“Palace Resorts Do It Right!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sun Palace

You added Sun Palace to your Saves list
Sun Palace
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd. Kukulcan Km 20 | Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
$1500 Resort Credit
Ranked #4 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Atlanta, GA
“Palace Resorts Do It Right!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

First of all to Nathie85- I have stayed at more than 30 different all inclusives in Cabo, Puerto Villarta, Dominican Republic, Jamaica, Puerto Rico, St. Lucia, Antigua, The Bahamas, Acapulco, and I'm sure some I've forgotten. The Sun Palace is an excellent resort!

As with ALL resorts there are pluses and minuses.
Pluses- Top Shelf Service is the signature of Palace Resorts
Food is above average for an all-inclusive
Drinks are truly top shelf
Beach is beautiful
Pools are clean and slightly heated so they are not cold
Fitness center is in excellent condition
Convenient to the airport
Resort credit makes it a good value
Excellent Nicklaus Golf course nearby
Very good spa

Minuses- resort is relatively small
Possibly too quiet for some
Limited restaurant selection- the Italian is the best
Very Average entertainment
No night club- you have to go to the Moon Palace for it and provide your own transportation
No tennis courts

Overall we were very pleased with our experience here. It was exactly what we were looking for. It's very quiet, excellent service, good food and drinks. As some have said it is an older crowd. My wife is 46 and I am a young 53. I would say we were on the younger end of the average age. However, we were looking for total down time and we got it. We used half of our resort credits and chose a room upgrade. Ours was outstanding. We were on the 5th floor in a presidential suite. Our room had three balconies. One overlooked the lagoon. The other two faced the beach. Our room was very clean. The beds were very comfortable. Room service was prompt and flavorful. I used some of our credit to play golf. We both used the remainder for spa services, two massages each and I got a pedicure. With all of that we still had enough for a tequila package. This was our third stay at a Palace Resort and we weren't disappointed. Our other two stays were in Puerta Villarta (Villarta Palace) and Aventura Spa Palace (Riviera Maya).

Note- this is not a resort for younger people under 40 or so. If your looking for action and a lot of activity on the resort this would not be a good choice for you.

The $1500 resort credits make this an excellent value.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
I shouldn't be saying this. But thank you for your kind defense. And thank you even more for a very nice description of some of the services we offer. You have it right on the dot.

Some reviews can be very harsh but compared to the number of nice comments for the most part they normally do not constitute other than flukes. And then, we do not pretend to be perfect.

But hosting guests like yourself, that is our pride and joy. Espcially because you gave us a goal to attain: Convert you into a five point grade. So we wil do it next time.

All that matters to Sun Palace is to have our very valued guests satisfied. And we will continue to improve until we are the best in your opinion.

Best regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,070)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
MONTICELLO, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

This resort has top notch service. We were treated as if members but we just booked through a travel service. We never had a bad meal, but don't order appeys in the Oriental restaurant as they bring you soup, sushi and spring rolls before your meal, that were amazing, so we had way too much food and felt bad it had to go to waste. We wanted Filet Mignon while dining at the Steak house but it wasn't on the menu, they still made it for us, no problem, no up charge, just soooooo gracious. I love when they say "It's a playyschur", so sweet ALWAYS......We went to some of the sister resorts and every time we couldn't wait to "Go Home" to our resort. The pools are small, but it doesn't matter at all since it's an All Couples resort, so no kids or teens in the pool. We went with 8 people and every night they had fun options for us to do. We all ranged from 48 to 64 in age and had a blast.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Members have indeed special perks. But: Every guest is is a King and a Queen.

The people that work for you at Sun Palace have been chosen because of their vocation to service. See, in our country, where technology is eons away from what it is in more "advanced" parts of the planet there is a very natural person to person culture. I think this is what our visitors find so amiable. Techonology gives way to cooler efficency. By contrast, given the peculiarites of more requirements for people jobs-to offset the shortcomigs of say, less advanced electronics, and the likes-people get the work done. Sunds complex but isn't.

It is excellent to know that all in your party had a good time and we cannot wait for another of your visits.

