“Tries very hard to be 5* but..........” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sun Palace

You added Sun Palace to your Saves list
Sun Palace
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd. Kukulcan Km 20 | Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #5 of 174 Hotels in Cancun
Windsor, Ontario
“Tries very hard to be 5* but..........”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

We just returned from two weeks at the Sun Palace. I would say first off, that this resort really does try to be a five star resort but in my view 5* means you do everything right, always. This resort does some things perfectly and some things, well, not so perfectly.

The check in process was smooth, seamless and all of our dealings with the front desk were handled professionally and quickly.

The room we had was an oceanview deluxe and because we were there to golf we did not have credits to use for upgrades etc. If you do go there to golf be sure to book your tee times in advance and keep a copy of the confirmation. We found at one of the courses we booked they had no record of our booking and although we still were able to golf we had to miss one day due to a tournament even though we had a confirmed tee time.

The room was clean and the view was gorgeous but we did on more than one occasion have to call down for basic things like soap and hand towels which were not provided. Not a big deal but it does get a little annoying when it happens more than once.

Room service was prompt and the meals provided good, not great but good.

As far as food goes you have four choices for restaurants. Breakfast is buffet style in the Alamo room and has just about every item you could want and we found service here to be five star every day. I would be remiss if I did not mention Sheila the hostess and Rudulfo the waiter whom both provided outstanding and friendly service.

As we golfed each day we only ate lunch once here and it too was very good.

At nighttime, the Alamo turns into a Mexican restaurant and quite honestly could easily be called fine dining. My hat is off to the chefs here. The Mexican food was well presented and very tasty. The same could be said of the Italian restaurant Tratto. The food here was also
top notch and in both of these restaurants the managers could be seen overseeing the service and even helping out when necessary.

Unfortunately, I cannot say the same of the steak house or the Asiana restaurant.
When I asked a fellow guest whom we were golfing with how his steak was he stated that he had ordered a rib eye and it was thin, poorly cooked and tough. I cannot agree with all of that assessment. Mine was cooked properly, it was however, thin and tough. The filets are much better in the Mexican and Italian restaurants.

The meal we had at Asiana tasted pretty much like a frozen Chinese dish that had been microwaved and while that may seem harsh it is none the less the truth.

Service in the restaurants ranged from fantastic (Sara comes to mind in Trattos) to not so great when we were delivered a meal we did not order and told by the waitress that we must be mistaken. I have made many mistakes in my life but I generally know what I order in restaurants. Outside of this one incident service was generally good. I guess what is missing is consistency. One night the service is perfect and the next night you may be eating your meal before someone asks if you would like a glass of wine with it.

As far as the bar service goes it was consistent, friendly and prompt and we had no issue with the quality of the beverages served.

The beach at Sun Palace is very nice and we enjoyed walking it each day.

So to sum things up, I would say that if the food quality and service were a bit more consistent than this could easily be a five star resort but at the moment it not quite up the the standards of the Royal in Playa del Carmen or a Secrets resort. It still is however a nice place to spend a couple of weeks.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Thank you very much for posting your thoughts on this forum.

I do indeed apologize for the inconsistencies you found in our service and will use your comments to better our services for everyone's convenience.

Please receive my regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,153)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Paso Robles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

