breakfast waiter,Edel the entertainment guy around the pool,Recardo dinner waiter,and to Orlando THE coffee specialist,just ask for a Mayan coffee!
We mentioned these few people,but ALL the staff deserve a mention,but I would be typing for some time if I did.
All in all we had a great time here,just relaxing,oh & I played volleyball in the pool,great fun,and me being 66,never played before it was excellent.
If you get the time pay a visit to the "Beach Palace " hotel sister hotel to the " Sun Palace ",go to the top,the view is well worth the trip,you can also have a drink/meal if you want.
Take a trip into Cancun,visit Walmart.Playa las Americas,Las Ilas shopping mall,very expensive shop in there.
We hope this review will help in some way,we stayed 2 weeks from the 10th-24th Sept.We would have loved to stay longer if we could.
You could be asked if you want a visit to the moon palace,but be careful,it's another time share offer,if you want to visit the moon palace there is a bus that leaves 1115/1300 be there 20 mins before,its a first come first served basis.

Regards Phil & Sue Jackson

Room Tip: Ask to upgrade as soon as you can,use your credits to do so.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
It is always a pleasure to cater to guests like yourselves.

It is uncanny when you get the feeling that certain patrons will undoubtedly enjoy your offer. What better way than to be chosen for a wedding anniversary!

We do not take reservations for restaurants since many years ago. We found out that in an all inclusive environement people are more prone to not show since there are various options. By then, however, you've had to make other guests wait. Just didn't make sense. I'd dare say that worst case scenario on a very heavy day a 30 minutes max wait-time, sitting at the bar, will be the waiting time.

Thank you for visiting us and for liking your sojourn. This is our best reward...other than seeing you again soon in a very near future.

Best sentiments,
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

I had been reading the reviews of Sun Palace for about a year before we visited and my original plan was to write a very detailed review of my stay here however there is not much more I can say that hasn't already been said. Great staff, decent food (except La Trotta and the concierge dinner, those were the best meals of the resort!) and best beach ever.

We booked the concierge room which I enjoyed the extra benefits. Private check-in, which there were 2 people ahead of us so darn, we had to have a few glasses of champagne while we waited. One thing I'll point out is that it seems they are very inconsistent with the check-in experience. After seeing many reviews saying they were pressured into going to Moon Palace for a timeshare presentation I was already expecting it. Was never mentioned to us. Also I already knew we would have $750 resort credit but again, nothing told to me about it. I basically was told the extra amenities to concierge rooms (loved the aromatherapy and pillow menu) and sent on my way. Quick and painless but I would have enjoyed a clear rundown of the resort credits and how much was allowed for different services.

Sun Palace was very gay friendly. Of course we got some looks from people but it felt more like people were looking because they just aren't used to seeing a same sex couple. We never felt out of place and the staff was amazing. We had excellent service on the beach.

Were we lucky to have the huge balcony with double lounger, 2 chairs and a table. I almost felt bad for the people who had smaller balconies. They paid the same amount as me, just seems like luck of the draw.

I am already concidering coming back for my honeymoon in 2015! We were very sad to have to leave.

Thank you Sun Palace!

Room Tip: 6th floor balconies are the biggest. Don't be afraid to ask for what you want!!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
First time I read inconsistency as a plus.
As it were, we try to make check in as painless as possible. Travelling being a real pain these days we appreciate you are tired and want to get to your room.

Being an all inclusive does pose an initial hurdle as we must at least touch base on the basics of the services at your disposition: The food, drinks, shows and added features have to be sketched. But once dispensed with, you have a full vacation program.

And yes, the big balcony rooms are very coveted but only a fraction of the total so as you point out: Luck intervenes.

We are very happy about having done a good job and will look forward to your return.

Best regards,
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

I have been to Sun Palace twice and I am looking forward to my third visit. I have been to almost all of the Palace Resorts and this resort is my favorite. The food is outstanding. The Italian restaurant at this resort is by far the best restaurant in the chain. All of the employees are top notch but a few exceed expectations. The hostess Miriam in the buffet restaurant was so friendly. By the second day she knew our names and knew where we preferred to sit. On our last day she made a special desert for us and spelled out on it " come back soon ".