Clarksville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

We stayed at Sun Palace for 7 nights starting on March 19th. This was our 2nd time staying at Sun Palace, but this time we brought another couple with us, and it definitely did not disappoint! There were a few relatively minor disappointments, but overall we just love this resort! Just for reference, we are in our mid to upper twenties, and we were definitely some of the younger guests at the resort, although there were a few other couples our age. It didn't bother us though that there weren't a ton of young guests because we weren't really looking for the "party scene", plus we were already traveling with another couple our age.

We used our "resort credit" to upgrade to Concierge Level, which we absolutely thought was worthwhile. This used up only about 450 of our 1500 total credit, which meant that we only had to pay about $45 for this upgrade (the 11% tax). The main selling points for the upgrade for us was that we got a little bit larger room than last time, a private "dinner on the beach" (which ended up being by the pool due to weather the night we scheduled ours), and a 25-minute couples massage. Plus the concierge service was available of course, but we didn't end up using that for much.

We used the rest of our resort credit on a round of golf at Moon Palace for my husband, an 80-minute massage and a 50-min facial at the spa for me, and the rest we spent on purchasing the "tequila gift package" and the "cigar gift package" at the end of our trip (just to use up our credit mostly). Our only complaint with the resort credit was that it did seem to be rather restrictive. For example, there is a $300 cap on credit that can be used at the spa. It would have been nice to use more of it there, but this is a rather minor complaint. We also wished that you could have used the resort credit at the gift shop or on sundries (such as the sunblock that we had to buy at $20 a pop...ouch!)

One thing to note is that the Sun Palace is a very small and intimate resort compared to many others in Cancun. To many people this may be a negative, but to us it is really nice. We have been to huge all-inclusives before (such as Sandals) and absolutely hated it. We enjoy the more intimate setting and the way we weren't treated as just another of the millions of guests. We really got to know a few of the staff members and we were treated like royalty 99% of the time. It is true though that because of the smaller nature of the resort the entertainment "shows" aren't quite as huge of a production and the food and activity options are more limited.

The nice thing that makes up for this though is that you can visit any other Palace Resort during your stay and still eat/drink for free and enjoy the amenities offered there. During our stay we ventured over to the Beach Palace for the day by taking a SUPER easy $1 city bus ride down the strip. The bus transportation was way easier than we expected and we actually were kicking ourselves for not realized how simple it was sooner so we could have explored more while we were there. Once we arrived at the Beach Palace we were able to take advantage of the completely different vibe there (kid-friendly and definitely more people). It was a great little change of pace for the day!

As far as the food goes, I should preface this section by telling you that my husband and I are definitely "foodies". We LOVE to eat and we tend to be more snobbish when it comes to food than your average person. That being said, the food was good but not great. Compared to other all-inclusive food we've had before we think it ranks up there as one of the best. However, it still left us a little underwhelmed at times. The breakfast buffet was fabulous and we found ourselves missing it terribly once we arrived home. Made to order eggs, omelets, pancakes, waffles, etc. were fabulous and I really enjoyed sampling the different buffet options as well. Plus having bottomless mimosas at breakfast every morning is never a bad thing! ;) The lunch buffet (same location as the breakfast) was also wonderful. Again they had made to order meat/seafood/burgers/hot dogs/etc. as well as a fabulous and changing buffet spread. The only complaint we had about lunch options was that we wished there was a place near the beach or the pool where you could order tacos or quesadillas, etc. There is a small pool snack bar menu but the options are really lame and there are almost no "Mexican food" options on it (think mediocre burger, hot dog, chicken nuggets, etc.) Call me crazy, but when I'm traveling to another country I want to eat the local food, not dumbed-down American food! When it comes to dinners we tried all the restaurant options and by far my favorite was El Alamo (the only Mexican food option). The tortilla soup was divine and the beef fajitas I had hit the spot! I was actually sad that we didn't have time to go back there for dinner again because there were other things that I wanted to try. The Asian/Thai restaurant was our 2nd favorite. I highly recommend the Tuna Tartar, the sushi and the Pad Thai. We ate here twice and I will say that some of the things we had were not so good, so it's hit or miss (the 2nd time I had the veggie curry, which was not great). The Italian Restaurant "Tratto" was decent, but nothing extraordinary. Considering how it's made out to be the "fanciest" of all the restaurants I was definitely expecting a bit more. I ordered "Tiramisu" for dessert and it was NOT even close to being Tiramisu. I actually had a dessert off the lunch buffet that tasted much more like Tiramisu but was labeled as something else. It was strange! We also ordered the "flaming coffee" with our dessert, which was fun to watch, but the coffee itself was pretty awful because we're pretty sure that our waitress accidentally put in double the licorice liquour and left out the brandy altogether. Blech! Our least favorite dinner option was the outdoor "Steak" grill. I will admit that we had this on our first night and we were all pretty tipsy at that point so we may not have been in the best state to judge it. But what I do remember from it was just okay. :) Oh and our "Dinner on the Beach" food was also pretty disappointing. There were only two menu options to pick from and neither of them were very good. One thing I absolutely loved was that everywhere you went there was endless chips with guacamole & pico de gallo. I probably ate more than my weight in chips & guac while we were there. So delicious and fresh!

