“2nd time here was again great” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sun Palace

You added Sun Palace to your Saves list
Sun Palace
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd. Kukulcan Km 20 | Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Cinco de Mayo 40% Off
Ranked #5 of 179 Hotels in Cancun
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“2nd time here was again great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

This was our 2nd time at this resort for my wife and me. We stayed the other half of our week at Le Blanc (had not originally planned to stay there but switched part of our time to it after another hotel we had reserved had many reports of illness), so read my review there if you want.

We again thought Sun Palace again was great. We were again lucky enough to upgrade to concierge with resort credits, even though occupancy was over 90% per several different staff members. I'm pleased to say that this made little difference from our previous stay when occupancy was much lower; the place did not feel horrendously crowded. We do eat late (around 9:00) to avoid crowds, and I recommend this.

Room is outstanding. Big, super clean, comfortable, great hot tub, great balcony, great ocean views, etc. Hard to imagine what to complain about there.

Pool areas are the weakest link at this resort. There are 3 pools, but one is moderate in size and 2 are very small. Get up early (by 8:00) to win the towel game if you want a good seat (this wasn't true last year when resort had low occupancy but was this year). But you can get a good beach seat whenever I think. They'll set up cushioned chairs and an umbrella at any time. I don't think I ever saw them run out chairs or umbrellas.

Food is quite good. Breakfast and lunch buffets are excellent. Italian is excellent for evening. Alamo was very good. Asian was fine. Good casual fare next to the main pool.

Overall, we find that this resort offers an impressive level of luxury for the price. We will return.

pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Now there is one secret that was let out of the bag! Indeed, if you opt for late meals-especially when the resort is rather full-you are assured of less crowded restaurants.

We've had instances where we do have a larger occupancy of latins. We (for I am one) choose to have our meals later in the day. Breakfast, say, 10 in the morning. Lunch at 2 or 3 in the afternoon and dinner, at the very earliest, 9 at night. When we are fortunate to have this mix of clients things do run more smoothly simply because our services are more evenly spread.

Pools are on the smaller side if you want to do your swimming laps. But who wants to do swiming laps when you have a beautiful view to the beach and ocean? Sun Palace water facilities are more to refresh, have a drink, chat, think, love. It is so nice to see couples embracing...or people who have just met having a good time in small groups.

I just love my hotel!

And I love people that love my hotel!

Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,222)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Iowa City, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

This was truly the best vacation I have ever had. I went with my boyfriend and he and I were both amazed at how truly beautiful the property is. The pictures don't even do it justice. The majority of our time was spent on the beach and we never had trouble getting beach chairs and umbrellas. I loved the food, especially at the Thai and steak restaurant. We stayed in a concierge level room, which I really enjoyed. I, unfortunately, cannot compare it to any other level, but the extra perks you get for staying at that level were extremely nice. The massages that we received were incredibly relaxing. I have never had a massage that was as enjoyable as the one I received at Sun Palace. I cannot really speak to the night life, because the only show we made it to was the fire show, which was good. I think if you want more than that it is easy to just pay one dollar and take the bus to the popular bars. I would like to also add that Geovanni and Nancy were extremely helpful to us, when the tour group we had booked with failed to pick us up, they assisted in getting us on another tour of Chichen Itza and we were able to use our resort credits for it. I cannot say enough good things about this resort. Thank you so much to the entire staff who made our trip so wonderful!

pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Actually, the concierge rooms are pretty much the same to any other except for the personalized ervice that the concierges in the 3rd and 5th. floor avail and the additional equipment in your room as well as extended menu, arompatherapy and such.

Sun Palace is designed to offer you the best views possible and concierge floors are selected for their location within our building. However, no matter what, you do get a view. Be it on the lower floors with their expanded size and ease of access or the upper floors with their small but crystal surrounded balconies which afford an unimpeded view of the ocean.

We've made it our policy to keep night life low key. As you point out one dollar takes you to the discos. Becasue of our size and concrete construction, trying to play dance and disco music until late hours only results in complaints about the noise. So we've learned that lesson well and have placed guests' relaxation before anything else.

