“Amazing Honeymoon” 5 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Sun Palace to your Saves list
Orbitz.com Booking.com
Sun Palace
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd. Kukulcan Km 20 | Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save up to 30% off
Ranked #6 of 175 hotels in Cancun
Hamden, Connecticut
“Amazing Honeymoon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

My wife and I celebrated our honeymoon at the Sun Palace from late December and into the New Year and had the greatest vacations of our lives. Typically by the end of your vacation you are ready to go, ready for your own bed and daily routine or what not. Not this vacation, my wife and I jokingly were pretending to cry as we were packing up to leave. As soon as you enter the hotel you are treated like kings and queens and that the Sun palce is your castle to do whatever you want in. Our bags were taken from us the moment we exited our cab and from that point forward we didn't need to lift another finger if we didn't want to as the staff was there for whatever you needed.
It started with champaigne and cool towels as we waited in line to check in. Check in was quick and easy and we then were told about the $1500 in resort credits which, to be honest, we didn't even know about. We then sat down with the vacation planners and they were very helpful and not pushy at all. To our amazement we were then told "here is your voucher to go see r&b singer Usher". We were like "what!" Yes we were given free tickets to see Usher live in concert....amazing. I've seen some people on here complaining about the resort credits and how its a scam and blah blah blah. I don't understand what those people are talking about, here's what our experience with the resort credits was. You have to pay 11% tax at the end so basically if you use all of your credits it costs you $165 american dollars extra at the end when you check out. This $165 got me and my wife all of the following: Upgraded room with ocean view, 25 minute individual massages, one hour couples massage, swimming with dolphins, romantic couples dinner, half day at wet n wild and snorkling trip to isla mujeres. Are you kidding me, thats gotta be minimum 700-1,000 dollar value for $165 bucks. Yes they did want us to go one morning to Moon Palace for the presentation to join some club but we cancelled the morning of and never heard a peep about it the rest of our trip. Just don't go, although I must say if I had the money to do so I probably would join based on the amazing time we had.
The couples only part was awesome as like the entertainment staff says "no kids, no teenagers only adults who are in love!" We absolutely loved the beach and the pool and the staff was always there to help, the couple days we chiled on the beach we were immediately greeted by the staff and brought to chairs, had umbrellas set up for us and cocktails within minutes. As I said before you just feel like a king. We ended up venturing to the pool one day when the waves were getting rough and this is where we ended up having some of our most fun. I can't say enough about Fransisco, Vanessa and the rest of the entertainment team. They were fun, hilarious and informative and we really ended up feeling like they were friends by the end of the trip. There is always some sort of activity going like water volleyball, beach voleyball, mexican bingo games, water aerobics, crazy games and so on, they do their best to get everyone fired up. My wife and I ended up meeting some very nice couples whom we neer would of met or interacted with if it weren't for the entertainment team. I also want to say what a great job they did on New Year's Eve throwing a giant party in the ball room where the entertanment team was firing everyone up again as we danced the night away into 2013.
As far as the food, we loved it. Breakfast wasn't necessarily amazing but it got the job done and I have no complaints there. Lunch by the pool was very very good as they had a chef out there griling whatever you wanted fresh there for you. Service by the pool and ocean were awesome as you never had to wait for your drinks very long and they were always double and triple checking on you to see if you needed anything. You gotta try the funky monkey frozen drink, no clue whats in it but it was a great daytime, hang by the pool treat. Dinner was phenomenal, we ate most of the nights at La Tratto and it was excellent. The wait staff was so good and I have to give a shout out to Jorge who was the perfect blend of proffesionalism, attentiveness and hillariousness as beleive it or not we randomly had him as our waiter all four times we ate in La Tratto. The Oriental Lounge was also incredible and so beautiful outside on the rooftop, super romantic and great food. The Alamo for dinner was just ok, the service once again was impeccable but the food was just blah. So my advice is stick to La Tratto and the Oriental Lounge.
As far as night life the lobby bar was nice as well and as I saw an earlier review complain abouit the ping pong table but please don't get rid of it, my wife and I actually enjoyed it very much. It is couples only and adults only so its not like there was spring break raging parties going on but there was always something to do if you wanted to. The Friday night fire show, which we didn't even know about until the entertainment staff grabbed us out of the lobby to see was awesome and there were various activities going on throughout our stay in the lobby bar. In all honesty we only saw past midnight 3 of the 8 nights we were there because we just had so much fun during the day that we were wiped out by 10 or so.
I guess the best thing that can be said about Sun Palace is that after a day or two it just felt like home. We visited some other places off property on our trip and whenever the shuttle or bus dropped us back off at Sun Palace we both looked at each other and said "Ah, were home." It was just such a relaxing atmosphere and if you wanted to go crazy and do tons of stuff you could and if you wanted to do absolutely nothing and relax you could do that too. The choice was yours, and we will be choosing to go back to Sun Palace as soon as finacially possible because of the great service and atmosphere that was provided.