The drink selection was plentiful and all that you could hope for from an all-you-can-drink resort. There were times when the drinks did not seem very strong at all, but all you have to do to remedy that is order a shot of something on the side to add to it. :) I was particularly impressed with the mojitos, which were delicious and full of fresh mint!

As far as the nightly entertainment goes, we really enjoyed the activities and/or entertainment that was offered. We loved Karaoke night and the "Anything Can Happen" game night in the Lobby Bar. We were laughing so hard on both nights! We watched the "Michael Jackson" show and the outdoor "Fire Show", which were both put on by professional groups. They were enjoyable shows, but we honestly enjoyed the more interactive and laid back vibe of the other nightly activities even more. When it comes to daytime entertainment, our husbands loved playing endless games of pool volleyball. We played Bingo on one day, which was fun. The entertainment staff does a fabulous job of engaging the guests but not pressuring everyone to participate too much. Our husbands felt like they were "best buds" with Francisco, Vanessa, Augustine and Eddy by the end of the trip! OH! I also can't forget to mention how awesome the Mentalist was who walked around and entertained guests at the Lobby Bar. He seriously blew our minds with his tricks (even my skeptic husband).

The staff in general was always great. Everyone had a smile on their face and always answered a "thank you" with "My pleasure". We did notice that people who were tipping the pool/beach waitstaff were getting better service than those who weren't, but that's to be expected.

The rooms are spacious and well-appointed. One of the best features is the in-room jacuzzi tub, although be warned that it takes a LONG time to fill it and it seemed to use up all the hot water in the room (so don't try to take a shower right after unless you enjoy cold showers). The housekeeping staff is almost magical...it seems like they just show up multiple times throughout the day to take care of your room, turn down your bed, turn on soothing music, etc. My only minor complaint with housekeeping was that I ran out of hair conditioner pretty often (I have long hair and the bottles are tiny) and they never replenished it with new product on their own. I eventually learned that I had to call down and request more conditioner on my own, which was slightly annoying. We were also a bit annoyed with how much you can hear all the noise in the hallways. I never really heard a ton of loud obnoxious guests but the food and housekeeping carts were super loud rolling down the hallways. If you're a light sleeper (which I am not) you may want to bring a pair of earplugs or something so that you can sleep in later in the mornings.

Finally, I've seen people complain about the sun being blocked by the building by 3pm each day (which is true). I guess it depends on your preference though as to whether it bothers you because we LOVED this. We were sick of the sun and needing some shade usually by that time of day anyway, granted my husband and I are both pale and burn easily. The weather while we were there was PERFECT though. Highs in the 80's, lows in the 70's. Hardly a drop of rain, until our last day.

Wow - I'm sorry this got so long! I guess I had a lot to say. :) Overall, we truly loved our vacation and we've already discussed how we would love to go back to Sun Palace again, or perhaps try out one of the other Palace Resorts for a change. Thanks for a great week in paradise!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
You apologized for writing such a long review. Let me tell you: This is the kind of comments that really help other customers ans possible customers decide wether they want to stay at Sun Palace or not. It touches pretty much every subject.

