“Sun Palace November 2012” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sun Palace

You added Sun Palace to your Saves list
Sun Palace
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd. Kukulcan Km 20 | Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #4 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Delta, Canada
“Sun Palace November 2012”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

My wife and I chose the Sun Palace for a belated 25 Anniversary trip ( as we are past our 26th now...lol ). Couples only was a joy... really.

The staff treat you like royalty and were a delight to see every day.

Nancy was awesome, helping us decide which excursions to choose, and explained how we could spend our credits... we spent all $1500 !

The food was pretty good here... breakfasts and lunches at the Alamo, or snack bars were great. We tried the Italian once... it had great service, ambiance, etc... everything but great food, just fair. My wife's pasta was salty and not very good. My food was quite bland.

Efran the restaurant manager somehow found out i was playing with my hot tamales at during our Mexican Dinner in the Alamo one evening. My wife thought I would like them, so I ordered them.. but they were not what I expected. Efran explained that tamales were a staple food in Mexico, not necessarily a first choice. I felt bad about not liking them, and really didn't want to make a big deal about it. He offered to replace the meal and really tried to look after me. He remembered us by name the following evening when we had dinner on the beach... he was thoughtful and his concern was kindly appreciated. My tip, don't order the Hot Tamales!

The concierge room was terrific. The only complaint was the hallway noise. I'm not sure this can be alleviated due to lack of carpets, but the gaps above and below the door could be decreased. Clean, well kept, all we could ask for during our holidays!

Also, we never saw who cleaned our room, it was always fixed up while we were away. Tip for the hotel here... It would be nice if the maids name was left on a card in the room, something like 'This room is cleaned by Jane, let me know if I can provide anything during your stay'. We left a larger tip at the end of the 8 days, so I am not sure if our maid received it or if they switched employees.

It was also difficult to keep up with enough US$ and Peso's for tips, the front desk was the only local spot to receive change. The desk often had nothing, and should have ample supply of small change $20/$50 Pesos and $1/$5 US bills. The staff deserves decent tips... which we were happy to provide all week long.

The beach was awesome! The service was fantastic, the surf was pounding but the water was nice. Beware, once you get in, the current can carry you a block or more down the beach before you know it!

Martin in the gift shop was always smiling and happy to help.

We did the Xplor and Swim with the Dolphin excursions... both were great!

The best part of the Sun Palace is it's staff. We would stay here again.
Mike and Liz

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,047)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Windsor, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Everything was amazing at the Sun Palace. Two couples went as a spring vacation together. The men took advantage of using resort credits for golf and the ladies for spa treatments. All were impressed with their services. The resort entertainment was good, Alejandro was awesome! They kept folks entertained, offering some poolside, beach, and lounge activites, without being overbearing or obnoxious as some other resorts have. The food was fabulous at every meal. The poolside service and bartenders, especially Luis, were great, got to know you on a first name basis and rememberede your order from day to day. The beach and water are top notch. We were upgraded to a presidential suite, so the two couples shared a large living area with television and diningroom table, as well as having our own separate rooms, baths, balcony, and hot tubs. We enjoyed ordering room service for breakfast and enjoying this in our robes and slippers. The waiter in the Japanese Restaurant who called both of our men Senor Steven was hillarious and kept the saki coming. This was probably our best vacation we have taken thanks to the staff, ammenities, and views at teh Sun Palace!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
fife Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

From the minute we arrived to the minute you leave, we left, we were made to feel very important. Nothing is too much trouble, and service is 2nd to none. The room we had was large and impeccable. Food is first class, totally different to any other AI. We had no problems during our stay so cannot comment on the service. As this is adults only it added to the appeal with no children running, allowing us to relax.

Elkton, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

We visited in Jan 2010 and then again in Nov 2012, both times we had an excellent time!

The place is really clean, the employees are excellent and it's a great value for the money. We were treated like royalty!

My husband and I really like that it's couples only as well. No crying or screaming kids and the other people that are there are in relationships as well so you don't have the pick up club atmosphere. It's also a super convenient ride from the airport (15 mins) but yet no airport noise. At km marker 20 it's a distance from the center of downtown but that suited us just perfect as we wanted to relax, not go clubbing!

We've never stayed at the same place twice (let alone the same destination) but we'd definitely return a third time!

Room Tip: Concierge is a nice treat and depending on resort credits, you can upgrade for free.
Middlesboro, Kentucky, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

My fiancé and I went to the Sun Palace back in March (RCI booking) this year looking to go somewhere where we could have a high class experience and get a whole lot of R&R.

While the hotel was beautiful, the food delicious, and rooms very well kept and romantic, we did run into a few issues that ended up making our stay not what we had imagined.