Thankyou so much

PS: I would like to make one very serious suggestion as I know the General Manager reads this forum. The bottom of the pool where the sports are played is extremely rough on the feet. I actually cut my feet 3 or 4 times and by the last day or two I had to wear sneakers into the pool to play volleyball because they hurt so bad. I thought it was just me but a couple of other guys were saying the same thing and a couple guys actually quit playing because it was hurting their feet. Don't know if the little nubs at the bottom could be sanded down or something but it was definitely an issue for all of us. Also I'm not sure if it is the case in every room but in our room the bed was on wheels which we absolutely hated. Being that it is a "couples" only hotel the wheels on the bed made it very difficult to fully enjoy our time without getting creative if you know what I mean.

3,147 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (850)
  • Korean first
Milwaukee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

My husband and I had a great trip to the Sun Palace in May. There are plenty of reviews here that will tell you about all of the positives of this resort, but I thought I would highlight a few areas that need improving because I know that the Sun Palace strives to improve and succeed.

The resort is small and quiet, and that is exactly what we wanted. We didn't want beer bongs, and shenanigans, if that is your scene, there are plenty of resorts like that elsewhere in Cancun. Most of the other vacationers were honeymooners or empty nesters, and everyone was friendly and well behaved. The staff was great, drinks were plentiful and well-made and we thought the food was great. The skirt steak at the poolside grill was outstanding and we were very sad that we didn't try it until the second to last day!

Our first room was a laughable joke and overlooked the hotel's HVAC unit, and looked into the questionable hotel next door. The next morning, we upgraded to the Concierge level and the problem of our bummer room was solved. The upgraded room was beautiful and we took advantage of room service, pillow menu, aromatherapy, and the huge hot tub.

The spa at the resort was average, but if you want a spa vacation, it seems that several of the other Palace resorts are more Spa-like. As part of the concierge level, you get a short couples massage, which isn't a massage with out significant other, but rather each of you gets a massage in a room by yourself. My husband was massaged by a teen boy, which he did not enjoy at all. I also had a young male masseuse, who, after my massage, put me in a chair in a waiting room and forgot about me. After 20 minutes, his supervisor finally led me back to the main dressing area. So, the couples massage was something we could have done without.

While we were in Cancun, we experienced what I would assume was a weather anomaly; the weather was very windy and rained a few times. This wasn't a huge issue for us, we could swim, read CNN the beach, and walk in the sand in-between the showers, but it did mean that as soon as the sun set behind the building, the pools were too cold to use. During the day, they were awesome, but around 4:30pm, you'd think you were swimming in Lake Michigan in May! The hot tub is something that also needs to be addressed, because it was only about 85 degrees, (which just feels gross,) and a nice hot swim would have been perfect on the day it poured rain!

We went to several evenings of entertainment and the fire show was really great. The retro show and hypnotist shows weren't amazing, but if you are looking for something to do, it is something to do. After 10pm, there isn't much else to do at the resort, so we would usually grab a few drinks and head up to our room to play cards and read. We would have loved a nice lounge. As I've already mentioned, most people at the resort are easy-going, so I am not sure why the resort has a disco. it seems that most of us in there would have loved for the music to be lowered to a normal volume so we could have a few mellow drinks and without repeated pleas from the entertainment crew to get up and dance to "Rumpshaker.". Yup, rumpshaker. I kid not. Hopefully the addition of the sports bar will add a place for people to hang out without loud music, but a wine bar would be even better. People could use their hotel credits to buy nicer wines by the glass. Throw a piano in there and hire a jazz pianist to play. People love to sing along to Billy Joel a lot more than they love dancing to Rumpshaker. I promise.

This trip wasn't perfect, but it was great. Wild weather, and a few glitches at the hotel can't take away from a great trip if you are there with someone spectacular. We have great memories of the Sun Palace, and the ice- cold beers that we drank as soon as we arrived at the hotel are amongst the best I've ever tasted. We are planning on trying out the Moon Palace with our children for our next trip.