Thank you for your very generous words on Sun Palace. I hope we have convinced you to repeat your visits as much as possible.

Warmest regards,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

My girlfriend (now fiance) just returned from our stay at the Sun Palace. It was nothing short of amazing. We had an awesome time and I can't tell you how perfect it was. I would highly recommend this resort for all couples. It's located very close to the airport and is only a short ride which was nice. The view from the resort/pool/beach was absolutely breathtaking. I would recommend using your resort credits to upgrade to Concierge level if possible.

The staff was the most standout part of our trip. They would bend over backwards whenever possible for you. There were a few times we requested items that were not standard and they somehow always delivered. (Shout outs to Artruo @ The Steak, Jose @ Lobby Bar, Joel @ The Alamo).

The restaurants were also great. We ate the at the Alamo the most as we really enjoyed the Filet Mignon and the Banana Flambe. The room services was also great and with Concierge level, you are able to order items from the restaurants that are not on the standard menu.

The beach service is also incredible. As soon as you get to the beach, the lifeguard (Daniel) would come up and set you up with seats and an umbrella if you wanted one. The waiters/waitresses on the beach did a great job. They were quick and would always check in on you to see if there was anything else you needed.

The room was great. We loved having the hot tub in the middle of the room and really enjoyed the view from the balcony. The only think we didn't like about the room was the bathroom set up. The toilet was in 1 small room in the corner and did not provide a lot of privacy, but this wasn't a huge deal.

I would highly recommend this resort for couples of all ages. We are in our late 20s and we really enjoyed staying here.

Grand Prairie, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

Me and my wife stay 8 days, beatiful place, clean, greath view to the ocean, friendly people, great and plenty food, small resort maybe but you have everything, I live in Texas, so a pool I can find anywhere, blue water white sand just in Cancun, by the way thanks to Carlitos, Emilio, Jose, Juanito, Joaquin, Karina, Consuelo, Daniel, Guillermo, great people working hard every day doing an excellent work, Cancun I'll see you next year

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Thank you for all those you menton in your kind review! Thay will love seeing their names mentioned by such a wonderful guest.

These past few days have been exceptional, I agree. The weather has been pristine and the ocean really this aqua blue that makes the caribbean so famous and sought after. Indeed a Paradise!

How pleasing to read that on top of enjoying the scenery and our tropical climate our food and services were commensurate. Even more so when you factor in the promise of returning.

We will be waiting for you. There is nothing that we want more than to give you a bit of Paradise in every trip.

Nazareth, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

We have been to Cancun many times but this was special. It was for my 60th birthday. We decided to stay at the Sun Palace after reading the reviews. There were six of us and we had the best time ever! May 18 thru May 25, 2013. We asked to be together and we were given rooms on the Concierge level 526,527,528. View was beautiful, food was excellent but service was outstanding. I can't say enough about Ivan and Consuela, on the beach and at the pool. They were always there serving us anything we wanted. Ivan brought me champagne and cake to the beach for my birthday! Unbelievable.. I have never seen people work that hard ever. Eddie and Franco are everywhere entertaining you, at the pool during the day and at whatever event that is going on at night. Daniel had our chairs set up everyday at the beach. If there is a flaw with this place we never saw it. I would recommend this place to anyone who wants to be assured of good food and the best service ever. We have been to the more "tropical" resorts where the food was horrible and the service was worse then the food! We prefer good food and excellent service and were not disappointed at the Sun Palace!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
I can see this group really had a good time. And it was noticeable. You are always in the best of moods. That makes our job much easier and very pleasant.

Our staff in general is very hard working. I am sometimes amazaed that after four months of very high occupancies they keep at it with the same enthusiasm as on the first day.

But you see, when we have the type of clients as yourselves and the vast majority of our visitors, it is easier to go the extra mile, up and down the stairs and keep an eye out for any nuance that our guests would like or request. This is the magic of Sun Palace. I do not do it, it is our clients who are kind and appreciative.

