“Fantastic Trip With Friends!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sun Palace

Save Saved
You added Sun Palace to your Saves list
Sun Palace
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd. Kukulcan Km 20 | Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
$1500 Resort Credit
Ranked #4 of 174 Hotels in Cancun
Pennsylvania
“Fantastic Trip With Friends!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

My husband and I and two other couples decided to stay at the Sun Palace to celebrate our friend's 60th birthday may 18 thru May 24, 2013. We stayed on the concierge level Rooms 526, 527 & 528. The rooms were very nice and comfortable with a fantastic view. The rooms were overlooking the activity pool, and I would ask for rooms over the quiet pool next time, but since we spent a majority of the day on the beach, it was fine. The concierge located on the 5th floor was extremely helpful and catered to our needs. I can't say enough about the staff..they were professional, friendly and would do anything for you. Nothing was a problem..customer service was outstanding! Special thanks to Consuela and Ivan who were amazing! The service on the beach was quick and they were always checking on us...they even brought a cake and bottle of champagne to the beach as a surprise to our friend who was celebrating her birthday! The service deserves 5 stars in every restaurant, bar, the beach and the pool.
The food was excellent! If you wanted something that was not on the menu, they made it happen. Twice we ordered room service for snacks and drinks before dinner and the order was brought up in less than 30 minutes. The housekeeping staff was very efficient and our room was always thoroughly cleaned.
The only negative is that the pools lose the sun early due to the hotel's location...but you get more than enough sun by 4 p.m., so it is not a big problem.
We used our hotel credits on the spa, wine upgrades, dinner on the beach (highly recommend) and some purchases with no problem.
It was a wonderful trip!

Room Tip: Concierge level is worth the upgrade..I would ask to overlook the quiet pool
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Thank you for your very kind words.

To be very frank it was quite a triumph to get your rooms toghether given our very high occupancies for the month so I am very happy you enjoyed them for the most part.

When guests write me before arrival it makes catering to them easier because both they and us know what to expect. I thank you for doing this and urge everone that can to do the same.

Some of our visitors are even apologetic about writing but believe me, if the result is as in your case a five point stay and review, it is really my pleasure to answer all your queries.

As for the sun situation, well, firstly, there's precious little I can do about it but more importantly, precious little I want to do. I really worry about my guests' skin health and sometimes you overdo it. It really botches a vacation up to look like a red lobster for a few days, especially with the way the heat is acting up.

Again: Happy birthday! I hope you will make it common practice to celebrate each one year after year.

Cordially,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (990)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

All I can say is...if you can't be happy at Sun Palace, you can't be happy anywhere! My husband and I just celebrated our 10yr anniversary with our new amigos at Sun Palace for 8 glorious nights, and it was fabulous in every way!

The only surprise was that we were expecting to be able to upgrade to concierge level and we had estimated from previous reviews that it would take about 300 resort credits to do so. Upon arrival we were told it would actually cost 118 per night. We opted not to upgrade, but were put in a VERY nice room attached to a suite with an outdoor jacuzzi and views of the ocean and lagoon. We noticed a smell coming from the bathroom vent every afternoon but were scared to mention anything because we liked our room so much we didn't want to be moved (so obviously the smell was a very minor thing). We brought some pillow/room spray from Bath & Body Works so it was all good. Almost every room has a beautiful view, and we never felt like we were missing out by being in the "cheap" rooms. The bed was very comfortable! Great sleep!! The shower was spacious and had great water pressure. We used the clothes line every day to dry our suits (nice touch). Also, the CHI hair dryer & flat iron was excellent. All the CHI lotions, soaps etc were excellent for that matter. We wished that the air conditioning would have worked with the door open because it would have been lovely to sleep to the sounds of the waves crashing outside, but the humidity kept us from doing that most nights. Overall...great rooms!

The food selection was very adequate on the resort, and we had the option to try out all the other restaurants at the other Palace resorts, but we decided to stay put. The "fancy" Italian restaurant seemed stuffy to both of us, and our only negative comment here was that the tables seemed too close to have a private conversation. The Oriental was my favorite - great sushi, great mai tai, delicious everything and fabulous atmosphere! The Steak outdoor grill was my husband's favorite. We had awesome food there too - really really enjoyed it! The Alamo was really good food too, but again, we didn't want to eat indoors like we can do anywhere at home. We wanted the open, fresh sea air and warm breeze as we ate. Good thing the outdoor options were so delicious!! We took advantage of room service for breakfast in bed every morning. The drinks were delicious, always served with a smile, and never in short supply! The actual drink menu is small (in my opinion), but they will make absolutely anything you ask for and all the bartenders were fabulous. Some things that really set Sun Palace apart from the rest was the attention to personal service at the pool & beach. By the middle of the week, Consuela was just bringing us our favorite drinks & chips/guac/salsa with the friendly greeting "It's my pleasure." Thank you, Sun Palace, for all the treats in our room too -- it was so nice to come in at the end of the day and find a bottle of champagne, merlot, chocolate cake, coconut cookies, hershey kisses, fresh fruit, and flower petals. You anticipated everything and made our stay so special!