Room Tip: The tropical sun is much stronger than you are used to! Make sure that you use lots of sunscreen, e...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Westland, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

We just got back from our 5th trip to the Sun Palace a few weeks ago and it just keeps amazing us! The staff is the best you will find anywhere. If you are looking for a relaxing ADULTS ONLY resort then this is the place for you! Its small size makes for a more personal relationship with the staff. We are on a first name basis with almost everyone that works there. Our tans are barely faded and we have already booked a return trip for March. We could go on and on about all the great things about this fantastic resort, but all the previous “5" ratings have said it already. This will be our 6th trip here...that says it all!

Everyone on the staff from the top to the bottom treats us like family. Marisol and Pamela in Public Relations are a huge asset to this resort. Jamie at the front desk has treated us with class from the first time we met. Our Concierge Javiar made our reservations and plans effortless for us. Elfega, Maria, Francisco, Miriam and all the rest of the staff were absolutely superb!

While on the subject of the fabulous employees, we do want to mention one thing: Tipping. These employees work so hard and tipping them for their hard work is the right and gracious thing to do. We saw quite a few people not tip and it just breaks our hearts. We always budget for tipping and wouldn't dream of not doing it.

The one thing that always baffles us is the people that complain (whine) about the drinks not being strong enough. The bartenders will mix your drinks however you want. If you want to be falling down drunk before noon that is your choice. They are just trying to make sure that you don’t get too much too soon - but, again, that is your choice. If you want a full glass of straight vodka they will certainly oblige but you will be in your room recovering most of the time.

This resort is so beautiful. Enjoy it to its fullest!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

We spent ten days in Cancun in mid January. Retiree and spouse in a wheelchair. The handicapped accessable room really was accessable. The hotel had obviously put some thought into making the room accessable, which we have found is unusual in our travels.
The resort is a smaller one in the Palace collection, and was just the right size for us; the restrauants were not overly busy, there were lounges and chairs readily available poolside; and the staff was very accommodating and helpful with the issues around wheelchair access.
Overall the Sun Palace was the right choice for a restful, rexaling vacation. Good rooms, food, service and weather.

Guildford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Cancun is 10 hours out and 9 hours back, so if you are going there you need to have a good hotel. The Sun Palace is an all-inclusive couples only hotel. It has six restaurants and options for concierge floor accommo. This gives personal check-in and individual service to book trips etc. They also give $1500 dollars ' Resort Credit ' to upgrade your wine, have massages, nail treatments, go on trips etc. My wife and I were only there for 6 days and we barely got through one half of this. Because of easy access from the USA the hotel was full of Americans with some Canadians. We were the only Brits.
Best of all was the staff attitude which was the best I have encountered(and I travel quite a lot ) without exception they fell over themselves to be helpful and friendly. There is a difference where staff do this as a part of management instructions, or whether they do it naturally. This was definitely the latter. I even had a Spanish lesson while I was there on a one to one basis.
There are over 300 hundred hotels in Cancun and they cover the full spectrum of price and what they offer. This was somewhere a bit north of centre price wise, and was therefore not cheap, but they definitely delivered on their promise.
It fronts onto a beach which gave a pleasant 40 minute walk each morning.
This is not normally the kind of holiday that I wold use, but I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel as it delivered so well.

Room Tip: If you feel that you will use the concierge service then go for it. We didn't really utilise it...
St. Louis Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

This was our first trip to Sun Palace...we were not disappointed. The food was great at all restaurants. Lunch by the pool included your choice of freshly grilled steaks, squid, fish and of course burgers and dogs along with a buffet of sides and condiments. Our room was awesome…somewhat contemporary with hot tub. The entire resort was always in immaculate condition. Best of all were the people who made our experience so great, especially Ramon behind the bar with Consuelo and Maria providing perfect service wherever and whenever. Their friendly and personal service enhanced our vacation n stay…thanks to you guys!!

Room Tip: Part of our trip included $1500.00 in Palace resort dollars. We used some of this to upgrade to the...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Plymouth, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Adults Only. Quiet Areas And fun areas. Friendliest Staff on the planet. As members we knew what to expect and were not disappointed. If you are looking for ultraposh,, try elsewhere.If you want to feel warm and accepted this is the place. All of the workers were attentive and happy to be doing what they were doing. Especially fun is Francisco from Jalisco the pool activities guy. Get to know Vanessa, also at the pool. She will amaze you with her world geographical knowledge. Carlos at the Thai restaurant is a world class waiter.
And my wife found Jesus while at the Sun Palace! That is Jesus the masseur who relieved her shoulder problem and made her stay infinitely more enjoyable.
To sum up, we felt relaxed from the second day on and positively melted by the end of our stay.

Room Tip: They have a seventh and eighth floor. Might have been fun.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sun Palace? Share your experiences!