This was our second visit to a Palace Resort in Mexico. Our first experience was in 2004 at the Moon Palace. This hotel has grown a lot since we were there 9 years ago, as we found out on an excursion to swim with the Dolphins (more on this later). The Sun Palace has two major things going for it that beats its big sister Moon Palace hands down....its an adults only resort, and it actually has a white sand beach with beautiful water that even has waves!
Having spent time at several other Rivera Maya resorts, we realized that there is a lot to be desired about most of the beaches. Cancun proper has more clear water and waves, and just actual beach. But Sun Palace is perched at the very beginning of the huge strip, so far removed from the Cancun Smarm and really lovely as the beach curves to the right in an invitingly private kind of way.
The room was beautiful. But honestly, for the most part these all inclusives in Mexico offer some pretty outstanding accomodations. This room was particularly comfy. The bed was very nice and the touch of aromatherapy in the room was a welcome addition. As were the pillows that had some perfect scents for relaxation....we chose Chamomile. Hmmmm....zzzz.....
The sound of the rolling ocean was a wonderful way to fall asleep and wake up to in the morning. There was an odd wind tunnel that formed when we opened the door to the balcony, that seemed to bring tornado strength winds to the room door. It was a bit eery, but not annoying.
Our room was always cleaned up on time, and left perfect. It is one of the cleanest resorts I have ever experienced.
The food was better than some, and certainly ample. Breakfast is a huge array of choices. Everything is fresh and appealing. There are healthy choices too. Its a winner. Lunch, we aren't big lunchers, but the fresh fish and meat is available for grilling, nice to put on a salad...just pick what you want...fresh salmon, calamari, steak? They will grill it up while you watch. Pretty cool.
Service in all the restaurants was great. In fact all the staff was amazingly nice and helpful....except...and I hate to say this. The bartenders at the Pool Bar (this is the activity pool I am talling about). They were bad bartenders. They couldn't make decent drinks most of the time and were rude. The rest of the bars and servers were great.
The pools. Well there really is just one pool. The activity pool. It is so cool because it is an infinity style, which looks over the ocean. A little windy at times, but really pretty. The other "pools" are tiny, and lose sun (atleast this time of year) pretty early.
Resort credits are useful, but be careful. I suggest to keep track. We used ours mostly for good bottles of wine. Be prepared to pay the tax on these separately. No biggie. The Spa treatments can be used with credits. We did that and only had a moderate upcharge for a longer massage. The massage was cookie cutter, but I'll take it.
We did one "tour" or excursion. It was to swim with the Dolphins. The experience was unforgettable. We were informed that the bus would take us to Moon Palace in the morning and we would be back by 2. What actually happened, was that the bus picked us up, went all the way down to Le Blanc (15 minutes) and picked up other guests, then back (15 minutes), then took us to Wet and Wild! Right? Whats Wet and Wild? It where you go if you are a drunk early twenty something or if you have kids. We fit into neither of those categories. Yet, we had to spend an hour at this attraction, get back on the bus and finally reach Moon Palace. Ok. no biggie again. Once there, the Dolphins, well what can we say? It was a really great experience and the location was great because the dolphins weren't in a pool, they are in the ocean, in closed in areas, and you get to be with them inreal ocean water and then they jump out of the water and put on a great show before you leave. Its amazing. However....on the way back we get dropped off again at Wet and Wild! We are ready to go back to our relaxing beach chairs, and are told we will be picked up at 5 pm! This is like 1 pm...so no way Jose. We and some other guests opted to take the public bus back. Just buyer beware, thats all I'm sayin.
If you are a romance minded couple you will love this place. It is quiet but not morgue like. It is private and there are lots of chairs and a helpful staff to make you feel very welcome. FYI, we did the photo session and it really was fun and came out great. You can use Resort Credits, but hey, go for the session, and buy just the CD with all pics. Then when you get home you can do what you want with them...go for it in cash, do not waste Resort Credits you can use for wine...they actually have decent ones that are proper vintages too.
All in all, I loved this trip and would recommend it to anyone, except people with kids. :)

Room Tip: All Concierge Level Rooms face the ocean...go for that.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
You are quite the romantic person..from your title on. Exactly what Sun Palace is meant for.

I enjoyed reading your very complete review-even those things that were negative experiences (which I will look into)- because as a true follower of the heart you sort of take notice but not consider them as important as to disrupt your enjoyment. This is a very special talent.

Thank you so much for your kind words and amiable disposition. Guests like you are the ones that keep my resort in public favor and my staff happy to work here. This means a lot.

Best regards,
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

It was our first time to Mexico. The Sun Palace was just awesome! So beautiful! The pools and beach area are fantastic. They were clean and lots of lounge chairs and umbrellas. The water is so beautiful. The staff at Sun Palace was terrific!! Good food and drinks also. I totally recommend the Sun Palace. We are already planning on next years already!!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Jr Suite Ocean view room and it was fantastic. Not a front view of ocean but enough...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
It is an honor to be your introduction to our beautiful country. Throughout my many years in the hotel business-especially in resorts-I've learned that Mexico is indeed the Amigo country. Its people are, for the most part, courteous, friendly and excellent hosts. As is in any part of the world, we enjoy meeting with visitors who are themselves courteous and friendly, interested in our culture and our natural beauties, which are manifold.

I would venture to say that anyone coming to Mexico-especially for the first time- shall fall in love with this land and be loved in return.

Thank you for choosing Sun Palace and for already thinking on coming back. Just let us know when.