One of the biggest issues we had was with the location of our room. My fiancé and I are 23 years of age and felt that as a young couple, we were looked down upon by many of the staff members at the front desk/sign in. (The wait staff, housekeeping, pool staff, etc were awesome and very welcoming.) When we first got there, we looked to try to upgrade our room to consigners, which unfortunately was all booked at that point. We asked then if we could be accommodated one of the higher floor rooms since we were looking to have a quiet vacation. We were told that they were all booked as well and that the only room available for us was the first floor room over the club area. This wasn't a huge deal for us at first because it was still an awesome room, but every night that we were there, the club and people in the lobby were so loud we couldn't get much sleep. Because of it, we asked the following three days (every morning) if we could move rooms due to the noise issue. Again and again we were turned down by the staff for a room. We KNEW that they weren't just booked because day in and day out, people were leaving and coming. I don't know if it was because of our age that they felt we weren't worth the time or what but it made our vacation less than desirable.

Second, and more minor note, was that we would have breakfast in bed almost every morning. They were always prompt and very friendly. However, 5 out of the 7 days we were there, they got our order wrong. One day, we were served one plate meal and 5 large juices!

I did end up contacting the hotel after our departure and was emailed by the manager Pablo Winkler apologizing for our issues on our visit.

We are currently planning a trip back to Cancun for our Honeymoon and right now are looking to stay somewhere else based off of our experience.

Room Tip: Go high! Less noise and great view.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

My husband and I were looking for a relaxing vacation and chose this all inclusive couples only resort. We had a fantastic time. The resort was beautiful and clean, it was on the smaller size which was perfect. They have 3 pools and we hit everyone of them. The beach is also right there with chairs and umbrellas. The staff there were also very nice and accomodating. Keveen was our conciegere and did an exceptional job making sure that we were taken care of and all of needs met. The only bad thing that I can say was the steaks were not very good I tried a couple of them but was disappointed, but the rest of the food was good. I would definately recommend this resort. This was our first time at the Sun Palace and I will coming back.

Room Tip: If you have the option to upgrade your room I would suggest that you do it.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

Wanted to get away and spend some time relaxed and calm and not worry too much about too many activities..went there for thanksgiving and stayed a little longer. They gave us a warm welcome with a nice lemonade (we don't drink alcohol), else you'll get champagne, and a flower.
the check in took some time for us..since we had to use the resort credit and were wondering if we had to upgrade the room, so we checked out both the rooms and decided to upgrade - the only reason being we have the view of the blue sea. else the rooms are really well maintained and clean.

Resort Credit :I know a lot of people have given their opinions about using the credits, it's totally up to each couple and their preferences. so go there see for yourself and then decide what to do and not do. keep in mind - you have to pay taxes and most of the time transportation isn't included if you choose an activity and lunch won't be included in the package.
this is what my husband and I thought : Tours - look at other options, it's ok if you have to spend more money ,somehow once you get there you get so many brochures and have so many options of tours and many include transportation and it is relatively cheaper too.
Stay away from the offer that they make you - breakfast on us one hour meeting at hard rock or wherever, bring your credit card and there'll be a raffle to see who wins and winner gets a 2 day free stay on yr next trip etc..they won't tell you it's time share but just be aware and thank God we didn't fall for it..else we would have wasted alooot of our holiday time.

Staff: they are excellent...too good..the service is just soo good by far the best experience I have ever had. I've been to five star luxury hotels for our honey moon in India but nothing of that comes close to how you are being treated here! So yeah!! hats off to the management and the people who work there awesome job! you made our holiday absolutely comfortable and memorable.

I see some real bad ratings and for sure sun palace doesn't deserve a 1 or 2 star..it's real nice!

the people there just keep working so hard to keep the resort looking good and catering to the needs of everyone..the beach is clean and blue and you can just keep gazing at the ocean - your camera wouldn't do justice to what you see with your eyes! absolutely marvelous.

Spa: I never knew there was a steam room and no one told me about it , till I read it somewhere is another's review? I took the aroma therapy and it was wonderful..but just that when it was done I felt so oily....so I just assumed you'd probably have to shower in your own room?

we had the romantic dinner by the beach..it was nice..but I didn't like the food that much..the chicken was soo salty..but that's ok..that was a different experience altogether.
the oriental lounge was good..please try their deserts reall nice. But my husband and I are like big Thai food fans, and it tasted a lot different from the thai food you get here in the usa..so nothing to complain about..

the complementary desserts you get every evening -Wow! yummy :) Oh yes before I forget , some people had problem with the food menus not being changed? I never saw that during our stay..they have a lot of variety and so much on display every day. you can also try the other palace resorts if you'd like to go there for lunch / dinner..

and please note: when you are there just be gentle with your doors. we were there I think toward the end of the third floor and I don't know why the people living next to us had to just bang the doors all the time?!? I mean all the time..it's woken me up a few times at night..that was the only issue at night..
and once your out in the balcony and you've ordered(room service) something - you can't hear them knocking on your door at all....a door bell would be good I guess just a suggestion.

I miss the blue ocean, the genuine smiles on the peoples faces when they say "hola" :) taking back wonderful memories..
Loved it! Thank you!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Sun Palace? Share your experiences!