I am always thankful of your mentioning those of the staff who stand out because when you do they get extra points in our employees' incentive program. It is your presence that imbues a sense of friendliness in my kids. I cannot thank you enough for this.

With my best regards,
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

I am a seasoned traveller, especially in Mexico. I definitely enjoyed the Sun Palace, but there are certain facts about the place I wish I had known. First of all it is a small resort, one of the smallest in Cancun, Mexico. Because it's an all inclusive I like to stroll around the hotel and grounds to walk off the over plentiful dinner. There is nowhere to walk unless you walk directly on the beach, which is not convenient if you are wearing a nice outfit, heels, or don't like to be blown away. It also is not very tropical. There were no palm trees, flowers or any type of vegetation around the hotel. The pool was small and the "other pool" was more of a wading pool about 10 feet wide. There is no nightlife to speak of unless all you like to do is sit in a small bar and sing Karaoke. The shows they do have are no more than an hour and there is absolutely nothing to do after that. The Michael Jackson and Fire show were very good however. Now for the good stuff. The service was impeccable. The staff bent themselves backwards to cater to your every whim. The food was very good and plentiful. The hotel and rooms were extremely clean. If you are looking for a small resort that is quiet without a extensive nightlife, this is for you. Enjoy!!

Room Tip: Ask for frontal ocean view, and don't go anywhere near room 800.
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
I do thank you very much for your words.

You will agree-as a seasoned traveller- that it does pay to investigate the resort you are going to choose. What you mention is true: We are small and quiet. I think most of our reviews and advertising make it a point to mention that we are an intimate destination.

As to our "tropicality": What could be more tropical than a beautiful beach and caribbean ocean ? Sun Palace is situated in a long but narrow stretch of waterfront. It was built to favor ocean views and due to the plot size, I agree, we do not have that much vegetation.

I do thank you for your interest in pointing out these issues.

Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

My husband and I and two other couples decided to stay at the Sun Palace to celebrate our friend's 60th birthday may 18 thru May 24, 2013. We stayed on the concierge level Rooms 526, 527 & 528. The rooms were very nice and comfortable with a fantastic view. The rooms were overlooking the activity pool, and I would ask for rooms over the quiet pool next time, but since we spent a majority of the day on the beach, it was fine. The concierge located on the 5th floor was extremely helpful and catered to our needs. I can't say enough about the staff..they were professional, friendly and would do anything for you. Nothing was a problem..customer service was outstanding! Special thanks to Consuela and Ivan who were amazing! The service on the beach was quick and they were always checking on us...they even brought a cake and bottle of champagne to the beach as a surprise to our friend who was celebrating her birthday! The service deserves 5 stars in every restaurant, bar, the beach and the pool.
The food was excellent! If you wanted something that was not on the menu, they made it happen. Twice we ordered room service for snacks and drinks before dinner and the order was brought up in less than 30 minutes. The housekeeping staff was very efficient and our room was always thoroughly cleaned.
The only negative is that the pools lose the sun early due to the hotel's location...but you get more than enough sun by 4 p.m., so it is not a big problem.
We used our hotel credits on the spa, wine upgrades, dinner on the beach (highly recommend) and some purchases with no problem.
It was a wonderful trip!

Room Tip: Concierge level is worth the upgrade..I would ask to overlook the quiet pool
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Thank you for your very kind words.

To be very frank it was quite a triumph to get your rooms toghether given our very high occupancies for the month so I am very happy you enjoyed them for the most part.

When guests write me before arrival it makes catering to them easier because both they and us know what to expect. I thank you for doing this and urge everone that can to do the same.

Some of our visitors are even apologetic about writing but believe me, if the result is as in your case a five point stay and review, it is really my pleasure to answer all your queries.

As for the sun situation, well, firstly, there's precious little I can do about it but more importantly, precious little I want to do. I really worry about my guests' skin health and sometimes you overdo it. It really botches a vacation up to look like a red lobster for a few days, especially with the way the heat is acting up.

Again: Happy birthday! I hope you will make it common practice to celebrate each one year after year.

Cordially,

Been to Sun Palace? Share your experiences!