The pools & beach were wonderful. A couple of days when we got a later start we did find it a little bit harder to find a "good" spot, but there was never a bad spot (if that makes sense). If we were unhappy with the selection by the pool, we just went to the beach and always had a very friendly worker set up chairs & and umbrella for us. They seem happy to help - you just have to ask for an umbrella, a table, whatever you need if it's not readily available. The waves seemed a little rough the week we were there. Some people we met told us the waves had never been so choppy in the 4 or 5 times they'd visited. We took a nice walk south of S.P. to the lighthouse where there is an absolutely quiet, waveless beach and beautiful rock formations, snails, coral, tons of fish... we even spotted an iguana sunbathing.

The credits were wonderful & we felt they were explained to us very well by Maria upon our arrival. She gave us info about the timeshare presentation at Moon Palace & then called us the following day to ask if we were interested. We declined, and that was that. We used 250 credits on a couples massage which was fabulously relaxing! We wished we had brought our swimsuits so we could enjoy the hot tub and steam room. I suppose we could have gone back to enjoy those amenities, but my advice would be to just come prepared to stay and enjoy the spa. We also used about 350 credits to do the Dolphin Discovery. What an experience!! We paid the $30/pp out of pocket to upgrade to the the "Royal Swim" for a more personal experience with the dolphins and we both felt that was the best $60 we spent. SO worth it!! At Sun Palace, they offer 2 different dolphin things...one is at Wet & Wild (south side of Cancun) which includes some sort of water park. The other is on Isla Mujeres (a small island north of Cancun) and a 30-45 minute ferry ride away from the north tip of the hotel strip. They are both the same length of time (one was 9am-5pm, one was 10am-6pm) and I believe they cost the same amount. We opted to go to Isla Mujeres and we were so glad we did! What a beautiful ferry ride, lovely island, such nice amenities! It was my favorite day!! On the island we were given the option of relaxing at the two pools (showers, lockers, bathrooms included), eating & drinking at the restaurants (all included in the package), shopping, snorkeling (extra fee), swimming with sharks/stingrays/manatees, and then of course the dolphin excursion. After the "Royal Swim" we took a glass-bottom boat ride through the world's 2nd largest coral reef ($15/pp). The negative about the day (which is totally unrelated to Sun Palace) was that the photos of the dolphin experience were SO overpriced!! I think each individual picture was $25 & packages started around $125 and went up from there. Annoying.

One more random thing about our time at S.P. -- I got a horrible ear infection and it was very painful after a few days. I was worried to fly home & felt it needed attention before we left. After debating whether we should go into town to see a doctor who may or may not have issue with the language barrier, we finally decided to call the hotel doctor. He was there within a half hour and helped me immensely. It was not cheap...that's for sure! The appointment was $70 (charged to room) and the meds he prescribed ended up being $180 (cash). In retrospect, it probably would have been cheaper to go into town (it's my understanding that antibiotics are available over the counter), but I was very thankful to have the security of an on-site doctor who was kind, attentive, and ultimately helpful.

It was a fabulous trip and we will have to come back soon! Leaving was really hard!! Thanks for the wonderful time, Sun Palace!!

pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Wonderful review!

When all's said and done your words are proof that if you want to have a great time, you will.
Or as you write: If you're not happy at Sun Palace you won't be happy anywhere.
Allthough not necessarily...we do have situations where we've been to blame. (It would be so nice but not honest to claim perfection.)

But there are things and there are things. I just had a guest complain about the birds. What should I do, shoot them?

Thank you for a very detailed review and most complimentary words. We hope to see you soon.

Cordially,
Philadelphia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

This place was great, my boyfriend and I just got back from a 6 day stay and overall, it was wonderful. That being said, I do have a few suggestions for fellow travelers who may be looking to book this resort...
-Do not go here if you're looking for nightlife, there is none. It's really close to the airport, but that's about it.
-The service provided by the staff is second to none. Those men and women work their tails off every day and they do so with a smile.
-The concierge level is awesome, upgrade to it if you can.
-Don't book this place strictly for the resort credits. With 11% tax charged on EVERYTHING you use them for, expect to spend a good bit regardless.
-The food is OK, nothing really incredible. The best food is at the Oriental Lounge. Men: don't stress too much about packing for the "dress code." I'd bring pants, but don't stress, I saw a guy walk into the Italian place (the advertised "fanciest" restaurant there) looking like he just rolled out of bed and he was given no problems. Also, if you order a steak medium rare, be prepared for it to be dark RED and veiny. Order medium if you like a juicy pink center.
-Dinner on the beach is nice, but lonnnng due to slow service- don't book the 8:30 seating on a night you want to do anything else afterwards.