This is what makes Trip Advisor and other social web-pages worthwhile. In the end it is not the ranting or raving that tells you if this particular resort or hotel is right for you. It is a client to client description, albeit, of a ver personal experience but totally devoid of any strings or pressures. The way it is presented is the way that person or persons really felt their expereinece. This is priceless!

Garfield the cat-who happens to be one of my heroes- once said: "Brochure is French for lie."
Maybe a bit Garfieldesque-it must have been on a Monday-but nonetheless a presentation of someone selling their wares-whatever they are-.

So. Enough philosophy. I find your words true and kind. I do hope others will be better informed by them

Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

This was our first trip and Sun Palace did not diss appoint. First let me say yes we did book through members but not once during our stay did we see anyone being treated different to the next related to the color of their band. Everyone is important! From the moment of arrival and entering room we were in love. The rooms are Nice. Jacuzzi is awesome. Bed is comfortable. Room service is 24/7 and never ran into long wait. We upgrade to concierge level. Had view of the ocean from our room. Rarely used the concierge not due to service of the staff just and the few times we did they were so great. Recommend the concierge dinner that's include with the upgrade it was on beach, romantic and dinner was great. Spa was amazing. Food was great. Breakfast and lunch other than room service is at El Alamo buffet style. There was plenty and it was good. You could also get lunch out by the pool or bar area. Dinner at EL Alamo was delicious!! Had dinner at the Italian restaurant that was delicious as well. The oriental restaurant we tried once let me b clear when I say it's not for me it's a cuisine you have to like other than that the taste was good but I myself personally cannot get with the combinations even if wolf gang puck made it. I only say this to not discourage you from the oriental restaurant if u like that kind of cuisine. I wish I was that good where I can remember every staff members name. EVERYONE from front desk, spa, housekeeping, any and every staff member at Sun Palace was AMAZING. They make u feel at home and try there best to accommodate your needs. (Some ppl u cannot satisfy regardless of what) resort credits are not confusing or misleading. We stayed 8/7 so got $1500 credits. U only pay the 11% tax on what u use so if u use the entire 1500 that's only $165. We used 300 in spa and did some tours and upgrades. Chefs dinner is a must. 5 course meal prepared in front of you. The food was delicious!!the dolphin swim at Moon was also great. We took the bus right outside for about $1 usd pp one way to go to marina/mall. Always felt safe. Never used the VIP section on beach. Really didn't matter the staff is more than willing to get u chairs and umbrellas. We where celebrating our anniversary during our stay and it was just great. We loved so much I am already helping mom plan her trip for Sun and we are planning trip for the kids at Moon and looking at doing our vowel renewal (coming soon) at Sun. You cannot go wrong here!!!

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
It is very nice to be called a "paradise". Believe me: You made my day today!

Having been in the hotel business for more years I care to remember I never get tired of a complimentary note such as yours which basically says: "Thank you, we had a wonderful stay." In all these years I have been trained for one thing only: To ensure that each guest leaves feeling satisfied. The simple truth of the service industry.

I enjoyed reading your very kind and eloquent comments and I hope you will be back soon to regale us with more of them.

With my deepest appreciation.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

The only way to make sense of all these 4 and 5 star reviews is to assume that those individuals never stayed at any other hotel or the hotel they stayed at prior to Sun Palace was a nightmare. For my wife and I, Sun Palace was somewhat of a nightmare being that our previous stay in Cancun was at Live Aqua. And given the fact that Sun Palace is the same price as Live Aqua, it's only fair to compare the two. I'll make my review as straightforward as possible from this point.

The food, service and hospitality of the staff is wonderful. I actually feel the food at Sun Palace is better than Live Aqua despite the fact that there is no a la carte lunch. Still, the buffet offers something tasty for everyone, and the dinner options offer quality and flavor, especially the Asian restaurant.

The rooms lack attention to detail given the price point. None of the rooms have the best view and some have awful views. We upgraded our room upon arrival and they tried to pawn off a room with a crap view, so we changed immediately. We left the second room because of annoyingly noisy neighbors and our third room was not in the best shape. It included a closet door that wouldn't remain shut. A nightstand drawer that wouldn't remain closed. A balcony railing that moved. A peephole cylinder that rotated, and the best was a balcony door that howled and whistled nonstop in accordance with the wind. Such negatives may seem acceptable and or completely trivial when staying at a $100 a night hotel, but when paying $500 a night, it's completely unacceptable.