Estrella, ( server at the pool ) is by far the best server in the chain. She is fast, friendly, and is always there when you need something. From giving me Spanish speaking lessons, drink suggestions, and snacks, Estrella is always there. She has become a friend . She is one of the reasons I keep coming back to Sun Palace.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
And many more, we hope. When you are the type of person who likes the familiar feeling of returning to a vacation spot you can count on-as you say-the staff become your friends.

By returning you are signaling that we did a good job. When the people working in a place are as proud of their jobs as ours are there is nothing better than seeing your customers again.

It is a great pleasure to host you and keep adding friends to your favorites list.

Thank you for your patronage!

Warmest regards,
Alberta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Don't be scratching your head at all the positive reviews on this place. They are all true. Just spent seven days there and all I can say is "wow". I travel a ton for work and spend a lot of time with the service industry. This hotel had it all and more.

Food - Evening restaurants are great, really enjoyed the Italian and Asian. Steak was actually our least favorite, but we're biased being from Alberta. Buffet was always well stocked and had lots of options. Room service and breakfast in the room was always prompt and correct. Highly recommend the chef's dinner with your resort credits. Its like going to watch Rachel Ray or Emeril on TV.

Rooms - Beautiful and spacious, highly recommend trying to get an ocean view. Loved the booze cabinet in the room.

Service - Top notch, from the bus boys and house keepers to the restaurant managers everyone is friendly, welcoming and more than happy to meet your every request.

Resort credits - You have to sit through a small non-pressure spiel about becoming a "Palace Member", listen, politely decline and enjoy your excursions/ room upgrades. This took us all of about 15 minutes the day we arrived. We didn't upgrade our room but instead did the Chef's dinner, Chichen Itza, Ziplining, three upgraded bottles of wine at dinners and an 80 minute couples massage and still had credits left! (You only have to pay the 11% tax, this is a ridiculous deal. Take full advantage!)

For a fun, relaxing, beautiful resort in Cancun I'd highly recommend Sun Palace. From the beach to the pools to everything else its a wonderful place. We'll more than likely be back!

Room Tip: Try and get an ocean view or partial ocean view room, its stunning.
Chicago IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

We (6 adults) recently spent 10 days at the Sun Palace. Despite some disappointing weather in the beginning of the trip, we had a wonderful time. We asked for one room near an elevator and we were quickly assigned one. We all had rooms with great sea views. Rooms were clean and we never had any issues with anything. (Be sure to tip your maid.)

If you stay at a Palace, you can visit the others. We took day trips to Isla de Mujeres Palace and Playacar Palace. It was nice to get away for a day and visit other resorts.

The thing that sets this hotel apart is its staff. They made our trip fun and pleasurable. The entertainment crew--Javier, Edel, Vanessa, and Francisco (Tony Montana) led a variety of pool-side activities and entertained us throughout the day. The staff in El Alamo--Daniel Uribe, Enedino Olarte, and Alehandra Ojeda--made sure all our requests were granted. They even surprised us several nights with unexpected table service and food! The pool-side servers were always available to us. Thank you Consuelo and Jose! AND, of course, we must thank Beto--one of the bartenders at the pool bar and, later in the week, at the Oriental restaurant.

Finally, where but at a Palace resort would this happen? After several days of so-so weather, we received a note in our room from the general manager, Pablo Winckler, apologizing for the weather and make sure our requests and needs were being met by the staff.

We've been visiting Palace resorts for several years and have never been disappointed. We are only sorry that we have to wait until February and April 2014 to return to one of them!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here to celebrate an anniversary and had a wonderful time. The staff was helpful and very nice. Food was good. This is not a party hotel which we really enjoyed it was nice and relaxing. Rooms where clean and nice and big. I was happy not to be stopped by timeshare people every two minutes like when you stay at other resorts. Beach was great good staffing. We were able to set baby sea trutles free which was really pretty cool. This is a great hotel to relax and forget the worries of life!

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sun Palace? Share your experiences!