Now, to the powers that be at the resort, may I kindly suggest,
-PLEASE update the music at the pool bar. A disco song here and there is ok, but no one wants to hear the Village People doing "Macho Man" every 30 mins...no matter how many tequila shots they've had. It made us feel awkward.
-The pools are not very clean. I noted several buffalo wing bones floating in the one, along with with cups and hair ties all over the bottom and other various debris. Also, the drink service on the beach was painfully slow most of the time, even with tipping. I think you need more staff dedicated to that.
-the birds around the food areas are nasty. Maybe it would be possible to put up some see through wire to prevent them from landing on the food tables?

All-in-all it was a great trip and i cannot say enough about the amazing staff. Other than a few minor suggestions for improvement, I was happy. We will probably will give another resort a try next time just to be a little closer to shops and restaurants as there is not much going on around the SP after sunset.

• Stayed May 2013
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
Thank you for your good comments on our resort.

Absolutely true: No disco. None wanted. None needed. 8 and a half pesos in the bus will get you to the heart of discos in Cancun (ca. .70 USD).
The credits are an added perk. Definitely not the reason to book. People should book here if they want top notch service, beautiful views, good quality, safe food and drinks and very attractive rooms.

I disagree on pool cleanliness. We have people on site only for that purpose. However, if you were there when there was some wind and things flew they will pick it up it does tak a few minutes more. They will also pick up personal stuff which out of common courtesy everybody should be picking up after themselves.

The birds...well, they are part of nature. Were here before us and will be here after us. It is very seldom a bird will come near any humans. They know better. You would want all of the view covered by a mesh? Neither doable nor desirable.

Norco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

We had an amazing time at this resort! I had stayed at the Cancun Palace a long while ago, which is now the Hard Rock Hotel/Resort, and it was just as I expected, Awesome! The resort is a smaller one, which is better that way, only because there's no kids allowed. The staff at Sun Palace was awesome, especially Daniel in the "El Alamo" restaurant, who did all he could to ensure we were completely satisfied. He asked us to a special dinner in "El Alamo" and as we were being seated he asked us what we wanted to eat, went to the kitchen and had it prepared for us, including drinks. During our dinner the chef was brought out to meet us, along with the pastry chef; It was phenomenal. We were catered to the entire 9 days we stayed at Sun Palace, from the turn down service, to the drinks at the swim-up bar, everything was great. The beach is beautiful and the service is very good there as well. These are some of the most hardest working people around, they're sweating and in full uniform and take care of you as you sunbathe, I made sure we tipped them as much as possible, although they say it's all inclusive, it's just the right thing to do. The room was great, the food was great, the Japanese restaurant was awesome. My only regret is that I did not buy the smaller time share, the bigger one was pricey but the smaller one was very affordable. Only because I know we'll be back again, my girlfriend absolutely loved it. I'm already looking into going back for my birthday in November. All in all we had a great time and are looking forward to going back but with family and friends.

Room Tip: We were on the 3rd floor and had a great view, just use your room credits to upgrade.
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
It is getting indeed very hot! And yes, for the kids working the morning-afternoon shift we have to be extra careful to keep the hydrated, protect their eyes with sun glasses (not my favorite because you lose a bit in eye to eye communication) and use sun block. One can never be too careful.

I am happy you got to experience this very personal food event. Indeed, our staff does bend backwards to satisfy. Considering the amount of work due to our high occupancies, I must assume you are very dear to them.

I will be looking forward to you possible November visit.

Cordially yours,
Waco, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

Well rating are really off on this one - they should have a six as my husband says. We stayed a week and almost cried when we went home. The staff was smiling and happy to do anything for you.

We celebrated our 34th Anniversary - and was surprised with a cake and Champagne - and later when we got back to the room they had the biggest towel art I have ever seen - It was gorgeous.

The food was great - we couldn't even order room service because we were so full from all the food during the day.

We also upgrated - which was great - bigger balcony

We are going again next year - can't wait

pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
How do you respond to such a review?

We are simply the right resort for the right people. It is certainly our privilige to host guests that are totally satisfied.

One thing I can tell you: I am glad you didn't cry when you left. Even after my 43 years in the business the worst part of my day is when clients say good-bye. Normally they ask me: Will I be in tomorrow to say good bye. I used to say yes and never show up. But I've gotten wiser: Now I do tell my departing clients that I hate good byes. And it is the truth. Seeing you walk out the door and into your transportation always leaves me with a feeling of loss.

I know I will see you again...I just can't stand departures.

Let me know when you are returning, please.