Kindest thoughts,
Guilford,CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

The reason for the title of my review was that phrase was all I heard from the staff all week. We picked this resort based on the great reviews and it did not disappoint. We were able to use most of our$1500 resort credits. First we upgraded our room to concierge level, this gave us a nice ocean view room with extra amenities. My husband played golf one day at the Moon Palace( book your tee times early in the week, they get filled quickly) and I had some spa services. We also ordered upgrade wine a few nights. All this for just the 11% tax! The service was great in every aspect. Every dinner the manager would come over to see if we were happy and had everything we needed. Even though the gratuities were included we brought 1's and 5's for tipping it was appreciated but not expected. We went to visit the Beach Palace and the Moon Palace but we were happy with our choice, mainly because of the adult only atmosphere. The only thing that made us a little uncomfortable was the people that right away we had to talk to about the members club. We signed up to go to the Moon Palace the next day for the "Presentation" getting some perks for our trouble( round of golf, spa credit, etc.) but in the morning decided we would cancel and not bother as we weren't really interested in joining any members club. After that no one bothered us at all which was nice. We met some people during the week that were members and they seemed happy, but we still decided not to bother. All in all we would say that it was the best all inclusive we have been to, the food was great and varied. The beach and pool service was very available and friendly. The whole place was clean and the location was great on a nice long beach for walking and swimming. We took a bus into the shopping area for $1 each (about 10 minutes) and you can go tho the Beach Palace across the street for lunch or whatever. The Moon palace was about 25 minutes and was not serviced by the bus, but a complimentary shuttle was available twice a day. Taxi would have been about $30 each way. The only thing I wish I did differently was research the ground transportation better from the airport. The hotel service was $104 round trio for private service but it was only about 10 minutes from the airport. Maybe a taxi would have been a lot less?

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Palace Resorts introduced the: "My pleasure!" answer as standard about 8 years ago as an alternative for: "You are welcome!"
It is incredible how those two words have changed both my customers' and my staff's perception of service by slowly becoming a reality. Rote is definitely an interesting excercise.

Thank you for writing such nice things about my resort. I do value the personal touch very highly and only wish I had more time with my wonderful guests. Trying to at least say hello is definitely the higlight of my day.

I sincerely look forward to your renewed visit. It is ineed my pleasure to host you.

Best regards,
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013 via mobile

I made a reservation with The Sun Palace for 10 days in December. We then had to change the dates, so I cancelled the first reservation (cancellation number PRSON00036785) and made a new reservation. I received an email from The Sun Palace on 7th December stating that my deposit of US$841.68 would be credited to my bank account in 30 working days. Today this has not happened. I have contact the hote via phone and email on more than 5 occasions and was informed that I needed to send an email to a efisher@palaceresorts.com, which I did on 5th February and since sent 2 reminders. Again todate, I have heard nothing.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Bogota, Colombia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Loved the hotel, amazing rooms, amazing food, fantastic beach and pool, like 10 minutes away from La Isla shopping mall bus ride. Stunning rooms, just great! I would definitely go back, there are several restaurants but I only tried the main buffet one as it was fantastic

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

We stayed at the Sun Palace Feb 2nd to the 9th. The staff make this place very enjoyable. Champagne and cool towels greet you upon arrival. Check in went quick. We had booked a deluxe ocean view room and wanted to upgrade with our points. There was nothing available so we were put on a waiting list (which we kinda expected anyways). We were told we were upgraded to a junior suite but when we got to our room we were facing a restaurant - no ocean view there - they quickly rectified the situation and we were moved immediately. The staff at this resort bent over backwards to please us. The lock on the sliding door was broken and we called the front desk and the maintenance guy was there within minutes and installed a new one in record time. The next day we were called that our concierge room was available. We went to look at the room and it was identical to the room we were in but just on a higher floor. We were already settled in and very happy with our present room so we passed up the upgrade opportunity. The rooms were very spacious and clean. the only down side was they were a bit noisy, you could hear everything through the walls and ceiling especially when the people above you decided to have a hot tub at 3am. We used some of our credits for a couples hot rock massage. We highly recommend it. The Lobby bar served top notch liquor. The beach is heavenly. Lots of beach chairs for everyone. I loved that you did not need to get up early to save one. Our beach waiter Mauricio was the best ever.. Our glasses were never empty. The boys setting up the chairs and umbrellas on the beach were awesome as well. The entertainment crew were engaging and very personable. The food was good. The best restaurant is the Italian. We recommend you ask for a flaming Spanish coffee after your dinner. The buffet always had a great variety. Our waiter Jesus, remembered our drink preferences which was a nice touch. The food in the oriental restaurant was very good but kinda dark and hard to read the menu. Our experience at the Steak restaurant however was not so great. Meat was tough and not cooked as requested. Had a steak in the Italian restaurant and it melted in your mouth.??? Overall we had a fantastic vacation and we will definitely be back. We love the smaller places with great service.

• Stayed February 2013

Been to Sun Palace? Share your experiences!