One of the biggest issues with all the rooms is that regardless of their conditions, they all have the same entry door which is a cheap and poorly insulated piece of garbage. My wife and I never slept in later than 8:30 am. You can hear every single thing going on in the hallways from the loud and obnoxious conversations of classless guests all the way to the squeaky wheels of the room service and maid service carts. The worst is the violent door slamming resulting from guests ignoring the signs on their balcony doors which explains that leaving the balcony door open can result in dangerous door slamming caused by the wind. Attempting to sleep in later than 8:30-9:00 am was futile.

The "pools" are a joke. There are two, with one being half the size of the other and the larger one being a tad larger than a pool that a wealthy American would have in their backyard. The jacuzzi is completely in the shade and unheated. It's basically useless.

The absolute worst part about Sun Palace is the obstruction of the sun. The building is set far back on it's plot of land so that the space between the building and the shore is narrow. As a result, the building actually begins to block the sun once the sun begins to drop from it's highest point in the sky. By 2:30-3:00pm, the majority of the pool and beach lounging areas are covered in shade. By 3:30-4:00pm, the sun is all but gone. One can simply look to their right or left while standing on the beach in front of the resort and see that the sun is still shining bright on all the other resorts not built so close to the shoreline.

There is no way I would ever return to Sun Palace at their current price point, especially since Live Aqua is the same price. It's simply not worth the price.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
I was flabbergasted by your review. How can a resort that is well liked has good occupancy by excellent guests miss so terribly with you?

Your comments however, do throw light, especially the one about other guests not knowing how to travel. Under the photograph is a note of how many reviews each person has written. Anywhere from 1 to over 60, as far as I've seen. And many of them, I am happy to say, are repeat customers of Sun Palace.

I respect everyone's right to their own view and this is an open forum thtat encadres not only products but the individuals writing them. Gratefully most of our reviewers do not share your opinion nor your demeanor.

Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

Fantastic retreat for couples looking for; great location, fabulous beach, exceptional staff and great food. The rooms are well appointed and extremely comfortable. A lot of places it is really easy to give props to a real ace staff member, you usually find that guy/gal that is a cut above the rest. I gave this some thought, here there isn't that one individual. Across the board this staff is among the very best I have ever encountered. Ask the waterfront staff about a streach class, boom your doing it. Need something different in your diet, no problem it's there. Always a smile and a greeting (a real one) from everyone. Like any great team they seem to lift each other in the common goal of delivering an exceptional experience.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
What a great review!

I am very proud of my team but you have availed me one notch further by your comment on how they uplift each other. Or better yet, most of the time they do not require a manager to do what they have to do.

Either you are a Manager yourself or you have highly honed people skills to be so accurately observant.

As such, it is a pleasure serving you. I hope to enjoy many more of your visits. This type of comments really helps me. Thank you!

Saint Augustine, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

If you enjoy the amenities and service of a five star resort without a five star price, then Sun Palace is for you. This was our first visit to Sun Palace and it totally exceeded our expectations in every regard. The resort was absolutely stunning! The staff made you feel welcome from the moment you arrived and the lobby always smelled amazing!

The beds were incredibly comfortable and the room size was generous. I was particularly impressed by the size of our balcony (albeit it was so large it was more like a terrace). The view there was breathtaking. One design layout of the room that was a little bizarre was that the water closet was behind a frosted glass door instead of a regular closet style door. Aesthetically, the design blended beautifully next to the frosted glass shower door, but frankly, I felt like I lost a bit of privacy when using the toilet.

The quality of food was a pleasant surprise. It was very good and the selection of menu items was generous. Room service was quick and on time and the food was actually hot when it arrived. Lo Trotto was probably our favorite eatery. The food was excellent as was the presentation. Alamo was also very good, particularly the Mexican dinner in the evenings.

Resort staff members were incredibly friendly and made you feel special. It was nice to have the staff members call you by name during your visit. The concierge staff was amazing. They took care of our requests quickly and accurately.

Overall, this was a great resort and we will return.

Room Tip: Go for a sixth floor concierge level room. They have the largest balconies.