All my best,
Westlake Village, California, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

Just returned from a week at the Sun Palace. Great vacation! No screaming kids, only screaming adults having fun! This was our first stay at the Sun Palace. Have been to Aventura Spa Place and Moon Palace Nizuc and Sunrise. This was better, smaller, fewer people, more attention from the staff. All staff members were always attentive, spoke English, though I always try my Spanish, which they are always eager to help with. All inclusive, so leave your wallet in the safe in your room except for some Peso Bills for tips for your favorites. Ours was Mauricio on the beach! He always seemed to know when you needed something and showed up without looking for him. The water was warm and clean as was the beach.
We had three great Massages at the SPA and Three rounds of Golf, two at Riviera Cancun and one at Moon Palace. Food was best at the Alamo Mexican and the Pool Grill. Room service was good as well. The gym is OK but some of the equipment really needs updating. Kudos to Giovanni and Keveen at the front Hospitality desk and the Maitre D at the Alamo!

Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

We arrived at the Sun Palace a bit early in the day and I knew our room wouldn't be ready. But to wait 3 1/2 hours is a bit straining and uncomfortable after traveling all morning. A 5 star hotel would never let customers wait so long. I asked if there was a "courtesy room " to change so we could enjoy the beach while we waited and was told no they did not have this feature. No one bothered to tell us we could go up to the gym and change there. People at the front desk need to speak better English. So like a few others I read about here we waited in the bar. My daughter had called the resort to Upgrade us before we arrived and surprise me when we arrived on Mother's Day.......... her gift to me. This I guess was a big problem for this hotel and no one knew if there would be a upgraded room available until we checked into the hotel? Hummmmm REALLY? I thought that what computer's are for... click click and give us an answer please ! We got to talk to someone at the front desk who spoke better English and he wanted to make sure he ran our credit card and charged us before we would get a room upgrade $504.00. Than more waiting. Our first room was on the 4th floor room 415. We were so tired We sat on the bed and it rattled and sweaked and we just laughed. Old Old bed.I went to join my husband in the shower and was shocked at the condition of the shower stall room. The little seat in it was all stained and looked terrible. I was not going to sit on that or take a shower in that shower stall.....YUCK The walls were sanded so many times and there were scuff marks and dirt all over the walls as well as scuff dirty marks, glass rings, stain spills all around the hot tub area. They moved us to room room 616 which is not on the concierge level. The room was smaller, the bed didn't make rattling noises and had less scuff and dirt marks in the shower and around the tub and it did have a bigger balcony but less of a view. We were to tired to keep looking and waiting for a room so we settled for this room. We did not have the upgraded bar or the upgraded Chi products promised us. Like others I read about try to get your room away from the elevators, the staff, maids etc are very noisy at all hours. Banging chairs, dishes etc .The concierge just took your room service order and not much more. By the end of the week I was playing phone games trying to order something up to the room. Took me 3 or 4 tries before I got someone who spoke English to take my order. Felt like I was bothering them. And than on our last day like magic our concierge was back and answered the phone? The rooms have older furnishings and it showed. Wicker chairs in room weren't too comfy if you sat back the wicker would bite your sunburn. The seat pads on the chairs were old and had some stains. Felt like the 80's LOL
Most the time I noticed the house keeping using the same used towels I had thrown on the floor. I knew this because of my make up marks on the towels. Half the towels were very tattered and very well used and fringed. I have seen pool towels better than these towels. They just folded the same old towels and hung them back up. My robe was ripped with a big chuck taken out of the sleeve. Believe me we were tipping well and spent over $300 tipping. Tipping the maid I didn't see any difference in room clean up. The snacks person was not consistent either. Sometimes we got chips and other days we did not. There were ants all around the snack and coffee pot area where they left the beautiful little desserts every night. But really did the ants get to it before we got back from dinner??? .
This was my 3rd time a Palace resort and I rank this 3rd to the other two.
Over all service around the resort was wonderful. Most the workers were very good and happy to help you. But there were some that weren't that good.
I'd like to mention Estrella on the beach and Eulalia from room service were the best. Omar and the other restaurant manager were also very good.
The food at the resort was very good . The spa had the best steam room and the massage was very good.
The pools are very small and very crowded we couldn't get a seat there which was a good thing having so many people in such small pools.
The beach staff was great and set you up a chair and umbrella everyday beachfront ! The beach is the best and the water clear and beautiful.
I didn't feel the upgrade was worth the extra $500... we could have went on their timeshare tour and got upgraded free but I know that takes hours even though they say 90 minutes. If you have points I would upgrade using them. Not worth the cash though.
All and all we had a great time. Would we go back to Palace resorts.... maybe not. There are plenty of other resorts on the same beautiful beach in the hotel zone .

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sun Palace? Share your experiences!